Sexually Violent Predator Program Strapped for Cash - wtvr

Full story: WTVR

A program meant to provide treatment and oversight for violent sex offenders has grown in scope over the last few years- now lawmakers have to figure out how to pay for it.
Comments
1 - 14 of 14 Comments Last updated Jul 20, 2010
blessed

Glen Allen, VA

#1 Jul 12, 2010
If they evaluate an offender and deem that person has not learned their lesson/been rehabilitated it seems to me there has to be some process the state can act on to not release them.
Geoff

Richmond, VA

#2 Jul 12, 2010
St. Mary's Psych Ward will take anyone and the doctors cooperate for $$$.
Mommy

Richmond, VA

#3 Jul 12, 2010
I am very concerned about this. I feel all parents should be more cautious and more caring for all children. All adults should protect all children!!
Dad

Richmond, VA

#4 Jul 12, 2010
Geoff wrote:
St. Mary's Psych Ward will take anyone and the doctors cooperate for $$$.
Yeah!! The HCPD dumps anyone there. It is their OBAMA scheme!! Get all the health insurance money possible. St. Mary's got to finish their new wing.
Lou Gillespie

Richmond, VA

#5 Jul 12, 2010
If and when a convicted felon has served his or her time for the crime they have committed their debt to society has been paid, just like the murder, the car thief, pot smoker, drunk driver etc... This Civil-Commitment program is another form of punishment based on the determination of others who look at statistics to profile the inmate.(Profiling is illegal). The purpose of this program should be implemented when the intimate is first incarcerated not at the end of the person served time. The crushing blow to the inmateís morale and mental state can not be over come. To serve ones time is rough enough to deal with much less having to worry about the commonwealth trying to stick it to you based on someoneís so called expertise. Since when did we have talented individuals that can read minds and look into a personís future? There are those that will re offend and nothing can change that. It has been that way since time began. You donít treat the person at the end of their term it should be a mandatory requirement from the very beginning to complete the program before release. You already have the inmate in custody and it cost the state about 27,000.00 per inmate. If they were being treated at the beginning of their sentence instead of the end then I donít think the program would be strapped for cash. It boils down to poor management of tax payerís money on an outright wrong and unjust and improper law. The Civil Commitment law is cruel and in humane justice because of what it does to the mental state of the inmate. When the inmate is informed of this process, there is nothing to live for. All their hope and dreams to return to society have been crushed and their life becomes worthless at this point. I donít condone sexual abuse crimes by any means some should not be allowed to live based on the severity of the crime but others deserve a second chance. Those who allowed this law should be removed from office and their license to practice law revoked. Society has made it this far without this form of justice and will continue to do so. Cancel this useless and unjust program and spend our taxpayer dollars on something more worth while. The Commonwealth of Virginia needs a fresh start and remove all those who have served more than 2 terms and get rid of the useless and current politicians in office. The money spent on passing this legist ration could have and should have been spent else where for the better good of our citizens.

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

#6 Jul 12, 2010
Lou Gillespie wrote:
If and when a convicted felon has served his or her time for the crime they have committed their debt to society has been paid, just like the murder, the car thief, pot smoker, drunk driver etc... This Civil-Commitment program is another form of punishment based on the determination of others who look at statistics to profile the inmate.(Profiling is illegal). The money spent on passing this legist ration could have and should have been spent else where for the better good of our citizens.
Great! So we can send all the deranged psychotic sexual predators to live with you and you will assume responsibility for their actions?

Sounds like a plan. Just send tour name and address to the prison board and they will deliver all the deranged criminals to your home.

PS You WILL be held accountable for the criminals actions they will commit.
mommy

Richmond, VA

#7 Jul 14, 2010
Parents: Don't count on HPD to help your child if victimized. With the right amount of Cash, Monty Hall makes deals so NO charges are ever filed.

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

#8 Jul 14, 2010
mommy wrote:
Parents: Don't count on HPD to help your child if victimized. With the right amount of Cash, Monty Hall makes deals so NO charges are ever filed.
The judges worry me far more than HPD. The judges keep slapping the hands of criminals instead of doing their job of locking up the criminals they turn lose.

Liberal judges are more dangerous to America than terrorists.
mommy

Richmond, VA

#9 Jul 14, 2010
va_tazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
The judges worry me far more than HPD. The judges keep slapping the hands of criminals instead of doing their job of locking up the criminals they turn lose.
Liberal judges are more dangerous to America than terrorists.
You should be worried about the HPD, the detective made fun of my daughter (the victim) who was hiding in the closet and did not want to speak to him because she was embarrassed. The detective could care less about any of the girls filing complaints!!!
Sick Sick

Richmond, VA

#10 Jul 14, 2010
Yeah! Yeah! put the sex offenders back out there so they can snatch all the pretty little white girls and white women so we can see it on the news while the pretty little black girls and black women go ignored by the media.
MCKENZE

Williamsburg, VA

#11 Jul 19, 2010
I AM THE WIFE OF A CONVICTED SEX OFFENDER...ONE OF THOSE INTERNET TRAPS....NO TALKING TO CHILDREN ...SPOKE WITH ADULT ONLY....STILL GOT OVER 25 YEARS...NO CRIMINAL HISTORY, HIGHLY EDUCATED MAN....I HAVE SEEN THE EVIDENCE....PEOPLE YOU BETTER BE PREPARED BECAUSE BIG DADDY IS WATCHING AND RIGHT NOW....1 OUT OF EVERY 160 MEN IN VIRGINIA ARE ON THE REGISTRY...REMEMBER IN VIRGINIA IT ONLY TAKES AN ASSUMPTION....NO ACTUAL EVIDENCE IS NEEDED....
mimi

Richmond, VA

#12 Jul 19, 2010
mommy wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be worried about the HPD, the detective made fun of my daughter (the victim) who was hiding in the closet and did not want to speak to him because she was embarrassed. The detective could care less about any of the girls filing complaints!!!
That is terrible! What kind of insensitive police officer would treat child victims in such a rude manner???? The whole thing is disgusting!!!! Shame on that officer!!!!!
sandy

Richmond, VA

#13 Jul 19, 2010
MCKENZE wrote:
I AM THE WIFE OF A CONVICTED SEX OFFENDER...ONE OF THOSE INTERNET TRAPS....NO TALKING TO CHILDREN ...SPOKE WITH ADULT ONLY....STILL GOT OVER 25 YEARS...NO CRIMINAL HISTORY, HIGHLY EDUCATED MAN....I HAVE SEEN THE EVIDENCE....PEOPLE YOU BETTER BE PREPARED BECAUSE BIG DADDY IS WATCHING AND RIGHT NOW....1 OUT OF EVERY 160 MEN IN VIRGINIA ARE ON THE REGISTRY...REMEMBER IN VIRGINIA IT ONLY TAKES AN ASSUMPTION....NO ACTUAL EVIDENCE IS NEEDED....
That doesn't happen here in Henrico County!! Some children do not matter!!!! Because they do not care!!!!
Fun Police

Washington, DC

#14 Jul 20, 2010
Funraising idea: work release ice cream trucks.

Too soon?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burkeville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pat Robertson Calls for a "Revolution" - cuz - ... Aug 21 Big Mess 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug 1 Time Flys 2,546
Nottoway Schools start before Labor Day... Why? Jul '14 FED UP 1
Farmville Music Thread (May '12) Jul '14 Musikologist 13
My New Water Meter Jul '14 incometer 1
Legal Highs (Jul '13) Jul '14 donnie 11
tracy williams (reeves) (Dec '05) Jun '14 lori 59
•••
•••
•••

Burkeville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••