Tom Dudzick 's play "Miracle on South...

Tom Dudzick 's play "Miracle on South Division Street" at the Kavinoky

Posted in the Buffalo Forum

John Cimasi

Hamburg, NY

#1 Nov 16, 2013
For those of you who haven't yet purchased your tickets to the Kavinoky theater to see Tom Dudzick 's play "Miracle on South Division Street", I recommend that you do it as quickly as possible before the seats are all sold.

There is a stellar cast. Of special note is Ellen Horst an exquisite actress that has graced Buffalo and national stages for many years. Soaking in the potpourri of her nuanced performance is an experience worth well beyond the price of admission.

The remaining cast sets an engaging tapestry that portrays this little slice of a Buffalo family's life with authenticity and comic tenderness.

If you haven't ever seen Tom's theater work before (stretching back to the seventies), you will be amazed and so proud that this man is one of us, born, bred and nurtured in Buffalo.

The writing is simply a work of genius - comedic yes (you will laugh until you cry - and you will cry) but a discerning look at inter- ethnic attitudes that have existed in this country since it's inception and remain today. But, there is no hate in this play. On the contrary, the issues, including inter personal and inter family ones are handled with love - even tenderness that will, I promise, bring you from a full tilt belly laugh to tears in a millisecond.

I call this ability for a playwright to jerk an entire audience from unbridled mirth to thoughtful sadness in the space of a sentence, "a turnaround". I don't know what others call this ability, but Tom produces this remarkable emotional wrenching seemingly with the greatest of ease and effect. I saw it first in his work "Over the Tavern".

More than any other playwright I've read or produced over the years, Tom's genius for telling a story that sucks you up on the stage into his characters' milieu is unparalleled in modern times.

Least those of you that don't know this amazing person might think that the word "genius" is over the top consider that this renaissance man, aside from being a uber-successful playwright is an equally impressive visual artist, musician/composer, and comedic actor.

Those of us who have followed his career over the decades have stood in awe at his talent. Buffalo folks have good reason to be proud of him - he has more than "made it".
DBuff51

New York, NY

#2 Nov 30, 2013
Wow! What an entertaining play! It was by-far, the Most satisfying play I have ever seen!( And we are season ticket-holders for 3 area theatres!!)"Miracle On South Division Street" was extremely well-written, well-acted out, and well-directed! Through the comedy, it entirely encompassed every emotion imaginable. It's hard to believe it was one-act, walked away from it feeling totally elated, a bit nostalgic, and just happier for seeing it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr JackArmStrong 20,383
Do black lives really matter? 16 hr Buck Rohde 17
Life Coach does 100 pushups in 2 minutes Thu sister Pendulous ... 3
News Close up tour of Hoyt Lake (Aug '08) Thu Reader 29
Tom Jolls Sister ? (Sep '08) Thu Reader 2
Friday Fun at Talk of the Town (Aug '08) Jul 20 John 39
News Buffalo's Best Strip Joints (Nov '09) Jul 20 Barry Buncy 26

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages