On Martha's Vineyard, a stark look at...

On Martha's Vineyard, a stark look at income inequality

There are 282 comments on the The Washington Post story from Aug 17, 2013, titled On Martha's Vineyard, a stark look at income inequality. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

Once a month, on a street of picture-perfect clapboard houses, white picket fences and fluttering American flags, families gather in this wealthy Massachusetts enclave for a lifeline.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Lance Boyles

Germany

#283 Dec 9, 2013
hambone sez wrote:
<quoted text>I piked cotton,hoed cotton, thinned corn ,pulled corn, chopped wood ,starting about the age of 10,and im neary 70 and still working.But I never took a handout frum nobody.
Then let me reiterate.... Respect.
Wondering

Booneville, MS

#284 Dec 9, 2013
Look everybody.We all can't be rich,and we all can't be poor,cause somebody has to pay the taxes.There has always been inequality,and there will always be inequality.Everybody can't lay around and smoke dope and swill beer and rely on somebody else to take care of them.Yeah,I know there are a lot of people that are really not able to work,and I am not talking about them.However there a lot that have never worked(whole generations of them),and those are the ones that I am talking about.When we get the Republicans back in office maybe this mess will get better.Just hang in there ,and it will be 2016 before you know it.

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

#285 Dec 9, 2013
Wondering wrote:
Look everybody.We all can't be rich,and we all can't be poor,cause somebody has to pay the taxes.There has always been inequality,and there will always be inequality.Everybody can't lay around and smoke dope and swill beer and rely on somebody else to take care of them.Yeah,I know there are a lot of people that are really not able to work,and I am not talking about them.However there a lot that have never worked(whole generations of them),and those are the ones that I am talking about.When we get the Republicans back in office maybe this mess will get better.Just hang in there ,and it will be 2016 before you know it.
what is it you think the republicans will do about those people? why haven't they done it before when they were the majority?
Wondering

Booneville, MS

#286 Dec 9, 2013
The Democrats are always talking about redistribution of wealth,and the Republicans don't.Enough for my vote.I want to keep what I have worked hard for all my life.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#287 Dec 9, 2013
Wondering wrote:
The Democrats are always talking about redistribution of wealth,and the Republicans don't.Enough for my vote.I want to keep what I have worked hard for all my life.
Those Bush/Cheney no-bid contracts in Iraq...weren't they republican redistribution of wealth?.....Maybe you are more worried about...who get's it.....

St. Croix valley

#288 Dec 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Those Bush/Cheney no-bid contracts in Iraq...weren't they republican redistribution of wealth?.....Maybe you are more worried about...who get's it.....
do you know many companies that have the resources to do that stuff? would you want to trust the security of our troops and diplomats to unknown entities?

there are many no bid contracts in gov't as they need to go with proven companies, not unknown entities.

if we hire Bob's live bait and fuel supply company and they couldn't get fuel from kuwait to Baghdad with their three rusty trucks, we got some serious problems...
Wondering

Booneville, MS

#289 Dec 9, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Those Bush/Cheney no-bid contracts in Iraq...weren't they republican redistribution of wealth?.....Maybe you are more worried about...who get's it.....
Yeah,but they take the money and hire more workers and plow the money back into the system.The Democrats want to give it to people that only spend it on drugs and booze,get high have wrecks and end up in the emergency room,which the taxpayers have to pay for.

Location hidden

#290 Dec 10, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah,but they take the money and hire more workers and plow the money back into the system.The Democrats want to give it to people that only spend it on drugs and booze,get high have wrecks and end up in the emergency room,which the taxpayers have to pay for.
...Yeah but...Yeah but...Yeah but.........

Location hidden

#291 Dec 10, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah,but they take the money and hire more workers and plow the money back into the system.The Democrats want to give it to people that only spend it on drugs and booze,get high have wrecks and end up in the emergency room,which the taxpayers have to pay for.
If you actually think, that Democrats really stand for that......politics is the least of your problems.....
Wondering

Booneville, MS

#292 Dec 10, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> If you actually think, that Democrats really stand for that......politics is the least of your problems.....
Look around,debt nearly doubled with Obama,we got Obamacare,which is a disaster,and morals have gone out the window.
Progressive Ha Ha Ha

AOL

#293 Dec 10, 2013
Yep. Lots of filthy rich CA far lefties in Bel Air and Hillsborough too.

St. Croix valley

#294 Dec 10, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>Look around,debt nearly doubled with Obama,we got Obamacare,which is a disaster,and morals have gone out the window.
how do you know obamacare is a disaster if it hasn't been fully implemented yet?

your objectivity is lacking.

Location hidden

#295 Dec 10, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>Look around,debt nearly doubled with Obama,we got Obamacare,which is a disaster,and morals have gone out the window.
CEO'S MORE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT ECONOMIC FUTURE.....AP(12-6-13) Washington - A survey of chief executives at the largest U.S. companies shows a growing number are optimistic about the economy's prospects for the next six months and expect to boost hiring....The Business Roundtable says it's index measuring CEO confidence rose to 84.5 in the October-December quarter. That's up from 79.1 in the July-September quarter....The group is an association of chief executives at the 20 largest U.S. companies.Any reading above 50 suggests expansion....The survey noted that 34 percent of the executives expect that their companies will increase hiring in the next six months, up from 32 percent in the previous survey....
Wondering

Booneville, MS

#296 Dec 10, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>how do you know obamacare is a disaster if it hasn't been fully implemented yet?
your objectivity is lacking.
It's already a desaster.
Wondering

Booneville, MS

#297 Dec 10, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> CEO'S MORE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT ECONOMIC FUTURE.....AP(12-6-13) Washington - A survey of chief executives at the largest U.S. companies shows a growing number are optimistic about the economy's prospects for the next six months and expect to boost hiring....The Business Roundtable says it's index measuring CEO confidence rose to 84.5 in the October-December quarter. That's up from 79.1 in the July-September quarter....The group is an association of chief executives at the 20 largest U.S. companies.Any reading above 50 suggests expansion....The survey noted that 34 percent of the executives expect that their companies will increase hiring in the next six months, up from 32 percent in the previous survey....
Expect.

Location hidden

#298 Dec 11, 2013
...Housing starts climb to a Six Month HIGH......

St. Croix valley

#299 Dec 11, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>It's already a desaster.
again, how would you know this since it hasn't been implemeted?

wanna cracker, pretty bird?
Wondering

Booneville, MS

#300 Dec 14, 2013
woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>again, how would you know this since it hasn't been implemeted?
wanna cracker, pretty bird?
Just you wait and see.

St. Croix valley

#301 Dec 14, 2013
Wondering wrote:
<quoted text>Just you wait and see.
your predictive powers have been proven to be very weak.

i told you many times the tide was moving only one way on the SSM issue , you said it couldn't happen that states would vote to make it legal...
chyeah!...

face it, here you got caught out making a stupid statement, and now you are just trying to cover with your very poor prognostication skills, as you really don't know what is going on in the real world...

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#302 Dec 16, 2013
Corporations in America have $2 trillion in the bank and they refuse to spend it.

With a smaller work force, corporations have found that their profit margins are off the charts.

CORPORATIONS ARE NOT BRINGING THE JOBS BACK THAT THEY ELIMINATED IN THE RECESSION AND CONGRESS IS HAPPY TO SIT BACK AND BLAME THE PRESIDENT AND OBAMACARE FOR EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH THE ECONOMY.

And yet, every tax paying American pays $4,000 per year on corporate subsidies.

Stop blaming the poor.
Stop blaming the Mexicans.
Stop blaming the rich.

Blame Congress that is now owned by Corporate America and has become beholden to them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Ann kukelski 20,610
News Best places for breakfast in Buffalo: 5 WNY pla... (Dec '15) 10 hr Kilhoffer Street ... 4
Why do cullerd women repeat themselves 5x? 14 hr Your Name Here 6
Why do blacks have so many babies? Sun frilled2b 3
Whereabouts? Sun Kohlrabi 1
News Why Charlotte Reacted to Shooting with Protests Sun lol 4
Buffalo: Planet of the Apes (Oct '15) Sep 24 Getwithit 8

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages