On Martha's Vineyard, a stark look at income inequality

Aug 17, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Washington Post

Once a month, on a street of picture-perfect clapboard houses, white picket fences and fluttering American flags, families gather in this wealthy Massachusetts enclave for a lifeline.

Comments
201 - 220 of 282 Comments Last updated Dec 17, 2013
super steve

Denver, CO

#221 Aug 22, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately for what's left of the GOP, too many American's know that Bush/Cheney were responsible for so much harm....then, even making it worse, was watching pinhead House republicans smile, as they stalled our economic recovery and dropped the Treasury's credit rating....it means, the GOP could be outta the White House for 16-24 years.....
wrong as usual, dumbo:

by Thomas J. DiLorenzo

The thousands of mortgage defaults and foreclosures in the "subprime" housing market (i.e., mortgage holders with poor credit ratings) is the direct result of thirty years of government policy that has forced banks to make bad loans to un-creditworthy borrowers. The policy in question is the 1977 Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), which compels banks to make loans to low-income borrowers and in what the supporters of the Act call "communities of color" that they might not otherwise make based on purely economic criteria.

The original lobbyists for the CRA were the hardcore leftists who supported the Carter administration and were often rewarded for their support with government grants and programs like the CRA that they benefited from. These included various "neighborhood organizations," as they like to call themselves, such as "ACORN" (Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now). These organizations claim that over $1 trillion in CRA loans have been made, although no one seems to know the magnitude with much certainty. A U.S. Senate Banking Committee staffer told me about ten years ago that at least $100 billion in such loans had been made in the first twenty years of the Act.

So-called "community groups" like ACORN benefit themselves from the CRA through a process that sounds like legalized extortion. The CRA is enforced by four federal government bureaucracies: the Fed, the Comptroller of the Currency, the Office of Thrift Supervision, and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. The law is set up so that any bank merger, branch expansion, or new branch creation can be postponed or prohibited by any of these four bureaucracies if a CRA "protest" is issued by a "community group." This can cost banks great sums of money, and the "community groups" understand this perfectly well. It is their leverage. They use this leverage to get the banks to give them millions of dollars as well as promising to make a certain amount of bad loans in their communities.
super steve

Denver, CO

#222 Aug 22, 2013
Responsibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Those pesky guns we folks like to hug and use.
A telling comment about how the Australia (and the world) sees our gun culture and gun violence -
But for many Australians gun violence and America will always be synonymous no matter how out of character it may be in a particular town or county.
Avoiding the real issue, typical liberal. I've had a gun for decades, never once felt like going out and shooting a stranger, white or black. Of course I don't partake in the rap/thug culture.
super steve

Denver, CO

#223 Aug 22, 2013
x0x0x wrote:
<quoted text>Imbecile, Clinton promised during his campaign that he and Al Gore would reign in spending and cut the waste in D.C.
They did just that and yes, they did work with Congress and as a result, Clinton was one of the most successful Presidents in modern American history. He left office with a surplus and Bush, well, he led us into the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression as a result of his continued deregulation of the banks, two unfunded wars and his stupid tax rebates.
Clinton is ranked 15th whilst Bush 43 is ranked 37th out of 43 Presidents. Quite telling isn't it? I can see why you are so quick to squash Clinton's success in comparison to the moron who took over in 2001 and ran the country into the ground.
Dumbass, clinton benefited from the dotcom boom, it wasn't anything he or big oil Al did, gawd you're ignorant.
super steve

Denver, CO

#224 Aug 22, 2013
x0x0x wrote:
<quoted text>Yes he was a tool.
Some lost everything, however, companies like Amazon, google, FB, Microsoft, Apple, and on and on and on are huge success stories and all because the Clinton administration had the foresight to see the internet's potential.
Bush cleared brush, f-ed up the middle east, and drove our economy into the ground. yee haw and yuck yuck. You must be so proud.
47 million on food stamps and Obamaphones for the lazy and worthless, you and Ostupida must be so proud.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Since: Aug 07

Location hidden

#225 Aug 23, 2013
super steve wrote:
<quoted text>
Moron, the democrat authored mortgage meltdown is the cause of where we're at today, wise up.
Remember 9/11 dumbass? GWB had to deal with it and Ostupida is still using the patriot act, isn't he?
"Moron? Dumbass"?
Try to use your big boy words, zippy.

I remember that 17 of the 19 terrorists on 9/11 were born and raised in Saudi Arabia, Bin Ladens homeland. Bush didn't have big enough balls to attack Saudi Arabia because he's in bed with the Saud family so he wagged the dog and took us into Afghanistan, a country that had nothing to do with 9/11 as well as Iraq who Bush even said had nothing to do with the attacks on 9/11.

Actually, two unfunded wars with no tax increases is what devastated the economy in addition to the housing meltdown and don't forget all the American jobs that have gone overseas.

Bush was the only American President in our history to take us to war and not raise taxes and that idiot took us into two wars. He took Clintons surplus and turned it into a $10 trillion debt in 8 years.

Do your country a favor and go back to school. Naughty words will get you nowhere, fast and there's a whole dictionary filled with acceptable verbiage.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Location hidden

#226 Aug 23, 2013
super steve wrote:
<quoted text>
47 million on food stamps and Obamaphones for the lazy and worthless, you and Ostupida must be so proud.
Complain to monkeyboybush. He put them on welfare and food stamps and created the highest foreclosure rate in our nations history, the lowest value of the dollar in our history and on and on and on.

President Obama can only mop up Bush's mess so fast, zippy and with a do-nothing KKKongress, don't expect anything to get done until Americans vote out the teabaggers.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#227 Aug 23, 2013
x0x0x wrote:
<quoted text>Complain to monkeyboybush. He put them on welfare and food stamps and created the highest foreclosure rate in our nations history, the lowest value of the dollar in our history and on and on and on.
President Obama can only mop up Bush's mess so fast, zippy and with a do-nothing KKKongress, don't expect anything to get done until Americans vote out the teabaggers.
'monkey boy bush'? wow...so much for being a kind and gentle lib. last couple of days you have been on the warpath....you must be a redhead?

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#228 Aug 23, 2013
x0x0x wrote:
<quoted text>"Moron? Dumbass"?
Try to use your big boy words, zippy.
I remember that 17 of the 19 terrorists on 9/11 were born and raised in Saudi Arabia, Bin Ladens homeland. Bush didn't have big enough balls to attack Saudi Arabia because he's in bed with the Saud family so he wagged the dog and took us into Afghanistan, a country that had nothing to do with 9/11 as well as Iraq who Bush even said had nothing to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Actually, two unfunded wars with no tax increases is what devastated the economy in addition to the housing meltdown and don't forget all the American jobs that have gone overseas.
Bush was the only American President in our history to take us to war and not raise taxes and that idiot took us into two wars. He took Clintons surplus and turned it into a $10 trillion debt in 8 years.
Do your country a favor and go back to school. Naughty words will get you nowhere, fast and there's a whole dictionary filled with acceptable verbiage.
Hmmmmmm so by your reasoning, since Obama is destroying the American Economy we should bomb Kenya.

Location hidden

#229 Aug 23, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
'monkey boy bush'? wow...so much for being a kind and gentle lib. last couple of days you have been on the warpath....you must be a redhead?
Well it's that time of month. I hear Fluke now wants the Affordable Care Act to also buy her tampons.
conservative crapola

Allentown, PA

#230 Aug 23, 2013
Loan her yours.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

#231 Aug 23, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text> Well it's that time of month. I hear Fluke now wants the Affordable Care Act to also buy her tampons.
PMS Is rough, so they say.

Location hidden

#232 Aug 23, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>PMS Is rough, so they say.
It is said that Valerie Jarrett is trying to time the pms to the time women are put in combat. The terrorist won't have a chance.

Location hidden

#233 Aug 23, 2013
conservative crapola wrote:
Loan her yours.
Can't, you borrowed it to floss.
conservative crapola

Allentown, PA

#234 Aug 23, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>Can't, you borrowed it to floss.
Maybe you get get some from 'mattress mary' fallin.
fingiswold

Newark, OH

#235 Aug 23, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text> Well it's that time of month. I hear Fluke now wants the Affordable Care Act to also buy her tampons.
filthy righties like you and rank limpballs want to call her a slut for being a woman...good luck with that war on women, putz! that'll help you win in 2014...

lol
fingiswold

Newark, OH

#236 Aug 23, 2013
Le Jismboy wrote:
<quoted text>It is said that Valerie Jarrett is trying to time the pms to the time women are put in combat. The terrorist won't have a chance.
it's said that jismboy once had an intelligent thought, but it fled his empty head due to loneliness..

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Location hidden

#237 Aug 24, 2013
inbred Genius wrote:
<quoted text>
IG, I have referred to W as monkeyboybush for years so stop with your "Oh, my, I've got the vapors" disingenuous shock.

Once I saw that picture of him next to a monkey, what else could I call him? They looked like twins, thus my pet name "monkeyboybush".
Would you prefer I call him "warmonger", "murderer of American Soldiers" "economy killer" "slayer of the English language"? Hmmmm?
Are those more acceptable to you?

Warpath.....if you say so.

“BILLARY 2016 ”

Location hidden

#238 Aug 24, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>It is said that Valerie Jarrett is trying to time the pms to the time women are put in combat. The terrorist won't have a chance.
You would know, Le Lame-o.
Your period is 24/7/365.

Location hidden

#240 Aug 24, 2013
fingiswold wrote:
<quoted text>
it's said that jismboy once had an intelligent thought, but it fled his empty head due to loneliness..
NSA Paid GOOGLEFACEBOOK Millions To Spy on Taxpayers...

Employees Eavesdropped on Love Interests, Significant Others...
fingiswold

Newark, OH

#241 Aug 24, 2013
Le Jimbo wrote:
<quoted text>NSA Paid GOOGLEFACEBOOK Millions To Spy on Taxpayers...
Employees Eavesdropped on Love Interests, Significant Others...
Oranges said to grow on trees

They are often harvested to produce orange juice

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 20 min The real deal AB 18,865
Obscene / Vulgar posts 52 min wow 19
Old Mayah Brawn Had a City 1 hr Right On 5
Bauerle Seeing Dragonfly Drones 2 hr California Dreaming 16
Does Lief Coah enjoy Gay Sex? 5 hr Kernel tbird 24
Fatal Shooting May Be Linked To Phillips Manhunt (Jun '06) 10 hr Who Cares 2,984
is Nalina Shapiro fat? (Dec '12) 16 hr Phil 54
•••
•••
•••

Buffalo Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Buffalo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••