Once slow-moving threat, global warmi...

Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt...

There are 64675 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2008, titled Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds up, leaving litt.... In it, Newsday reports that:

When Bill Clinton took office in 1993, global warming was a slow-moving environmental problem that was easy to ignore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain retreat, SE Spain

#32305 Aug 28, 2012
Spambrat wrote:
[spam]
Spam and copy paste is all you have, plus a lot of spam.
SpaceBlues

United States

#32306 Aug 28, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Spam and copy paste is all you have, plus a lot of spam.
Are you smoking excessively these days?

Your OCD has peaked, probably. You'll be soon crashing hard, likely.

Look at another crash

http://blog.sme.sk/blog/1159/306419/kinnard.g...

“fairtax.org”

Since: Dec 08

Gauley Bridge WV

#32307 Aug 28, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
A meter from your local utility is not a government intrusion into your home, either.
It is when they can order a reduction or cessation of power without my consent. I;m not talking about non-payment. In California, which was my original post, the government wanted the ability to control people's thermostat and to be able to turn outlets on and off as they please. Typical libtard, like you, had to go all dumbass and start crying in his milk.

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#32308 Aug 28, 2012
budd wrote:
<quoted text>
You really are a one trick pony, aren't you. It takes a giant heap of ignorance to say that "solar and other things that I have supported" caused Spain's problems. Even the geezer pohm won't support you in that load of crap, well that is unless he chooses to wallow in the crap with you. I wouldn't put it past him.
I notice you cannot spare a word to defend our great country when the pohm says it is in decline. I despise fake patriots who allow badmouthing of our great country. You haven't a clue what happened to us or Spain you just run your mouth on and on about hating solar. You make no sense because you have no sense.
I spent twenty years of my life defending this country. As for ignorance, funny coming from someone who is so young to ignore the lessons that those much older have learned first hand.

As for "wallowing in crap", you should climb out of the sty and take a look at the past.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#32309 Aug 28, 2012
flack wrote:
<quoted text> I pay taxes to support those things. Those are not the government intruding into my home. You grow up. I don't need mother government holding my hand like you libtard.
\

I see, the government does not regulate how your children are taught. It does not regulate how the radio spectrum is distributed and what you can legally intercept. I suppose you intercept private cellular conversations in your home.

No man can always stand alone." John McCain
Northie

Spokane, WA

#32310 Aug 28, 2012
flack wrote:
<quoted text> It is when they can order a reduction or cessation of power without my consent. I;m not talking about non-payment. In California, which was my original post, the government wanted the ability to control people's thermostat and to be able to turn outlets on and off as they please. Typical libtard, like you, had to go all dumbass and start crying in his milk.
Complete BS. Smart meters (in all but a few test areas and by explicit customer consent) do not control anything. They simply relay electricity use to the utility company so power delivery can be more efficient, and they make billing more accurate. They will also soon network with your appliances to allow you to shift power consumption to less expensive times. The potential savings are enormous.

No one in California State Government is trying to control your thermostat and liberals are not spying on you at night from black helicopters.

However, as for our ongoing program to subdue you with chemtrails, resistance is futile.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#32311 Aug 28, 2012
Yet another record low in the Arctic ice pack. Meaning accelerating feedbacks from reduced albedo and rising methane release, as well as vanishing sea ice. And all at least sixty years ahead of official IPCC and NOAA forecasts made just five years ago.

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/

“fairtax.org”

Gauley Bridge WV

#32312 Aug 28, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
Complete BS. Smart meters (in all but a few test areas and by explicit customer consent) do not control anything. They simply relay electricity use to the utility company so power delivery can be more efficient, and they make billing more accurate. They will also soon network with your appliances to allow you to shift power consumption to less expensive times. The potential savings are enormous.
No one in California State Government is trying to control your thermostat and liberals are not spying on you at night from black helicopters.
However, as for our ongoing program to subdue you with chemtrails, resistance is futile.
They did try to control thermostats and wall plugs in California. It was on the news for weeks. I have had a 'smart meter' for years. The meter guy can read 2000 meters an hour. He can drive down one street and read the meters on two streets over left and right. Comtrails really? Only morons believe in comtrails and black helicopters.

“fairtax.org”

Gauley Bridge WV

#32313 Aug 28, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>\
I see, the government does not regulate how your children are taught. It does not regulate how the radio spectrum is distributed and what you can legally intercept. I suppose you intercept private cellular conversations in your home.
No man can always stand alone." John McCain
PHFFFFT!!! John McCain is a progressive libtard!!! The Federal Department of Education should be closed. I guess you are one of those public airwaves nuts. Let me guess you believe a privately owned business is a public place?

Location hidden

#32314 Aug 28, 2012
flack wrote:
<quoted text> PHFFFFT!!! John McCain is a progressive libtard!!! The Federal Department of Education should be closed. I guess you are one of those public airwaves nuts. Let me guess you believe a privately owned business is a public place?
It is apparent that to you, anyone less conservative that radical RW Limbaugh is a commie.

“fairtax.org”

Gauley Bridge WV

#32315 Aug 28, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
It is apparent that to you, anyone less conservative that radical RW Limbaugh is a commie.
I want the federal government constrained back to the way the founding fathers envisioned it. In other words there would be a lot of building for sale in D.C. if I had my way. If it is not allowed in the constitution for the federal government to do something then shut it down. Shit I make Limbaugh look like a libtard.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#32316 Aug 28, 2012
flack wrote:
<quoted text> They did try to control thermostats and wall plugs in California. It was on the news for weeks.
If by "on the news" you mean Glenn Beck wet his pants over it, you're right. Four years ago, California briefly considered a power emergency law that would have allowed the state to ration air conditioning in extreme power shortages only. Then they stopped considering it after mulling over its implications for privacy. End of story.

Except that online, stories like this never end. Even four years later you can still find this being flogged as hot, shocking "news" on right-wing survivalist sites...which may explain your familiarity with it.

“fairtax.org”

Gauley Bridge WV

#32317 Aug 28, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
If by "on the news" you mean Glenn Beck wet his pants over it, you're right. Four years ago, California briefly considered a power emergency law that would have allowed the state to ration air conditioning in extreme power shortages only. Then they stopped considering it after mulling over its implications for privacy. End of story.
Except that online, stories like this never end. Even four years later you can still find this being flogged as hot, shocking "news" on right-wing survivalist sites...which may explain your familiarity with it.
Spoken by a true northwester bedwetting libtard. You is funny boy!
Teddy R

San Francisco, CA

#32318 Aug 28, 2012
LessHypeMoreFact wrote:
<quoted text>
I would agree. But government can help FINANCE the expansion of the smart grid. However, there is one more problem. That is that private industry has no PLANS or DRIVE to develop a smart grid. I was at a meeting. The meeting was supposed to be on how to develop a smart grid, with participation of the relevant authorities in Hydro One (the privatized grid for Ontario). It turned into a pure whine about how they were being forced into it and how it didn't fit the 'past model' so they would have massive expenses to replace all the tranformers, etc. It wasn't about how to build a smart grid at ALL.
Fact is that a Smart Grid, in my opinion, has to drop the 'heirarchical model' of power delivery for a 'regional module' model where regions would balance demand and supply within their local grid while being able to access power transfer from other regions as needed.
"past model" is basically a delivery predicated on large, high voltage power plants in the gigawatt range, with a main, intermediate and local grid with step down between. Strictly one way power delivery.
I don't entirely disagree - i do believe there is a proper role for the federal government in this endeavor.

But financing smart grid develop projects is CERTAINLY THE LAST place that we should wish to see the government involved - that's like giving a drunk a bottle and then putting him behind the wheel.

If there is in fact a return to be realized, private industry will be HIGHLY driven to pursue it. Private capital will do a far, far better, more responsible, and more efficient job of financing such developments - if they pencil out. If they don't pencil out, THEY SHOULDN'T BE DONE. We don't need a smart grid just for the sake of the gee-whiz niftyness of having one.

It does sound like what you guys in the Great White North and your big monopoly power giants like Hydro Quebec really need is a healthy dose of DEREGULATION of power markets like that which has occurred in the States over the past couple decades. What once required heavy-handed command-and-control statutory intervention with laws like PURPA here in the States to promote independent power producers has now been rendered largely obsolete by simple deregulation - it has been very successful in breaking down market barriers to entry enabling new technologies to compete commercially.

Government just needs to write a smart, fair, and THIN rule-book, and provide some referees to enforce it - then they really need to keep their poisonous little hands off and let the talented players play the game. Remarkable things happen.
Where

Clemmons, NC

#32319 Aug 28, 2012
Where's Al Gore?

“Denying those who deny nature”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#32320 Aug 28, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Con-Edison in New York is trying it out now. They will provide you with a free thermostat with the condition that they can shut down the compressor when there is a high electricity demand.

Since I don't doubt you will claim I am lying I even included a link to their site where they say that is what they are doing. Also you should of included a link like the one I found in the New York Times to help back your arguement. I wasn't going to at first but it was just sitting there under the one I was looking for.

While California isn't talking about it now I can see them the next time they start having brownouts and blackouts. With how hard they are pushing for using wind and solar. It would be a necessary action to prevent sections of the grid from failing. If anything ENRON did the US one favor when they show how close to failure the current system is. How easy it would take to place major areas in the dark such as Los Angles.

https://coneddlc.programprocessing.com/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/world/ameri...

The Left Coast

#32321 Aug 28, 2012
Hey, I believe, it's over 100 - AGAIN. Stop the warming!
Northie

Spokane, WA

#32322 Aug 28, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Con-Edison in New York is trying it out now. They will provide you with a free thermostat with the condition that they can shut down the compressor when there is a high electricity demand.
Since I don't doubt you will claim I am lying I even included a link to their site where they say that is what they are doing. Also you should of included a link like the one I found in the New York Times to help back your arguement. I wasn't going to at first but it was just sitting there under the one I was looking for.
While California isn't talking about it now I can see them the next time they start having brownouts and blackouts. With how hard they are pushing for using wind and solar. It would be a necessary action to prevent sections of the grid from failing. If anything ENRON did the US one favor when they show how close to failure the current system is. How easy it would take to place major areas in the dark such as Los Angles.
https://coneddlc.programprocessing.com/
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/world/ameri...
Congratulations on your first grownup link.

I don't doubt that ConEd is looking at rationing air conditioning during power emergencies, and doing it through a smart grid sure beats rolling brownouts. But that's simply a critical private utility company preparing for the worst, not "government run amok" (no matter what Glenn Beck says).
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

#32323 Aug 28, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't doubt that ConEd is looking at rationing air conditioning during power emergencies, and doing it through a smart grid sure beats rolling brownouts. But that's simply a critical private utility company preparing for the worst, not "government run amok" (no matter what Glenn Beck says).
They might be further ahead constructing enough solar power to offset A/C power demands, thus levelling the load and obviating such expensive and instrusive measures.
PHD

Houston, TX

#32324 Aug 28, 2012
Northie wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't let that fool you the Less than a Box of Rocks couldn't find or comprehend anything of value unless someone printed for it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burbank Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min My New Alias RULES 1,761,082
Bill Lammel Lied (Nov '16) 1 hr No Lions Here 37
Even Faster Eddie Needs A Job In November 1 hr Eddie Lost Big 5
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Chicagoan by Birth 243,471
Trump is A (Oct '17) 1 hr Chilli J 769
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 2 hr honeymylove 12,321
Four letter word game (Dec '11) 2 hr honeymylove 2,615

Burbank Jobs

Personal Finance

Burbank Mortgages