Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 62720 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Anonymous

Niagara Falls, NY

#8639 Mar 10, 2008
Ask and receive; seek and find.

No secret.

Council of Priests

President: Bishop Edward U. Kmiec
Bishop Edward M. Grosz
Chairman: Rev. Peter Drilling
Vice Chairman: Rev. Richard Zajac
Secretary: Rev. Joseph Zalacca

Reveerends: MICHAEL PARKER, Jacob Ledwon, Stewart Lindsay, Joseph Sicari, David Slubecky, Gregory Faulhaber, Bart Lipiec, Joseph Vatter, James Wall, Daniel Walsh, Steven Frenier, Robert Hughson, Robert Leising, Jerry Sullivan, Denis Mancuso, Daniel Fawls, Peter Karalus, Art mattulke, Ronny Sams, Bob Zaefel, Joe Burke, Larry Damian, Dennis Riter, Jerry Green, Joe gullo, Fabian Maryanski, Joe Porpiglia, Dick Zajac.
Anonymous

Niagara Falls, NY

#8640 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
No secret.
Council of Priests
Bishop Edward M. Grosz
Reveerends: MICHAEL PARKER, Jacob Ledwon, Stewart Lindsay, Joseph Sicari, David Slubecky, Gregory Faulhaber, Bart Lipiec, Joseph Vatter, James Wall, Daniel Walsh, Steven Frenier, Robert Hughson, Robert Leising, Jerry Sullivan, Denis Mancuso, Daniel Fawls, Peter Karalus, Art mattulke, Ronny Sams, Bob Zaefel, Joe Burke, Larry Damian, Dennis Riter, Jerry Green, Joe gullo, Fabian Maryanski, Joe Porpiglia, Dick Zajac.
Why do I have a feeling that Curious won't be so curious any longer?

Now, that's not to imply she shows partiality to anyone who she may like or have a connection.
Anonymous

AOL

#8641 Mar 10, 2008
Why isn't Vatter staying in Medina?
Anonymous

Niagara Falls, NY

#8642 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
Mmm......

It's all banter, right?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#8643 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do I have a feeling that Curious won't be so curious any longer?
Now, that's not to imply she shows partiality to anyone who she may like or have a connection.
Almost all of these names were already posted, Sherlock.
Anonymous

AOL

#8644 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Mmm......
It's all banter, right?
Main Entry: 1ban·ter
Pronunciation:\&#712;ban-t &#601;r\
Function: verb
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1676
transitive verb
1: to speak to or address in a witty and teasing manner
2archaic : delude
3chiefly Southern & Midland : challenge
intransitive verb
: to speak or act playfully or wittily
Anonymous

Venus, PA

#8645 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
No secret.
Council of Priests
Bishop Edward M. Grosz
Thanks!
Anonymous

Niagara Falls, NY

#8646 Mar 10, 2008
The Vatican adds 7 new deadly sins. The ope says pedophilia in the clergy is blown up by the media to discredit the church!!!! yeah, right! Pedophilia only gets a scant mention in this article

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336330,00...
Anonymous

Venus, PA

#8647 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Almost all of these names were already posted, Sherlock.
The names may have been posted at one time, but with over 8,000 blogs, people don't feel like reading through all the blogs to find something.
Anonymous

Venus, PA

#8648 Mar 10, 2008
Sad day for Our Lady of Lebanon Church yesterday. See article in today's Niagara Gazette. A couple of quotes from the article -

1) One parishioner summed it up - "Our Lady of Lebanon isn't just a building, it's a part of her life and her community, she said."

2) We're supposed to to St. Stan's but, I don't know," said Marie Yarussi. "I think I'm going to try different parishes and see which one I like."

3) The Rev. William Allegretto, pastor at Our Lady of Lebanon, knows ultimately people will spread out and worship where they decide they feel comfoertable, despite recommendations from the diocese to make St. Stan's their new parish.

This was pointed out months ago -- people will not head to a new parish just because the diocese says so. They will go wherever they feel comfortable and welcomed. Faith communities and parish families will be broken up and splintered. People will scatter and float from one place to another, never putting down new roots. A sad day for the city of Niagara Falls and Our Lady of Lebanon parish.

Anonymous

Venus, PA

#8649 Mar 10, 2008
Typo above - sorry - "We're supposed to GO to St. Stan's......"
The Dunkirk Connection

Redford, MI

#8650 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
If that's true, here's someone who will be REALLY disappointed to see him go. From the Medina newspaper in January re the merging of the three parishes there:

“Personally, I couldn’t be happier. It was the right choice for the people,” said Middleport resident Pauline Wittkopp.“I don’t think there’s any one that could make the difference Father will when he brings these three parishes together. He is involved with every aspect of his parish, not just a small group of people.”

"Wittkopp said she has waited on pins and needles for the announcement since December. The former owner of Village Variety, now the Towpath Cafe, became close with Vatter during a difficult time in her life a few years ago, she said. The two have since become friends and speak on the phone every day."

P.S. This merger was not taking place until July. Looks like he won't be bringing these three parishes together after all.
Annonymous

United States

#8651 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
BATS!
Anonymous

AOL

#8652 Mar 10, 2008
The Dunkirk Connection wrote:
<quoted text>
If that's true, here's someone who will be REALLY disappointed to see him go. From the Medina newspaper in January re the merging of the three parishes there:
“Personally, I couldn’t be happier. It was the right choice for the people,” said Middleport resident Pauline Wittkopp.“I don’t think there’s any one that could make the difference Father will when he brings these three parishes together. He is involved with every aspect of his parish, not just a small group of people.”
"Wittkopp said she has waited on pins and needles for the announcement since December. The former owner of Village Variety, now the Towpath Cafe, became close with Vatter during a difficult time in her life a few years ago, she said. The two have since become friends and speak on the phone every day."
P.S. This merger was not taking place until July. Looks like he won't be bringing these three parishes together after all.
Mmmmmmmm.....

It's all banter, right?
Anonymous

Venus, PA

#8653 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
Sad day for Our Lady of Lebanon Church yesterday. See article in today's Niagara Gazette. A couple of quotes from the article -
1) One parishioner summed it up - "Our Lady of Lebanon isn't just a building, it's a part of her life and her community, she said."
2) We're supposed to to St. Stan's but, I don't know," said Marie Yarussi. "I think I'm going to try different parishes and see which one I like."
3) The Rev. William Allegretto, pastor at Our Lady of Lebanon, knows ultimately people will spread out and worship where they decide they feel comfoertable, despite recommendations from the diocese to make St. Stan's their new parish.
This was pointed out months ago -- people will not head to a new parish just because the diocese says so. They will go wherever they feel comfortable and welcomed. Faith communities and parish families will be broken up and splintered. People will scatter and float from one place to another, never putting down new roots. A sad day for the city of Niagara Falls and Our Lady of Lebanon parish.
Indeed, a very sad day for Our Lady of Lebanon. I hope the parishioners find a new parish to call home.
Anonymous

Venus, PA

#8654 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed, a very sad day for Our Lady of Lebanon. I hope the parishioners find a new parish to call home.
Eventually, people will settle somewhere - but the parish "family bonds" are broken forever. Not EVERYONE will settle in one place. As the one blogger above stated, people will scatter and float around.
Anonymous

Niagara Falls, NY

#8655 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Main Entry: 1ban·ter
Pronunciation:\&#712;ban-t &#601;r\
Function: verb
Etymology: origin unknown
Date: 1676
transitive verb
1: to speak to or address in a witty and teasing manner
2archaic : delude
3chiefly Southern & Midland : challenge
intransitive verb
: to speak or act playfully or wittily
Gammi has left the blog.

Right, we believe it.
Anonymous

Niagara Falls, NY

#8656 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Gammi has left the blog.
Right, we believe it.
Why does it bother you so much? Can't you just blog and forget about it? I guess you won't be going to Gammi's fundraiser for local catholic blog hero's. All proceeds donated to Blog Hero's of WNY. It's all banter, right?
anonymous

Auburn, ME

#8657 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question. I asked this question many blogs ago and never got an answer. I tried going on to the Buffalo Diocesan web page thinking there might be a list of the Council of Priests. Couldn't find anything. If you look on "Bishop Kmiec's Schedule", you will see this Council meets on a monthly basis. I too understood that all closings/mergers needed to be run by them.(Canon Law) Do they have any power? Could they have recommended that some of these
closings/mergers be reversed. Could they disagree with the recommendations -- or -- like you said are they just a bunch of true blue company "yes men"? Does Regina have her ultimate power over them too? Any one know the answers?
As quoted from the Directory of the Diocese of Buffalo 2008:

The Council of oriests is the chief consultative body to the bishop. 21 members are elected 6 are appointed by the bishop and 4 by reason of the office they hold.(total of 32 on council)
3 of the elected members represent rural areas, 3 represent religious congregations. The remaining 15 represent seniority groups of the diocesan clergy.
President: KMIEC
AUX.BISHOP: GORSZ
CHAIR: DRILLING
VICE CHAIR: ZAJAC
SECRETARY: ZALACCA

CONSTITUTION and ELECTIONS
LEDWON< LINDSDAY(osfs)>SICARI(chair )>SLUBECKY

PRIESTLY LIFE
FAULHAUBER>LPIEC(chair)> VATTER>WALL>WALSH

MINISTRY
FRENIER(ofm)>HUGHSON(chair) >R. LEISING>
J. SULLIVAN>MANCUSO

VOCATIONS
FAWLS>KARALUS>MATTULKE >SAMS(sj)>ZAPHEL(chair)

PEACE AND JUSTICE
BURKE(sj)>DAMIAN(chair)> RITER

TEMPORALITIES
GREEN>GULLO>MARYANSKI >PARKER>PORPIGLIS(chair)
anonymous

Auburn, ME

#8658 Mar 10, 2008
Anonymous wrote:
Here is the Niagara Gazette Article:

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/local/local_st...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr Truth 21,253
Why does the Buffalo accent sound so dumb? 7 hr Ann Coulter 9
What would happen? Sat Chuck 1
News USS Little Rock LCS9 Commander accepts 'key to ... Sat Phil 1
Al Sharpton, Boffalos next mayor Dec 7 scotty steiner 25
Is Heather Waldman Hot or Not? (Apr '17) Dec 6 Cakethesnake 16
Only homosexual men study Library Science (Jun '17) Dec 6 Anne Harrington 82

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages