wnia radio station question
Fred - Rochester NY

Rochester, NY

#42 Jan 24, 2012
rose wrote:
i have been searching for the name of a song and artist for years now, it used to be played on wnia in the 60's at 12:00 midnight every night. it was instrumental and my dad listened to it almost every night. he is gone now and i would sure like to hear it again for the sake of memories. someone once told me it was from a foreign artist. does anyone remember this?
Rose,

I'm 99% sure the song was Moonlight Serenade by Glenn Miller. It was always preceded by the words "Be Big... Be A Builder.

Fred
Bash

Buffalo, NY

#43 Jan 24, 2012
I think that was the 11:00 theme, which I have been looking for. The midnight song was definitely Midnight Mood by Richard Maltby.
Fred - Rochester NY wrote:
<quoted text>
Rose,
I'm 99% sure the song was Moonlight Serenade by Glenn Miller. It was always preceded by the words "Be Big... Be A Builder.
Fred
J R Reid

Fort Myers, FL

#44 Mar 31, 2012
As a former Tommy Thomas AND Mike Melody (its a long story) here's the link to Midnight Mood! Enjoy
Jim Henzler

Peoria, AZ

#45 Sep 9, 2012
I grew up in the 60's listening to WKBW, WYSL and WNIA...great music...great memories.
Too many automated stations today...
Rich Stettenbenz

Edgewater, NJ

#46 Mar 31, 2013
rose wrote:
i have been searching for the name of a song and artist for years now, it used to be played on wnia in the 60's at 12:00 midnight every night. it was instrumental and my dad listened to it almost every night. he is gone now and i would sure like to hear it again for the sake of memories. someone once told me it was from a foreign artist. does anyone remember this?
The Song is MIDNIGHT MOOD by RICHARD MALTBY and you can hear it on YOUTUBE along with THOUGHTS OF YOU by DENNY VAUGHN which was the 11:00 Theme.

I spent some time digging around for these two themes and it's great to hear them every now and then. The search was worth it.
Rich Stettenbenz

Edgewater, NJ

#47 Mar 31, 2013
Thoughts of You by Denny Vaughn played on WNIA at 11 PM and Midnight Mood by Richard Maltby played at, of course,12.
I don't think they ever announced Maltby as the artist all those years but he did have a collaboration with Henry Mancini on Mister Lucky, the series.
BTW I believe WNIA was, for a few years, the call letters for a small radio station just above Danbury, CT but I never went in the building to check it out. The station came and went sometime in the 80s. Who knows?
Heatherscorner

Manassas, VA

#48 Apr 24, 2013
Oh My God
I been trying to remember the name of that song for over 40 years, wow thanks.
Every Friday and Saturday i meet my mother at 12 midnight at thruway lanes to bowl with her.
Deuce

Grand Island, NY

#49 Jul 30, 2013
Midnight Mood by Richard Maltby
Go to….www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM UOtzLwhbE ity's an mp3 converter. Save this in your favorites. Now go back to youtube and find your song. Open it and click on share. A window opens below in blue, copy it. Close site and go back to mp3 converter. Paste new site in box and click convert. Now click download and save. That’s it. Deuce
Richard Lawrence

United States

#50 Aug 16, 2013
I was Mike Melody from 1965-67. The name of the song played at midnight was Midnight Moood I forgot the name of the artist but you could find on iTunes
Richard Lawrence

United States

#51 Aug 16, 2013
It was Midnight Mood
rose

Dunkirk, NY

#52 Aug 27, 2013
Richard Lawrence wrote:
It was Midnight Mood
hi richard, i use to listen to you. several people have responded already and the artist was richard maltby. thank you anyway. i listened and cried because my dad is gone now and it reminds me of him. you were a great dj, spent alot of teen age hours listening to wnia, good times!

Since: Mar 08

Buffalo, NY

#53 Aug 28, 2013
Richard Lawrence wrote:
I was Mike Melody from 1965-67. The name of the song played at midnight was Midnight Moood I forgot the name of the artist but you could find on iTunes
I was one of the kids that used to hang out at the back window of the station and talk with you between records. Great times back then!
GUMPNF

Niagara Falls, NY

#54 Aug 28, 2013
Your Name Here wrote:
<quoted text>
I was one of the kids that used to hang out at the back window of the station and talk with you between records. Great times back then!
YA must be a old geezer by now huh ?

Buffalo, NY

#55 Aug 28, 2013
GUMPNF wrote:
<quoted text>YA must be a old geezer by now huh ?
I'm so old my kids even look old!
GUMPNF

Niagara Falls, NY

#56 Aug 28, 2013
Your Name Here wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm so old my kids even look old!
Thanks for today's laugh.
Wanna try to catch me ?
I'm as old as the dirt

Buffalo, NY

#57 Aug 28, 2013
GUMPNF wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for today's laugh.
Wanna try to catch me ?
I'm as old as the dirt
I'm so old I can't even catch a cold.

“Communism. It's everywhere!”

Since: May 08

Lockport, NY

#58 Aug 30, 2013
Your Name Here wrote:
<quoted text>
If you used to hang out the back window of WNIA, then we grew up in the same neighborhood. I drove through the old neighborhood last week, it's definitely not the same.

The Commie

Buffalo, NY

#59 Aug 30, 2013
thenycommie wrote:
<quoted text>
If you used to hang out the back window of WNIA, then we grew up in the same neighborhood. I drove through the old neighborhood last week, it's definitely not the same.
The Commie
I grew up on Blake St. across from Queen of Peace then moved out to the Geo. Urban and Union area. I drove through the old neighborhood this morning on my way back from Jefferson-William, went down Broadway to Fillmore to Genesee. It will be interesting to see how Buffalo comes back.
Lance Boyles

Germany

#60 Aug 30, 2013
Your Name Here wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up on Blake St. across from Queen of Peace then moved out to the Geo. Urban and Union area. I drove through the old neighborhood this morning on my way back from Jefferson-William, went down Broadway to Fillmore to Genesee. It will be interesting to see how Buffalo comes back.
You don't really believe Buffalo is going to come back do you?
I grew up on Kensington next to Nagels dairy and the Dewey playground, and then on Moselle st.
Although I haven't been there in 25 yrs, they were sh!t holes then. I can't imagine they've gotten any better.

“Communism. It's everywhere!”

Since: May 08

Lockport, NY

#61 Aug 31, 2013
Your Name Here wrote:
<quoted text>
I grew up in the Harlem Genesee section near Queen of Martyrs Church. The best way I can describe it is that a wave of destruction started in the center of Buffalo and then slowly worked its way east. Back in the day, we would go for a fish fry at Benny's and then walked to the Bailey theater with my parents to catch a movie. I'm sure Buffalo will come back, but certainly not in my lifetime.

The Commie

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 26 min Fitius T Bluster 21,308
Has Buffalo become a riffraff city? 3 hr Artemis 8
Eddie Tyrone Lewis 5 hr tbirdsPAL 2
Alleged Mafia Activity in Buffalo, Niagara Fall... (Mar '16) 8 hr ag is illuminated 112
Only homosexuals call themselves "Lief Coach" Dec 14 roto rooter 9
Why does the Buffalo accent sound so dumb? Dec 13 factcheck 15
What would happen? Dec 11 RJ Lifton 2

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages