Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 61692 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#36219 Jan 7, 2011
Sounds Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
A Bishop who is "Business smart?" No wonder the church went down the drain. A Bishop who is "business smart." That says it all! Looks like "business" is the number one priority! Yep, I could hear Jesus telling a crowd of people that we need our Bishop's to be "business smart." That would be what Jesus would say he wanted in his church.
I agree with you!

We have lost all perception on what the role of a bishop is intended to be. He is not called to be the chief business agent of the diocese, but the chief shepherd or teacher. He is called to teach the Gospel.

I can not think of a recent bishop who has put emphasis on his role as a "teacher" of the faith. Instead, they relate more to the worldly role of a CEO. With this Bishop, I think he is a lazy CEO, who delegates too much to others. He doesn't seem to teach, lead or do much of anything. The only thing one can count on is that he won't be in the office on any Monday.

As for a Polish bishop, I agree that we don't need another Pole or Italian or German or African or what have you. We need a person, a person who possesses qualities that would make him a good bishop. His ethnicity wouldn't really be an issue, as when we focus on such a thing, we show our own prejudice.

If the Gospel became the most important thing we focused on, all the rest would fall in place.
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#36220 Jan 7, 2011
To Be Honest wrote:
<quoted text>
Manselle was business smart as well as a good religious leader. He established the CHS and didnt cause WNY such chaos as this other boob they put a pointy hat on!
Bishop Mansell was a good leader and he was a "religious leader." However, I don't know that he did much to emphasize his role as a "teacher." His homilies were often not related to the Gospel, but a memory show. The memory show usually related to the organization that invited him to an event.

A "teacher" would teach as Jesus taught! He would be putting priority on teaching the Gospel....teaching the faith. While Bishop Mansell could never be criticized for all that he did for Buffalo and as a model of the Gospel, he didn't put too much priority on talking about the Gospel.

Since: Dec 10

South Amboy, NJ

#36221 Jan 7, 2011
How about Fred Voorhees for bishop? Green ink in his veins. Remember who his uncle was.
anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#36222 Jan 7, 2011
warsawfil wrote:
How about Fred Voorhees for bishop? Green ink in his veins. Remember who his uncle was.
Would that mean Marc Pasquale would be in the Chancery? LiPuma wouldn't like that choice! I think most of the Chancery would be swept clean.
Moves

AOL

#36223 Jan 7, 2011
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Would that mean Marc Pasquale would be in the Chancery? LiPuma wouldn't like that choice! I think most of the Chancery would be swept clean.
Lipuma can then move from the mansion to Mariner Place with Monaco!

Fred will never be bishop.

Watch the chancellor. His odds are gaining.
I Disagree

Lancaster, NY

#36224 Jan 7, 2011
Moves wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch the chancellor. His odds are gaining.
Sorry, it doesn't quite work that way. This is not a watch to see who will run for president where the possible candidates are limited. In the case of a Bishop, it could be any one of hundreds of people. And it would be a super slim chance that the pick would be anyone local. Litwin is a nice fellow, but, he is not going anywhere.

Voorhees, Sluebecky, Litwin, LiPuma et al are as far as they will go. For LiPuma, these will be days to look back on and remember when. Once he falls from high heights of office, he will hit the ground so hard, that he will never get over the fall from the demotion. All of his friends, like Bob Cunningham and Ed Kmiec are old with limited days. Once he loses his influence, he will go more unnoticed than Popadick. Others who know him now will quickly forget him.

Since: Dec 10

South Amboy, NJ

#36225 Jan 8, 2011
So the diocese again needs money. Surely they got some from the sale of all those properties. What did they do with it all? This might be time for some concerned lay Catholics in the diocese to set up a diocesan escrow fund. Kmiec, you'll get the money, when we get some transparency, esp. on finances and sex abuse. I realize that what I have proposed is absolute heresy. I might go further if I denied the Trinity or Incarnation. And I suggest that most people are just too apathetic to undertake the effort. Anyone got any better ideas?
Process

AOL

#36226 Jan 8, 2011
I Disagree wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, it doesn't quite work that way. This is not a watch to see who will run for president where the possible candidates are limited. In the case of a Bishop, it could be any one of hundreds of people. And it would be a super slim chance that the pick would be anyone local. Litwin is a nice fellow, but, he is not going anywhere.
Voorhees, Sluebecky, Litwin, LiPuma et al are as far as they will go. For LiPuma, these will be days to look back on and remember when. Once he falls from high heights of office, he will hit the ground so hard, that he will never get over the fall from the demotion. All of his friends, like Bob Cunningham and Ed Kmiec are old with limited days. Once he loses his influence, he will go more unnoticed than Popadick. Others who know him now will quickly forget him.
I know full well the process and the political influence imvolved the process of the selection of bishops.

Litwin is a front runner as far as the province goes. He is well connected and has avoided tarnish. He is a home-grown boy who, bets are, could fix the ruin Kmiec, LiPuma, et al have effected. He has not made enemies as has LiPuma with his arrogant attitude.

LiPuma is the bishop's choice for the high hat. His golden boy, LiPuma stands as a sterling Ordinary for what is left of the diocese as far a Kmiec goes. You can be CERTAIN that Kmiec has raised LiPuma's name as his choice for successor.

All that said, Grosz is a laughingstock. Never will he do more than, like the Infant of Prague, don a crown and an outfit and be decor, albeit if only he were as silent as the little Lord statuette.

Finally, Rome has a way of leaking info regarding choices and names submitted. Listening carefully to the chatter coming from the girls in monsignor robes, two names do surface: Litwin and the bishop's darling: LiPuma.
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#36227 Jan 8, 2011
warsawfil wrote:
So the diocese again needs money. Surely they got some from the sale of all those properties. What did they do with it all? This might be time for some concerned lay Catholics in the diocese to set up a diocesan escrow fund. Kmiec, you'll get the money, when we get some transparency, esp. on finances and sex abuse. I realize that what I have proposed is absolute heresy. I might go further if I denied the Trinity or Incarnation. And I suggest that most people are just too apathetic to undertake the effort. Anyone got any better ideas?
Yes, I do!

Get over your Catholicism! It's done, it's over, it's gone down the drain. Mostly, what remains is the residue which with time will too eventually evaporate. Yes, there will always be pockets of water in different places, but that's all it will ever be. What has past has past.
AnonAmus

Lancaster, NY

#36228 Jan 8, 2011
Lavern wrote:
<quoted text>
No, No, No! He loves me more than anyone because I can buy him anything in the world. Anything he wants is his because I can give him anything. He doesn't need anyone else when he has me to be his special friend. He doesn't need a cook because I will treat him to dinner at Salvatore's. I will pick out clothes for him to wear and buy them for him. I will buy him hats like mine for him to wear when we go out to dinner. We will have our picture taken together for the next cake I order. I will pay for him to take music lessons or to learn how to play the organ because I know he needs both. I will even buy him his own church with an organ where I will be his only parishioner. He can play the organ for me there too! And I will purrr and tell him how good he plays even if I have to lie to him.
I thought he was Dunkirk's man or doesn't he like Dunkirk. Maybe it's the new I.P. he doesn't like or because she isn't in the Ampol.
The Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#36229 Jan 8, 2011
I think if Fr. David could do it all over again, he would put in a bid for Dunkirk. But it's too late, we have a pastor now and Fr. Nycz is working very hard for the parish. He has a gigantic mess to clean up from the previous pastor. Fortunately, for us, he is not lazy or dysfunctional like his predecessor Krysa. I am working on something for the Am Pol that hopefully will appear soon. It has nothing to do with church or the diocese, thankfully.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#36230 Jan 8, 2011
warsawfil wrote:
Nostradamus says: It will not be the nephew of the late Bp. Benecasa. There are bigger and more quieter fish swimming around without any baggage behind them and who have not been poked at on this blog. According to the prophecy it will in fact be one who is a doctor or moral theology, hailing from the congregation of catholic education in Rome and of German blood. You can take that to the bank.
Mike

Springville, NY

#36231 Jan 9, 2011
Another point wrote:
<quoted text>
Where was the Diocese when something like this was happening? Surely this was not an isolated event that they were not aware of in his way of living his life. They could have sought help for him to work out his problem.
What I notice from the blogs is that some priests are out there who want something else. Some want drink, some fame, some attention, some want money. Still others, as in the sexual problem cases, want sex with children or men or God knows what or who. They must be ordained with the problems as I don't believe for a minute these just started. Were there supervisors in the seminary who should have noticed some of the problems?
On occasion, Monsignor Berg would come to our parish. Our pastor would sometimes be on leave. When it was time for him to give his homily, he pulled out his newspaper. He started reading some of the headlines. One headline he read about was about gay people. I don't remember what the article was about. Monsignor Berg said that the stand of the Church on gays was wrong and he called either the Cardinal's or Bishop's "damn fools." I'll never forget that! When I asked him about it he said that a guy had to be a fool to be a Bishop. I explained that I didn't have anything against a person because he was gay and he told me he never heard a gay person say anything bad against me either. I thought that was an unusual statement.
The Dunkirk Connection

Springville, NY

#36232 Jan 9, 2011
The Dunkirk Connection wrote:
I think if Fr. David could do it all over again, he would put in a bid for Dunkirk. But it's too late, we have a pastor now and Fr. Nycz is working very hard for the parish. He has a gigantic mess to clean up from the previous pastor. Fortunately, for us, he is not lazy or dysfunctional like his predecessor Krysa. I am working on something for the Am Pol that hopefully will appear soon. It has nothing to do with church or the diocese, thankfully.
If I were to believe some of you scumbags who pose as me, my IP would change daily. My IP is Dunkirk, it has always been Dunkirk and I doubt it will ever be anything other than Dunkirk. While some of you have tried to copy my writing style, I think my readers know who I am. I seldom have reason to come onto this blog because there really is no reason any longer. Bishop Kmiec has listened to what I had to say, and Dunkirk has been saved from the wrecking ball that I believe would have been it's fate. Bishop Kmiec did what needed to be done with a lot of parishes that needed to be closed, but he realized that the people of Dunkirk could sustain their parishes. He listened to what I had to say about our illustrious former pastor and sent him away to Southdown to get the needed help. Hopefully, he has overcome Momma and Soldier Boy, but I doubt it. God spare anyone who should have to encounter him. As for the blog, like as in other things in my life, I may show up from time to time, but I really feel I have contributed all that I could and I beleive I have accomplished something for Dunkirk. I never had anything against Bishop Kmiec, but as for his secretary..........that is a whole other story. As for Father David, he probably would wish that he had taken my advice and come to Dunkirk. Considering all that I hear, I'd have to say that the people here would need to learn more about some issues before they would have taken him.
anonymous

Silver Creek, NY

#36233 Jan 9, 2011
A West Seneca couple now living in Fla. have spoken out about the merging of their parish. There have been two articles published that have pointed out the distruction and the pain caused by the mergers. It stated that two parishes that, together could have brought over two thousand families, now has under a thousand registered. Another parish had no more that a hundred families register in the same parish and that their ministries will never be brought back to life in the remaining parishes. Also, that the agenda for the mergers was to benefit the administration not the parishioners. There were many disturbing facts, that had they been brought to light would have caused the Diocese to listen to the parishioners.
The Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#36234 Jan 9, 2011
<quoted text>
If I were to believe some of you scumbags who pose as me, my IP would change daily. My IP is Dunkirk, it has always been Dunkirk and I doubt it will ever be anything other than Dunkirk. While some of you have tried to copy my writing style, I think my readers know who I am. I seldom have reason to come onto this blog because there really is no reason any longer. Bishop Kmiec has listened to what I had to say, and Dunkirk has been saved from the wrecking ball that I believe would have been it's fate. Bishop Kmiec did what needed to be done with a lot of parishes that needed to be closed, but he realized that the people of Dunkirk could sustain their parishes. He listened to what I had to say about our illustrious former pastor and sent him away to Southdown to get the needed help. Hopefully, he has overcome Momma and Soldier Boy, but I doubt it. God spare anyone who should have to encounter him. As for the blog, like as in other things in my life, I may show up from time to time, but I really feel I have contributed all that I could and I beleive I have accomplished something for Dunkirk. I never had anything against Bishop Kmiec, but as for his secretary..........that is a whole other story. As for Father David, he probably would wish that he had taken my advice and come to Dunkirk. Considering all that I hear, I'd have to say that the people here would need to learn more about some issues before they would have taken him.
This actually is quite a good impersonation of me with just a few oopsies. For instance,Krysa called his father as soldier-daddy not soldier-boy. My IP used to be Dunkirk then somehow changed to Buffalo. After we got a new computer, it went from Lockport back to Buffalo to Depew. I can't even tell you what the IP will be on this one, but people who know me know I have info about Krysa that only the REAL Dunkirk Connection could have. Also, I have not, nor will I ever, question Fr. David Bialkowski's integrity. I have never known him to be anything but a gentleman and a priest's priest. So any insinuations about him are coming from an imposter. I monitor this blog every day and chime in when I have something of interest to add.
The Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#36235 Jan 9, 2011
Oh, besides referring to his father as soldier-daddy, Krysa also called him daddy-bricklayer. But then again, lots of men in their 50s talk this way, right? During one creepy homily, he imitated his father's broken English saying, "Wat you want for Chreestmas? If I no buy you sometheeng, dey will say I'm cheap." Krysa then began talking in a high pitched child's voice, "That's okay, daddy. I don't need anything. Just celebrating Christmas as a family is all I want." Hey, Dunkirk IP, do you remember that sermon? It turned my stomach to hear a grown man talking that way.But that was Krysa for you, always talking about himself and his life with MAMA and Soldier Daddy.
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#36236 Jan 9, 2011
<quoted text>
There are so many Dunkirk Connection posters and each IP is very convincing! I can't tell which one is which anymore. I read one and then I think this is the right one. Then I read another with a different IP and I think the same. I guess, I'll have to assume that if a Dunkirk IP is in existence, as I can see, then that must actually be her. No offense to any of the others because I found all of you to be interesting. I'll read them all!!!
The Dunkirk Connection

Dunkirk, NY

#36237 Jan 9, 2011
You're wrong. I am the real Dunkirk Connection. I feel as if I'm on a modern day version of "To Tell The Truth. If you take the time, you can go way back and see when my IP actually was Dunkirk how I always defended Fr.David and that never changed. Then go see how a more recent post with a Dunkirk IP pretending to be me trashed Fr. David. Sorry I don't know what page it's on but I immediately answered that fraud. IPs change, there is no rhyme or reason to it. Don't be suckered in by that. If you don't recognize my writing style by now, you never will.
About Ted Berg

Eden, NY

#36238 Jan 9, 2011
I knew him, he could be funny,he was a good host on Shrove Tuesday, he didn't care for the Chancery personnel, he wasn't afraid of people in the Chancery. Those were things I liked about him.

He would drink excessively, along with Bigelow would mock other priests, could be offensive and/or indecent in his remarks to people, had his nose in the air when he was with his political cronies. Those were things I didn't like about him.

About wearing a dress, I did see him do that at a party, however, he was drinking when he did it. In fairness, I don't know if it went any deeper. He is deceased, so, I'm sure it is no longer an issue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Concert tonight by "Kurt's Back" (Apr '08) 4 hr Expat Tonawandan 643
Buffalo NY - Attn Adoptees and Birth Parents an... (Nov '13) 6 hr Joan 11
News Harvard student says a man called him a - f***i... 14 hr Buck Rohde 8
Do some black women dress like prostitutes? 21 hr lol 12
What's the best Kristmast Carrols you grew up w... Thu Buck Rohde 5
Joseph Sigman Thu his sister 1
Jason sigmon Thu his sister 1

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance