8 College Degrees with the Worst Retu...

8 College Degrees with the Worst Return on Investment

Posted in the Buffalo Forum

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#1 Sep 4, 2013
8 Sociology

People who enter the field of sociology generally are interested in helping their fellow man. Unfortunately, that kind of benevolence doesn't usually translate to wealth. Here are three jobs commonly held by sociology majors (click on job title and/or salary for more info):

SOCIAL WORKER
Median Salary:$47,121
30-Year Earnings:$2,779,195
ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 73%
ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 21%

CORRECTIONS OFFICER
Median Salary:$39,630
30-Year Earnings:$2,337,376
ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 61%
ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 18%

CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY COUNSELOR
Median Salary:$47,210
30-Year Earnings:$2,784,444
ROI of Degree Earner Attending Public College: 73%
ROI of Degree Earner Attending Private College: 21%

http://www.salary.com/8-college-degrees-with-...

Location hidden

#3 Sep 4, 2013
Lacrosse Coachhh wrote:
<quoted text>
Tbird is on vacation and posting from Florida under fake names, so I will answer for him
Tbird would say " Or a big fat stupid drunk that just starts trouble..."
I was making just under $75,000 when I retired from a job that was not listed. The job was only loosely related to the field of Sociology.
I do the Sociology thing as a sideline, being compensated by Federal Research Grants. Last tax year, I made $46,814 in federal research grants, but I spent all but $41 of that reporting people to the webmaster
So in other words you wasted your education! Luckily for you the government paid for it.
Lance Boyles

Germany

#4 Sep 4, 2013
Two words........chump change

Location hidden

#6 Sep 4, 2013
Lacrosse Coachhh wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and no
My undergrad major was broad and "interdisciplinary" covering history, sociology, law, philosophy, psychology, literature,urban studies, etc.
This "liberal arts" education was not "education" and not just "training". Training teaches you only how do do something, but usually not WHY you are doing it.
I think if my career was merely the training without the education, I would have been much less ethical and efficient and falsely over-confident in the whats and whys. I would have blindly followed unethical "leaders" which would have better advanced my carrer.
But at least I can look at myself in the mirror and sleep at night
Ethics and morals are taught early in life and for the most part in the home. Respect is earned not automatically given.

Maybe you can look at yourself in a mirror and sleep just dandy but I'm sure many on this forum have a different opinion of your personal ethics and morals.

But to each their own I guess....whatever floats your boat. Word!

Location hidden

#9 Sep 4, 2013
Lacrosse Coachh wrote:
And as far as the opinions of Internet posters about my ethics and morals I don't. Care
Did you know that the Internet is not reality?
Then why do you spend so much of your so called intellectual ventures on it???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Al Sharpton, Boffalos next mayor 8 hr Skinny Naab 10
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 15 hr china stein 21,337
Poll why does buffalo suck? (Nov '08) Nov 17 Saywhen 66
If Buffalo were to get a new name, What would i... Nov 17 Lief 18
Only homosexuals call themselves "Lief Coach" Nov 16 reply 4
lawyers to fight CPS (Mar '11) Nov 15 Princess0879 24
anyone know mark yourdon (Feb '12) Nov 15 Jbeam 42

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages