To the person who vandalized the Manr...

To the person who vandalized the Manrique Memorial

Posted in the Burbank Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
outraged in BI

Chicago, IL

#1 Oct 22, 2009
The Manrique Family and friends made a brand new engraved wooden cross, and placed a wreath and flowers at the spot where Antonio was beaten so badly in 2004. The Manrique grandchildren also placed a pumpkin with the words "I love you Grandpa" in English and Spanish next to the cross. Yesterday morning, the memorial site was absolutely beautiful.

Last night, the site was vandalized and the cross was completely destroyed by a disgusting person(s). The local press has been notified and a cash reward will be placed for any information leading to the arrest of the party that committed this crime. This is a hate crime and the US Department of Justice will be notified. To the person who did this: You may think you are cute and funny, but there is a special place in hell for people like you.
CASA

United States

#2 Oct 23, 2009
Somebody did this when last night? I walked my dog past this site about 6:30 in the evening and it was ok. When was it discovered? This pisses me off. If I find out it's one of those roving band of misfits from the Vincenes Apartments by the tracks....I've warned those punks twice this year about even sneezing near it.
outraged in BI

Chicago, IL

#3 Oct 23, 2009
I discovered it about 4:00pm yesterday (Thursday). The cross has been completely smashed off and the wreath and mums were kicked over. The cross had been cemented into the ground so who ever did this had to have used a tool of some sort to bust it off.
CASA

United States

#4 Oct 26, 2009
Has there been any more news on this blasphemy? Somebody knows who did this and are protecting the misfits who did this. This family has had enough disrespect thrown their way. Last nite I saw some punks throwing eggs. I gave them the eyeball but they just eyeballed back. Why do the people living near the memorial not call the Police on these degenerates? Why don't the Hispanic kids stand up to these scum?
jesus

Girard, OH

#5 Oct 26, 2009
CASA wrote:
Has there been any more news on this blasphemy? Somebody knows who did this and are protecting the misfits who did this. This family has had enough disrespect thrown their way. Last nite I saw some punks throwing eggs. I gave them the eyeball but they just eyeballed back. Why do the people living near the memorial not call the Police on these degenerates? Why don't the Hispanic kids stand up to these scum?
casa have you tried calling the police yourself nobody gets involved because when you get involved you will see that the police themselves dont want to get involved. if you dont believe me try reporting one of the kids in your neighborhood with the loud car stereos not only will the officer that visits you lie to you but if you stay persistant and take it all the way to the chief,your alderperson and the mayor they will all shun you and treat you like the enemy!!!!!!!!
jesus

United States

#6 Oct 26, 2009
for calling them out!!!!!!!!
TIME FRAME

Rockford, IL

#7 Oct 26, 2009
Confused on time frame
1st post -(outraged) Thurs Oct 22 - Said last night (which would have been Wednesday) memorial was destroyed.
2nd post(Casa)- Fri Oct 23 Casa said memorial was ok at 6:30 pm last night (which would have been Thursday)
Outraged came back with last night as Thursday at 4:00
So if the damaged happened before Casa walked his dog, they sure got the damaged fixed real fast.
outraged in BI

Chicago, IL

#8 Oct 26, 2009
Dear Time Frame,
I noticed the vandalism on Wednesday night. At that time I put the wreath and flowers back in place but the cross was destroyed. It is possible that CASA walked his dog on Thursday night and saw the wreath and flowers but did not realize the was cross was gone.
CASA

Chicago, IL

#9 Oct 27, 2009
outraged in BI wrote:
Dear Time Frame,
I noticed the vandalism on Wednesday night. At that time I put the wreath and flowers back in place but the cross was destroyed. It is possible that CASA walked his dog on Thursday night and saw the wreath and flowers but did not realize the was cross was gone.
Quite possible. Allot of people on that block had NO IDEA what had happened until the weekend. I wonder if the Manrique family would be offended if I put one there myself.
outraged in BI

Chicago, IL

#10 Oct 27, 2009
That is a very nice thought CASA, it would show the family that the community really does care.
BeenHereB4

La Grange, IL

#11 Oct 27, 2009
Is it possible that someone from the city including (possibly) someone from the Police destroyed this shrine?

Based on what I've read, this poor guy was WRONGFULLY beaten to death by the police and the Blue Island administration received a lot of bad press.

The Manrique family and friends put up this beautiful shrine in memory of Mr. Manrique. Think about the potential for more bad press for the Peloquin regime and his stooges. What if the media decided to do a follow up story with pictures of the shrine?

Not to mention that fact that the shrine is a daily reminder and embarrassment for Peloquin and company of the mans wrongful death.

After all, Peloquin and crew never did man up or even offer an honorable, sincere apology.

This could have been a common thing that is none in local government. It is called “Damage Control”.

Not trying to stir the pot, just my own opinion………something to think about!

CASA – very nice intention on your part.
CASA

Chicago, IL

#12 Oct 28, 2009
Tried last nite but the rain made it hard. Will try again.
outraged in BI

Chicago, IL

#13 Oct 29, 2009
A special THANK YOU to the person who placed the nice new white cross at the Manrique memorial site.

CASA, I assume it was you who did all the work. So thank you again. It is wonderful to know that there are decent people in BI who care about their community!
CASA

Chicago, IL

#14 Oct 30, 2009
The Manriques can rest assured I'm keeping an eye on the memorial. I did notice the same group of knuckleheads eyeballing it last nite as I walked the dogs. They know I'm watching them. Let's see what happens.
CASA

Chicago, IL

#15 Nov 9, 2009
Well it looks like the punks who hit the memorial last time and took the cross, hit it again Saturday nite. But this time somebody saw them. 2 girls and 2 boys around the age 14 & 16. 1 of the boys was Mexican-American. The other's were not Hispanic or White. Why do these kids do this? What kind of thrill does it give them to damage a Memorial like that?
CASA

Chicago, IL

#16 Apr 7, 2010
And once again the memorial has been vandalized. The cross has been broken in two and other things have been tossed aside. This is disgusting and tragic.
Some people on the block saw several groups of kids other than the ones who play soccer in the park eyeballing the memorial and or passing by it several times. Have these children no respect or reverence for the dead?
disgusted

Chicago, IL

#17 Apr 7, 2010
I am disgusted, I guess that the flowers and the wreath have been trashed again.
grateful

Chicago, IL

#18 Apr 8, 2010
Thanks to the person who took the time to clean up the memorial site and place new cross at the site.
Live on Hoyne St then

Midlothian, IL

#19 Apr 11, 2010
Thank god it wasnt a Wetta
Grandchild of Antonio

Mchenry, IL

#21 Oct 10, 2012
I don't live in BI anymore & had no idea his memorial is being vandalized. That is just heartbreaking especially when my family has gone through difficult and painful times. It's been 8 years since my grandfather was taken from us.
I don't understand how people have the audacity to do such a thing. I'm glad I left BI. There's nothing there for me anymore... I don't need a memorial to hold my grandfathers memory but I know it means a lot to my family members. For goodness sakes leave it alone.please!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burbank Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 19 min ritedownthemiddle 1,278,006
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 25 min Dr Guru 197,043
New Business 26 min trumbull 3
Berkot's thread Missing 28 min trumbull 14
abby9-3-15 53 min Kuuipo 9
abby9-2-15 57 min boundary painter 6
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr boundary painter 6,440
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Burbank Mortgages