Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 62888 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

TOM

Baden, Canada

#55347 Apr 7, 2013
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>I am just wondering whether this Fr. Muth used to be a monk at the Simona Petra monastery on Mt. Athos, living under the name James Muth. He had been a Benedictine at Collegeville. If it is the same person, he did make some problems in Greece.
Can you elaborate? What happened in Greece?
anon

Buffalo, NY

#55348 Apr 7, 2013
Warsaw Phil wrote:
Maybe Francis I will compel all bishops to divulge the names of all credibly accused priests? That will go along way to help restore credibility. Imagine Mansell and Cunningham returning to Buffalo to hold a news conference and release all the remaining names of those accused.(Quite frankly, most of then are dead or out of ministry, but such a move would show more openness and honesty.)
Many of the abusers may be dead but their death doesn't eleviate the pain of suffering victims or the family of victims who have also suffered. It is the silence that is the problem.The cure is breaking that silence.Will it take a papal decree for the DOB to end the silence?
anonymous

New York, NY

#55349 Apr 7, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>Many of the abusers may be dead but their death doesn't eleviate the pain of suffering victims or the family of victims who have also suffered. It is the silence that is the problem.The cure is breaking that silence.Will it take a papal decree for the DOB to end the silence?
No, it won't take a papal decree, will it?
anonymous

New York, NY

#55350 Apr 7, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text>Many of the abusers may be dead but their death doesn't eleviate the pain of suffering victims or the family of victims who have also suffered. It is the silence that is the problem.The cure is breaking that silence.Will it take a papal decree for the DOB to end the silence?
Below we publish a translation of a communique issued Friday morning by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith:

The Holy Father today received in audience Archbishop Gerhard Ludwig Mueller, Prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. During the audience, various subjects pertaining to the Dicastery were discussed, the Holy Father recommended in particular that the Congregation, continue the line desired by Benedict XVI of decisive action regarding cases of sexual abuse, primarily by promoting measures for child protection; help for the many who in the past have suffered such violence; due process against those who are guilty; the commitment of Bishops' Conferences in the formulation and implementation of the necessary directives in this area which is of great importance to the witness of the Church and its credibility. The Holy Father assured that the victims of abuse and their suffering are especially present in his thoughts and prayers.

From the Holy Father, himself, assurance that the names and crimes will be publish. For some, the first step in the healing process.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#55351 Apr 7, 2013
Warsaw Phil wrote:
The Paulines have been in trouble in their native land, Poland for quite some time. Many diocesan priests thoroughly despise them, because of their financial intrigues and sexual misbehaviot
The diocesan priests hate eachother, why would they like the Paulines? Especially if they have some success.
Sr Mary Holy Card

Buffalo, NY

#55352 Apr 7, 2013
Why is Paul Sabo retiring early? These early retirements do not speak well for clergy morale in the DOB.
Isn't the retirement age in the DOB 70 or more?
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55353 Apr 7, 2013
Warsaw Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Don't worry. It will close. Ciminelli and Paladino have their eyes on it.
Wonderful plan! The present administration can eat up all the money that Segundo left and the Cathedral can sell the property and get some big cash so the Bishops and their friends can live in fine style. We dummies can keep working our tails off and all we will have left is some tool shed in the suburbs.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55354 Apr 7, 2013
It is true wrote:
<quoted text>
Monaco is very open about his lifestyle
That's why he should be admired. He makes a great role model for all of us.

( this is sarcasm for those who must be told)
anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#55355 Apr 7, 2013
Why does it bother so many of my brothers what I paid for my cottage, or what I do with my hard earned money. You yes men are all jealous. Get over it and move on and spend those hot summer days in the rectory.
Warsaw Phil

Saint James, NY

#55356 Apr 7, 2013
TOM wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you elaborate? What happened in Greece?
Forget about Greece, The RCMP also has the goods on him. He was "kicked out" of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Toronto and shifted to the Eparchy of Phoenix (at that time known as the Eparchy of Van Nuys). He got into trouble there and transferred to the Eparchy of Parma, where he also had problems and was subject to a criminal case, with all documents sealed,(summary judgment, with prejudice) and the Eparchy of Parma had to fork over $300,000 to settle the case. He later moved to Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, whenre he was subsequently removed from ministry after open heart surgery. It would appear he is canonically entitled to celebrate mass, as his removal from ministry was officially at least on health grounds I know most Eastern Catholic want nothing to do with him. In Greece, there were some incidents, where items he had borrowed from others, were mysteriously stolen. Muth's father was a skilled jurist who knew hot to navigate the "ins" and "outs" of the judicial system. The Greek Orthodox and Antiochian Orthodox churches rejected him for ordination. He reverted to Catholicism and was ordained by the late Bishop Borecky of Toronto. Borecky was a lovable guy,but would ordain anyone. Borecky was also the first Ukrainian bishop to ordain married priests in the Western hemisphere,which brought the Vatican's ire upon him. He was summarily replaced, but the clergy refused to accept the new bishop after some years, both bishops resigned,and a compromise bishop was installed. Most of the details on the Muth case are on bishop accountability.org . I am sure he is still up to something. Priests like him are very manipulative.
Warsaw Phil

Saint James, NY

#55357 Apr 7, 2013
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
All you need to do is read some of the posts from these so-called
"good and faithful Catholics" and you will understand why morale is so low.
Yes, Mary, there are times that I am inclined to agree with you on this. In the other hand, a lot of the priests have brought problems on themselves. Maybe, the chancery could do a little more to show some appreciation. It would be nice to see a few more priests with the title "Monsignor". Just a way of showing a little appreciation for a job well done. there are still a few good priests in this diocese. for the most part, their names hardly ever appear on this blog.
Anonymous

United States

#55358 Apr 7, 2013
Warsaw Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Five yers, Probably sooner. the DOB estimated sometime ago that it will have only 142 active priests in 2014. Things will get worse before they get worse. And they have to do something about the SJV/CTK. The handwriting has been on the wall for quite some time.
Is Sr. Reggie revising her prediction?
If there are no students entering the seminary NOW, how many priests will the diocese have, say, in 10, 15, 20 years?
Summer Huts

Tonawanda, NY

#55359 Apr 7, 2013
anonymous wrote:
Why does it bother so many of my brothers what I paid for my cottage, or what I do with my hard earned money. You yes men are all jealous. Get over it and move on and spend those hot summer days in the rectory.
Did you get that money from funerals and weddings in order to buy your 'lovenest?'
Summer Huts

Tonawanda, NY

#55360 Apr 7, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why he should be admired. He makes a great role model for all of us.
( this is sarcasm for those who must be told)
Yes, Monaco is very honest about his lifestyle.
Summer Huts

Tonawanda, NY

#55361 Apr 7, 2013
Sr Mary Holy Card wrote:
Why is Paul Sabo retiring early? These early retirements do not speak well for clergy morale in the DOB.
Isn't the retirement age in the DOB 70 or more?
Pick up the phone and call him!
Anonymous

United States

#55362 Apr 7, 2013
Summer Huts wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, Monaco is very honest about his lifestyle.
Yes, veery honest but very wrong.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#55363 Apr 7, 2013
Warsaw Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, Mary, there are times that I am inclined to agree with you on this. In the other hand, a lot of the priests have brought problems on themselves. Maybe, the chancery could do a little more to show some appreciation. It would be nice to see a few more priests with the title "Monsignor". Just a way of showing a little appreciation for a job well done. there are still a few good priests in this diocese. for the most part, their names hardly ever appear on this blog.
Yes, I can not agree more, Warsaw. I think this new Pope might make it happen. Both the new Pope and Jesus seem very concerned about priests getting the monsignor title. I think Jesus even spoke about the monsignor title. What was it he said again? I kinda forget.
Warsaw Phil

Saint James, NY

#55364 Apr 7, 2013
Other problematic priests under the Bishop Isidor Borecky, Serge (Brian) Keleher and David Logan. Just ask around, keep your ear to the ground. Keleher had been asked to leave several orthodox and Catholic seminaries, and eventually received ordination as an Orthodox priest under the Russian Patriarchal jurisdiction. He served for a time as parish priest at St. George on Amherst and Nottingham. Eastern Catholic bishops are very reluctant to ordain applicants from the Latin rite. Two cases in point the late George Maloney, SJ and the Archimandrite Joseph (Richard) Lee of the Ukrainian Archeparchy of Philadelphia, Don't believe me, just ask any priest of the Eparchy of Passaic. Or call Father John Levko SJ @ Scranton University.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55365 Apr 7, 2013
Warsaw Phil wrote:
<quoted text> Don't worry. It will close. Ciminelli and Paladino have their eyes on it.
Why should it close if they just got upgraded and got a pastor?
According to this blog that pastor comes at a very high price for doing very little. They must have some money to be able to afford him.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#55366 Apr 7, 2013
anonymous wrote:
Remembering: The second mentioned permanent deacon's mother, probably angry that her son felt Fr. preferred the woman's friendship over his, claimed that he (Fr.) wouldn't be liked by the people if they knew he was going after a married woman.
The woman in question (me), never felt that he was going after her. The deacons elderly mother made that claim. I can't help what other people think or say (I find out), but don't misquote me and say that I said that. I never did!!!
I would like you to know that I have no idea what you are talking about and why.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Tyrone Abdul Carp 21,440
News More Land Acquired for VA Cemetery Mon Ha ha is unemployed 2
Al Sharpton, Boffalos next mayor Mon Bobo Brazil 70
FFS is going out Drinkin Vidka (Nov '10) Feb 18 Duck 167
News Sorry, late-night shoppers: Wegmans no longer o... Feb 17 Olde Erie 24
Idiots walking in the street during snow Feb 17 Buck Rohde 8
Buffalo Sex Club Feb 17 WineMan 16

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages