Owner of Well-Known Billy Ogden's Pas...

Owner of Well-Known Billy Ogden's Passes Away

There are 100 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Sep 27, 2007, titled Owner of Well-Known Billy Ogden's Passes Away. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

The founder of Billy Ogden's restaurant has died. Andy DiVincenzo opened the well-known Buffalo restaurant in 1989.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

Jim from Lancaster

East Hampton, CT

#25 May 6, 2009
Get Reel wrote:
Rich Fontana bought the place and is reopening it.
I noticed they had taken down the boards on the windows last week...and someone was sprucing it up...which led to believe someone was doing something with the place. Any chance they'll bring back Andy's Menu? especially his stuffed peppers???????? the pork chops !?!
Get Reel

Buffalo, NY

#26 May 6, 2009
I dont know about the menu yet. Havent heard much about it. But those stuffed peppers were the best werent they?
Jim from Lancaster

East Hampton, CT

#27 May 6, 2009
Get Reel wrote:
I dont know about the menu yet. Havent heard much about it. But those stuffed peppers were the best werent they?
Some places I've gone to have come close...but its not the same.
Excuse my ignorance but who is Rich Fontana?
Get Reel

Buffalo, NY

#28 May 6, 2009
Jim from Lancaster wrote:
<quoted text> Some places I've gone to have come close...but its not the same.
Excuse my ignorance but who is Rich Fontana?
Rich Fontana is one of Buffalo's Councilmen. Grew up in Lovejoy a few blocks from Billy's still lives there with his wife and kids. His father, I think..dont hold me to this owns a picnic grove, a banquet hall, and another restaurant in Buffalo
Jim from Lancaster

East Hampton, CT

#29 May 6, 2009
If he grew up a little way from BO's..one can only hope that he will attempt to retain the uniqueness (sp) of what BO was all about. Maybe similar to how Buffalo Roadhouse did. OR he may do a 180 and put in his own type of place.
Time will tell ...Either way, its good that someone is putting life back into it. That place was one of the places we enjoyed going to. Its what made Buffalo different than other places.
Get Reel

Buffalo, NY

#30 May 6, 2009
If he grew up a little way from BO's..one can only hope that he will attempt to retain the uniqueness (sp) of what BO was all about. Maybe similar to how Buffalo Roadhouse did. OR he may do a 180 and put in his own type of place.
Time will tell ...Either way, its good that someone is putting life back into it. That place was one of the places we enjoyed going to. Its what made Buffalo different than other places.
my favorite were the stuffed peppers and those little roasted garlic clove things he did...LOL I cant remember what they were called. But hopefully the building will come back to life.
Get Reel

Buffalo, NY

#31 May 6, 2009
Updated: 03/23/09 08:13 AM
Fontana to reopen popular Lovejoy restaurant
By Brian Meyer

For years, food lovers flocked to Billy Ogden’s in the Lovejoy neighborhood to chow down toasty foccacia and tasty fish.

They were filling up the joint at William and Ogden streets even a few years after chef/owner Andy DiVincenzo died unexpectedly. But the family closed the popular restaurant two years ago.

“It has been boarded up and obviously hasn’t been living up to its potential,” said Lovejoy Council Member Richard A. Fontana, who lives four streets away.

Fontana, a former restaurateur whose family has been in the business for more than 35 years, decided to go to an auction last month where the building was on the selling block. Fontana bid on the property, but someone else offered a higher price.

The deal fell through, though, and Fontana said his $40,000 bid was recently accepted. He and his wife, Dolores, hope to reopen the restaurant by early this summer after some extensive repairs are made.

“It was in my neighborhood, and I saw it as a chance to do something unique and nice,” said Fontana.

No final decisions have been made about the restaurant’s menu or even its name. It won’t be open every day; Fontana said the initial focus will be on catering parties and banquets.

But one thing’s for sure, said Fontana — the new place will be open for Friday fish fries. At some point, he said, the building might be leased to another restaurant operator.

The lawmaker was formerly part-owner of Fontana’s Restaurant on Clinton Street. He closed the business in the late 1990s, within a year after he was elected to the Council.

Fontana serves as the Council’s majority leader and also heads its powerful Budget Committee. Will his new enterprise force him to cut back on his governmental activities?

“In no way will it diminish my role in City Hall,” he replied.

Council members make $52,000 a year, plus additional stipends if they hold leadership posts or head committees. There’s nothing that prohibits city lawmakers from having other jobs, as long as they list their business interests on ethics disclosure forms that must be submitted annually. Over the years, some Council members have owned businesses, operated law practices and been involved in other ventures.

[email protected]
inside info

Grand Island, NY

#32 May 6, 2009
Richard Fontana is planning on leasing the building to Brian Davis to re-create One Sunset.

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/637358....
LOL

United States

#33 May 6, 2009
inside info wrote:
Richard Fontana is planning on leasing the building to Brian Davis to re-create One Sunset.
http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/637358....
i thought this was serious for a minute. gl with that place though, i used to love billy ogdens hope he keeps a very similar menu.
Jim from Lancaster

East Hampton, CT

#34 May 6, 2009
funny guy...
Jim from Lancaster

East Hampton, CT

#35 May 6, 2009
Get Reel wrote:
Updated: 03/23/09 08:13 AM
Fontana to reopen popular Lovejoy restaurant
By Brian Meyer
For years, food lovers flocked to Billy Ogden’s in the Lovejoy neighborhood to chow down toasty foccacia and tasty fish.
They were filling up the joint at William and Ogden streets even a few years after chef/owner Andy DiVincenzo died unexpectedly. But the family closed the popular restaurant two years ago.
“It has been boarded up and obviously hasn’t been living up to its potential,” said Lovejoy Council Member Richard A. Fontana, who lives four streets away.
Fontana, a former restaurateur whose family has been in the business for more than 35 years, decided to go to an auction last month where the building was on the selling block. Fontana bid on the property, but someone else offered a higher price.
The deal fell through, though, and Fontana said his $40,000 bid was recently accepted. He and his wife, Dolores, hope to reopen the restaurant by early this summer after some extensive repairs are made.
“It was in my neighborhood, and I saw it as a chance to do something unique and nice,” said Fontana.
No final decisions have been made about the restaurant’s menu or even its name. It won’t be open every day; Fontana said the initial focus will be on catering parties and banquets.
But one thing’s for sure, said Fontana — the new place will be open for Friday fish fries. At some point, he said, the building might be leased to another restaurant operator.
The lawmaker was formerly part-owner of Fontana’s Restaurant on Clinton Street. He closed the business in the late 1990s, within a year after he was elected to the Council.
Fontana serves as the Council’s majority leader and also heads its powerful Budget Committee. Will his new enterprise force him to cut back on his governmental activities?
“In no way will it diminish my role in City Hall,” he replied.
Council members make $52,000 a year, plus additional stipends if they hold leadership posts or head committees. There’s nothing that prohibits city lawmakers from having other jobs, as long as they list their business interests on ethics disclosure forms that must be submitted annually. Over the years, some Council members have owned businesses, operated law practices and been involved in other ventures.
[email protected]
Banquets and Catering ...Friday fish fries for the public. Ok.. Fontana isn't going to do anything fancy. The place does need alot of work.
At least its a start.
Get Reel

Buffalo, NY

#36 May 6, 2009
<quoted text>
Banquets and Catering ...Friday fish fries for the public. Ok.. Fontana isn't going to do anything fancy. The place does need alot of work.
At least its a start.
It will be interesting to see what happens. I miss the place. Used to go there often.
Jim from Lancaster

East Hampton, CT

#37 May 6, 2009
Sea Bass and the Pistachio Porkchops were the best. There were times we had to wait 45 minutes or so.. but it went fast at the bar and worth the wait. G'luck to the Fontana's!!!
Get Reel

Buffalo, NY

#38 May 6, 2009
pistachio porkchops :0)
Jim from Lancaster

East Hampton, CT

#39 May 7, 2009
Get Reel wrote:
pistachio porkchops :0)
to quote Jerry Seinfeld..
THEY'RE THE BEST JERRY! THE BEST!! lol
Robert

Grand Island, NY

#40 May 7, 2009
When did Billy Ogden die?
Jim from Lancaster

East Hampton, CT

#41 May 7, 2009
The founder of Billy Ogden's restaurant has died. Andy DiVincenzo opened the well-known Buffalo restaurant in 1989.

He was also known within the community for his philanthropic work. Divincenzo died at his Buffalo home in 2002. He was just 52-years-old. He leaves behind a wife and two daughters.

Billy Ogden was the name of the restaurant because of its location. Corner of William and Ogden streets..hence Billy Ogden. FYI.
Robert

Grand Island, NY

#42 May 7, 2009
It's a good thing the restaurant wasn't at the corner of Ashland Ave. and Whole Street!
Lisa

East Hampton, CT

#43 Jun 4, 2009
Any news on when this place is to re-open? I drive by it frequently and notice that its being worked on.
just lookin

Hamburg, NY

#44 Jun 4, 2009
<quoted text>to quote Jerry Seinfeld..
THEY'RE THE BEST JERRY! THE BEST!! lol
hahahahahaha good one

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 23 min Whippin post 20,197
Buffalo: Fecal City 2 hr Micky Doorag 13
Buffalo Is Among The Worst Cities In America 2 hr Homeboynot 7
Cruz is a dumb bozo 3 hr Matt Kruse 1
Ken Ton School cover-up (Aug '10) 3 hr Kenmore Resident 239
Poor Cruz 3 hr Buck Rohde 1
OMG!!!!!! Aunt Jemima on the $20 bill 4 hr Zeke the Pinhead 14
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages