Crowley ISD Reports Spike In Gang Vio...

Crowley ISD Reports Spike In Gang Violence - Education News Sto...

There are 64 comments on the NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth story from Feb 13, 2008, titled Crowley ISD Reports Spike In Gang Violence - Education News Sto.... In it, NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth reports that:

The Cowley Independent School District's superintendent reported a recent spike in gang violence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC 5i Dallas/Fort Worth.

cowsfromprozordo tcom

United States

#21 Jan 28, 2009
well people are silly and like to hurt each other over there favorite color like red and blue.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOT
21st post !!!!!!!!!!
Nick

Duncanville, TX

#22 Feb 23, 2009
You guys are morons. Most of the students in CISD are a bunch of idiots who think they are in a gang. None of which are. You guys should be more worried about the drug dealers/users and such. Stop having this grudge on gang related activities. You can't stop any of it. It's been around for ages. I mean really. I see kids every day in school, baked out of their mind. And teachers just sit there and assume they are insubordinate. In fact, I have walked into multiple bathrooms on numerous occasions and the entire hallway wreaking with the smell of weed. And the bathroom worse. Smokey in fact! I'd rather see our school clean of druggies than some wannabes being given tickets for a "gang fight." And before you people come here and try and seem some what intelligent. Learn to spell ? Or at least some grammar ? None of you people have stated a single thing that is ACTUALLY GOING ON IN CHS. I attend CHS. It's nothing like you say. Bust the kids with drugs, before you fix this imaginary "gang" issue.
concernedparent

Fort Worth, TX

#23 Feb 24, 2009
My daughter used to go to Crowley High School. She is now in a charter school in Fort Worth. Much safer and the teachers at her facility actually pay attention as to what the kids are acting like and doing. I have ALWAYS liked the Crowley ISD until the last couple of years. My son is still in elementary, and I can tell you this....If the school district has not turned around 180 degrees, I will either home school my son, or put him in another school as well. Dress code did NOTHING as far as the JR and HS are concerned. Kids still walk around with the pants below the butt, polos unbuttoned showing way too much skin, etc. I absolutely will not subject my children to this crap anymore. Maybe move to the country where nobody can afford to rent a house on 5 acres. CISD has ALOT of section 8 housing, absent parents, etc. I pay alot of money in taxes being a homeowner and I am so discouraged, I can't see straight. We have worked very hard to provide a stable home and environment for our children and it is going by the wayside.
teachermom

Crowley, TX

#24 Mar 10, 2009
gang violence is prevelant in CISD.We need parents to take more responsiblilty for their childrens actions.
teachermom

Crowley, TX

#25 Mar 10, 2009
to concernedparent,thi`s is America. Everyone has a right to own a home/apartment. Unfortunatley a lot of parents and teachers think the way that you do. We should not judge people by what they make or where they live, or if their parents are present etc... When we focus on these things, we have a tendency to lose focus on our children and education. That's where the real problem is.
kipper

Fort Worth, TX

#26 Mar 11, 2009
concerned parent...I agree. When there is a lot of sec.8 housing you will always see an increase in gang activity, drug use, etc. usually as a result of absent parents. This isn't a statement of judgement but rather fact. It is unfortunate that kids have to live with the consequences of the "sins of the parents".
CISD made the unfortunate decision to go to uniforms thinking it would fix all their problems and make it look like (to parents)that they were working on the problems. However, that was only an outward showing and not a real attempt to address the real problems and work on those.
I too felt frustrated with the public school system and chose private..where the focus is on the kids and the teachers aren't overburden with discipline problems and TAKS taking!
ItsJustMe

Red Oak, TX

#27 Mar 11, 2009
This post is to Nathan the SCMS student and anyone who shares his outlook.

To say there is nothing we can do about it is lazy and weak. We have the power. I am not from Crowley and do not live there, but do know the problems of gangs in middle schools and high schools. The only thing you can't affect is someone else's decision; however, you can affect yours and influence that of those around you. If you are willing to stand you ground and teach those you care about to stay out of gangs and group rivalries you will prosper. Don't be weak. Don't be lazy. Don't let someone else make up your mind on wether or not you can do something about this.
teachermom

Crowley, TX

#28 Mar 12, 2009
to kipper... I must agree that uniforms did not fix the problem in Crowley Schools. But, there seems to be a lot of focus on "section 8" housing instead of the real problem. So, to Concernparent,kipper, do as I did. Go to the administrators and teachers and voice your concernes. I know for a fact that not enough people are talking...about the real problems.
kipper

Fort Worth, TX

#29 Mar 12, 2009
teachermom...I think (only an opinion) that parents aren't talking because they feel so powerless in this. The superintendent and board don't want to face the real issues and that is very clear in decisions they make. When opinions were voiced about not going to uniforms and lets work on the problems it was voiced to deaf ears.(I wouldn't mind the uniforms so much if real issues were also being worked on) Friends who are still at CISD have made comments about their frustrations and there has been no one willing to listen. I wonder though..are most districts like this? I just don't seem to hear a lot of positives when people speak of their school's administration. To me that is sad. I, for one, want to feel good about my child's education. I don't think the kids think too much about it..they go to school because they have to. It's mostly relationships that make them feel good or bad about school. I don't know..just voicing an opinion. I think we need a very big rising of parents that demand the district to step up to the plate and do what's right...for the kids!
teachermom

Crowley, TX

#30 Mar 13, 2009
Kipper,I agree. There are not a lot of positive things that people have to say about thier districts' administration. That is very sad. So, what do we do? As a teacher in this district, I do attend board meetings,voice my opinion and yes, sometimes I do feel like it falls on deaf ears. And, as a teachermom I too am concerned about my child's education. There is also the issue now of dealing with layoffs in the district. How did things get so messed up?
kipper

Fort Worth, TX

#31 Mar 22, 2009
Teachermom, you know...I have only an opinion. I think it has been going on a long time and we are now seeing the results of too much government in our schools. They have proved to us over and over that they are not capable of running anything and creating big messes a long the way. For example..no child left behind. While the theory is a great one the reality is it doesn't work and puts so much stress on the teachers that our kids utimatley miss out on classic learning. Example: TAKS tests. The kids are taught how to take a test and focus on the material on the tests. I know that many feel that the info tested on should be already learned material and shouldn't create the stress but that isn't how it really is. Also, now districts have to budget a lot of money on administering this tests..also, benchmarks and the other one, I forgot the name of. Since the state is set on keeping the formula (to figure out how much $ to give to each student for education) set at the 05/06 criteria it makes for big budget cuts in many districts. Some have seen incredible growth in their student numbers but are receiving little money to educate those students.
The other side of this is that I think we have a great big lack of parent support! There are many parents that use the public schools for daycare and don't give a button about their children's education.
I would love to be one of those parents that could rise up and start a revolution to improve schools for our kids. I just have no idea how to do it. I know our local state rep will not respond to concerns voiced to him by parents. The state will talk the talk but that is about it. It is so incredibly frustrating! I may look into how to contact the State Board of Education..and email each member. I don't know that it would do any good but at least I would have the satisfaction that I did try to do something. It may be that this will have to hit rock bottom before anything constructive is done about it.
OK..off my soap box for now..I'll let you know how my email campaign goes.
soccermom

Crowley, TX

#32 Apr 15, 2009
This gang talk IS true. It goes on right at my child's school, S.H. Crowley Intermediate. My friends child has been a victim and i do not want that to continue in this disastorous schooldistrict. She got 3 days of ISS because of it and it was not true. I would rather homeschool my child instead. The K-12 program ROX!!!
Soccor mom

Fort Worth, TX

#33 Apr 16, 2009
SH Crowley Intermediate is a school in Crowley ISD and I hate this school. It has gangs. They bullied my innocent child who now has a bad reputation and almost everybody, except her friends,are scared of her. She used to go to Parkway Elementary, a good awesome school, and she used to have a good reputation and now she's in SH Crowley, where she got depression and had to go to the mental institution because of SH Crowley. People think she's a stripper and bald. SH Crowley has many flunkers and it stole Sue Crouch's design. They had to call the police on the first year and their yearbook costs $25. Way too much. I would rather send her to Harmony Science Academy, rated the 3rd best Highschool.
Anomomus

Fort Worth, TX

#34 Apr 16, 2009
They also bullied my friends I am not a gang member by the way.
Student F

Fort Worth, TX

#35 Apr 16, 2009
My daughter used to go to Crowley High School. She is now in a charter school in Fort Worth. Much safer and the teachers at her facility actually pay attention as to what the kids are acting like and doing. I have ALWAYS liked the Crowley ISD until the last couple of years. My son is still in elementary, and I can tell you this....If the school district has not turned around 180 degrees, I will either home school my son, or put him in another school as well. Dress code did NOTHING as far as the JR and HS are concerned. Kids still walk around with the pants below the butt, polos unbuttoned showing way too much skin, etc. I absolutely will not subject my children to this crap anymore. Maybe move to the country where nobody can afford to rent a house on 5 acres. CISD has ALOT of section 8 housing, absent parents, etc. I pay alot of money in taxes being a homeowner and I am so discouraged, I can't see straight. We have worked very hard to provide a stable home and environment for our children and it is going by the wayside.

I totally agree and I'm a student. They do not help the school and people at SH Crowley still use a blue tee shirt underneath showing, a red belt, and unathorized jackets.
crowley for 15 years

Fort Worth, TX

#36 Apr 29, 2009
educated wrote:
My kids have been and attend Crowly I.S.D.
I am pleased with the education they have received. The gang talk is not true.
I have bad news for you.. it is true!! HF Stevens in the past few years has had students with knives / guns and other weapons to try to "retaliate".
The entire distict has gone to the dogs and primarily due to administration and their lack of experience in dealing with such issues that Fort Worth ISD has dealt with for centuries. Many of our friends are pulling their kids out of Crowley this next year.
crowleyisd dad

Arlington, TX

#37 Apr 30, 2009
Crowley is a good district. Yeah right. I came to the area 6 years ago thinking about the great schools. My kids went to Jackie carden, what a fiasco, CMS acceptable, NCHS way worse than Dunbar in the FWISD. At Jackie Carden one PE assitant grabbed my son so hard that he had marks on his chest, the principal call me inmediatly to explain that it was my son's fault, I was so stupid and did not do anything.
Yes, there is no school in the area without gang members, I went to a gang lecture at the FW police and they told us that every single middle school and high school in our area have gangs. Tha is not the problem in Crowley, the problem is the cheap housing projects (fox and jacobs) and the housing departments on sycamore school road.
close to the action

Arlington, TX

#38 May 25, 2009
I stumbled onto these posts on Crowley ISD while looking for substitute teaching assignments. I've worked at all three Crowley middle schools and two of the high schools this spring. I don't think some of you know what you are talking about.

I don't know about gang activity. But there are a lot of discipline problems in the middle schools. It seems to depend on how a particular class interacts. The teacher seems to make a difference. The more organized the teacher is the easier it is for me to step in and run the class. If the class is used to doing their work they do their work. But it really seems to depend on which kids are in the room. Some of the worst classes have three boys who feed off the disrespect they show the teacher.

I think the quality of the principal and his or her staff are extremely important. A good principal can recognize and hire good teachers and support them. The schools can only do so much about the problems kids have at home. I like the kids but I have to spend a lot of time yelling at some classes to get them to shut up, sit down and get to work.

To me the real issue is getting the kids to do their lessons in class instead of talking the whole period, getting out of their seats to act up and taking advantage of passes to bathroom or the nurse to wander around the hall visiting their friends. Some of the teachers don't provide enough work and rely on lessons supplied by the text book publisher. If you can find a better school than what Crowley ISD has to offer then fine. I think the parents need to support the teachers by visiting the school and making sure their own kids are doing their work and not goofing off and giving the teachers a hard time.
really

Fort Worth, TX

#39 May 27, 2009
I have been in the Crowley ISD, in ALL levels for the last 11 years.
Please don't tell me that I don't know what I am talking about. I think that a substitute teacher MAY not be witnessing what parents of students in all levels have been. Unbelievable. A constant teacher, or substitute for that matter should be able to control the children and keep them in their seats with your theory. I support my teachers 100% all the way, but I am telling you as a CONSTANT in the district for 11 years. There ARE gangs, there ARE some teachers who don't care (as well as administrators), as well as parents. I am not one of those who don't care, nor am I one who is not willing to do anything and everything I can to make it better for my children. If that means putting them somewhere else, then so be it.
parent

Crowley, TX

#40 Jun 1, 2009
Crowley Isd dad. How many times have you volunteered at your childs school? How often do you sit in on a class? You can't tell a person how much they can spend on a house or an apartment. There are alot of people that live in the Fox and Jacob homes that do very well for themselves but, didn't see a reason to over extend themselves in debt for a house that cost entirely too much. Hmm, that may be why yoou have so many homes up for forclosure. I have friends that live in fox and jacobs and they have very well behaved children and they didn't come from the projects or any where close to them there children have no idea what the projects are. I know a principal that lives in fox and jacobs and there children are wonderful kids also. Before you go spouting off at the mouth don't lump all children and people in the same catagory because I know for a fact there are alot of people on section 8 and liveing in Summer Creek Ranch/South and they live in the homes by Harris Southwest as well. CISD Dad since you seem to know so much why don't you go to the administration and tell them what You could do to solve the problem. I also know for a fact that CISD is not like FWISD or DISD when it comes to gangs and misbehaved children. I also know that unless we all put our kids in private school they will come in contact with these type of kids you just have to know what values you've instilled in you own child and they know a trouble maker when they see one. And all you parents out there stop acting like its administration and teachers have you ever thought about what your own kids are doing when your not looking
crowleyisd dad wrote:
Crowley is a good district. Yeah right. I came to the area 6 years ago thinking about the great schools. My kids went to Jackie carden, what a fiasco, CMS acceptable, NCHS way worse than Dunbar in the FWISD. At Jackie Carden one PE assitant grabbed my son so hard that he had marks on his chest, the principal call me inmediatly to explain that it was my son's fault, I was so stupid and did not do anything.
Yes, there is no school in the area without gang members, I went to a gang lecture at the FW police and they told us that every single middle school and high school in our area have gangs. Tha is not the problem in Crowley, the problem is the cheap housing projects (fox and jacobs) and the housing departments on sycamore school road.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burleson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Thu Farting 902
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Wed Farters 742
News a Kelly Clarkson: Invincible Jun 29 John Kenney is No... 1
News Teenager Murdered In Mansfield (Mar '12) Jun 28 lexis 11
Debate: Marijuana - Granbury, TX (Aug '10) Jun 27 RattlersRock 31
How Many People Got Kilt In Your Tornado (May '13) Jun 24 Redneck 13
Unsolved Murder of Holly Hunter During 1990/91,... (Sep '10) Jun 9 theonewhoknowsall 104
More from around the web

Burleson People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Burleson Mortgages