Anyone has experience with Pawn Shops?

Anyone has experience with Pawn Shops?

Posted in the Buffalo Forum

Just Me

Washington, DC

#1 Feb 9, 2013
Hi Buffalo forum!

I have never done this before but I'm looking pawn a watch I have. It's worth about $2,000 new and I know I won't get anything near that.

Does anyone know the approximate fees I will be looking at? Also would I be paying NY sales tax when picking up?

Just trying to figure out if it's worth it?
Lifeeeeee Coachhhhhhhhhhh

Chesapeake, VA

#2 Feb 9, 2013
Put the watch on ebay or Craig's list and you will get more for it

I deal with pawn shops all the time, buying, selling and trading guitars, amps, and guitar effects. I have gotten some pretty good deals.

This is how it works with guitars and amps- Some guy thinks he wants to learn to play guitar, so he runs out and buys a guitar and amp new. He pays about $350 for the guitar and about $250 for the amp. He takes a few lessons and he gives up. He goes to the pawn shop. He gets 50 bucks for the amp and 30 bucks for the amp.

The pawn shop sells the guitar for $150 and the amp for $150. Nice profit.

Pawn shops also buy and sell a bunch of stolen stuff. Things like jewelry are hard to identify, so it is rare that the they lose money because the cops recover the stolen stuff. Same thing for other stuff because people rarely record their serial numbers
Just Me

Washington, DC

#3 Feb 9, 2013
Your right,

I also want to get it back though. I will be picking it up in like 2 weeks.

Would I pay NY sales tax when I pick it up? If I get let's $500, paying an extra $40 in addition to the fees makes no sense to me :/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
You slept with me 1st day we met 1 hr MatterOfNot 3
New to topix. Looking for friends 1 hr MatterOfNot 8
News Tier economy: Only Puerto Rico worse 7 hr ConklincoIt 2
The New york scratch off 12 hr victum 104
News 12-Year-Old Charged for Wetting Pants (Dec '07) 12 hr MatterOfNot 24
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 15 hr Mother Mcreeeeee 20,096
NEW! Kingsmen MC Top Ten List! MUST READ! (Nov '08) Wed rjnag 126
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages