Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York. Full Story
Rumors

Buffalo, NY

#49691 Aug 18, 2012
St Anthonys. Where are you the most?
Anonymous wrote:
Where is Brandan Y. the most?
Wojtyla

Bellevue, WA

#49692 Aug 18, 2012
Anyone know why Stan's got named the shrine of JP2 instead of Casimir's in Kaisertown?
anonymous

West Milford, NJ

#49693 Aug 18, 2012
Wojtyla wrote:
Anyone know why Stan's got named the shrine of JP2 instead of Casimir's in Kaisertown?
Ultimately, the plan is to close these so called "oratories" and other worship sites. Apparently,the DOB intends to keep St.Stan's open,while closing St. Casimir's. St. Anthony's will eventually be integrated into the Cathedral. Once the Jesuits have to leave St. Michael's,it will be a "worship site" attached to St. Louis.(The youngest Jesuit at St. Michaels is in his 80's. There is a rumor that Canisius College chaplain, John Bucki, will eventually take over.)Blessed Sacrament on Delaware will also merge into St. Louis.(I keep get shifted by Topix from Trenton to West Milford and back. I don't know how or why. I had to look up West Milford on the map .It's in Northern Jersey, and supoosedly has the worst snow fall in the state,just like Buffalo.)
Mary of Magdela

Buffalo, NY

#49694 Aug 18, 2012
Asi asi wrote:
Trenton/WM, you are right about many things and I respect you and your insights. You might've been with Art in the seminary, although I suspect a few years ahead, perhaps?
Anyway Mary of Magdela (it's Magdala btw) seems to lean to the left in matters doctrinal and liturgical so I'm sure that's why she feels so at home with Art's loosey-goosey/all-are-welcome- for-Jesus'-free-inclusive-happ y meal attitudes.
You probably already knew that Artie begins the Mass (yes that he himself is the celebrant!) vested by sitting at the piano and playing his own OCP or GIA showtune. He has horrible ugly moderna vestments and vessels. But those are just the aesthetics however they help to understand him. He's still stuck in the 70's and 80's.
But like other clergy trained and ordained in the period, it's a bunch of crap (to use the vernacular) because he can be very, very nasty and brusque. Quite off putting indeed, actually. He's also acts very narcissistically. He's not the humble, selfless servant he's an entitled clerical megalomaniac. You either love or hate him. MM loves him, others not so much.
<quoted text>
Very sad. You obviously have a prob.
Credo

Buffalo, NY

#49695 Aug 18, 2012
Has anyone read the Credo of the People of God by Paul VI? You should try it sometime.
Anonymous

Orchard Park, NY

#49696 Aug 18, 2012
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Let's see.The first one was a nun with an agenda.The second was fired by the school council because he was grossly incompetent. Everyone else was excellent. You do not know what you are talking about. I happen to know him and your critique is way off.

School councils in the DOB do not have authority to fire...so wherever you are getting your info. you don't know what you are talking about. Probably you were led to believe they had this authority by Fr. Smith because he needed someone else to do his dirty work.

He had wonderful principals at STA School and they were respected by many people. He got rid of anyone who didn't glow and gush over him. He needed the Barb, Stephs and Bernies. He had difficulty with other priests and deacons. He had problems with staff and volunteers. He fought with neighboring priests. His afterthoughts in his bulletin said it all. He ran the parish into the ground financially and drove people from the parish. When he finally left all that was left were the people who either glowed and gushed over him or those who tolerated him. His own family was in the newspaper speaking against him over Rushford so that should tell you a lot.

I believe that Fr. Smith believed he was as you describe him but he didn't take time to look at how others saw him. Sorry that the truth might hurt but it is the truth.
Anonymous

Orchard Park, NY

#49697 Aug 18, 2012
Mary of Magdela wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? Let's see.The first one was a nun with an agenda.The second was fired by the school council because he was grossly incompetent. Everyone else was excellent. You do not know what you are talking about. I happen to know him and your critique is way off.
Barb, if he were incompetent, why did Fr. Smith hire him? Wasn't this evident in the search/interview process? Did you check his credentials, talk to previous employers? Or was he only incompetent when he worked for Father Smith?
Soon and very soon

Buffalo, NY

#49698 Aug 18, 2012
Well Trenton, St. Anthony's is quickly deteriorating and as the longstanding rumor goes Ciminelli has its eye on the property. The Scalabrinians are gone and the JFG said it would merge into the cathedral. Wonder what's taking so long to close the place. I'm sure the Italian community will be just as welcome at the cathedral as the Hispanics at St. Anthony in Lackawanna would be at OLV (note the sarcasm). I don't believe St. Michael's will be kept open if the Jesuits were to leave, what would be the purpose of keeping it open when St. Louis is so close? It's a huge church and must cost a fortune to heat but is the youngest of the mentioned churches and recently restored. Actually the youngest Jesuit there now is in his late 60's or early 70's. Also John Bucki is now rector at LeMoyne. Blessed Sacrament isn't doing too bad and is the most 'neighborhood' of the parishes but is small and who knows what would happen after Bossi retires.
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Ultimately, the plan is to close these so called "oratories" and other worship sites. Apparently,the DOB intends to keep St.Stan's open,while closing St. Casimir's. St. Anthony's will eventually be integrated into the Cathedral. Once the Jesuits have to leave St. Michael's,it will be a "worship site" attached to St. Louis.(The youngest Jesuit at St. Michaels is in his 80's. There is a rumor that Canisius College chaplain, John Bucki, will eventually take over.)Blessed Sacrament on Delaware will also merge into St. Louis.(I keep get shifted by Topix from Trenton to West Milford and back. I don't know how or why. I had to look up West Milford on the map .It's in Northern Jersey, and supoosedly has the worst snow fall in the state,just like Buffalo.)
anonymous

West Milford, NJ

#49699 Aug 19, 2012
Soon and very soon wrote:
Well Trenton, St. Anthony's is quickly deteriorating and as the longstanding rumor goes Ciminelli has its eye on the property. The Scalabrinians are gone and the JFG said it would merge into the cathedral. Wonder what's taking so long to close the place. I'm sure the Italian community will be just as welcome at the cathedral as the Hispanics at St. Anthony in Lackawanna would be at OLV (note the sarcasm). I don't believe St. Michael's will be kept open if the Jesuits were to leave, what would be the purpose of keeping it open when St. Louis is so close? It's a huge church and must cost a fortune to heat but is the youngest of the mentioned churches and recently restored. Actually the youngest Jesuit there now is in his late 60's or early 70's. Also John Bucki is now rector at LeMoyne. Blessed Sacrament isn't doing too bad and is the most 'neighborhood' of the parishes but is small and who knows what would happen after Bossi retires.
<quoted text>
John Bucki is not listed at Lemoyne college at all. My understanding is that he is a spiritual co-adjutor and therefore,under normal circumstances,ineligible to be rector,but some times exceptions are made.(Rector is usually given only to professed fathers,those with the fourth vow. It is not unknown for a spiritual co-adjutor to be given the title,or for a sudden "elevation" to rank of the professed to be made.)
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#49700 Aug 19, 2012
Anono wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what about Fr. Anzelm and his daughter? And what about the poor mother who always looks so sad?
?she done lost her man, dat why she be so sad.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#49701 Aug 19, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Ultimately, the plan is to close these so called "oratories" and other worship sites. Apparently,the DOB intends to keep St.Stan's open,while closing St. Casimir's. St. Anthony's will eventually be integrated into the Cathedral. Once the Jesuits have to leave St. Michael's,it will be a "worship site" attached to St. Louis.(The youngest Jesuit at St. Michaels is in his 80's. There is a rumor that Canisius College chaplain, John Bucki, will eventually take over.)Blessed Sacrament on Delaware will also merge into St. Louis.(I keep get shifted by Topix from Trenton to West Milford and back. I don't know how or why. I had to look up West Milford on the map .It's in Northern Jersey, and supoosedly has the worst snow fall in the state,just like Buffalo.)
According to the St. Casimir's website, they have now been named a "church" rather than an "oratory".????? Have the other oratories also been named "churches". What is the difference?
anonymous

Grand Island, NY

#49702 Aug 19, 2012
Abortion continues to be the biggest source of division between the convents. Some religious orders are working to overturn legalized abortion. They take other positions as well, consistent with Catholic Social Teaching. You have to look hard to find their activity, because the media opposes them. You can find their websites via the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious website. They are getting vocations.
Groups like LCWR and NETWORK support the Peace and Justice Movement, and oppose Catholic Social Teaching. They are both on the opposite side on the issue of abortion from the convents in the Council of Major Superiors of Women Religious. It’s easy to find (favorable) coverage in the media about sisters who are prochoice, because their priorities are same as most of the media. They are not getting vocations. No reporters are asking “why did Mother Theresa’s sisters leave the LCWR?”
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#49703 Aug 19, 2012
I now am SURE that Corpus Christi cares more about beer and party than Eucharist. I could not even stay for the whole Mass today.
WHAT A PITY!
My Little Black Book

Orchard Park, NY

#49704 Aug 19, 2012
What do these men have in common?

Jim Bastian

Anzelm Chalupka

Parry Ciambella

Ray Corbin

Peter Karalus

Paul Nogaro

Art Smith
anonymous

West Milford, NJ

#49705 Aug 19, 2012
My Little Black Book wrote:
What do these men have in common?
Jim Bastian
Anzelm Chalupka
Parry Ciambella
Ray Corbin
Peter Karalus
Paul Nogaro
Art Smith
Tell us. I know some sexual allegations have been made aganist some of these guys. Ciambella is out of the priesthood and married.
Anonymous

United States

#49706 Aug 19, 2012
Soon and very soon wrote:
Well Trenton, St. Anthony's is quickly deteriorating and as the longstanding rumor goes Ciminelli has its eye on the property. The Scalabrinians are gone and the JFG said it would merge into the cathedral. Wonder what's taking so long to close the place. I'm sure the Italian community will be just as welcome at the cathedral as the Hispanics at St. Anthony in Lackawanna would be at OLV (note the sarcasm)... <quoted text>
St. Anthony's? Money will be brought to the Cathedral in a colander and the property sold with money to 795 Main.
Italian people will continue to go their evaevangelical churches or stay home to eat pasta c' lu sugo ...because they are bad Catholics. Latin mass people are waiting for the SSPX return to Rome.
Anonymous

Orchard Park, NY

#49707 Aug 19, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Tell us. I know some sexual allegations have been made aganist some of these guys. Ciambella is out of the priesthood and married.
Ciambella is out of the priesthood and now divorced. I wonder why on both accounts???
thou shalt not steel

Lockport, NY

#49708 Aug 19, 2012
Churches beware of Brendan. He comes acting as a friend and volunteer purer than Mary Immaculate........
he has removed more items from churches in the Buffalo area: Our Lady Help of Christians, St Anne's (why not its listed to close anyway? seems to be his attitude) He was seen filling a box in the sacristy of St Anne's on the day it was announced to close ......... by numerous people
Corpus Christi, perhaps the Cathedral, and his favorite victim would be St Anthony of Padua One priest leaves and a new one arrives giving him ample opportunity to steal.
Priests and parishioners should be made aware him He should never be left alone near the altar, a chalice, communion, vestments or in the sacristy !!!!!!!
Anonymous

Orchard Park, NY

#49709 Aug 19, 2012
thou shalt not steel wrote:
Churches beware of Brendan. He comes acting as a friend and volunteer purer than Mary Immaculate........
he has removed more items from churches in the Buffalo area: Our Lady Help of Christians, St Anne's (why not its listed to close anyway? seems to be his attitude) He was seen filling a box in the sacristy of St Anne's on the day it was announced to close ......... by numerous people
Corpus Christi, perhaps the Cathedral, and his favorite victim would be St Anthony of Padua One priest leaves and a new one arrives giving him ample opportunity to steal.
Priests and parishioners should be made aware him He should never be left alone near the altar, a chalice, communion, vestments or in the sacristy !!!!!!!
A lot from St. Anthony's was stolen but Secondo let him do it while Secondo was moving out.
Anonymous

Buffalo, NY

#49710 Aug 19, 2012
Why don't you ask the current pastor there if anything was stolen? How do you know if anything was stolen? That's a very serious accusation. In fact it's libel if you have no proof.
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
A lot from St. Anthony's was stolen but Secondo let him do it while Secondo was moving out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr williewilliamajr123 19,590
Biggest crybaby complainer snitch? 3 hr sonnybird eats mucus 10
Heard Danielle got married to a guy named Anthony 5 hr Dorothy 2
Bethlehem Steel Action Group heads for Cleveland (Jun '08) 14 hr kbtriathlete123 53
Businesses excited about cars back in Theater D... Sun J Astor 2
southeast works cover-up (Oct '12) Sun Southeast F--- Ups 479
Questioning Cherry Creek Demolition (Mar '08) Sat KKK 446
Buffalo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Buffalo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:09 am PST