Parents Outraged Over Discovery at Bu...

Parents Outraged Over Discovery at Buffalo School #67

There are 1009 comments on the WIVB Buffalo story from Mar 12, 2008, titled Parents Outraged Over Discovery at Buffalo School #67. In it, WIVB Buffalo reports that:

Ed Bednarz, parent, "Cause I have kids. A 4 year-old and a 6 year-old. If indeed that's what's happening.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WIVB Buffalo.

First Prev
of 51
Next Last
concerned parent

Buffalo, NY

#1 Mar 12, 2008
The thought that the aide was permitted in the building is outrageous. If there was concern over the merit of the allegations, the aide should not have been allowed contact with any of the children while it was investigated. It seems as though the principal was more concerned with protecting the aide and the schools reputation that our children. Disappointment does not begin to describe what I think of the Principal.
shannon

AOL

#2 Mar 12, 2008
I'M SORRY FOR THE THE FAMILY MY SON GOES TO THE SAME SCHHOL AND I FEEL AS A PARENT THAT THE PRINCIPAL SHOULD BE HELD RESPONABLE BE CAUSE SHE KNEW ALL ABOUT IT AND DID NOT DO ANYTHING TO HELP THIS POOR LITTLE BOY I DON'T FEEL SAFE HAVING MY SON IN THE SAME SCHOOL BECAUSE SHE DID NOT FEEL THAT WAS NOT IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO REPORT IT WHAT ELSE IS SHE HIDDING BUT AS I WAS TOLD BEFORE MRS BOTTICELLO LOVES HER STUDENTS AS IF THEY WERE HER OWN I DONOT THINK SHE WOULD ALLOW THAT TO HAPPEN TO HER OWN CHILD
DS67 Mom

Niagara Falls, NY

#3 Mar 12, 2008
My child has been a student at this school for a few years now. Yes, this is a horrible thing that has happened and maybe Mrs Botticello could have handled it differently, but speaking from passed experiences with her, I believe that she did what she thought was right at the time. I do not believe for one moment that she was informing the aide of what was being reported to her. If there is one thing that can be said about Mrs Botticello is that she is a fair and compassionate woman. Place the blame where it belongs...and that remains to be seen over the next few weeks. Keep your chin up Mrs B, things will all work out in the wash!
Kathy

AOL

#4 Mar 12, 2008
This area is declining very quickly. One of the reasons is the Bufalo Public Schools. Who wants to live here and send their children to schools where lies and cover-ups are the order of the day? The school board is busy wagging the dog in the McKinley high school situation, investigating who may have contacted the media. The time would be better spent finding out why two people in one school are getting away with so much. Better yet, why is the superintendent backing them?
Now we have yet another principal who is handling a situation by ignoring it. There is nothing in this case that justifies the way it was NOT handled. It's a disgusting display of abuse of power. Principal's are all about power. Speaking of power, James Williams could use a permanent vacation, somewhere far from Buffalo.
HERE'S AN IDEA. HOW ABOUT A DISTRICT WIDE BOYCOTT OF THE SCHOOLS. ON MARCH 31ST, PARENTS SHOULD KEEP THEIR CHILDREN OUT OF SHCOOL. I wonder how much money would be lost in one day in state aid. Hitting anyone in the wallet always hurts the most.
At the very least, parents of school #67 children should take some sort of action. I certainly would not send my child back there. What else is going on there that you don't know about!?
Kathy - Concerned Parent

Buffalo, NY

#5 Mar 12, 2008
Why did the parents have to find out about this in this mornings newspaper and why did it take four months? The principal should be fired; the alleged aide should have been let go on the spot and someone should defend the teacher and the child. THIS TOOK PLACE IN AN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL - what about the safety of our children!!!
Lets Go Buffalo

North Tonawanda, NY

#6 Mar 12, 2008
Kathy wrote:
This area is declining very quickly. One of the reasons is the Bufalo Public Schools. Who wants to live here and send their children to schools where lies and cover-ups are the order of the day? The school board is busy wagging the dog in the McKinley high school situation, investigating who may have contacted the media. The time would be better spent finding out why two people in one school are getting away with so much. Better yet, why is the superintendent backing them?
Now we have yet another principal who is handling a situation by ignoring it. There is nothing in this case that justifies the way it was NOT handled. It's a disgusting display of abuse of power. Principal's are all about power. Speaking of power, James Williams could use a permanent vacation, somewhere far from Buffalo.
HERE'S AN IDEA. HOW ABOUT A DISTRICT WIDE BOYCOTT OF THE SCHOOLS. ON MARCH 31ST, PARENTS SHOULD KEEP THEIR CHILDREN OUT OF SHCOOL. I wonder how much money would be lost in one day in state aid. Hitting anyone in the wallet always hurts the most.
At the very least, parents of school #67 children should take some sort of action. I certainly would not send my child back there. What else is going on there that you don't know about!?
Leadership establishes the culture of an organization... When a football team is losing they fire the coach.. It's that simple..
regina

Buffalo, NY

#7 Mar 12, 2008
what the hell is going on at that school,a teacher is not going to lie maybe the principal should be removed also because he did nothing about the situation this happened in nov.that is just sad and ridiculus now had that been somebody black they would of been handled this and the offender would of been locked up for rape. these white people get away with murder boy i tell u!
Irene

Tonawanda, NY

#9 Mar 13, 2008
I am a parent of a child with a disability, I find it appalling that such an allegation could be lodged and nothing was immediately done about it. Who will protect our children? This is truly a disgrace, and the school officials should have acted immediately. SHAME ON YOU!!
Tom

Troy, MI

#10 Mar 13, 2008
Why is it always Buffalo Schools,cops, firemen or politicians that create these things. The rest of the country tries to take care of the young, the disabled, the old and the needy. In Buffalo these situations just provide an oppertunity take take advantage of someone, make some money or further a personal agenda. Mr.Williams needs to go. There needs to be more oversite into the indavidual "kingdoms", oops sorry, schools, that have run amuck with the people in charge now. There seems to be no accountibility to anyone. We have a disfuntioning school board, a city administration that is more interested in perception than substance, and union leaders that are only interested in thier survivle. A perfect example is giving a job, representing the schools,(thier spokesperson) to someone who was fired by all the media outlets in the area. Well thought out guys. The good 'ole boys crap needs to stop and we need to get our prioritis straight.
sambo

Buffalo, NY

#11 Mar 13, 2008
regina wrote:
what the hell is going on at that school,a teacher is not going to lie maybe the principal should be removed also because he did nothing about the situation this happened in nov.that is just sad and ridiculus now had that been somebody black they would of been handled this and the offender would of been locked up for rape. these white people get away with murder boy i tell u!
WAy to play the race card...typical
Peter A Reese

AOL

#12 Mar 13, 2008
Where is Chris Jacobs in all this? He has plenty of time to pursue foolish ethics complaints about "leaks". Why not use that time protecting our children?
DISCOVERY SCHOOL PARENT

Elma, NY

#13 Mar 13, 2008
Our children have been at Discovery since the begining. This is a great school and Mrs. Botticello is a wonderful person and leader. The people who have a problem with her are the usual people who have a problem with good leadership, authority...or the people who have kids that are in trouble. Regarding this situation I have a hard time believing there was any kind of cover up and that it is absolutly in the hands of City Hall...They are to blame for dropping the ball... Look at the other things going on there...Discovery is a great school of great family's...and just what South Buffalo needed...What people don't understand is that it is not your "typical" Buffalo Public School.
kimr45

Lewiston, ME

#14 Mar 13, 2008
once again i smell a coverup, shame on that teacher a a handicapped child who cantdefend himself? we live in such a messed up world, if i was that childs parent, id be at city hall demanding answers, it makes me sick are kids arent safe in safe whata a shame , did they do a criminal check on this teacher? she needs help, i am so sorry for the child who dosent have the ability to defend himself. maybe cameras are needed in the bathroooms? is that all that they covered up?
DS67 Mom

AOL

#15 Mar 13, 2008
DISCOVERY SCHOOL PARENT wrote:
Our children have been at Discovery since the begining. This is a great school and Mrs. Botticello is a wonderful person and leader. The people who have a problem with her are the usual people who have a problem with good leadership, authority...or the people who have kids that are in trouble. Regarding this situation I have a hard time believing there was any kind of cover up and that it is absolutly in the hands of City Hall...They are to blame for dropping the ball... Look at the other things going on there...Discovery is a great school of great family's...and just what South Buffalo needed...What people don't understand is that it is not your "typical" Buffalo Public School.
Amen to what you have said. Too bad more of the parents don't think like us!!! This is a wonderful program for our kids, and if we want it to continue, all of the parents need to stick together and stand behind the Mrs Botticello that we all know and love. Everyone needs to stop pointing fingers until this is solved. I'm sure there are many missing pieces to the puzzle at this point. The issue at hand needs to be addressed, no one should be looking to fire the principal on "heresay"!!!
lets go buffalo

Delevan, NY

#16 Mar 13, 2008
DISCOVERY SCHOOL PARENT wrote:
Our children have been at Discovery since the begining. This is a great school and Mrs. Botticello is a wonderful person and leader. The people who have a problem with her are the usual people who have a problem with good leadership, authority...or the people who have kids that are in trouble. Regarding this situation I have a hard time believing there was any kind of cover up and that it is absolutly in the hands of City Hall...They are to blame for dropping the ball... Look at the other things going on there...Discovery is a great school of great family's...and just what South Buffalo needed...What people don't understand is that it is not your "typical" Buffalo Public School.
I have relatives who attend BPS 67.. They love it.. It's a shame the school has to suffer through this..

The issue at heart is the fact that this administrator is a mandatory reporter. She must report all cases of suspected abuse within 48hrs to the proper authorites.. Failure to report suspected child abuse can result in criminal liability, although the liability is typically a misdemeanor punishable by a fine...She problem didn't pursue it because the kid is autistic and can't speak for himself..
Cricket

AOL

#17 Mar 13, 2008
regina wrote:
what the hell is going on at that school,a teacher is not going to lie maybe the principal should be removed also because he did nothing about the situation this happened in nov.that is just sad and ridiculus now had that been somebody black they would of been handled this and the offender would of been locked up for rape. these white people get away with murder boy i tell u!
Regina: Do you even have a kid at this school? Obviously not, or you would know the principal is a "she", not a "he". This has nothing to do with race..maybe in your world it does, but not here. So if you don't know what you are talking about, maybe you should keep your opinion to yourself!
DEBBIE

Niagara Falls, NY

#18 Mar 13, 2008
Cricket wrote:
<quoted text> Regina: Do you even have a kid at this school? Obviously not, or you would know the principal is a "she", not a "he". This has nothing to do with race..maybe in your world it does, but not here. So if you don't know what you are talking about, maybe you should keep your opinion to yourself!
WAY TO GO CRICKET I THINK TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE TOO QUICK TO JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS. ESPECIALLY THE OPPSITE RACE ALWAYS THINKING US WHITE PEOPLE ARE THE ENEMIES.
lets go buffalo

Delevan, NY

#19 Mar 13, 2008
This is right out of the NYS manual... Notice the language "before the mandated reporter.." I would be seeking the consul of a good lawyer if I was this principal..Irregardless if these allegations are true, she failed to contact the proper authorities..

When Am I Mandated to Report?

Mandated reporters are required to report suspected child abuse or maltreatment when, in their official or professional role, they are presented with a reasonable cause to suspect child abuse or maltreatment where a child, parent, or other person legally responsible for the child is before the mandated reporter when the mandated reporter is acting in his or her official or professional capacity. "Other person legally responsible" refers to a guardian, caretaker, or other person 18 years of age or older who is responsible for the care of the child.(See page 9 for more information on referrals to law enforcement officials.)
buffalo bob

Alfred Station, NY

#20 Mar 13, 2008
Lets Go Buffalo wrote:
<quoted text>
Leadership establishes the culture of an organization... When a football team is losing they fire the coach.. It's that simple..
I couldn't agree with you more!!
buffalo bob

Alfred Station, NY

#21 Mar 13, 2008
regina wrote:
what the hell is going on at that school,a teacher is not going to lie maybe the principal should be removed also because he did nothing about the situation this happened in nov.that is just sad and ridiculus now had that been somebody black they would of been handled this and the offender would of been locked up for rape. these white people get away with murder boy i tell u!
Here we go, pulling out the race card again...
Even if you are right, the race card is so over played that when people hear it brought up over and over and over and over and over they immediately tune the person out!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 51
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What's the best Kristmast Carrols you grew up w... 5 hr Buck Rohde 5
Joseph Sigman 11 hr his sister 1
Jason sigmon 11 hr his sister 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Wed Proud American 20,707
News WIVB-TV News4 Buffalo, NY |Contract for Depew r... (May '08) Dec 6 tom 133
is Nalina Shapiro fat? (Dec '12) Dec 6 news 87
Buffalo Medical Campus Apartments Dec 6 medicalcampusbuff... 1

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages