Verizon vs. Time Warner Cable

Posted in the Buffalo Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nightmare

AOL

#1 Aug 6, 2008
I finally have decided to get high speed internet and just would like to know which one is better for the money? May go with bundle. Any help would be appreciated.
Croc Hunter

Purchase, NY

#2 Aug 6, 2008
Time Warner. Verizon is a jip.
Wise Old Owl

Rochester, NY

#3 Aug 6, 2008
Buy your own cable modem and go with Roadrunner Lite - less than $20.00/month.
NY taxpayer

Lees Summit, MO

#4 Aug 6, 2008
I highly recommend Time Warner. They install it all for you and show you how to get started. Their customer service is excellent. I know people who have verizon fios and stated the high speed is great but the customer service sucks. And the price is about the same.
verizon

Ellsworth, ME

#5 Aug 6, 2008
FIOS!
Dude

Buffalo, NY

#6 Aug 6, 2008
It depends.....bundling it with other services such as TV, phone service, wireless phone, etc. from that provider will save you money.

And depending on what you want to do on-line, anything at a speed faster than 1.5 Mbps is a rip off if all you want to do is surf the Web and check Email.
goTWC

Liverpool, NY

#7 Aug 7, 2008
Dude is right, packages are the way to go. It saves you so much money and with TWC there are no sircharges. PLUS there customer service call center is in Cheektowaga (local!) Here are just the Road Runner prices:
Road Runner Lite -$19.95/mo
Road Runner Basic -$29.95/mo
Road Runner Standard w/ Leased Modem -$44.95/mo
Road Runner Standard w/ customer owned modem -$41.95/mo
Road Runner Turbo -$54.90/mo
The Customer Service Number is 1-866-668-6044
Dude

Buffalo, NY

#8 Aug 7, 2008
Wise Old Owl wrote:
Buy your own cable modem and go with Roadrunner Lite - less than $20.00/month.
The speed is too slow to wireless it in your house. Verizon has a faster speed for the same price.
goTWC

Liverpool, NY

#9 Aug 7, 2008
The speed actually depends more on the modem you are using. And what prices are you refering to? For comparable service from Verizon you'd be paying $24.95. And TWC also offers 4 levels of High Speed Packages where as Verison has only 2.
Dude

Buffalo, NY

#10 Aug 8, 2008
goTWC wrote:
The speed actually depends more on the modem you are using. And what prices are you refering to? For comparable service from Verizon you'd be paying $24.95. And TWC also offers 4 levels of High Speed Packages where as Verison has only 2.
Verzion has two -- they used to have 3 with one at 1.5 Mbps which is the same as the basic RoadRunner (not Roadrunner Lite).

http://www22.verizon.com/content/consumerdsl/...

The base price for the 786 Kbps is $19.99 -- it's the introductory offer but if you call them and ask, they'll keep signing you up at that price after the 1 year period. You also get some leverage if you bundle it.

I'm not advocating one over the other. I have DSL and love it, others have RoadRunner and love it.
grump

Lewiston, ME

#11 Aug 8, 2008
I have roadrunner BEEP BEEP move over lol Its so fast I cant keep up with it in my jet lol It changes pages so fast ya gotta be a speed readers speedreader lol just get any if you dont like it move beep beep
Wise Old Owl

Rochester, NY

#12 Aug 8, 2008
Make sure that Verizon DSL is offered in your neighborhood. There are many area's in WNY that can not get DSL service. I had a Verizon technician inform me that I will be waiting a very long time before my neighborhood gets DSL service. Verizon is very tight lipped about posting their coverage maps for DSL and FIOS. You would be amazed at how few of us can get these services from Verizon.
Croc Hunter

Purchase, NY

#13 Aug 8, 2008
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
The speed is too slow to wireless it in your house. Verizon has a faster speed for the same price.

If you mean the price is $40 per month.... retard.

“Live and let live!”

Since: May 08

Buffalo NY

#14 Aug 8, 2008
I have Verizon Bundle, and pay about $95.00 a month for DSL, phone (Unlimited Long Distance) and Direct TV. I have had Time Warner and I don't like it.
ERIKAinBLO

Liverpool, NY

#15 Aug 8, 2008
I love TWC, its so fast and the customer service is excellent!
yep

Orrington, ME

#16 Aug 9, 2008
there seems to be a direct relationship between how much slower my road runner is getting and how fast my goes up!
yep

Orrington, ME

#17 Aug 9, 2008
sorry meant to say how fast my bill goes up
joe

Buffalo, NY

#18 Aug 9, 2008
Time Warner pays their employees below the industry standard. They contract their work out so they prevent payment into NY State unemployment insurance and Workmans compensation insurance to name a few and that burden falls on the taxpayer and other Corporations in the State that invest in their workforce and their Community.

If Time Warner wants to compete with thye BIG BOYS why dont they support a wage and benefit package that meets the standard. If they dont care about their employess and their employess rights in the workplace Do they really care about the customer
Granddragon

AOL

#19 Aug 9, 2008
joe wrote:
Time Warner pays their employees below the industry standard. They contract their work out so they prevent payment into NY State unemployment insurance and Workmans compensation insurance to name a few and that burden falls on the taxpayer and other Corporations in the State that invest in their workforce and their Community.
If Time Warner wants to compete with thye BIG BOYS why dont they support a wage and benefit package that meets the standard. If they dont care about their employess and their employess rights in the workplace Do they really care about the customer
They dont have to work there..they can go work somewhere else.
joe

Buffalo, NY

#20 Aug 10, 2008
Granddragon wrote:
<quoted text>They dont have to work there..they can go work somewhere else.
Their skilled employees deserve the industry standard in respect to wages and benefits. A defined pension plan, health care, and the ability to protect their standard of living. Instead they get sub standard compensation from a corporation that claims to be a leader in the industry and makes billions in profit. Why does Time Warner hire so many contractors...and claim they support the community ....Why..so they dont have to pay into ny state unemployment insurance, workmans compensation and the like. That burden falls on the taxpayer and the Corporations that do the right thing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump President? Couldnt even buy the Bills 2 hr Trump said its Ri... 1
Trump's father-in-law is hardcore Communist 2 hr Dont let facts ge... 3
Abluntrumphater 8 hr punK 37
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 14 hr Well Well 20,775
Alleged Mafia Activity in Buffalo, Niagara Fall... (Mar '16) 19 hr The TRUMP of Trolls 75
Would Buffalo really improve if there were less... (Feb '16) Fri TheTruth 19
Do some black women dress like prostitutes? Fri TheTruth 22

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages