proposed ferilizer plant in Wever

proposed ferilizer plant in Wever

Posted in the Burlington Forum

Sensible Jim

San Diego, CA

#1 Mar 20, 2012
It's been a month since we heard about this. At first, I was all for it. But I think we need to start talking about this and all that this Egyptian company wants from Lee County and from Iowa. I know it's 165 jobs. That's all good. But how much should county and state residents pay for those jobs when this company is going to be shipping their profits overseas? There has to be a point that we are giving away too much. All of us were appalled when we heard that GE and huge corporations don't pay federal income tax. This company is no different. They may end up paying to the IRS but they are getting it all back. The environmental impact is huge also to build down there where it flooded less than 30 years ago.
Sensible Jim

Englewood, CO

#2 Apr 4, 2012
Some of the Lee County Supervisors are already claiming that they have not given away tax money to the foreign billionaires who want to pollute the Green Bay Bottoms. Don't believe them. The supervisors voted in February to give $320,000 to the wealthiest family in Egypt through the Iowa Fertilizer Company, a shell company of the Orascom Construction Industries. It's part of a plan to build a chemical-based business on land several feet below the Mississippi River and protected by questionable levees. Please sign the petition at www.wearelee.com .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burlington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Donald Trump: On raising rates, running mates a... (Oct '15) Jan 7 Elementals Squared 17
Sheriff Mike Johnstone - Hypocrite Jan 7 Underscore 1
News Autumn Steele protest to take place today (May '15) Nov '16 Will Dockery 8
Clowns Oct '16 Question 1
Moving to Burlington (Sep '13) Oct '16 Chelsea 2
Lindy Miller Sep '16 Just Justin 1
News Steel matter is a test case for the IPIB. Sep '16 Gina 1

Burlington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Burlington Mortgages