that church of christ on hwy 90 west

Posted in the Burkesville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Caleb E

Cecilia, KY

#1 Apr 27, 2012
There is much heresy in the preceding statement.

First, salvation is of God alone, and not men. This is plainly stated in John1:12-13, "But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God." Man has no part in God's salvation.

In Philippians 2:12 the Apostle Paul states, "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." Carefully notice that the Bible says "work out YOUR OWN salvation"; it does not say anything about God's salvation. When God saves a man, it is then up to that man whether or not he is going to obey God or not. God saves us by faith, but then it is up to us to allow the Lord to live the Christian life through us. This has nothing to do with salvation. So many heretics today are trying to add holy living to faith for salvation. No sir! As we see in 1st Corinthians 5:5, some believers live in unrepentant sin; yet, they are still saved. How can this be? It's because eternal life is a "free gift" (Romans 5:15) not conditioned upon our lifestyle. I don't know why so many people can't seem to grasp the concept of a GIFT.

The only part that man has in God's salvation is to BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ (Acts 16:31). In Psalm 51:12, after David had sinned horribly, we find David asking God for forgiveness... "Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit." David knew that salvation was of God alone... THY SALVATION!

Second, there is NOT one Scripture in the entire Bible that tells us to "repent FROM sin" to be saved. You can't find it. The word repent in the Greek simply means "to change one's mind." So a person need only repent OF their sins to be sins; and NOT FROM their sins. A lost sinner only needs to realize their GUILT of sin, and condemnation under the Law of God, and their justly deserved penalty of Hellfire to be saved. The change should come LATER, after a person is saved and the Holy Spirit convicts them (2nd Corinthians 5:17).

Repentance in the Bible is always towards God... "Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ." According to Granville Sharp's Rule of Greek Exegesis these events are one and the same, i.e., repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ. To place your faith in the Lord to forgive your sins is repentance. You have realized your guilt of sin, and have TURNED to the Lord for salvation. This is the simplicity of God's salvation (2nd Corinthians 11:3).

Third, confessing Jesus as Lord is very different than confessing that He is the Son of God. Yes, we must recognize Jesus as the Son of God to be saved; BUT, we certainly do not need to make Him the Lord (Master) of our life to be saved. This truth is evidenced by the words of the Apostle Paul in Romans 12:1, "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." Paul calls them "brethren," and yet they haven't presented their bodies as a living sacrifice for the Lord yet. That is to say, they haven't surrender their lives to God yet in Christian living. The Bible is filled with examples of Christian who ran from God, such as Jonah, Samson, Lot, and many others. Making Jesus the Lord of one's life has nothing to do with being saved. Again, God's salvation is a free gift, paid for by Jesus' precious literal blood.
Caleb E

Cecilia, KY

#2 Apr 27, 2012
Fourth, Baptismal Regeneration is a lie of the Devil. The very notion that a person is required to be water baptized to go to Heaven is absurd. The Apostle John tells us in 1st John 5:13 that he wrote his Epistle "so that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life"; YET, he never mentions baptism even once in the Epistles of 1st, 2nd, or 3rd John. The Apostle Paul plainly stated that Christ did NOT send him to baptize; but rather, to preach the Gospel (1st Corinthians 1:17). No one in the Old Testament was water baptized; yet we read in Genesis 15:6 that Abraham believed God and it was COUNTED unto him for righteousness. You see friend, you need HIS Righteousness to go to Heaven.

Fifth, living a Christian life is not a prerequisite for being saved. If it were, then God would be a liar and eternal life certainly not a "free gift" as Romans 5:15 calls it. To say that a lost sinner must persevere in holy living to be saved is to spit upon the blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ, to insult God, and to negate Christ's work of redemption. Let me quote to you Romans 4:5, "But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness." Salvation is so simple. God simply asks us to believe on Jesus, i.e., He that justifieth the ungodly. Our faith by itself is counted for (or is equivalent to) a life of righteousness. This is because Jesus imputes (or places) HIS righteousness upon our eternal record the very moment that we place our sole faith in Him. The Word of God is clear... TO HIM THAT WORKETH NOT.
visitor a few weeks ago

Cecilia, KY

#3 Apr 27, 2012
The Church of Christ is a false church. They require good works for salvation. The Church of Christ is just as dangerous as Catholicism, Jehovah's Witness, or the Mormons, because they claim to be "Christian"; BUT they are not! Whereas religions like Islam and Black Muslim openly deny the Christian faith; the Church of Christ claims to be Christian, and so Satan uses them to seduce people into Hellfire. all the stuff that being said about that Church w/ members gossiping about each other. talking about other saying that people r getting checks. making fun of people who r overweight when they leave. oh what was funny is people are talking the preacher is preaching it will came back to u my friends. i guess R/c enjoys this i was a visitor a few weeks ago u need to watch who u talk around.
visitor a few weeks ago

Cecilia, KY

#4 Apr 27, 2012
it b funny to know were they get the info
mystery lady

Burkesville, KY

#5 Apr 27, 2012
i think the bible says judge not or you shall be in danger of hell fire
Twisted

Elizabethtown, KY

#6 Apr 27, 2012
Acts 2:38- Then Peter said to them, repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2:41- Then they that gladly received His word were baptized, and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Acts is a book of the apostles, and an apostle, Luke, is credited for writing the book. So was an apostle telling "lies of the Devil" as you say? He plainly says repent and be baptized and you shall receive the gift that you talked about. And when three thousand did that exact thing, they were added unto the brethren where Peter was teachin the word.

You can't pick out certain verses of the Bible and twist them to fit an argument you want to be true. Read them all, put the thoughts together, and then you will figure out the truth.
mystery lady

Burkesville, KY

#7 Apr 27, 2012
so u think its alright to judge somebody then i dont think so thats for god to do not us
Curious

Burkesville, KY

#8 Apr 28, 2012
This question is for "Visitor a few weeks ago"

Do profess to be a Christian?
They

United States

#9 Apr 28, 2012
Bible says you must believe on jesus christ as no one can be with God except thru him.And not through works lest any man should boast.And Jesus came for all people not just jews, not gentiles.
music

Gainesboro, TN

#10 Apr 29, 2012
It is foolish to think that playing a piano or other instrument in church is a sin. The COC thin they are the only ones going to heaven, they will have a big surprise.
yep

Kingsport, TN

#11 Apr 29, 2012
Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the entire matter: Fear God and guard His commands, for this applies to all mankind!
Ecc 12:14 For God shall bring every work into right-ruling, including all that is hidden, whether good or whether evil.
thanks

Burkesville, KY

#12 Apr 29, 2012
a huge thank you to our Brother Raymond who wills to be Christ-like in his life. He brings the Light and Truth and Love of Christ all over this county. Who cares about all the little petty differences in churches. What is at their core (Christ) is what matters.
believer

Elizabethtown, KY

#13 Apr 29, 2012
music wrote:
It is foolish to think that playing a piano or other instrument in church is a sin. The COC thin they are the only ones going to heaven, they will have a big surprise.
I hear that "they think they are the only ones going to heaven" stetement all the time and it irks me to no end. I don't go to any church, but I have been to many churches and I don't see that they are doing anything different than any other denomination is doing...reading the Bible and doing what they think it says do. And in the Bible, it doesn't say anything about playing instruments. It says "singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord." So I don't understand how you can say it's foolish for them to think that when the Bible never makes mention of Jesus instructing them to do so. It says believe, confess, repent, be baptized and live according to the Bible, although not always together in every verse, to someday reach Heaven so how can people say they don't know what they are talking about when they are doing what the Bible says? What it seems to me is that there are a lot of churches out there following the majority of the verses in the Bible, but the Churches of Christ are reading every one and putting them together to come up with God's true message. Like I said, I don't go to church, but I do read the Bible, and if I was going to go to a church because I wanted to make sure I was being taught as right as I could be about the Word of God, a Church of Christ is where I would go. I know I'm not perfect and don't claim to be, but you sound like just as big of a hypocrite as many church-goers these days to make a statement like this. I think you may be the one who will have a big surprise.
And

United States

#14 Apr 29, 2012
My salvation was paid for on the cross. Freely offered and with my repentance accepted.I'm going to heaven
Strange

Leitchfield, KY

#15 Apr 30, 2012
music wrote:
That is totally funny. Have you noticed they get married in other churches and different places so they can have music at their wedding. I haven't been able to figure that one out.
heres help

Burkesville, KY

#16 Apr 30, 2012
Strange wrote:
<quoted text>
That is totally funny. Have you noticed they get married in other churches and different places so they can have music at their wedding. I haven't been able to figure that one out.
I'll answer that one for you, what do you think getting married has to do with going to church? A building isn't the church, thought you could have figured that out on your own.
yep

Kingsport, TN

#17 Apr 30, 2012
I went to this church building one Sunday morning and I felt like I was at a rock concert. The music was extremely loud and really quite annoying. :-/ It sure wasn't praise and worship of our awesome creator. My morning would have been much nicer if I had of went for a walk in a park.
yep

Kingsport, TN

#18 Apr 30, 2012
yep wrote:
I went to this church building one Sunday morning and I felt like I was at a rock concert. The music was extremely loud and really quite annoying.:-/ It sure wasn't praise and worship of our awesome creator. My morning would have been much nicer if I had of went for a walk in a park.
Sorry...I wasn't talking about the church mentioned in this thread. I was referring to another church
opion

Leitchfield, KY

#19 May 1, 2012
For anyone to question anothers belief is judging them.Which is very wrong.Alot of Bible readers pray before reading asking God to help them understand what they are about to read, so who are we to judge them that God didn't let them understand their reading to how they believe. I myself believe as long as you confess that God gave his only begotten son to die for us for or sins and believe in him as it says in JOHN 3:16. When God touches you and fills your heart, you will want to do all his works and be baptized. When the thief on the cross beside Jesus ask him to remember him and Jesus said today you will be with me in paradise. He wasn't baptized, so you think Jesus lied to him? Jesus didn't call time out and have john take him to the river to baptize him and bring him back.The thief confessed to him and called upon him to forgive and remember him. To me there is only one belief and that is to believe in him. Ever how you precieve the Bible when you ask God to help you understand you readings is your belief. Its not any others right to judge you except God. If everyone would worry about their own salvation and stop judging others belief the world would be alot better off. You only answer to God for your sins not anothers.
visitor a few weeks ago wrote:
The Church of Christ is a false church. They require good works for salvation. The Church of Christ is just as dangerous as Catholicism, Jehovah's Witness, or the Mormons, because they claim to be "Christian"; BUT they are not! Whereas religions like Islam and Black Muslim openly deny the Christian faith; the Church of Christ claims to be Christian, and so Satan uses them to seduce people into Hellfire. all the stuff that being said about that Church w/ members gossiping about each other. talking about other saying that people r getting checks. making fun of people who r overweight when they leave. oh what was funny is people are talking the preacher is preaching it will came back to u my friends. i guess R/c enjoys this i was a visitor a few weeks ago u need to watch who u talk around.
ben

Campbellsville, KY

#20 May 2, 2012
believer wrote:
<quoted text>
I hear that "they think they are the only ones going to heaven" stetement all the time and it irks me to no end. I don't go to any church, but I have been to many churches and I don't see that they are doing anything different than any other denomination is doing...reading the Bible and doing what they think it says do. And in the Bible, it doesn't say anything about playing instruments. It says "singing and making melody in your hearts to the Lord." So I don't understand how you can say it's foolish for them to think that when the Bible never makes mention of Jesus instructing them to do so. It says believe, confess, repent, be baptized and live according to the Bible, although not always together in every verse, to someday reach Heaven so how can people say they don't know what they are talking about when they are doing what the Bible says? What it seems to me is that there are a lot of churches out there following the majority of the verses in the Bible, but the Churches of Christ are reading every one and putting them together to come up with God's true message. Like I said, I don't go to church, but I do read the Bible, and if I was going to go to a church because I wanted to make sure I was being taught as right as I could be about the Word of God, a Church of Christ is where I would go. I know I'm not perfect and don't claim to be, but you sound like just as big of a hypocrite as many church-goers these days to make a statement like this. I think you may be the one who will have a big surprise.
Something that most people do not realize is that if you are a Christian you belong to a church of Jesus Christ, that being a Holy place where God resides. Yes he lives there in the Church of Christ, the Baptist Church, Methodist church, etc. they are all churches of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burkesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Older ladies and their selfies 7 hr negative attitude 11
libby busted for meth Thu know 8
Concerned Wed Childish 20
Outsiders Wed Local 24
Bait shop Wed Leaky Rump 15
Inside yard sale Wed asking 6
Cumberland County Hippie Thread (Feb '09) Tue Jessica 178

Burkesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance