Agressive Collections Issue - Do I have Rights?

Posted in the Burke Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
elwandababinski7 71

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2013

Agressive Collections Issue - Do I have Rights?Hi - 5 months ago I received a call from a collection agency about a loan I had 8 years ago. Unwittingly, I agreed to immediately start making monthly payments and provided my checking account information to them. I was caught off guard and didn't think to stop and ask for validation etc...before handing over this information. Yesterday they called both my cell and main number at work (which I'm guessing they secured from when I called with a question after their initial call to collect payment). They demanded that I increase the monthly payments by $10. When I declined, they were very persistent and said that the creditor does not view my payments as a good faith effort to repay the full amount and asked if I could get the money from my parents or from tax returns etc. I responded no to all of their questions.

After a "supervisor" got on the phone to approve an extension of my current payment amounts for the next 3 months. She stated that I have to pay an increase starting in September. Is this true? Why can't I continue making payments at the current amount?

Is it too late to send a letter requesting validation of this debt and to also request that they only contact me in the future via letters? Do I have ANY rights in this matter?!

Lastly, they lied and said this was not on my credit report. Is there a way to get them to remove it from my credit report. I am (and have been for the last few years) trying to boost my score and recently saw an article stating that paying on time on an account in collections will not help your score. Can I stop payment until they agree to remove the negative information?

I have been current in all other accounts for the last 3 years. I'd hate for this situation to undue my hardwork.
renategerrior327

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2013

elwandababinski771 wrote:
Agressive Collections Issue - Do I have Rights?Hi - 5 months ago I received a call from a collection agency about a loan I had 8 years ago. Unwittingly, I agreed to immediately start making monthly payments and provided my checking account information to them. I was caught off guard and didn't think to stop and ask for validation etc...before handing over this information. Yesterday they called both my cell and main number at work (which I'm guessing they secured from when I called with a question after their initial call to collect payment). They demanded that I increase the monthly payments by $10. When I declined, they were very persistent and said that the creditor does not view my payments as a good faith effort to repay the full amount and asked if I could get the money from my parents or from tax returns etc. I responded no to all of their questions.

After a "supervisor" got on the phone to approve an extension of my current payment amounts for the next 3 months. She stated that I have to pay an increase starting in September. Is this true? Why can't I continue making payments at the current amount?

Is it too late to send a letter requesting validation of this debt and to also request that they only contact me in the future via letters? Do I have ANY rights in this matter?!

Lastly, they lied and said this was not on my credit report. Is there a way to get them to remove it from my credit report. I am (and have been for the last few years) trying to boost my score and recently saw an article stating that paying on time on an account in collections will not help your score. Can I stop payment until they agree to remove the negative information?

I have been current in all other accounts for the last 3 years. I'd hate for this situation to undue my hardwork..
This site can help you finding the best option for you:@www.credit-solutions.info

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Burke Discussions

Search the Burke Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) 4 hr abe 1,350
VA Missing Va. Girl Alive, Man In Custody (Dec '10) Apr 14 Jim 1,434
Fairfax Co. considers later start time for high... (Apr '12) Apr 8 Mike hammer 3
For Black People in Va. Apr 8 guest 4
Melissa Brennan (Aug '06) Apr 1 Dawn 82
3.3 percent pay raise proposed for federal empl... Mar 28 atthebeach 1
Smoking Materials Cause House Fire Mar 25 guest 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Burke Jobs

•••
•••
•••