First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Chris

Columbia, KY

#1 Mar 11, 2008
I THINK PEOPLE ON WELFARE NEED TO BE DRUG TESTED JUST LIKE THE WORKING PEOPLE ARE I DON'T WANT TO BE SUPPORTING ANYBODYS HABIT
Agreeable

United States

#2 Mar 11, 2008
How True..
bev

Russell Springs, KY

#3 Mar 11, 2008
that is so stupid.
emotions

Columbia, KY

#4 Mar 11, 2008
bev wrote:
that is so stupid.
How? Why? If you have a job, you know that at any time, you can be called in for random drug testing. If you fail, you will no longer receive a check. Same should apply for those who just simply won't work. Even though they may live better than the working class, they are no better to take random drug test.
Chris

Columbia, KY

#5 Mar 11, 2008
bev wrote:
that is so stupid.
ARE YOU ON WELFARE
Chris

Columbia, KY

#6 Mar 11, 2008
emotions wrote:
<quoted text>
How? Why? If you have a job, you know that at any time, you can be called in for random drug testing. If you fail, you will no longer receive a check. Same should apply for those who just simply won't work. Even though they may live better than the working class, they are no better to take random drug test.
i AGREE THE SYSTEM NEEDS TO BE LOOKED IN TOO
good idea

Russell Springs, KY

#7 Mar 11, 2008
I think that is a great idea, they get caught, their check gets cancelled. Why not, make them have to stay straight to get their money.

“A view from the porch...”

Since: Sep 07

Burkesville

#8 Mar 11, 2008
OK, let's "look into" it right here before we do it...

How often do they get drug tested?

What kind of drugs do you test for, the more drugs tested for the higher the costs?

What doctor or clinic gets paid to monitor the samples being taken. Do recipients travel there or what?

What happens if it's positive, is it one positive or 3 strikes?

Are they out permanantly or just until they retest and are clean?

What branch of government does this work belong to, keeping track of test results and denying checks?

How do we pay for the tests without increasing the welfare costs?

Will the reduction in the welfare recipients be worth the costs to test the recipients?

Will the reduction in the welfare recipients cause an increase in crime? Will they turn to robbing and stealing?

Which costs more prisoners or welfare?

Will you whine and crybaby when taxes go up to cover this procedure?
tena

Russell Springs, KY

#9 Mar 11, 2008
some of you people are so damn dumb.
tena

Russell Springs, KY

#10 Mar 12, 2008
to answer your question chris.i work and i do not have kids,it is just stupid ass people like you that could come off with stupid remarks that really show you are dumb as hell.are you jealous that they would not give it to your dumb ass?
Error

Columbia, KY

#11 Mar 12, 2008
tena wrote:
to answer your question chris.i work and i do not have kids,it is just stupid ass people like you that could come off with stupid remarks that really show you are dumb as hell.are you jealous that they would not give it to your dumb ass?
So you don't mind supporting the deadbeats that simply won't work, or do work for cash so it doesn't mess up their food stamps and check? The thing that really gripes me is the ones that just play the system, have public jobs for cash, like being a waitress, or pumping gas, etc. I know of several doing just that, but still get their check and food stamps and free medical care. If you think that's fair to the rest of us that have to pay their way, guess you're free to feel that way, but lot's of us are getting tired of being played and paying their way.
chris

Frankfort, KY

#12 Mar 12, 2008
tena wrote:
I can teel my your lanaguage your not very intellegent you ned a class in manners thank God you don't havs kids they don't desereve a mother with language like yours end of discussion!
chris

Frankfort, KY

#13 Mar 12, 2008
tena wrote:
my mistake i spelled tell wrong

“What am I doing here?”

Since: Nov 07

Burkesville

#14 Mar 12, 2008
OK, dave:
How often do they get drug tested? once a month at different times

What kind of drugs do you test for, the more drugs tested for the higher the costs? test for pain pills, nerve meds-other than those they're on and just to make sure that there are those pills in their system if they're prescribed.

What doctor or clinic gets paid to monitor the samples being taken. Do recipients travel there or what? recipients can get to the dr, they can ride with public transportation- they go to the dr about that anyway, right?

What happens if it's positive, is it one positive or 3 strikes? I'm for two myself.

Are they out permanantly or just until they retest and are clean? our for a year, let's say. that'll give them ample time to clean up. and for us to save money...

What branch of government does this work belong to, keeping track of test results and denying checks? the same ones that give the checks out in the first place.

How do we pay for the tests without increasing the welfare costs? so many will lose the welfare we'd be saving millions. probably just in burkesville

Will the reduction in the welfare recipients be worth the costs to test the recipients? see above answer

Will the reduction in the welfare recipients cause an increase in crime? Will they turn to robbing and stealing? maybe they'll return to the workforce. if they do begin a reign of terror, we'll just give more police officers work.

Which costs more prisoners or welfare? we're not really sending them to prison, we're just taking their money away. and as for prisioners, why not make them work on the jobs no one else wants? ever heard of sherriff joe?

Will you whine and crybaby when taxes go up to cover this procedure? ah, taxes might go down, since we're saving so much money. sounds like a good idea to me.
just my opinion
toni

Russell Springs, KY

#15 Mar 12, 2008
chris i can tell by your spelling you proved that you really are a dumbass.get a life.stop posting your comments on here.nobody cares what you think.you are probably a lazy bum with nothing better to do then get on here and insult people.
devon

Russell Springs, KY

#16 Mar 12, 2008
amen.shut up chris.i agree with toni you are a dumbass.

Russell Springs, KY

#17 Mar 12, 2008
I think most drug testing is ridiculous. There are so many medications people are prescribed with warning labels saying don't drive, may make you drowsy, don't operate machinery while using this medication, do not take while pregnant, don't breast feed, don't use alcohol, may make you dizzy and don't drive. Not only is it unreasonable to test for all of the medications that could affect your actions and decisions, it's nearly impossible.

When do we start testing for old timer's disease. Watch out on those Sunday morning roads, afternoon ones and Wednesday drivers.

Most of the meds we take can affect our reasoning. What's the reasoning to test people on Welfare any more than the elected people in city hall. Do we refuse them access from the meetings because their decisions may be affected by the medications prescribed to them? Do we stop policemen from driving because the medications they are taking may impair their ability to drive?

Where does it end.
pirate

Campbellsville, KY

#18 Mar 12, 2008
You can sit on your backside and draw welfare or you can go get a job and make something of yourself.I have always worked hard and earned what I have.We all complain about paying taxes but I had rather pay taxes than not have enough income to be required to pay taxes.You can't force a person to take pride in themself.A person addicted to drugs or alcohol will get their money one way or another.
Chris

Columbia, KY

#19 Mar 12, 2008
toni wrote:
chris i can tell by your spelling you proved that you really are a dumbass.get a life.stop posting your comments on here.nobody cares what you think.you are probably a lazy bum with nothing better to do then get on here and insult people.
If you could read I did correct my spelling the reason your such a smart ass is because your on welfare get a real job who the hell are you to speak for other people. get a real life!

Location hidden

#21 Mar 13, 2008
By ROGER ALFORD AP Writer

Sunday, January 20, 2008 9:33 PM EST Print this story | Email this story

FRANKFORT -- Welfare recipients would be tested for drugs and those found positive would lose their benefits under a proposal that is encountering strong opposition in Kentucky.

State Rep. Melvin Henley, R-Murray, said he filed legislation to require the drug tests in response to concerns raised by working-class constituents in his western Kentucky district.

"It makes sense to a person who has to work for a living and has to undergo drug testing and who sees people on welfare who don't have to abide by any rules," Henley said.

Critics contend the legislation is unconstitutional and that it would have unintended victims -- children.

"Welfare is for the children, and so if you're doing such a thing you're punishing the children," said John Rosenberg, former head of the Appalachian Research and Defense Fund in Prestonsburg. "I don't think that's what we really want to do."

Michigan briefly required drug tests for welfare recipients in 1999, but was ordered by a federal judge to stop just weeks into the program when the American Civil Liberties Union filed suit. After a federal appeals court in Cincinnati ruled the law unconstitutional in 2003, Michigan officials reached an out-of-court settlement with the ACLU, agreeing to stop the drug-testing program.

Henley said he wanted to pursue the issue in Kentucky even though it failed in Michigan.

"I've gotten a number of complaints from constituents wondering why they have to be drug tested to maintain a job and people on public assistance are free to do as they please," he said. "They don't feel that it's fair, and I tend to agree."

The measure is languishing in the House Health and Welfare Committee. Committee Chairman Tom Burch, D-Louisville, said he doesn't intend to call it up for consideration.

"I don't think it's a good bill, and I don't think the intention behind it is good," Burch said. "Let's get treatment for the person rather than penalize the whole family."

Vikki Franklin, spokeswoman for the Cabinet for Families and Children, said her agency is still reviewing the bill and hasn't taken a position for or against it.

Graham Boyd, director of ACLU's Drug Law Reform Project, said Kentucky would become the only state in the nation that requires drug testing as a requirement to receive welfare benefits. He said Michigan is the only state that attempted it.

"The courts have ruled that it would be illegal," Boyd said. "Every other state has rejected it as too costly. And studies have proved that it's not effective in reducing drug abuse."

Opponents also say if such a measure passes, it could cause innocent children to go hungry, perhaps even putting parents in such hardship that they have to surrender custody of their kids to the state.

Henley argues that children would likely be better off in drug-free foster homes than with a parent who is an addict.

He said he hasn't given up all hope for the bill.

"It's difficult to get a controversial bill through the legislature," he said. "But you never know. We'll just have to wait and see."

The legislation is House Bill 190.

****WOW SHOCKER OF THE WEEK!!!!! The democrats and ACLU are against drug testing for welfare recipients. I guess they don't want to make most of their voting base mad. Hey, if I have to take a drug test to receive my check from work, then why shouldn't they have to take one to receive a check for not working. As far as the raising the tax issue that Dave threw out there, do the math on the "free" social programs that both democrats are promising in the presidential race. Add all the "free" programs up together, weed out the abusers, and it will pay for drug testing, the regulators, and save money many times over.****

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burkesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jojo the drug head 53 min lol 26
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 12 hr johnnyboy 633
Poor Kathy Wilson 22 hr Bathmore 6
Jamie Sun Crawldad 3
Keystone Semi's Sun oldtimer 25
Caught on square Sun seen it too 5
gary long for judge executive Dec 2 funny 8

Burkesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Burkesville Mortgages