Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish...

Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY

There are 63494 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Oct 14, 2007, titled Buffalo Diocese Announces More Parish Closings Across WNY. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The Diocese of Buffalo's "Journey of Faith and Grace" has led to the closings of more parishes across Western New York.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

The Dunkirk Connection

Niagara Falls, NY

#35349 Oct 22, 2010
Chronicle wrote:
I am a parishioner at Fourteen Holy Helpers. I am wondering if there is any news or gossip on who we will be getting as the new pastor?
BREAKING NEWS!!!Father David Bellittiere will be the new pastor at 14 Holy Helpers come Nov. 6. He is currently the pastor at Holy Trinity Church in Dunkirk. This is not rumor. This comes right from David himself.
Dunkirk

Buffalo, NY

#35350 Oct 23, 2010
The Dunkirk Connection wrote:
<quoted text>
BREAKING NEWS!!!Father David Bellittiere will be the new pastor at 14 Holy Helpers come Nov. 6. He is currently the pastor at Holy Trinity Church in Dunkirk. This is not rumor. This comes right from David himself.
Now who will go to Dunkirk?
Polish Fan

AOL

#35351 Oct 23, 2010
<quoted text>
now the question is...is that a good thing or a bad thing for 14? What kind of priest is he? Did you like him? Young or Old? Did he request to go there or was he appointed?
Frank

Rochester, NY

#35352 Oct 23, 2010
Poblocka wrote:
The sign in front of Josephats is absurd. No watered down faith here. So he sets himself up as better than other parishes and clergy? More Catholic? That sign says more about his own demons than about what kind of message is served up from his pulpit.
\\

FR.Rick rules...He had a wonderful homily last Sun. about the diocese.I hope he can have a one on one meeting with the bishop.and get some answers. By the way we have a wonderful parish at St. Josaphats come and visit some Sun.
Listened to Fr. Corapi. Quotes from him. "A priest has a male friend very innocent , people say he's gay, a female friend very innocent , that's his mistress, shows friendship to a young person , tries to help the young person with some problems , he's labled a pedophile, a bishop or priest goes to Fl. for vacation, he's visiting a nude camp". Go figure this sick society. Any wonder why this world is so screwed up. We seem to judge all the bishops and priests by the mistakes of a few bad ones. Wake Up People!
Say what

AOL

#35353 Oct 23, 2010
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>\\
FR.Rick rules...He had a wonderful homily last Sun. about the diocese.I hope he can have a one on one meeting with the bishop.and get some answers. By the way we have a wonderful parish at St. Josaphats come and visit some Sun.
Listened to Fr. Corapi. Quotes from him. "A priest has a male friend very innocent , people say he's gay, a female friend very innocent , that's his mistress, shows friendship to a young person , tries to help the young person with some problems , he's labled a pedophile, a bishop or priest goes to Fl. for vacation, he's visiting a nude camp". Go figure this sick society. Any wonder why this world is so screwed up. We seem to judge all the bishops and priests by the mistakes of a few bad ones. Wake Up People!
What did he say about the diocese and the bishop in the homily?
Anonymous

Lancaster, NY

#35354 Oct 24, 2010
Frank wrote:
<quoted text>\\
You are so right!!

The same is true of an IMPOVERISHED BLACK MALE!!

If someone hears an alarm going off and sees an impoverished black male running from the area of the alarm they automatically suspect the poor black male.

If a elderly white woman is having a physical altercation with a young black male we automatically suspect it is the young black male who is in the wrong.

If an impoverished black male should wander onto our property or into our garage we immediately become suspicious of him.

I don't know why anyone would suspect impoverished black males of committing such crimes and I don't know why anyone would accuse a priest of God of the things that Frank mentioned.

Kudos to Corapi and Frank for the excellent logic!!
gerry

Lancaster, NY

#35355 Oct 24, 2010
In my old job, we often would see strange (not having to do with our business) cars pull into our parking lot. These cars would drive to a secluded part of this parking lot and we would observe always the same guy hand the person in the car a package and in turn collect money. We thought that perhaps this was drug activity, but, after hearing what has been written....perhaps we reached that conclusion based on bias. I don't think people do that intentionally,but, we hear so many bad things happening that we just put ourselves on the alert.
Sugar

Lancaster, NY

#35356 Oct 24, 2010
St Jude Shrine wrote:
<quoted text>
Talked to Edwin Kaukus. He will have available copies of the SJG bulletin as of Saturday afternoon at his newstand on Delaware and Hertel. It will cost you a dollar each. Proceeds are for the St. Jude Shrine.
Sugar Mama doesn't want anyone to know the truth.
The Dunkirk Connection

Niagara Falls, NY

#35357 Oct 24, 2010
Dunkirk wrote:
<quoted text>
Now who will go to Dunkirk?
A priest who wants to knock off some purgatory time in the next six years.
The Dunkirk Connection

Niagara Falls, NY

#35358 Oct 24, 2010
Polish Fan wrote:
<quoted text>now the question is...is that a good thing or a bad thing for 14? What kind of priest is he? Did you like him? Young or Old? Did he request to go there or was he appointed?
As I said before, first you have to get past the high-pitched voice. That being said, I would say more of his parishioners liked him than didn't. Was always there for the sick and dying and a favorite with the funeral directors for his flexibility. He's in his 40s, good homilies and good rapport with people. Heads-up - he was behind the big mega church movement in this community which Bill Parks and I successfully squashed AND he did take in the orphan Krysa and give him a place to stay other than the 2 Polish rectories he already had. Make out of that what you will.
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#35359 Oct 25, 2010
<quoted text>
As I said before, first you have to get past the high-pitched voice. That being said, I would say more of his parishioners liked him than didn't. Was always there for the sick and dying and a favorite with the funeral directors for his flexibility. He's in his 40s, good homilies and good rapport with people. Heads-up - he was behind the big mega church movement in this community which Bill Parks and I successfully squashed AND he did take in the orphan Krysa and give him a place to stay other than the 2 Polish rectories he already had. Make out of that what you will.
As well as carefully considering the bias of the poster.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#35360 Oct 25, 2010
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess it already happened. I heard they will be passing out Queen of Marytr's bulletin for the time being. It's just like Barnabas.
Is it confirmed that Gualberts will merge with Queen of Martyrs? Have not been able to find a news artucle on the subject. Has a date been given on the merger?
Question

Buffalo, NY

#35361 Oct 25, 2010
bum buddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it confirmed that Gualberts will merge with Queen of Martyrs? Have not been able to find a news artucle on the subject. Has a date been given on the merger?
Will both sites remain open?
concerned parishoner

Hamburg, NY

#35362 Oct 25, 2010
I am tired of hearing about extravagant renovations to church buildings and extensive fundraising campaigns to beautify a building. I understand that properties need to be maintained and certain expenses are necessary but in this economy I doubt 90% of what is being done at buildings like St. Stans or SJG are considered necessary. St. Stans installation of what is essentially a giant STAGE in front of the original altar is disgusting. For the past several years at St. John Gualbert virtually every bulletin has a campaign for funding of structural changes. I would propose that in this difficult time that parishes could reach humanity better if they were to minister to the people rather than the building. Focus should be on helping people through difficult economic times instead of shoving parish wealth in the faces of the many struggling parishoners. Can a man or woman who are out of work and cannot feed their family understand the URGENT NEED to fund a pipe organ restoration that is upwards of 30,000.00? Can they understand the URGENT NEED to have new tile flooring in an entry way when they are facing foreclosure on their own homes. I myself have been financially blessed and still cringe when I see this. Start a soup kitchen, a food pantry, a support group etc for parishoners! Get in touch with the needs of the real world and honor God and man in this way.
On DOB website

Buffalo, NY

#35363 Oct 25, 2010
Rev. David A. Bellittiere has been appointed Pastor of Fourteen Holy Helpers Parish, West Seneca NY, for a term of six years. Effective November 5, 2010.
On DOB

Buffalo, NY

#35364 Oct 25, 2010
concerned parishoner wrote:
I am tired of hearing about extravagant renovations to church buildings and extensive fundraising campaigns to beautify a building. I understand that properties need to be maintained and certain expenses are necessary but in this economy I doubt 90% of what is being done at buildings like St. Stans or SJG are considered necessary. St. Stans installation of what is essentially a giant STAGE in front of the original altar is disgusting. For the past several years at St. John Gualbert virtually every bulletin has a campaign for funding of structural changes. I would propose that in this difficult time that parishes could reach humanity better if they were to minister to the people rather than the building. Focus should be on helping people through difficult economic times instead of shoving parish wealth in the faces of the many struggling parishoners. Can a man or woman who are out of work and cannot feed their family understand the URGENT NEED to fund a pipe organ restoration that is upwards of 30,000.00? Can they understand the URGENT NEED to have new tile flooring in an entry way when they are facing foreclosure on their own homes. I myself have been financially blessed and still cringe when I see this. Start a soup kitchen, a food pantry, a support group etc for parishoners! Get in touch with the needs of the real world and honor God and man in this way.
This has been a lament since day two on this blog. Grosz was the worse offender. Bialkowski is not far behind. The concept of ministry is foreign to them and making their properties lavish is essential to their own needs. In the middle of ghettos they build palaces. Jesus must weep. The diocese is no better. A fund drive that every parish must participate in unless they have had a major fund raiser in the past 3 years. In this economy it is an affront to the people. It is also a real slap n the face to the intelligence of the parishioners who have had no say in their parishes and were victims of the politics of the ones who waited since Head to do the destruction. They had to do it quickly and with little real planning becauser they needed to do it before this bishop got sick, retired or died. No other bishop would allow this. True, some parishes had to close but the process was a farce and flawed. St. Stan's has no parishioners that attend, or should I say, very few. Yet they could spend multi millions on renovations and gaudy reuin to an historic property. Close it; use the same criterea as used on other parishes. Politics and ego are dictating the changes. Lockport is a sterling example. A vibrant parish that anyone in their right mind would keep open. No priests? Then why did they tell Mock to get a job because there was no job for him? Why are priests in other jobs if there are not enough priests to keep parishes open. Further, canon law states that a lack of priests is never the reason to close a parish. Yet, Kmiec doesn't like other models of ministry. The entire thing is sickening.
PNCC

Buffalo, NY

#35365 Oct 25, 2010
Why be concerned about parishes you don't even belong to or have contributed to financially? Join the PNCC. We have a Finance Committee that runs our cathedral parish. They have all responsibility to make repairs and renovations. We're in the midst of a building project right now and parishioners give what they want and when they want. We are a democratic Catholic Church. Leave all your anger and bitterness behind and become one of us!
Anon

Buffalo, NY

#35366 Oct 25, 2010
bum buddy wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything is supposed to be announced very shortly - supposedly some time in the month of November. It's real hush hush. Klein doesn't want it because he has two hospitals and a large suburban parish. He supposedly wants it closed. There are rumblings that even Josaphat's and Andrew's will be affected. Regina has to have everything in place before the bishop retires in the summer. With a new man at the helm, she will be powerless. This bish is trying to get Rome to move fast on Adalbert's so he can close it once and for all before he retires. The diocese ordered SJG bulletin to be taken off the internet so that people outside the parish would be clueless. The only way to find out is now to go there and watch and listen!!!
Really

Buffalo, NY

#35367 Oct 25, 2010
Is it true that a substantial offer was already quietly made to purchase the entire complex because the property has been so meticulously maintained and nothing has been neglected?
Destructo

Buffalo, NY

#35368 Oct 25, 2010
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything is supposed to be announced very shortly - supposedly some time in the month of November. It's real hush hush. Klein doesn't want it because he has two hospitals and a large suburban parish. He supposedly wants it closed. There are rumblings that even Josaphat's and Andrew's will be affected. Regina has to have everything in place before the bishop retires in the summer. With a new man at the helm, she will be powerless. This bish is trying to get Rome to move fast on Adalbert's so he can close it once and for all before he retires. The diocese ordered SJG bulletin to be taken off the internet so that people outside the parish would be clueless. The only way to find out is now to go there and watch and listen!!!
Destructo is at it again - making sure ALL Polish parishes are closed. Her dreams will then be fulfilled and she can retire in peace. BTW, when is she retiring?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News NYC Anchor Bar runs out of wings on Day 2 6 min RachelsGonnaRach 1
russ brandon 1 hr DaTruth 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Maryann 21,698
News WIVB-TV News4 Buffalo, NY |Contract for Depew r... (May '08) 3 hr Brian 138
Belmont management apartments (Oct '17) 3 hr Willie Joe 20
News Young mother, seeking a new life, wants happy h... (Dec '11) 16 hr abdellina hassan 99
News College Connections program benefits students (Mar '14) May 19 School 2

Buffalo Jobs

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages