What is the fine for smoking in Burbank, CA?

Posted in the Burbank Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SAM

United States

#1 Nov 20, 2007
I just got a ticket in Burbank for smoking in the streets. I live in Van Nuys and I swear I didn't know Burbank's stupid smoking laws. Anyways, can someone tell me how much is the fine?
vip

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Dec 2, 2007
wowwwww i live in burbank and i did not know about it.
vip

Los Angeles, CA

#3 Dec 2, 2007
Burbank Says Goodbye to Secondhand Smoke
November 28th, 2007
Have you ever passed someone down the sidewalk and then you accidentally inhale the smoke coming out of that personís cigarette and mouth? Disgusting, right? Each of us has the responsibility to take care of our own bodies in our own ways. And we also have the right to do whatever it is we want to do with ourselves so long as it is not actually illegal and harmful to others. If some people want to smoke a cigarette or a tobacco then fine by me, it is their right to make that choice for themselves. However, if I wanted to suck nicotine out of a stick of burning paper and dried leaves, then I would much rather have a cigarette filter that minimizes the poison coming into my body rather than inhale secondhand smoke.

Secondhand smoke is something many people dismiss since living in highly industrialized environments can sometimes immune us from noticing smoke and pollution around us. However, it is actually something of big importance since it greatly affects the health of not just the people smoking the cigarettes, but also of the children, teenagers, and adults who happen to be near enough to inhale those smokersí secondhand smoke. Thankfully, this health issue has come to the attention of many people and in places such as the City of Burbank in California, city ordinances that help limit the exposure of non-smoking individuals to secondhand smoke has been implemented.

On the 3rd day of April of 2007, the Secondhand Smoke Control Law was adopted in the City of Burbank in California, USA. As mentioned earlier, the goal of this city ordinance is to lessen the exposure of Burbank citizens, visitors and workers who do not smoke to secondhand cigarette smoke. Not only does this ordinance take into account the negative effects on the peopleís health and well-being, but the ordinance also aims to lessen the negative emotional and social effects of secondhand smoke such as irritation and distemper which may lead to arguments and fights.

Beginning on the 12th of May of the same year until present, the new secondhand smoke control law has been in effect throughout the entire city of Burbank. This city ordinance aims to fulfill its goals through the assignment of non-smoking zones, both outdoor and indoor, throughout the city. That means that the ordinance does not completely prohibit smoking within the city and people can smoke in certain specific areas which the law does not cover.

Some places and areas which the new Burbank Secondhand Smoking Control Law states to be non-smoking areas are all elevators in the city, all the sidewalks, places where pedestrians use such as bus stops and sidewalk benches and all areas within five feet of them, outdoor dining, waiting and service areas and all areas within five feet of them, all the parks in the city and the surrounding areas spanning a 20 feet radius, any areas deemed non-smoking zones by building and property owners in Burbank, and several other places.

Hopefully with this new city ordinance, residents and visitors of Burbank, California will be free from inhaling secondhand smoke.
vip

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Dec 2, 2007
Burbank City ... could face fines of up to $500 if they light up outside designated smoking areas....
Jerrod

Clearwater, FL

#5 Mar 20, 2008
This is the most ignorant unfair law i have ever heard of.
Philly Jack

Upper Darby, PA

#6 Mar 20, 2008
Give me hard facts how many people get cancer of other sickness from it. I bet you can't even tell me you smug @##. Another person with a little knolage and doesn't have the cold hard facts to back it up. I hate the west cost for this reason.
I hope the big one comes soon and we get beach front Nevada property. No one will miss vapid idiots like the worst coasters East beasts West every time for not having stupid hippie laws like this.

"Secondhand smoke is something many people dismiss since living in highly industrialized environments can sometimes immune us from noticing smoke and pollution around us. However, it is actually something of big importance since it greatly affects the health of not just the people smoking the cigarettes, but also of the children, teenagers, and adults who happen to be near enough to inhale those smokersí secondhand smoke."
Scofflaw

Ottawa, Canada

#7 May 12, 2008
When you start getting stupid laws, everyone should just ignore them... they think they can make marijuana illegal ha... kids are smoking it in plain view now. All this does is to reduce peoples adherence to all other laws that actually make sense. You have about 2% chance of getting caught and you should fight it in court, jam them up good. Otherwise have fun.
Stunned and Dismayed

Los Angeles, CA

#8 May 25, 2008
I have lived Burbank ajacent for just over 23 years. I do 95% of my shopping in Burbank, but I rarely frequent Downtown Burbank. In fact, the last time I was there was about 5 years ago to see a movie. Well, I took my grandsons to a movie in Downtown Burbank yesterday. Upon leaving the theater, I walked about 2 blocks (towards the parking structure), made sure there were no pedestrians around, sent my grandsons about 10 feet away to look at live birds in one of the store fronts and lit up a cigarette. Two police on bicycles rode past me, and I didn't think anything of it. But they circled back and gave me a ticket for smoking. I was totally surprised and dismayed when the officer started writing the ticket. He asked didn't I see the no smoking signs posted everywhere. I told him no, this was all new to me. I told him I am a very consicentious smoker and always find a non populated area to smoke and there were butts in the street where I stopped to smoke. I asked if he could give me a warning since I was not aware of the non smoking law, and he said, "No, Burbank shop owners are very adament about their non smoking policies." Okay, this is the part that really bothers me, the signs are very small and posted at about my waist level (I'm only 5' 3"). They were posted on or near corners, but I never looked down, and who would for non smoking warning signs (oh, and the signs I saw in shop windows -- way down in the corner.) If signs are to be posted, they should be as large as Burbank's parking signs and/or at least at eye level. I am going to court to see if they will let me off with a warning. If I have to pay a fine, it will be the last time Burbank gets a penny from me. I will never shop in that city again. For those non smokers who may comment about my smoking while with my grandchildren, don't. I tested the wind and sent them in the opposite direction. I do not smoke in the house, and I do not smoke in the car. And really, if you want to rag on anyone, why not harrass the freaking cigarette companies. They hooked me way way back when there were cigarette commercials on TV and before their were any warning labels.
Non smokers

Los Angeles, CA

#9 May 25, 2008
I was raised in a house with 2 smoking parents. Between them they smoked 4 packs a day. This was back before cigarettes were deemed harmful. All eight of us children are not dead yet of second hand smoke. None of us show signs of any type of cancers. The oldest is now turning 58. Time will tell, but the way the non smokers are ranting and raving, all eight of us children should have been dead decades ago. And, BTW, the people who are so against smoking now, were the smokers of my generation and so were there parents. Hippocrits, all of you!
Get a Grip

San Jose, CA

#10 Jun 4, 2008
WTF what's up with all these self righteous people saying I don't want to smell your smoke and saying they're worried about their kids' health as they pack them into a giant polluting SUV. I'll give you some facts. Asthma is on the rise in almost every city and if you ask an environmental scientist he'll tell you cigarettes aren't the problem its cars. so stop complaining and GET A GRIP!
Ghalah

United States

#11 Jul 16, 2008
The real issue with 2nd hand smoke is for people with Asthma.

I'm one of the unusual ones of my generation (over 55) in that I've never smoked, but I've had lots of friends that did or still do. I'm not bothered by the fear of cancer and I'm not bothered by the smell.

But I became Asthmatic in the last few years, and really....I like to be able to breathe. So now my friends are careful not to smoke in the room or car if I'm present, and they are careful if we are outdoors to make sure I'm not downwind of the smoke.

I really don't like wheezing for breath, coughing, and needing to use my inhaler (which leaves me feeling really crappy).
Gregory

Lake Arrowhead, CA

#12 Jul 18, 2008
Sam, in answer to your question, if you went to the effort to hire an attorney, as Shia LeBeof did, you might end up with a dismissal and court costs of about $500. If you didn't mind an infraction conviction of the charge, the fine is about $400.

http://www.BurbankLeader.com has had great coverage of the smoking ordinance if you wanted further information.
Gregory

Lake Arrowhead, CA

#13 Jul 18, 2008
Sam-

There are a few Burbank area sources of information which might also provide some further insight on Burbank Municipal Code violations, such as the http://www.burbankcriminaldefenseattorney.com and http://thelosangelescriminaldefenseattorney.c... webpages.
Pacoima Mama

Glendale, CA

#14 Aug 10, 2008
I still see people smoking outside on the patio at the Tallyrand Restaurant when I drive by. What's up with that?

Since: Aug 08

Pasadena

#15 Aug 15, 2008
Shit man, who cares? I just Tro thicket on the street. I never pay for dis shit...
Jake

Glendale, CA

#16 Oct 18, 2008
Disallowing smoking is not only a human right violation, it's also discrimination of Native American culture. If a cigarette smoke is bad for humanity, then why not outlaw motor vehicles which can crash people, why not outlaw electricity which can be hazardous, why not outlaw medication which can cause life threatening side effects? I'm a smoker and I will smoke wherever I want and I will try my ticket at Burbank court of law, if it's necessary! After all, this is still North America, better yet, United States.(next time, make sure not to elect stupid and ignorant people as council,)
rcb

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Nov 13, 2008
hi did u win?, im planning to contest mine too. and wat they question u
Mike

AOL

#18 Dec 8, 2008
Why doesn't this ordinance mention smoking in INDOOR places such as restaurants? Is that already covered by a county law or something?
Pacoima Mama

Glendale, CA

#19 Feb 2, 2009
Stunned and Dismayed wrote:
I have lived Burbank ajacent for just over 23 years. I do 95% of my shopping in Burbank, but I rarely frequent Downtown Burbank. In fact, the last time I was there was about 5 years ago to see a movie. Well, I took my grandsons to a movie in Downtown Burbank yesterday. Upon leaving the theater, I walked about 2 blocks (towards the parking structure), made sure there were no pedestrians around, sent my grandsons about 10 feet away to look at live birds in one of the store fronts and lit up a cigarette. Two police on bicycles rode past me, and I didn't think anything of it. But they circled back and gave me a ticket for smoking. I was totally surprised and dismayed when the officer started writing the ticket. He asked didn't I see the no smoking signs posted everywhere. I told him no, this was all new to me. I told him I am a very consicentious smoker and always find a non populated area to smoke and there were butts in the street where I stopped to smoke. I asked if he could give me a warning since I was not aware of the non smoking law, and he said, "No, Burbank shop owners are very adament about their non smoking policies." Okay, this is the part that really bothers me, the signs are very small and posted at about my waist level (I'm only 5' 3"). They were posted on or near corners, but I never looked down, and who would for non smoking warning signs (oh, and the signs I saw in shop windows -- way down in the corner.) If signs are to be posted, they should be as large as Burbank's parking signs and/or at least at eye level. I am going to court to see if they will let me off with a warning. If I have to pay a fine, it will be the last time Burbank gets a penny from me. I will never shop in that city again. For those non smokers who may comment about my smoking while with my grandchildren, don't. I tested the wind and sent them in the opposite direction. I do not smoke in the house, and I do not smoke in the car. And really, if you want to rag on anyone, why not harrass the freaking cigarette companies. They hooked me way way back when there were cigarette commercials on TV and before their were any warning labels.
You are just plain stupid !!!
Wow

United States

#20 Apr 3, 2009
I just found out about this shit, I live in Burbank too. Thank god because I smoked outside at CVS and saw a sign later, then I also saw more things about it. this is nuts!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Burbank Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lesbian Love, More Intimate than most? 52 min RisaRainbow 1
Lawmaker sworn in with bash that busts tradition 1 hr Sam Toliver 2
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Samuel-6g-Jackson 19,357
loving the la 7 hr Anonymous 1
Armenian organized crime grows more complex (Oct '10) Sun makerizian 791
Bob Hope Airport Is Major Asset To The Economic... Oct 1 hannahlou 1
Woman arrested for possession of drugs with chi... Oct 1 hannahlou 1

Burbank News Video

Burbank Dating
Find my Match

Burbank Jobs

Burbank People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Burbank News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Burbank