lyons, il politics
She Back

United States

#5748 Oct 15, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>before you type know whats going on,example Kurtz low bidder,morning noon and night doing repairs far below any other plumber, Andreas lost bid to lower bidder on lyons project, i dont see anything wrong here, just good business for village of lyons .stop trying to make up imaginary corruption
Since you obviously have the "inside" track on bids, maybe you can share some details...How many projects has Andreas won - 50/50 sidewalk program comes to mind - during the last 4 years? And low bidder, based on what?

More to the point, though, why would a retirement home (Golden Years, to be exact) be giving political contributions to a local municipal party?$11,300 (out of $13,250 total) since September 2009 to UCP & Citizens for Christopher Getty? What about MakTrans Logistics, a trucking firm that coughed up $5,000 a few days ago...and never made any contribution to anyone before?

I know: move along, no connection or corruption - imaginary or otherwise - here. Just good government...right?
Just A Thought

Forest Park, IL

#5749 Oct 15, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>before you type know whats going on,example Kurtz low bidder,morning noon and night doing repairs far below any other plumber, Andreas lost bid to lower bidder on lyons project, i dont see anything wrong here, just good business for village of lyons .stop trying to make up imaginary corruption
If they are doing good business, why do they feel the need to contribute to a campaign fund? How about donations to our Park District, a local charity, or another cause. Stop putting your head in the sand - or somewhere else - and see the truth. Andreas lost a single project...you must have forgotten to give them the information so they could underbid. If there is no problem, it is simple - stop taking campaign donations from those doing business with the village. Otherwise, if it quacks like a duck...
Just A Thought

Forest Park, IL

#5750 Oct 15, 2012
Its simple - under Illinois disclosure laws as a public official I must report any "gifts" to me from those who do business with the Village. But, if they donate to my campaign fund and I use it to pay for my BMW lease, its a "contribution". More than one way to skin a cat...
Dont Count On That

Forest Park, IL

#5752 Oct 15, 2012
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be joking. If local business did not donate to political parties and hopefulls then how would anyone ever get elected? Your average citizen can't come up with the funds it takes to run for an office. I love how in years past the former legal team for the village donated almost all funds needed to the TLC/MVP parties and that was considered to be fine. The TLC had their office space in the developers office on Joliet Ave, but that was ok. But now local companies donate small amounts to UCP and its viewed as wrong. I for one appreciate that the funds donated are actually disclosed so we can see who's who with all of this. I know for a fact that a heck of a lot of cash went into the TLC/MVP clan over the years that never made it onto a report.
Yes that is True. Village Law Firm donated a whole bunch of money. Truckers dumping in the Quarry gave big amounts. Paramedics and Union gave.15 years of TLC/MVP. Go get em Mayor. Good for you.
Wah

Riverside, IL

#5753 Oct 15, 2012
Just A Thought wrote:
<quoted text>
Building up a "war chest" to a) make sure they can outdo any opponent in advertising, b) finance future party members to keep control, and c) to finance a run for a higher office. There is no way Chris is going to stop with 2 years as Village President. He is headed for bigger waters 0 Cook County, Illinois senate or house, something bigger for sure. You can be sure one his lackies from the Village Board will be running for President - my guess is Ryan Grace, as he is the #1 bootlicker for Getty.
Sounds to me like you are a bit jelous that your crew was never able to gain such support in this short amount of time. UCP has done more great things for this town in their two years of majority than TLC/MVP was able to do in over a decade of "service". Dan't act like TLC/MVP wouldn't build up those type of funds if they were able to do so.
resident

Riverside, IL

#5754 Oct 15, 2012
She Back wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but what you deem the corrupt politicians now running Lyons are only the current crop of such; and the past performance of that group of retreads and their buds and affiliates that aspire to replace the present administration far exceeded the current level of corruption during their adventures in Lyons government. At least now, trees have been trimmed, pot holes fixed and there are parks spiffied up for people to use. What did the previous parties in power give the people of Lyons besides lots of debt and the joy of watching their $$ being given to chosen consultants and developers?
what made u flip?
Just A Thought

Forest Park, IL

#5755 Oct 16, 2012
Wah wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds to me like you are a bit jelous that your crew was never able to gain such support in this short amount of time. UCP has done more great things for this town in their two years of majority than TLC/MVP was able to do in over a decade of "service". Dan't act like TLC/MVP wouldn't build up those type of funds if they were able to do so.
Done more great things? Such as? And do not include things that any other elected officials would have done. The new parks? Planned for under previous administrations. Road work - on going, nothing special. Tree trimming? With companies donating to your war chest. Refinancing the bonds? How about fixing our water mains? You resurface the streets without replacing the infrastructure and within a few months are tearing them up to fix leaks. What about the vacant businesses along Ogden? Our old village hall? Oh, yeh, we got a wonderful parking lot - for who? Hired a village manager with no experience - hired a building inspector with no experience - hired other employees without ever posting the job or conducting interviews. Gave his convict father a position in the Village and lets him run the Hall. Runs the Village with all the transparency of a brick wall. Had to be sued by the State's Attorney to comply with the FOIA laws.

Oh, yes, so many GREAT things...
word is out

Riverside, IL

#5756 Oct 16, 2012
VIP has chosen their candidates .
Just A Thought

Forest Park, IL

#5757 Oct 16, 2012
Wah wrote:
<quoted text>
UCP has done more great things for this town in their two years of majority than TLC/MVP was able to do in over a decade of "service". Dan't act like TLC/MVP wouldn't build up those type of funds if they were able to do so.
Let me continue; so once again, you use the "They did it (or would do it) so its OK for us to do it." I suppose when you were a child and got in trouble your defense was "He did it first." Next you will cite the Sgt. Schultz defense: "I know nothing, I see nothing..."

Here's another GREAT accomplishment by UCP - no budget or financial reports since taking office, in spite of state law. Of course, if you have a budget, you might have to live by it.
She Back

United States

#5758 Oct 16, 2012
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
what made u flip?
$41 M in debt, and still counting...No plan to address or pay off except for re-fi, re-fi, re-fi...(forget the added interest and costs of issuance to be paid with each re-fi deal) The very uncomfortable realization that NOT ONE BOARD MEMBER HAD ANY INKLING BACK IN JULY OF WHAT VOL OWES. OR SEEMED TO CARE.

The discovery that the private installment contract debt (~$10 M +) doesn't appear on the latest (2009) disclosures for our publicly traded debt, nor is it factored into the calculations -and this is a strange one, because how do you include a page stating that the data is current as of 2010 in a document dated 2009?)of legal debt margin.

The inability or refusal of the Village to remit property tax and PPRT funds to the Library in a timely fashion...the answer I got when I asked was on the order of "Well, it's not like they needed it right away".

Committing to spend $800K on Smith Park...without batting an eye, and without consulting the public as to where THEY might want that OSLAD grant applied (like maybe the two neglected tot lots on the east and west sides).

Continued failure to prepare and file Financial Statements for 2010 and 2011. Ditto for legally required TIF reports. Ditto for holding legally required annual TIF Review Board meetings.

Talk of another (tax payer front-loaded, of course) TIF and (tax payer subsidized, of course) development plans "in the works", but no talk about addressing hideously mis-graded gravel alleys or a real plan on identifying, prioritizing and fixing the almost 30% of our water lines that leak.

The fact that I'm still being billed on my water bill for bonds that were paid off in full back in May...and, silly me, I don't buy into the official line that it's okay, because Chicago raised its rates for water and this way the Mayor doesn't have to raise the bills.(Will see if he takes credit for that sleight of hand next spring.)

We get NO news about crime...because, after all, there is so little, and if people knew, they would panic and property values would go down (honest, this is what a neighbor and I were told.)

The enormous amounts of outside cash flowing in...and the concerns of residents quashed.

The "loss" of documents...that should have been included in FOIA responses or should have been brought before the Board for action.

And a very little - in the scheme of things - crawsticker: why is our Rec Board using (and promoting) trips from a non-Village Travel Agency when we have one right here in town (that pays taxes to the Village) that sure could use the exposure? Why aren't we promoting Lyons' businesses where ever possible?

Want more???
Just A Thought

Forest Park, IL

#5759 Oct 16, 2012
And it keeps getting better:

A "transparency score" that dropped more than any community ever rated and put us on a par with the worst in the county.

Selling insurance to bar owners and claiming "...I didn't think it was a conflict of interest..."

Posting agendas just in the nick of time so residents can't question what is going on.

Providing absolutely no information on the village web site as to ordinances voted on.

Establishing a "Planning Commission" that has never met and isn't even fully staffed.

Using taxpayer money to put Getty's name on village vehicles.

Refusing to answer even the simplest question at board meetings.

Wanting to put a restaurant on top of Hoffman Tower (remember that one?)

Letting a convicted felon run a raffle in violation of state law.

Want more???
She Back

United States

#5760 Oct 16, 2012
Dont Count On That wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that is True. Village Law Firm donated a whole bunch of money. Truckers dumping in the Quarry gave big amounts. Paramedics and Union gave.15 years of TLC/MVP. Go get em Mayor. Good for you.
Here's the breakdown on donations from Village Law Firms/Lawyers to party in power:

TLC in 2009:$8,500 from Ancel Glink +$1,000 from R. Bush =$9,500

UCP 2011 through 9/12/2012 from Odelson & Sterk:$3,400 + Citizens for C. Getty: 2011 through June 2012:$5,000.00 =$8,400

This election cycle is still young...but looks pretty comparable thus far. What IS amaxing is the amount of money municipal law firms contribute to the elections of their clients...hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do citizens stand a chance?
we know

Riverside, IL

#5762 Oct 16, 2012
She Back wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the breakdown on donations from Village Law Firms/Lawyers to party in power:
TLC in 2009:$8,500 from Ancel Glink +$1,000 from R. Bush =$9,500
UCP 2011 through 9/12/2012 from Odelson & Sterk:$3,400 + Citizens for C. Getty: 2011 through June 2012:$5,000.00 =$8,400
This election cycle is still young...but looks pretty comparable thus far. What IS amaxing is the amount of money municipal law firms contribute to the elections of their clients...hundreds of thousands of dollars. Do citizens stand a chance?
so what is your point?
She Back

United States

#5763 Oct 16, 2012
we know wrote:
<quoted text>
so what is your point?
When lawyers "invest" in politicians and political regimes, the outcome is sure to benefit them and their politicians du jour, but for the taxpayers? Past history demonstrates, in Lyons at least, not so much...

Meet the new boss, just like the old boss. Forgive me if I fail to see a difference between the past and the present in regard to accepting hefty contributions from the municipal law firm. Sure don't see any improvement on citizen accessibility or input in the areas that count (i.e., impact our pocket books), just another runaway train with new faces.(Forgive me if I detect - suspicious old me - the same disdain for the statutes, even though the alphabet soup and the law firms have changed).

Our bad as taxpayers for letting the old regime get away with so much on our dollar - and believe me, we'll be paying for that party for decades. But that's no reason not to put on the brakes before this group finishes the job on driving us over a fiscal cliff. As in, learn from our mistakes, not keep repeating them.
we know

Riverside, IL

#5764 Oct 16, 2012
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2012/10/16/can-t...

And this just came off the press..what timing !
Puts an end to all these opinions.
Just A Thought

Forest Park, IL

#5765 Oct 16, 2012
we know wrote:
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2 012/10/16/can-the-boss-tell-yo u-how-to-vote-yes/
Private firms can, public employers can not. Besides, once you go into the voting booth who knows how you voted as long as you keep it to yourself.
Just A Thought

Forest Park, IL

#5766 Oct 16, 2012
we know wrote:
http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2 012/10/16/can-the-boss-tell-yo u-how-to-vote-yes/
I guess I miss the connection to the discussions on this board...and I'm still waiting for the list of "great things" the UCP has done above just the normal governmental activities.
Hey Dude

Riverside, IL

#5767 Oct 16, 2012
Just A Thought wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess I miss the connection to the discussions on this board...and I'm still waiting for the list of "great things" the UCP has done above just the normal governmental activities.
That's all I expect government to do, just the normal governmental
activities. May you want bigger government.
She Back

United States

#5768 Oct 16, 2012
we know wrote:
Actually, the Koch brothers Georgia Pacific story broke yesterday. Nothing new here, just keep moving. And these opinions here - and others all over this nation - just became MORE important, and less likely to be silenced. Intimidation does not work forever, and when the blowback arrives, it can be a doosy.
She Back

United States

#5769 Oct 16, 2012
Hey Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all I expect government to do, just the normal governmental
activities. May you want bigger government.
So do I...want normal government activities:

like filing our Financial Statements and TIF reports on time,
holding required meetings,
preparing and adopting a budget each year,
remitting funds to the library in full and on time,
doing what the Illinois Statutes require,
not billing me for bonds that no longer exist,
making Police Blotter and other crime information accessible,
and so on.

I am against big government - if by that you mean straying from core, essential functions into mission creep on steroids territory to the point where those core functions (and normal government activities) are jeopardized. Regardless of what 3 letters are in power du jour.

Or are we talking about selective application of criteria here, depending on which letters have favored status in your mind? If so, selective based on what? Past disrespect, dirty deeds and small town family feuds? Enlighten me...if the various "sides" have been doing the same things, what's the difference?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burbank Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min RoxLo 1,536,445
News Dumbing down high school 15 min lol 3
News Chicago's population decline continues for the ... 16 min lol 6
Val Desperate for Attention 20 min Trumbull 16
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 28 min Fred 105,190
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 3 hr SweLL GirL 10,713
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 6 hr Churchlady 240,955

Burbank Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Burbank Mortgages