Saint Jo's siren call is right for Brock

There are 20 comments on the Apr 3, 2013, Times Record News story titled Saint Jo's siren call is right for Brock. In it, Times Record News reports that:

Ryan Evans/Bowie News Saint Jo's new police chief, Laura Brock, has been on the job since January and says she slikes small town law enforcement.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Times Record News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Laughing

Carrollton, TX

#1 May 16, 2013
Hmmm the right call but now she has been fired. How do you like that small town atmosphere now. After you pull the knives out of your back. You may want to come back to the big city. Lol
Get real

Cleburne, TX

#2 May 16, 2013
Laughing wrote:
Hmmm the right call but now she has been fired. How do you like that small town atmosphere now. After you pull the knives out of your back. You may want to come back to the big city. Lol
I am in the dark. What happened to Reynolds and why did this new person get fired?
Curious

Keller, TX

#3 May 21, 2013
Yes I am curious too as to why she was fired all of a sudden. I am not buying this for financial reasons story, if that is the case then Saint Jo did not plan that out very well. That excuse also makes Saint Jo look bad, what decent law enforcement officer wants to be Chief in a town that fires Chiefs left and right, sure not me.
Billy Reynolds

Dallas, TX

#4 May 24, 2013
I resigned after they fired an Officer illegally before doing a proper investigation, and not following their approved by them City of Saint Jo personnel policy. Not sure what happened to Chief Brock but I can say this budget cuts are made at the end of a physical year normally which is at the end of September. If there were budget constraints that caused her to lose her job that should have been known four month's ago when they hired her.Good Luck Saint Jo seems to me you need to clean house staring at the top.
just listening

Coweta, OK

#5 May 25, 2013
It is a shame that she was let go so quickly. She seemed to be breath of fresh air after the thugs that had been patroling that town
Puzzled

Kittanning, PA

#6 May 26, 2013
I figured that Saint Jo was rolling in dough after all of the tickets that have been given out over the last few years. So, why would they use the budget as an excuse to fire someone with all of that extra revenue coming in?
Billy Reynolds

Carrollton, TX

#7 Jun 5, 2013
Thugs?? Thats a good one. I am sure you are one of the ones that like Police patroling and doing their job until its you they catch. I gave five long years to that town and one year before that. Called out of bed in the middle of the night because Saint Jo didnt have a 24 hour Police Department. Called out of bed and hit by a truck mind you. But hey that was my fault to right after all you were there and witnessed it all right? I missed a lot of events with my family for Saint Jo but I am a thug. We I want to be the first to say thank you who ever you are hiding behind just listening. And whether you appreciate the service or not you are welcome for staying out nights away from my family for you and other citizens of Saint Jo. It really kills me you have a Police Department who is there for you and you cry about peoples safety due to the traffic so we wrote tickets then you complained that we were writing to much. Now your complaining because you have no police. Its no wonder you have a city officials that cant pay their own bills. Who else would take the job. While the honest hard working people are doing their best to survive this your blabbing on about thugs. You have t a clue what thugs are come to Dallas and I will show you some. You my friend are everything thats wrong with Saint Jo.
Curious

Keller, TX

#8 Jun 6, 2013
So can someone please elaborate the real reason that Laura was let go? I am not buying this budget story, I think there is more to it than that.

I have been a police officer for 15 years in the Fort Worth area and prior to that, a communications officer/jailer and Saint Jo was in my radar as a potential location after I retire. I have family in Saint Jo and I think it is an interesting little town but the way they run police officers off, I am swaying away.

Even after retirement and if I do go to another department, I am not looking for something short term.
just listening

Coweta, OK

#9 Jun 6, 2013
You never "caught me" doing anything as I am and always have been a law abiding citizen. I have not even had a speeding ticket in 5 years. But the fact that you stood up for and continue to stand up for the bully you hired (and we all know you knew his history) then, yes I'll lump you as a thug along with your little friend. I will also note that you degenerated into veiled threats pretty quickly in your post - you will "show me a thug" how? Are you going to throw me on the ground? Or just get your little friend to do it?
As far as your accident, no I did not witness it, and while I find it unfortunate you were hurt, I would also expect a trained police officer to manage to look both ways before pulling out into a busy intersection. Luckily you plowed into a truck and not some family traveling through.
Billy Reynolds

Carrollton, TX

#10 Jun 6, 2013
I can tell you this much curious and if you think I am being biased I understand. Saint Jo like most small towns depend on court income as a part of their annual budget. When I was Chief there Officers were very active as the citizens primary complaint was traffic control. Due to school zone safety concerns on a main state highway through town Officers conducted more traffic stops than any other function of their job. It is safe to say traffic was the main aspect of their job. Their we're no quotas and most that we're stopped we're given warnings. However there was an average of approximately 175 citations written a month. While we as Police Officers know this is not a lot of citations when you consider four officers wrote them which comes to roughly 43 citations per month or 3 citations per shift. That billed over $379,000 dollars a year. The city wasted money in other areas and depleted their general fund. When I left in November they had 60,000 in reserve but had already promised it to other projects. So essentially they were broke. Now I say that to say this. It is my belief they expected her to generate income and their are rumors they told her to. As you know being in Law Enforcement it is illegal to tell an officer who to write who not to write and how many tickets to write. So technically if this is true it was due budget constraints. However the underlying reason is she did not produce for them and that in my opinion is illegal. That's my two cents. Spend it wisely.
Billy Reynolds

Carrollton, TX

#11 Jun 6, 2013
Well just listening I never threatened you. I stated a simple fact I could take you to places here in Dallas and show you what thugs were. As far as my friend? He was an employee. I never stood up and said he was right or wrong in the second incident. How could I the City Officials violated the law which is why I resigned. He was cleared by the DA and the Texas Rangers of the first incident. Well actually they watched the video that the Nunnleys shot and cleared him. Ironic if he did something wrong why is he not in jail? As far as a Police Officer he did nothing wrong in Saint Jo and that is where that will end. As far as the truck accident you say you didn't witness it but already you assume I hit him. Well I can tell you this my injuries the damage to the vehicle inconsistencies in the drivers story and a not so well done accident report proves he hit me. Threaten you? I am appalled you would think I would stoop to that behavior. You definitely don't know me that's for sure. I have never layers my hands on anyone in that manner unless I was protecting someone or myself. But hey who ever you are God Bless you and know I don't hate you. I am not mad at anyone either. I am a firm believer in reep what you sow. Remember this always there are three sides to the truth what he said what the other guy said and what really happened. You think you know what happened but you don't unless you were there. Good luck to you and the citizens of Saint Jo. ;)
Reflection

Hemphill, TX

#12 Jun 8, 2013
Billy Reynolds wrote:
I can tell you this much curious and if you think I am being biased I understand. Saint Jo like most small towns depend on court income as a part of their annual budget. When I was Chief there Officers were very active as the citizens primary complaint was traffic control. Due to school zone safety concerns on a main state highway through town Officers conducted more traffic stops than any other function of their job. It is safe to say traffic was the main aspect of their job. Their we're no quotas and most that we're stopped we're given warnings. However there was an average of approximately 175 citations written a month. While we as Police Officers know this is not a lot of citations when you consider four officers wrote them which comes to roughly 43 citations per month or 3 citations per shift. That billed over $379,000 dollars a year. The city wasted money in other areas and depleted their general fund. When I left in November they had 60,000 in reserve but had already promised it to other projects. So essentially they were broke. Now I say that to say this. It is my belief they expected her to generate income and their are rumors they told her to. As you know being in Law Enforcement it is illegal to tell an officer who to write who not to write and how many tickets to write. So technically if this is true it was due budget constraints. However the underlying reason is she did not produce for them and that in my opinion is illegal. That's my two cents. Spend it wisely.
You say that most were given warnings. Well, I was not lucky enough to be in the "most" grouping. My ticket issued by you, Mr. Reynolds, was $178.00, if my memory serves me correctly. Yes, I was exceeding the speed limit; so, I legally deserved my ticket. I was doing 40 in a 30 zone.

You see my husband got sick just before we reached the DQ in Saint Jo, and I was trying to find out if he needed to stop. We were coming home from his last chemotherapy treatment, and he didn't feel like eating anything before we started for home. So, I thought that he might feel better if we stopped at the DQ so that he could eat, but he wanted to keep going. Since I had started reducing my speed before I approached the rodeo grounds, I was already driving the legal speed for the first two speed signs that I passed. It was just that the distraction of talking to my husband caused me to stall my reduction of speed for just a few moments.

During all of this, a car whizzed past me driving much, much faster than me. Unfortunately for me, you chose to stop me instead of the car which was posing a much greater danger to society than me.

You asked me why I was exceeding the speed limit to which I truthfully replied that I was distracted as I was talking. I was just about to tell you that my husband was sick when you took my license and went to your car. So, I intended to tell you when you returned with what I expected to just be a verbal warning. When you returned, you already had a ticket written out and presented it to me to sign. I felt there was nothing left for me to do but sign the ticket so that I could get my husband home to bed.

I did not appeal the ticket because my husband continued to be ill and later had more surgery; so, I did not feel that I should leave him in order to appear. I must tell you that the $178.00 ticket really hurt after all of the money that we had already spent on medical bills and would continue to spend for some time to come.

I just want to know where was my warning? Why wasn't I one of the "most" who received warnings? Why didn't you give me time to tell you why I was talking? Why didn't you care enough to ask me what I could have possibly been talking about that was so important that it distracted me? Why didn't you stop the car that was driving much faster than me? Did a 60 year old woman with a large wisp of gray hair and a frail man just look like easy targets or what? Again, I was guilty.
Curious

Keller, TX

#13 Jun 9, 2013
Thanks Billy, that makes sense now. It sounds to me that they need to clean out the mayor, council or whoever in Saint Jo if they are "encouraging" more citations.

Quotas, contacts or whatever you want to call it is illegal in Texas and the powers to be in Saint Jo need to realize that or else they are only going to end up in jail or only getting gypsy Police Chiefs and no one reputable to run their department.

And yes, the citation numbers you cited are not a lot of citations for having a major thoroughfare running through it as Saint Jo does. Where I am, we can write three speeding citations (starting at 11 mph over) per officer in a 30 minute period without even trying and that is without a major thoroughfare.

I do not know Laura Brock but I can say I feel bad for her, from what I read, she uprooted her family to take this job and then for it to end this way. Now I see why the Bowie News and/or Saint Jo would not post this story on the internet for all to read instead of just the subscribers (they refused to copy and paste the article for me when I sent them a message, told me I had to be a paper or ereader subscriber), any decent future police chief applicant for Saint Jo will do his research of teh department and to read something like this would be a BIG determining factor not to apply.

Stay safe all...
Curious

Keller, TX

#14 Jun 11, 2013
Well interesting, Saint Jo has posted the Police Chief's position again:

http://tml.associationcareernetwork.com/JobSe...

Good luck on getting some decent applicants seeing that the last Chief only lasted a few months.
Billy Reynolds

United States

#16 Jun 13, 2013
Reflections I am truly sorry that you were one of the ones who got a ticket instead of a warning. I can appreciate the fact that you were honest enough to get on here and admit you were wrong. I can honestly say that I don't remember stopping you so there is no way for me to tell you why you received a citation instead of a warning. Once again I am truly sorry life had dealt you a rough hand while I understand why you did not fight it due to your husbands issues understand the Saint Jo Police Department was not attacking you personally and was enforcing the law set by the state. Had you spoken to the Judge at the time he may have been able to help you in that aspect. Also I will say that Police in Saint Jo or any other city do not set the speed limits or the fine amounts. I will tell you also that it is completely outside of my nature to not listen to anyone's reason for speeding. I can also tell you that I do always ask why someone is speeding like you said. And I always write a citation to some one who says I was not paying attention. So that could be the reason I wrote you on that particular day. You could have taken the time to explain to me your husbands condition but I can not tell you now whether I still would have wrote it or not but knowing me you may have gotten off with a warning.
Curious

Denton, TX

#17 Jun 13, 2013
Billy Reynolds wrote:
By posting the Police Chief job after terminating a Chief for budget reasons?? I am confused if you can't afford the Chief you just got rid of why are you posting the job again? Do you realize Saint Jo by posting that on TML you just opened yourself up to another law suit. I mean all Brock needs to do is look online and see this and hire an attorney. Wow is all I can say. Good Luck Saint Jo. When yours your gets through his term there won't be a town left. So sad.
Well Billy, my thoughts exactly....you terminate a Chief for budgetary but then you post the position again... Are the higher ups there really that ignorant of what they are doing or do they think their applicants and/or Brock are so out of touch they do not see what is going on? Either way, that is a MAJOR red flag to avoid a Chief's position on that town.

If I was a citizen of that town, I would be demanding answers as to what is going on in City Hall and working toward eliminating the problem(s), this not only effects their crime rate but also it really makes the town government look bad.

I can say without a doubt though, this last month or so has shown me that Saint Jo is definitely out of my radar as a potential Police Chief's position after retirement and it is a shame with the number of relatives I have in that area.
NoNameFace

La Marque, TX

#18 Jul 18, 2013
Billy went to Bardwell with his buddies the Spurgeons. At least he isn't in Saint Jo anymore. Someone bring back Jonathan! He was the longest 2 tenured Chiefs in recent history!
Billy Reynolds

Carrollton, TX

#19 Jul 31, 2013
Why do you think Jonathan left? That's the way Saint Jo is always has been and always will be. We did nothing different from the way Jonathan did things. Break the law go to jail. Simple concept really. But some there think that their family name entitles them to something. There are some really great people in Saint Jo. Actually most people are good people there. But you no name face I am sure are not one of them. You got what you wanted no Police force so now we will see how long it takes the majority of Saint Jo to wake up and put it back on track.
Reflection

Hemphill, TX

#21 Aug 3, 2013
The focus should be on protecting the people and not making money. I feel that Saint Jo is in error if they are encouraging their police force to give mass amounts of tickets in order to finance their community.

I honestly do not believe that any city wants the reputation that they get when they encourage the scrutiny of a major highway for the purpose of making money. I have seen less police cars on the stretch of "82" running through St. Jo. which gives me hope that the citizens of St. Jo. have seen the light in regard to this matter.
mamat

Killeen, TX

#23 Aug 28, 2013
She was let go because she was not doing her job. She was constantly out with her child for various reasons, none of which were valid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burleson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 22 Fart 798
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Apr 18 Fart Smoke 633
Iris Show - Johnson County - April 18 Apr 17 Carol G 1
Review: Eckhardt Patricia C CPA (Apr '13) Apr 16 muddpuppy77 3
Iris Show - Johnson County - Sat. April 18 Apr 16 CarolGrn 1
Debate: Marijuana - Granbury, TX (Aug '10) Mar 28 just saying 28
News Former Cowboy Way Church pastor arrested a 3rd ... Feb '15 hoss 1
More from around the web

Burleson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]