nope but i have a real sharp chain saw ready to take all trees out
Zod

Brooklyn, NY

#25 Jul 1, 2013
Marc Mann smokes crack in the park
pat

West Hartford, CT

#26 Aug 31, 2013
Some of these comments are just rediculous. I have played chestnut ridge many times. I am not a hippie nor do I drink or smoke weed while playing. The game is very relaxing and great exercise. If people want the hippies to pay for frolf there then I feel like anyone walking in the park should also have to pay why target one group of people using one small part of this giant park. I have had many people walk through the course while playing and always just wait for them to move they are welcome to use the park just like I am. Sorry that a couple of you had some bad experiences with some jerks there but we are not all tree huggers that play there and for you to judge everyone because you had one bad experience is pretty shortsighted.
Lief Coach

United States

#27 Sep 1, 2013
I thought "Eternal Flame" was a gay thing.
nfourwheeler7

North Tonawanda, NY

#28 Sep 1, 2013
Lief Coach wrote:
I thought "Eternal Flame" was a gay thing.
It is.
That's where I cruise for chicken meat.
Kristin

Buffalo, NY

#29 Jul 21, 2014
I'm out there a lot and would love to see what you people are talking about? This sport is huge down south!! Dirty hippies?!? I saw a church group out playing the other day!! In fact the only people I've seen besides weekends using the park are disc golf players. You mean to tell me not not one person gets drunk while playing regular golf? Hahaha you would be amazed to see who is out there playing besides "dirty hippies". Dorks? Go tell that to the two buffalo bills I saw playing a few times!! Sounds like you haters are the losers !
Kristin

Buffalo, NY

#30 Jul 21, 2014
Cutting trees down? The ridge is one of the most difficult courses in the country because of the trees. The course was built around the trees for a reason!
Buffalo LIEF

United States

#31 Jul 22, 2014
So you can't see the course for the trees?
RobA

Buffalo, NY

#33 Dec 31, 2014
This was the right decision. This is the first time I have heard of disc golf course designers trying to impose their will on the general public. Typically disc golf courses are located in areas of parks that are not being utilized by anyone else, just ask the folks in the Rochester Area. I agree that disc golf is generally a low- impact activity, but in this case the impact would have been on the general enjoyment of this area by non- golfers. There are plenty of other areas of the park that are suitable for disc golf, and they would not interfere with others ability to utilize and enjoy the park. Golfers are not entitled to place courses wherever they wish, especially when it is a public, not private, area. I am very surprised that this was approved in the first place. Just my two cents

Since: Jan 15

Buffalo, NY

#34 Jan 17, 2015
Old post but here's some quick facts on the local disc golf courses:
-All county courses (Como, Chestnut, Emery, Ellicott) funds were raised by the local club (Niagara Region Disc Golf) and disc golfers ($50k+) and the courses were installed/designed by the club/volunteers.
-The local club runs a league night once a week (costs $10-12) that goes to pay out at the end of the night and year. A portion ($1) goes to cover for insurance ($600/yr.) and a permit every week for the course to be closed for league night. The league night also gives a chance for players who actually care about the course a chance to clean it up prior and during league night. The club brings in around $500/yr. which goes back into the courses for improvements and repairs...not a lot to maintain 4 courses.
-Though I do neither, I won't deny the drinking and smoking attraction to the sport but its not any worst than any other sport such as bowling, ball golf or any other outdoor activities.
-The Eternal Flame course was approved thru the Collins Admin. as well as the Chestnut Ridge Conservancy before the course was installed or any work began. 6 months of course work goes by without anyone noticing or caring about the amount of work going in until a week before the course is officially in. UB student complains and suddenly gets the Conservancy to oppose the course after the newly appointed Poloncarz Admin. is in. Conservancy then threatens to sue the county which is decides to side with Conservancy to avoid any legal matters. Course is then pulled after a month after being installed.
The Conservancy also at one time stopped a group of golfers from cleaning up the course since they were not part of the conservancy and would have to pay a membership fee to be allowed to pick up garbage in the park. Now how ass backwards is that?
Sum things up:
Thank the local club for actually having courses installed locally instead of bitching about them being on one of the courses 1 night of the week that they raised the money for and installed for locals to play for free.
Trash on the ground? Do your part and pick some up instead of complaining. You get to play the courses for free, spend a few minutes cleaning it up. Would you rather spend $5-10 to play around or 5-10 minutes picking up some trash?
Ask the county parks to place garbage cans throughout the courses. Wouldn't hurt if the county had someone spend an hour out of the day picking up trash on the course instead of sitting in the office or NOT cutting the grass. How often do you see park employees actually working?
I hope this gets some facts straight and clears thing up if anyone cares. Note, I am not affiliated with the local club. I am just an avid local disc golfer who would like to see the local scene and courses get positive recognition.
Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Pastor Pooles 19,729
is Nalina Shapiro fat? (Dec '12) 8 hr Bkbuff 71
Free at Free at Last, Thank Topix we are free a... 12 hr Kinky Fiebelkorn 3
24th Anniversary of the John Justice murders in... (Sep '09) 15 hr scott 34
All Liberals Are Sociopaths (Jun '13) 16 hr Seriously 118
first-degree kidnapping TONAWANDA (Feb '11) Sun ryan 14
News NT awards contract for signal at Nash, Meadow Sun stosh 2
Buffalo Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Buffalo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance