First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jus me

Decorah, IA

#21 Feb 11, 2009
Bingo wrote:
If you want to see what a real grocery store looks like go to the Columbia (or any other) Wal-Mart. The IGA and Houchens stores are both owned by the Save-A-Lot people. They are just oversized convenience stores with everything at least 50% higher than Wal-Mart!!!! It makes you sick to look at their prices!!!I don't even buy milk and bread from them, I get it at the Dollar Store!
Actually, Save-A-Lot and IGA are owned by the Houchens people...but I agree...everything is too high.
interested

Burkesville, KY

#22 Feb 11, 2009
Jus me wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, Save-A-Lot and IGA are owned by the Houchens people...but I agree...everything is too high.
well let me tell you I got ground beef from IGA last night and the little red sticker on the outside said fresh today well guess what the outside of the meat was fresh today but when I went to get int he middle it was pure black and stunk really bad it was nasty and i took it back down there and said we will get you another one but you know what they said also that it really wouldn't have hurt ya at all it is just where it gets a little dak but it would have been ok...I said just give me my money back I think I will eat a salad tonight.....
thinks

Burkesville, KY

#23 Feb 11, 2009
Wanna see a big difference as to what just a little interest can make? Drive up to Albany and check out the IGA store there. No, it's not the chain, it's the local management. Wide variety, several different products that this one doesn't even carry, clean, etc. If you buy ANYTHING from the one here in B-ville, be sure to check the date. Saw several meat items there last week that the expiration date stamped on it was 2 weeks ago, bologna, I think it was for one in particular. Seems like they think, it really doesn't matter, they'll buy it anyway, where else can they go?
my opinion

Clarkson, KY

#24 Feb 11, 2009
I have never had a problem with Houchens, everyone there has always been very helpful and friendly.
Maybe

Decorah, IA

#25 Feb 11, 2009
my opinion wrote:
I have never had a problem with Houchens, everyone there has always been very helpful and friendly.
You must be related to one of em. That's the only way you can get em to talk to you most of the time.
Friend

Elizabethtown, KY

#26 Feb 11, 2009
Christin is the best
wondering

Glasgow, KY

#27 Feb 11, 2009
I know my posts say I am in Cave City (still haven't figured that one out) but actually I am just right outside Burkesville. Thought I would state that up front so everybody didn't write back and tell me to worry about Cave City.

Sometimes I think if Jesus himself worked at Houchen's or IGA in Burkesville y'all would still gripe about the product and the service.

If the stores are that bad in your opinion take youe happy a$$ on over to the next county and spend your money there ! Just what kind of point are you proving if you still shop there, gripe about it, complain about the service...yet you are keeping them in business by continuing to shop there !

What is it you are trying to really say or accomplish ? Whatever it is you are going about it the wrong way.
Maybe

Decorah, IA

#28 Feb 11, 2009
Then you'd be spending even more b/c of gas money. Houchens, Inc. knows they are the only 2 stores in this town and that's y they do what they do...you either have to buy it or spend more money to go elsewhere and that's hard to do with the economy the way it is. That's y imma be glad when DG becomes more of a grocery store to give them some more competition. Then see how much prices change...either that or they will lose customers.
lol

Elizabethtown, KY

#30 Feb 11, 2009
huh wrote:
Which Houchens are y'all talking about? There are 3 in Glasgow.
Did ya have a brain fart for a min!
man of b-vill

Burkesville, KY

#31 Feb 13, 2009
Chris Dial is over the meat department at both stores. You should talk to him about it.
hungry man

Glasgow, KY

#32 Feb 13, 2009
Maybe wrote:
Then you'd be spending even more b/c of gas money. Houchens, Inc. knows they are the only 2 stores in this town and that's y they do what they do...you either have to buy it or spend more money to go elsewhere and that's hard to do with the economy the way it is. That's y imma be glad when DG becomes more of a grocery store to give them some more competition. Then see how much prices change...either that or they will lose customers.
When they opened the Super Walmart with the grocery section in Glasgow...Houchens didn't go out of business and they didn't lower their prices either. I don't know what you are wishing for because it's not gonna happen.
Houchens is NASTY

Elizabethtown, KY

#33 Feb 13, 2009
I'm sorry but Houuchens is DISGUSTING! I used to work there and when we would pull inventory there would be crap on those shelves that was 2 OR MORE YEARS past expiration!!! Even today, my mom will shop there and I will check dates at home and she'll say " Oh I just bought that yesterday " and I'm like Yeah, well it expired MARCH 2007! There is no reason crap like this should be on shelves! And I was in there in the baby aisle and there were old molded grapes behind some items that had obviously been there forever! I like the people there and it's friendly but I, myself, do not shop there. There is nothing difficult about pulling exppired items off the shelves. God forbid someone actually eat it and get sick! Can you say...Lawsuit??
dont care

Burkesville, KY

#34 Feb 14, 2009
I personally think that the people at Houchens are alright. Why would you call them Skanks and Nasty? Whats so bad about them?
doesnt matter

Elizabethtown, KY

#35 Feb 16, 2009
i think that houchens is fine..
if its that bad then they would be shut down by the regional manager; even more the health inspectors.. and if its causing you so much trouble then why not go to walmart there's one 30 minutes away in about every direction.
who's the skanks y'all are talking about?? i've never seen any nasty people down there?
Houchens is NASTY

Campbellsville, KY

#36 Feb 20, 2009
doesnt matter wrote:
i think that houchens is fine..
if its that bad then they would be shut down by the regional manager; even more the health inspectors.. and if its causing you so much trouble then why not go to walmart there's one 30 minutes away in about every direction.
who's the skanks y'all are talking about?? i've never seen any nasty people down there?
As I said.... I do NOT shop there.... and I agree if it's bad they shoud be shut down...so health inspectors should come take a closer look then... I'm sure they dont check EVERY item on the shelf.... But maybe they should...And I was mainly speaking as a former employee... not a customer. I saw FIRST HAND the NASTY crap and behavior and lack of ethics that went on there at that time. Maybe it's different now, but it was enough to make me NEVER EVER purchase there ever again. That's all I was saying. Thanks :)
Chicken

Campbellsville, KY

#37 Feb 20, 2009
Houchens is NASTY wrote:
<quoted text>
As I said.... I do NOT shop there.... and I agree if it's bad they shoud be shut down...so health inspectors should come take a closer look then... I'm sure they dont check EVERY item on the shelf.... But maybe they should...And I was mainly speaking as a former employee... not a customer. I saw FIRST HAND the NASTY crap and behavior and lack of ethics that went on there at that time. Maybe it's different now, but it was enough to make me NEVER EVER purchase there ever again. That's all I was saying. Thanks :)
ITS The Meat Dept people, The Meat Is Nasty looking!!!1
starlight

Leitchfield, KY

#38 Jan 21, 2013
theres a black guy that works in produce i think his name is johnny he is very good looking and a nice guy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burkesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gas in Burkesville 22 min haresamon 25
Tommy left Heaven after he knocked her up 22 min Dont feel sorry o... 4
Thurster 2.0 Rampage Bicycle for Sale (Aug '11) 13 hr Short stack 5
Red Light room at law office 19 hr Duh 135
superman ice cream 22 hr curious 1
no strings attached (Aug '13) Fri homegirl 20
Happy Memories of Growing Up In Cumberland County (Feb '09) Fri homegirl 530
Burkesville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web