Man Arraigned in Connection With Drag...

Man Arraigned in Connection With Drag Racing Deaths

There are 308 comments on the WGRZ Buffalo story from Jun 10, 2008, titled Man Arraigned in Connection With Drag Racing Deaths. In it, WGRZ Buffalo reports that:

A 21-year-old man from Lancaster has been arraigned on 2 counts of manslaughter and 2 counts of criminally negligent homicide in connection with a drag race in May that left two people dead.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WGRZ Buffalo.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
GOD

Lockport, NY

#1 Jun 10, 2008
It's sad they died, but how is this kid responsible for their deaths. If you ask me it was their own choice which led to their deaths well the driver of the mustang anyway. how do we know they were drag racing...maybe just driving fast and the mustang thought he needed to drive faster then the defendant which led to his death.speeding ticket yes..manslaughter noway.
this is insane

Buffalo, NY

#2 Jun 10, 2008
GOD wrote:
It's sad they died, but how is this kid responsible for their deaths. If you ask me it was their own choice which led to their deaths well the driver of the mustang anyway. how do we know they were drag racing...maybe just driving fast and the mustang thought he needed to drive faster then the defendant which led to his death.speeding ticket yes..manslaughter noway.
I agree with you..how is this young man resonsible for their deaths? The couple who died did this willingly. They are the ones that drove 100 mph. It is ridiculous.
Lockport

Buffalo, NY

#3 Jun 10, 2008
Sorry for the losses, but IT WAS HIS CHOICE TO DRAG RACE. Why are they convicting someone else of this because he was doing the same thing? The guy was 24, I think he knew better.
funny guy

Lewiston, ME

#4 Jun 10, 2008
ITS a case of screw the innocent coddle the guilty thats the weay most NY state is but its bigtime in ERIE COUNTY
billy

Ellicott City, MD

#5 Jun 10, 2008
^ agree to all of the above.

illegal speed contest? Yes. Speeding? Yes. Manslaughter? no.

If somebody kills themselves willingly (suicide) do we charge any bystanders with manslaughter?
NURSE

Hamburg, NY

#6 Jun 10, 2008
i'm really sorry for the lose these parents experienced but it takes two to tango and no one forced either one of these kids to race. i would never convict on manslaughter, speeding, inappropriate use of a motor vehicle maybe, not manslaughter.
William

Buffalo, NY

#7 Jun 10, 2008
I don't think this guy had a L O N G enough leg to be pressing down the accellerator pedal of the deceased car. Sorry for the loss, but we have to stop this "somebody must pay' mentality. Take responsibility for youe OWN actions.(marshawn lynch too)
yeaaa

Olean, NY

#8 Jun 10, 2008
agree with all of the above. he wasnt behind the wheel of the mustang. unless he hit them or ran them off the road then these are rediculous charges.
king of op

Buffalo, NY

#9 Jun 10, 2008
this is not right . he didn't make the driver of the mustang to race at gun point , did he ? nope . he made a choice , a very bad one . it's a terrible loss for the family but this is not justice . this kid is being made into the scapegoat . "blame everyone else but the person responsible" is what america has come to . i feel bad for all involved in this tragedy but this is wrong .
Very Confused

AOL

#10 Jun 10, 2008
Was this on a camera to verify he forced the other driver to drag race?????? Yes, he may have been guilty of drag racing but he did not force the other driver to push foot to the pedal and drag with him. Also, it was very unfortunate that they perished that night. This was not road rage so what is this world coming too. Please is this just for the mighty big buck.
Really- u ever race

Jamestown, NY

#11 Jun 10, 2008
Having been a teen once as we all were- and did my share of street racing. I do not see the logic in charging the other driver!!! That is ludacris! His actions were of his own free will-if you want to blame someone- balme the auto dealer he purchased the car from 2 days prior- who's to say there wasn't a malfunction- sounds crazy doesn't it- just about as crazy as placing blame on the poor kid- who will have to live with that the rest of his life!
Motherof2

Buffalo, NY

#12 Jun 10, 2008
I feel very badly for both families of the kids that died. This is probably one of the worst accidents I have ever seen. However, no one forced the driver of the mustang to race. The cars didnt touch - the kid facing the charges didnt run him off the road and cause the accident. I dont see how they can charge him with anything other than street racing. It just makes no sense to me.
Jennifer

Buffalo, NY

#13 Jun 10, 2008
GOD wrote:
I completely agree with you. I don't understand how this kid can be prosecuted for manslaughter when Mr. Harhigh CHOSE on his own to allegedly drag race. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? If they want charge this guy for drag racing, fine. Although even that is questionable if there were no witnesses to the drag race. I am sorry that two people died. I feel terrible for their families; burying a child is surely one of the worst things a parent would ever have to go through. But it was Harhigh's OWN carelessness that put him and his girlfriend in the grave much too early, not this guy.
Average Jane

Utica, NY

#14 Jun 10, 2008
I agree with the above posts. This is a sad story and the other driver should be facing reckless driving charges, but I don't see (based on the info from the story) how he is responsible for their deaths.
angry

Lewiston, ME

#15 Jun 10, 2008
does the D.A. have nothing better to do ?
Its a very sad thing that those two young people died, but nobody held a gun to the drivers head to make him race , if anything he is at fault for his passengers dead.
Dee

Buffalo, NY

#16 Jun 10, 2008
I can not believe Christopher is being charged with this! The death of Mark & Melanie is tragic. But Mark knew better & he chose to endanger Melanie when he pushed that accelerator down. Yes, Christopher should get reckless driving, speeding... that's it. But why manslaughter and criminally negligent homicide? Mark was driving the car & would have been charged with killing Melanie...Oh, but wait, he died too, so let's blame Christopher?? Do people always need someone else to blame for their own behavior. My heart breaks for both families now. The parents of Mark & Melanie need to come forward & let the public know they are against these charges. I am sure in their hearts they know Mark was a big-boy & clearly made his own decisions at 24 yr's old. Let's put blame where blame is due.
Mo Money

Henrietta, NY

#17 Jun 10, 2008
Here we go again, How much is this going to cost the tax payers? Hundred's of thousands, have to raise taxes again! Don't get me wrong, I do have a heart and this is a very serious and sad situation for all parties involved. Is this our brilliant DA Frank Clark thinking that this is a case of Manslaughter"? I sure can't wait till he retires. I can not stand listening to him being interview on the local news channels. Like everyone stated above, I believe that both parties should be charged with "speeding", "reckless endangerment" but not "manslaughter".
Timmuh

Buffalo, NY

#19 Jun 10, 2008
According to the Buffalo News, this guy has had a prior arrest for racing and part of the condition of his plea was that he would stop racing.
If he knew he could get in serous trouble for racing again, he shouldn't have done it.
I do agree that unless he directly caused the crash (ie. bumped him), he should lose his license but not be charged with a felony.
This exaserbates the already sad story. Another future ruined because of a street race.
Looks like they're making an example out of him so others will think twice before racing.
T from Buffalo

United States

#20 Jun 10, 2008
....another example of the continually declining level of personal responsibility that exists in this country. I'm fat - must be Burger King's fault, I got drunk and beat somebody up - must be Budweiser's fault....it's a terrible accident but the person most responsible for the deaths was tragically one of them.
Joe G

AOL

#21 Jun 10, 2008
This is ridiculous...Frank Clark can't retire soon enough!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay Skype Fun (Aug '15) 16 hr Tyjames5515 32
Philip Litten 19 hr lori 2
Do asians think all white people look alike?? (Feb '09) Tue Lin Kim 162
Only homosexual men study Library Science Tue Larry Brown 35
Is Buffalo A Racist City? Tue lol 25
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jul 17 observer 20,964
Left-Handers and Rh Negative, Connection ??? (Feb '12) Jul 17 Melanie 4

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages