Happy Memories of Growing Up In Cumbe...

Happy Memories of Growing Up In Cumberland County

Posted in the Burkesville Forum

First Prev
of 28
Next Last
History Buff

Burkesville, KY

#1 Feb 2, 2009
Can you remember when all the neighbors would visit and everyone seemed to love and help each other? I grew up in the 1950's and 1960's and I remember all the good times. We would make homemade fudge and popcorn balls on Saturday night. Many friends and neighbors would come to visit and watch our little bitty TV. We would watch wrestling, maybe a western, and sometimes a mystery like Alfred Hitchcock or the Twilight Zone. I didn't sleep too well the nights we watched those shows. What about going to those wonderful country schools. We would play all kinds of games at recess. The Christmas plays were so special, as was Valentine's Day and the other holidays. Tell us some of your happy memories!
LEFT-THERE

Glasgow, KY

#2 Feb 2, 2009
Do you remember the peanut stand that was beside Ruth's in the corner on the square the guy that run it was Dennis Thomas I think also sold popcorn open on Saturday nights.Or the six cent cokes in the drug store.And all the little country stores where you got all the latest gossip.And used a butcher knife to cut the sandwich meat.We also done the visiting thing with people remember watching the walking on the moon at my uncles to popcorn and cokes.
Memories

Burkesville, KY

#3 Feb 2, 2009
LEFT-THERE wrote:
Do you remember the peanut stand that was beside Ruth's in the corner on the square the guy that run it was Dennis Thomas I think also sold popcorn open on Saturday nights.Or the six cent cokes in the drug store.And all the little country stores where you got all the latest gossip.And used a butcher knife to cut the sandwich meat.We also done the visiting thing with people remember watching the walking on the moon at my uncles to popcorn and cokes.
Yes, I remember Dennis Thomas' peanut stand. Does anyone have a picture of it they could post? I also remember Bruton and His Boy's store. I think it was near where the old pool room is now. I loved Ruth's Variety. You could find about anything there. I remember Ruth, Wendell, Thelma Skipworth, Lily Riddle and Dimple Norris all working there. There was once an eating place in the back. Thelma hitchhiked to town, I have picked her up many times when I worked in town. In the afternoon she would go up to Smith's Grocery and buy a few groceries. Everyone looked out for her and she didn't have to wait long until someone came along. She would give you a little money for the ride. Keep the stories coming. I am glad to see positive stories on topix.
Dee double u Bee

Burkesville, KY

#4 Feb 2, 2009
Don't forget about the theater there where the Justice center is now.I grew up in the 50's and 60's also.Got married in 1970.Got drafted in 1971.Was gone for two years and when I did get to come home Cumberland County Was the most beautiful place in the world.36 years later I still think so.
Just adding mine in

Edmonton, KY

#5 Feb 2, 2009
Bruton's store when I was a child sat next to where the old Dairy Queen is. In a large concrete like building they have torn it down now. I would go into town with Pa once a month to get groceries and we would go there. Mr. Bruton would wear a bell around his neck so people would know he was around. He lost his sight later in life. I remember the dime store. I never was able to shop there but I did get to go look around a few times. I remember Aarons department store. The one place in town you could get Levi's. Though it was too expensive for my family. I did go looking in there once as well. Lots of found memories and I am a child of the seventies. I am sad to say this town has changed and does not really feel like home at all anymore.
Dee double u Bee

Burkesville, KY

#6 Feb 2, 2009
Also remember when the bank was there on the corner where the pawn shop is now. Warney Stearns had his car lot on the square also.And when J's discount opened up.We were movin' on up.lol

“A view from the porch...”

Since: Sep 07

Burkesville

#7 Feb 2, 2009
I played in the creek with a little plastic boat tied to a cane pole and hit rocks with tobacco sticks when I was a kid. People would come to Grandpa's front porch and play High Five on Friday evenings. Grandpa and I would walk towards town on Saturdays and someone would pick us up and take us to town. I remember the popcorn from the stand in the corner of the square and the second hand stores on down the street too. I remember the radio station went off the air at 6 PM and there wasn't a store open on Sundays. We separated cream from our milk, made our own lye soap and hand pumped our water. We had an outdoor toilet and wood heat. Four square crackers with a slice of bologna and an RC Cola was top of the line during my childhood days in Cumberland County.
Country Bumpkin

Burkesville, KY

#8 Feb 2, 2009
I remember when they first built the radio sta.It was a place to get ice cream.In the 50's my grandmother smoked Prince Alberet in the cans. She saved the cans for me. I could spend hours building towers and things with them.Also remember carring a corncob in my back pocket.White was for republican and red was for democrat.
fishfood

AOL

#9 Feb 2, 2009
Yes, and a family could go to bed with the doors unlocked and not worry about anyone coming in on them. Well so much for the good ole days!!!!!!!!
Best Memories

Burkesville, KY

#10 Feb 2, 2009
I went to high school at Cumberland County High when it was upstairs where the elementary is today. I came from a little country school and I was scared of that big school! My friends and I had lots of fun together. Lots of pranks were pulled on teachers then but no ill feelings remain, it was all done in the name of fun. They were for the most part great people. I remember one time my boyfriend and I were walking down the hall and he had his arm around my shoulders and Samuel Smith, the principal, came up behind us and gave his arm a chop with his hand. We looked around and he had this evil look in his eye. Whew, scary! He was not one of my favorite people. On the last day of school younger kids often went to high school with their older siblings. We would stop on the way home at Preston Shepherd's restaurant at the end of town, where the buildings are that was J & D's. We would get off the bus, go in and get a coke and the bus driver waited patiently for us. I was just a young kid and I thought this was so wonderful.
Dee double u Bee

Burkesville, KY

#11 Feb 2, 2009
Best Memories wrote:
I went to high school at Cumberland County High when it was upstairs where the elementary is today. I came from a little country school and I was scared of that big school! My friends and I had lots of fun together. Lots of pranks were pulled on teachers then but no ill feelings remain, it was all done in the name of fun. They were for the most part great people. I remember one time my boyfriend and I were walking down the hall and he had his arm around my shoulders and Samuel Smith, the principal, came up behind us and gave his arm a chop with his hand. We looked around and he had this evil look in his eye. Whew, scary! He was not one of my favorite people. On the last day of school younger kids often went to high school with their older siblings. We would stop on the way home at Preston Shepherd's restaurant at the end of town, where the buildings are that was J & D's. We would get off the bus, go in and get a coke and the bus driver waited patiently for us. I was just a young kid and I thought this was so wonderful.
We must be about the same age.I too went upstairs at CCHS.My bus driver was Jesse King at that time.On friday afternoon he would stop the bus at the tastee freeze and we would all get Ice cream.Also remember the big Fairs and carnival we had every summer.A place to meet and do our little "sparkin" lol

“Walk In The Spirit”

Since: Jan 09

AOL

#12 Feb 2, 2009
This topic is great! I, too, really enjoy reading all these good, positive, stories about this area; by people whom actually live and grew up around here. Such a bright relief from most other topics I've read.

Additionally, I enjoy the way all the posts on this topic are presented - good spelling, puncuations, and good sentence structure. Seems as if the people posting on this topic must have gotten a better education back in the day than those posting on most of the other topics. This, also, makes these posts a pleasure to read.

Please, keep them coming.

May God richly bless you all.
former citizen

Jamestown, TN

#13 Feb 2, 2009
Just found this on Topix, I too am glad someone started this. I grew up in the 60's & 70's in Cumberland County, also went to a country school and then to town school (as us ole country bumpkins called it then). I also rode on Jesse Kings bus. Man those were the good old days! Have since moved away, but still Burkesville will always be home to me.
pirate

Mammoth Cave, KY

#14 Feb 2, 2009
I went to Marrowbone until high school was moved to town.We rode the bus back to Marrowbone and then got on another bus to go home.I tell my grandchildren how things were when I was young and they have a hard time believing that we actually lived that way.We didn't have the things that kids have now but I think we had more fun.
Americanpie

Versailles, KY

#15 Feb 2, 2009
I loved the Parkway Hotel, still do. Dr. Mann's Chiropractic office was down the outside steps, underneath the Parkway. I think Mary Anderson's florist shop was also down there. Anybody remember?
i remember too

Huntsville, TX

#16 Feb 2, 2009
And wasn't it Blakes' where Glenns's Auto is now? The old Church of Christ was where Long's Auto Sales is now. I REMEMBER PLAYING OUT FRONT WHEN CHURCH WAS OVER. SORRY BUT MY CAPS LOCK HAS STUCK AGAIN!
And I remember watching the moon landing too. Everyone sat around the black & white. I always had a great time playing kick the can.
Americanpie

Versailles, KY

#17 Feb 2, 2009
I think it was Brake's drug store and it was like on the show where The Fonz did his magic "Happy Days." You know, I miss those days. Mine were never very happy because of family distress and discord but in retrospect, they were sweet, precious times that I can vaguely but thankfully remember.
Dee double u Bee

Burkesville, KY

#18 Feb 2, 2009
i remember too wrote:
And wasn't it Blakes' where Glenns's Auto is now? The old Church of Christ was where Long's Auto Sales is now. I REMEMBER PLAYING OUT FRONT WHEN CHURCH WAS OVER. SORRY BUT MY CAPS LOCK HAS STUCK AGAIN!
And I remember watching the moon landing too. Everyone sat around the black & white. I always had a great time playing kick the can.
Yes it was Brakes Drug store.I remember in Nov.1962 when President Kennedy was assasinated that in school they put the news on the intercom and everyone listened and didn't make a sound except for the crying and sobbing.
ahh

Clinton, IA

#19 Feb 2, 2009
i remember a little store that was called mattie bow's ten cent store and we thought we were in walmart when we went there to shop. i also remember bruton's store. great people. i remember when bobby riddle was the jailer when the old jail was still in use. i remember also the new high school. i was one of the first graduating seniors there in 1971. i guess the worst prank that i remember from that era was some of the senior boys or girls, i never did figure that out, wrote on the back of johnson's service station about principal harper and some other teachers name. dont remember what it said, just the names and i remember the principal; made the ones responsible for it clean it off. i remember when mr. money had the service station there where jessicas is at now. nice place. lerners department store where subway is at and dont forget chandlers store. all nice people. nice memories
little burgers

Versailles, KY

#20 Feb 2, 2009
I'm not from Burkesville, but everytime my family came through we stopped at the lil diner across from the tastee freeze ( I think it was just called the burger shop) to get those mini cheeseburgers and they were best things! I wish it was still there:-(

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 28
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burkesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jojo the drug head 31 min Keep it in the fa... 33
dope head for teacher 1 hr hmmm 24
When your mother hates you (Apr '10) 3 hr Kasha 150
Lonely 11 hr Mytoto 6
Who are they Wed Shopper 33
mm Wed Huh 3
Coty Key Dec 6 Morro 1

Burkesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance