Lisa L

Rockport, ME

#21 Jun 13, 2009
robby s wrote:
back in the sixties. we all would go to kay's gag shop after school (wheeler school) that was right behind it. i actually think we would cut through there on our walk home. the only thing i remember is playing pinball after school and buying packs of those candy cigarettes that had bubble gum inside them.
I too remember going to Kay's on the way home from Wheeler school in the 60's. I lived on Cassidy Drive and used to either walk through the woods behind her shop, which was very scary at the time and cutting thru Betsy Road, or stop by her store for candy on the way home. I don't remember it smelling like cat urine way back then, but it sure was creepy going in there. We were only allowed to go in one part of the store at that time - where the candy and comic books were. Used to think she was a witch and buried people in the woods behind her shop. I also remember the pizza's from West Main Pizza in New Britain (now they are in Plainville)- I've stopped in there passing thru on my way south and the pizza still smells and tastes the way I remember it.
Lana Joy

Easthampton, MA

#22 Jul 23, 2009
How come everyone was 12 when they first went to Kays? So was I! My grandmother brought me there. Tooth blackening stuff, I still have, 30 years later!! I actually went back about 20 years ago, what a goof! Nothing had changed!
David Pipeling

Sandy Hook, CT

#23 Jul 25, 2009
Caitlin Corless wrote:
A friend of mine just moved to Plainville and while I was giving him a brief overview of life in Plainville I recalled Kay's Gag Shop, which used to be on Farmington Avenue. After googling "Kay's Gag Shop" and getting no results, I found myself a bit sad to see that there was no evidence that this place ever existed. It's the quirks like Kay's Gag Shop that make me think so fondly of my hometown. I know no place like Plainville, CT. I'd like to learn a bit more about this shop, about the woman who ran it. If anyone has any stories they would like to share about the place, I would love to hear about them.
I read your request and will let you know that Kays is something I know a lot about. However some things are better left unsaid as many unsavory things went on with that family who owned and ran that shop. I would even go as far as saying that anyone who owns that propert would be advised to watch for ghosts and evil spirits.
I used to live close by to Wheeler School. That place was the pits of Plainville.
BRUCE KALASHNIKOV

Wolcott, CT

#24 Aug 8, 2009
David Pipeling wrote:
<quoted text> I read your request and will let you know that Kays is something I know a lot about. However some things are better left unsaid as many unsavory things went on with that family who owned and ran that shop. I would even go as far as saying that anyone who owns that propert would be advised to watch for ghosts and evil spirits.
I used to live close by to Wheeler School. That place was the pits of Plainville.
YES!!! HAUNTED.. THERE IS A story by cosmicsociety.com and it shows pics of ghosts on kays property. Its under BRISTOL HAUNTING- cause thats where the family moved. KAY is STILL ALIVE in 2009 at a rest home. That 20 year old pic was her Daughter Killed in a Auto Accident. Her husband was Murdered in Back of the shop. He was stabbed 77 times. The killer is due to be released possibly by parole in the near future. It was a case of Mistaken Identity over a Bad "Deal". KAY was into OUIJA BOARDS and into TAROT cards. As when you see those pics about the GAG SHOP on the site before. you will know how real it is. Outside of that, the remaining Family are still alive and leading a chemical lifestyle. Outside of the box, I KNOW all of them personally. In fact there is a DISTANT family blood connection to me. However, in no way is there any resembelance to myself.
Bob

Southington, CT

#25 Sep 27, 2009
I know Katherine and boy you people have most of your facts messed up. Its long story but if you want to here I will poost the facts correctly.
Paula Rodgers

Deep River, CT

#26 Jan 22, 2010
Bob wrote:
I know Katherine and boy you people have most of your facts messed up. Its long story but if you want to here I will poost the facts correctly.
I soooooo want to hear the story!!!!!!!!
David R

Williamsburg, VA

#27 Feb 1, 2010
Lived in the neighborhood in the 60's and delivered newspapers in surrounds around Kay's. Used to stop and buy penny candy and play the 5 cent pinball machines.
Pete

Plainville, CT

#28 Feb 23, 2010
I grew up on Betsy Rd in the the 80's and walked past Kays everyday and went in there alot. I have to wonder does anybody have any old photos of the shop?
Bill-mescal-az

Dallas, TX

#29 May 9, 2010
I used to go to Kays after school (wheeler) before softball or soccer practice or before catechism class. She was a very pleasant woman.I do remember her daughter and son-inlaw and the 2 grandsons who all lived there in the back of the store.I believe her daughter died in a car accident around 1970. I think the son-inlaw got murdered around 1985. I remember the 10 cent pinball machine,the penny candy (squirrel nuts, bubble gum cigarettes, ect) the fake dog crap,the stink bombs,..yes that place was one of a kind!
James DiLoreto

Plainville, CT

#30 Aug 15, 2010
My brother and I were just searching for Kay's Gag Shop on Google and were disappointed with the lack of results. We were happy to find this message thread though, keeping the memory of the Gag Shop alive. As kids we would always go to Kay's Gag Shop completely mesmerized by Kay and the odd assortment of masks and gags on the old shelves. As someone else in this thread said, Kay's Gag Shop is burned into my memory.

If anyone has any pictures of this place please post them!
Paula Rodgers

Avon, CT

#31 Oct 11, 2010
Kay has a facebook page....

"Kay's Gag Shop Fanatics"
Chris Murphy

Charlotte, NC

#32 Oct 17, 2010
I remember going there in the late 70s-early 80s and there must have been hundreds of cats in that little store. Kay always had the little joke toys and haloween masks and makeup.

My older brother would buy smoke bombs while my mom would talk to Kay for what seemed like forever about all her wild stories.

We always had a lot of fun there and I have great memories from my childhood of the various things I managed to con my mom into buying for my brothers and me.

Kay epitomized the the crazy old cat woman that lives in a trailer down by the river!
Lisa Lewis

Rockport, ME

#33 Oct 18, 2010
Paula Rodgers wrote:
<quoted text>
I soooooo want to hear the story!!!!!!!!
Hi Paula, Was wondering if you had a sister named Mary and if you lived on Cassidy Drive.
Lisa Lewis

Rockport, ME

#34 Oct 18, 2010
Hi Paula, I was wondering if you had a sister named Mary and if you lived on Cassidy Drive.
Paula Rodgers

Salem, CT

#35 Oct 19, 2010
Lisa Lewis wrote:
Hi Paula, I was wondering if you had a sister named Mary and if you lived on Cassidy Drive.
No.... sorry.... lived on Ashford... close though!!!!
Paula Rodgers

Salem, CT

#36 Oct 19, 2010
ANYONE THAT KNOWS ANY KAY INFO.... PLEASE SPILL... DOES ANYONE HAVE A PICTURE???? ANYTHING SUBSTANTIAL????
Chris Q

Hartsville, SC

#37 Dec 3, 2010
I lived on Cassidy Drive in the late 70's and went to Kay's as often as my older brother would take me. Wheeler to Cassidy Drive was great adventures for us 8 to 10 year olds. Although, I was not allowed to go into Kay's without my older brother. My regular stop was the Cumberland Farms store for a bottle of soda, often purchased with some returnable bottles. (Holy cow ~ I was just overwhelmed with early childhood memories that I didn't even know I had.)
Todd Couto Antrim NH

Warner, NH

#38 Mar 14, 2011
I used to hang out with the Winters boy in 1975-76 time frame. Went to plainvill Jr. High. Yes, cat urine was the smell of the day every day. one thing i remember is that noone was allowed in the house when i hung out there. I believe Kay was a practicing witch. Back then you had to still hide that shit. Now they are all over. All in all the store was extremely cool.
Be P

Berlin, CT

#39 May 27, 2011
I used to tag along when my mother would take my older brother there. I was shocked on one visit when I saw a woman who rented an apartment from us sitting behind the counter. Her name was Mrs. Morey(NOT the owner Kay).
I don't remember if I asked my mother what that was all about as I was too young to remember.
Does anyone remember this woman?
Memories

Berlin, CT

#40 May 27, 2011
For anyone interested:

Kay(Katherine Benoit) passed away at the age of 88 on Nov. 25th, 2004.

This, according to the SSDI.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burlington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News UFO Sighting: Bristol, Connecticut; Nightly (Mar '08) Feb '17 Luccas 91
News Long-delayed Bridgeport factory conversion coul... Nov '16 America Gentleman... 5
jerking off with buddies (Apr '15) Aug '16 Looking for fun 3
Strange woman on Unionville Bridge? (Jul '10) Aug '16 Eva 8
News How Many Bear Sightings Have Been Reported in D... (Jul '15) Jul '15 Beemannorth 1
News MySpace In Sex Assault Probe (Feb '06) Apr '15 spen 424
News Sessions Woods In Burlington Has It All For Nat... (Oct '08) Jan '15 Billd 6

Burlington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Burlington Mortgages