Volunteers prepare for upcoming Clean the Bay Day

May 30, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WVEC-TV Norfolk

Orgainizers of the 25th annual Clean The Bay Day hope thousands of volunteers turn out Saturday, June 1 to help clean up debris along our shorelines.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Jul 14, 2013
Freddy

Gloucester, VA

#1 Jun 23, 2013
Maybe they should concern themselves with all of the untreated fecal waste going into the bay from the horsie farms and other large animal operations in the bay's watershed.

Remember E-Coli bacteria of animal origin is the same type of problem as you get from E-Coli out of human intestines.
Committee

Yorktown, VA

#2 Jun 24, 2013
The problem Freddy is knowing what's there (the 80/20) rule and knowing what can be done. There are some things we do not have control over and don't want to regulate. Too much government is bad. The best way is to educate and get voluntary compliance. Have you thought about joining the Go Green committee, who's task it is to advise the board of supervisors on green issues within the county. As to your comment though, the purpose of 'Clean the Bay' day is not to attack the biggest problem but to involve citizens so they can help (a bit) and see some of the problem themselves. Obviously you've been partially enlightened. There are much bigger problems than the one you've pointed to, why not get involved?
Freddy

Gloucester, VA

#3 Jun 25, 2013
Since I am only partially enlightened then, let me drop some enlightenment.

The same fella at VIMS who went after everyone's septic tanks, while ignoring horses, was a Horsie Person.

Money does not recognize conservation when conservation interferes with money's pleasure.
Committee

Virginia Beach, VA

#4 Jun 25, 2013
Ah, so you're only interested in serving a vendetta, a specific injustice, are you really interested in the ecology or just 'fixing' one person?
Freddy

Gloucester, VA

#5 Jun 25, 2013
Committee wrote:
Ah, so you're only interested in serving a vendetta, a specific injustice, are you really interested in the ecology or just 'fixing' one person?
A. More than one person has been dumping their untreated animal fecal waste into the bay.

B. More than one creek, or beach has been closed to shell fishing, or swimming due to "BACTERIA LEVELS".

C. Band-aid over bullet wound, feel good efforts, do nothing; except trivialize the real losses to the water men and their families. And I haven't even gotten into the environmental damages either.

The person I was referring to is symptomatic of a larger set of problems as found in the Tidewater area. We seem to have a lot of the "don't do as I do, do as I say do" mentality in this area.

Let me tell you how a healthy looking green lawn contributes to algal blooms and/or the loss of sea grasses. Money cares about what interests money, the environment be damned.
Freddy

Gloucester, VA

#6 Jun 25, 2013
Committee wrote:
The problem Freddy is knowing what's there (the 80/20) rule and knowing what can be done. There are some things we do not have control over and don't want to regulate. Too much government is bad. The best way is to educate and get voluntary compliance. Have you thought about joining the Go Green committee, who's task it is to advise the board of supervisors on green issues within the county. As to your comment though, the purpose of 'Clean the Bay' day is not to attack the biggest problem but to involve citizens so they can help (a bit) and see some of the problem themselves. Obviously you've been partially enlightened. There are much bigger problems than the one you've pointed to, why not get involved?
80/20 Rule = Band-aid over bullet wound.
Simpson

Yorktown, VA

#7 Jun 27, 2013
Freddy wrote:
<quoted text>
A. More than one person has been dumping their untreated animal fecal waste into the bay.
B. More than one creek, or beach has been closed to shell fishing, or swimming due to "BACTERIA LEVELS".
C. Band-aid over bullet wound, feel good efforts, do nothing; except trivialize the real losses to the water men and their families. And I haven't even gotten into the environmental damages either.
The person I was referring to is symptomatic of a larger set of problems as found in the Tidewater area. We seem to have a lot of the "don't do as I do, do as I say do" mentality in this area.
Let me tell you how a healthy looking green lawn contributes to algal blooms and/or the loss of sea grasses. Money cares about what interests money, the environment be damned.
So you are for more government control over people's lives? Remember that is you pass laws to govern them, that they can then pass laws to govern you, and get right up into your face as much as they want.
Freddy

Gloucester, VA

#8 Jun 30, 2013
Simpson wrote:
<quoted text>So you are for more government control over people's lives? Remember that is you pass laws to govern them, that they can then pass laws to govern you, and get right up into your face as much as they want.
No Mr. Simpson, I want the ones making up the laws to live by them as much as they expect the rest of us to live by their laws.

I believe I said that the attitude that is helping kill the bay is the..."don't do as I do, do as I say do".

I don't need laws to tell me how to treat the bay, I just believe you never should crap where you eat. The idea that it is ok to dump feces into the bay is literally crapping where the food is.
Simpson

Yorktown, VA

#9 Jul 3, 2013
So in summary, you have a vengeance you want to force against a person you hate at VIMS? Because it doesn't sound like you're really interested in working towards a better bay.
Freddy

Hayes, VA

#10 Jul 7, 2013
Simpson wrote:
So in summary, you have a vengeance you want to force against a person you hate at VIMS? Because it doesn't sound like you're really interested in working towards a better bay.
No Mr. Simpson. Please stop trying to bend what I am saying to fit your expectations.

The bay is being destroyed by many numb nutz who pour weed killers, fertilizers, and untreated fecal waste into it from multiple locations. Going around picking up some trash won't even begin to touch the damage occurring daily to the bay.

VIMS's role in this scenario was to use "studies" which proved most of the bays problems were coming from residential septic tanks, while of course ignoring the hobby horse farms who have been allowing the waste products from their animals to enter the bay. We had to "upgrade" our septic system at great expense, while watching the local horsie people allow the manure from their animals run into the ditch and straight into the bay.

I could even show you where this happens, but I think you are already pretty familiar with how it is.

Other possible sources of untreated animal fecal matter might include pig farms, poultry farms, and slaughter houses.

Run-off water in the tidewater area contains motor oil, anti-freeze, feces, lawn chemicals, industrial waste and many more items of a noxious nature. I don't think picking up some litter will do much good. Maybe all of those who discharge their waste to the bay need to be stopped from doing so, just like the law says they should.
Freddy

Hayes, VA

#11 Jul 8, 2013
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/08/man-di...

Coming to a bay near you soon!
Simpson

Gloucester, VA

#12 Jul 11, 2013
Freddy wrote:
<quoted text>
No Mr. Simpson. Please stop trying to bend what I am saying to fit your expectations.
The bay is being destroyed by many numb nutz who pour weed killers, fertilizers, and untreated fecal waste into it from multiple locations. Going around picking up some trash won't even begin to touch the damage occurring daily to the bay.
VIMS's role in this scenario was to use "studies" which proved most of the bays problems were coming from residential septic tanks, while of course ignoring the hobby horse farms who have been allowing the waste products from their animals to enter the bay. We had to "upgrade" our septic system at great expense, while watching the local horsie people allow the manure from their animals run into the ditch and straight into the bay.
I could even show you where this happens, but I think you are already pretty familiar with how it is.
Other possible sources of untreated animal fecal matter might include pig farms, poultry farms, and slaughter houses.
Run-off water in the tidewater area contains motor oil, anti-freeze, feces, lawn chemicals, industrial waste and many more items of a noxious nature. I don't think picking up some litter will do much good. Maybe all of those who discharge their waste to the bay need to be stopped from doing so, just like the law says they should.
i do know where it is and sympathize with you on the situation but also believe you miss the pot of gold for the little shower
Freddy

Hayes, VA

#13 Jul 14, 2013
Simpson wrote:
<quoted text>i do know where it is and sympathize with you on the situation but also believe you miss the pot of gold for the little shower
How so Mr. Simpson?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burke Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Teaparty Taliban Meeting and Grab Dance Aug 7 TeapartyTaliban T... 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Veterans, Question 2 (Oct '10) Aug 1 Time Flys 2,546
Fairfax board rejects extension of controversia... Jul 30 Anonymous 2
Fairfax County seeks ways to address overcrowde... Jul 29 developer 1
Review: ABC Kiddie College (Mar '10) Jul '14 Be Cautious 23
Melissa Brennan (Aug '06) Jul '14 Kelly 83
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) May '14 Nitty Gritty 1 1,356
•••
•••
•••

Burke Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Burke People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Burke News, Events & Info