First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Guess Who

Buffalo, NY

#1 Oct 27, 2011
Fake PTSD VA Claims Damage Real Ones

by Chaplain Kathie

With so many real wounded veterans not able to get the benefits they need to have their wounds treated and have their lost incomes compensated for, this really goes much deeper than just one more story of a fake hero.

Brian Culp managed to collect a lot for his fake wounds including appointments with a psychologist because he was a good actor. Veterans veterans like my husband see their appointments cut back because there isn't enough hours or providers to take care of the older veterans with the new veterans coming into the system.

My husband never thought he deserved anything from the VA and never called himself a hero, even though he has a Bronze Star for Meritorious Service, he does not put himself into the class of those he thinks of as "real heroes" like some of his friends. He also didn't see the wound of PTSD as a wound equal to a physical one. Most of them are humble and appreciate the care they receive from the VA instead of acting as if they earned it, when clearly they did. It took us six years to clear up a paperwork error to have his claim approved and for others, even longer.

Yet Culp managed to pull it all off with computer skills and good acting. He also managed to validate the perception that there are fake claims flooding into the system. Over and over again, when claims are denied, people tend to regard those claims as fraudulent because they were turned down. After all, the VA has to be right and they would honor the claim if it had been a legitimate one, right? Wrong.

Until a claim is approved, it's non-service connected. This can happen with paperwork errors, lost files, inability to find someone they served with that can back up the claim and offer a letter of support, along with a long list of others problems including the shredding of claims at many VA processing centers. Culp just put the thought of false claims back into the minds of the American people.

While it's great this fraud was found out, there are some willing to look at the good he did while pretending to be a wounded hero. Did he help some? Sure. But the truth is, his actions may have harmed a lot more than he managed to help. What would it have cost him to just help the veterans he pretended to be and not pull off a crime like this? Imagine the good he could have done for others without doing this. With a talent good enough to sell himself as a hero, he could have used it to really help the real ones falling through the cracks instead of himself.

http://www.namguardianangel.com/postings/fake...
person

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Dec 14, 2011
I think that while some claims of fake may be accurate, a lot of people actually claim to "fake ptsd" to their buddies to get disability when they actually have it because they don't want to be labeled as weak. It comes from a gross misunderstanding of the condition. Lived with my husband and 3 military room mates, I have chronic PTSD from childhood myself, and I study and read up on everything I can about it to try and help myself. They definitively exhibited PTSD like behavior in they they moved, acted, reacted, and talked. But they'd swear to death their only faking it to their buddies.

So it's either our soldiers are "weak" or our soliders are "faking it". That's how they view the civilian look on PTSD which isn't far from true because people don't typically know anything about it. Not to mention that everybody usually thinks any condition you can't see is fake because of western paranoia (Another topic to long to get into)
son ot tbird

Center Barnstead, NH

#4 Dec 15, 2011
person wrote:
I think that while some claims of fake may be accurate, a lot of people actually claim to "fake ptsd" to their buddies to get disability when they actually have it because they don't want to be labeled as weak. It comes from a gross misunderstanding of the condition. Lived with my husband and 3 military room mates, I have chronic PTSD from childhood myself, and I study and read up on everything I can about it to try and help myself. They definitively exhibited PTSD like behavior in they they moved, acted, reacted, and talked. But they'd swear to death their only faking it to their buddies.

So it's either our soldiers are "weak" or our soliders are "faking it". That's how they view the civilian look on PTSD which isn't far from true because people don't typically know anything about it. Not to mention that everybody usually thinks any condition you can't see is fake because of western paranoia (Another topic to long to get into)
PTSD became prevalent beginning with Korea and nam when soldierrs came home fast on planes as opposed to on long trips on boats like ww1 and2. Bact then there were long trips and soldiers could defuse and debrief and recover with other soldiers and reconcile with the horrors of war and make a more gradual return to peaceful society. It has nothing to do with strength versus weakness
GUMPnf

Niagara Falls, NY

#5 Dec 15, 2011
son ot tbird wrote:
<quoted text>
PTSD became prevalent beginning with Korea and nam when soldierrs came home fast on planes as opposed to on long trips on boats like ww1 and2. Bact then there were long trips and soldiers could defuse and debrief and recover with other soldiers and reconcile with the horrors of war and make a more gradual return to peaceful society. It has nothing to do with strength versus weakness
There is quite a bit of truth in this post
GUMPnf

Niagara Falls, NY

#7 Dec 15, 2011
Sailor Jimmy wrote:
Hi Hi dere, dis is Sailor Jimmy,
Sorry for waste it Gubbermint money.
I faker man.
Dorata knew I wass fake hero. For dat punishment see say I will go to dat Hell.
I guess I am dere.
I live it in Kaisertown.
Bye Bye
Stop it by
I talk by you later,
Sailor Jimmy - Busted but NOT Sorry
More nonsense.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#8 Dec 15, 2011
son ot tbird wrote:
<quoted text>
In WWI and WWII they called it shell shock.
It was all the same.
I had an uncle that was a marine and during WWII he was woken up by a Jap. with a bayonet being stuck into his chest, well he killed the Jap and from that day on you had to wake him up by yelling at him because if you shook him he woke up swinging and it didn't matter who you were you were going to get hurt.
I remember one time a friend of ours didn't know about this and after he hit the wall across the room and got up off the floor he ran out of the house and would not come back in until my uncle came outside with my aunt and told him about what happened in WWII.
It is too bad those people back then didn't get the help they needed.
And anybody that fakes it should be put in jail for a good long time.
Have a nice night
son ot tbird

Auburn, NY

#9 Dec 15, 2011
Waiting for t turd to way in on this madder
son ot tbird

Auburn, NY

#10 Dec 15, 2011
son ot tbird wrote:
With his typically uninformed opinion

Location hidden

#13 Dec 15, 2011
son ot tbird wrote:
How many people out here think it should be a requirement that you have to be able to read before you can post on this or any other forum?
Didn't you even see post #8?
It was made an hour before you made post #9 and 10.
Have a nice night
son ot tbird

Cairo, NY

#15 Dec 16, 2011
tbird19482 wrote:
<quoted text>How many people out here think it should be a requirement that you have to be able to read before you can post on this or any other forum?
Didn't you even see post #8?
It was made an hour before you made post #9 and 10.
Have a nice night
Dad u r a idiot. PTSD requires impaired function for a period exceeding 30 days. Shell shock is an instant response of cowardly origin.

Location hidden

#16 Dec 16, 2011
son ot tbird wrote:
<quoted text>
Dad u r a idiot. PTSD requires impaired function for a period exceeding 30 days. Shell shock is an instant response of cowardly origin.
I think you should go back and do a lot more reading on the subject.
You should read up on " Shell Shock" , and Shell Shock disambiguation " related medical term is POSTTRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER"
PTSD as well as " Shell Shock" have several levels and if you read what they want to put in the DSM5 it will have even more levels.
As I said " PTSD was called " Shell Shock" back in WWI and WWII yes they did include people that were afraid and ran away but they also included people that still jumped or reacted to different thing that were caused by the trauma they went through well after the war was over.
Have a nice day
son ot tbird

Buffalo, NY

#17 Dec 16, 2011
tbird19482 wrote:
<quoted text>I think you should go back and do a lot more reading on the subject.
You should read up on " Shell Shock" , and Shell Shock disambiguation " related medical term is POSTTRAUMATIC STRESS DISORDER"
PTSD as well as " Shell Shock" have several levels and if you read what they want to put in the DSM5 it will have even more levels.
As I said " PTSD was called " Shell Shock" back in WWI and WWII yes they did include people that were afraid and ran away but they also included people that still jumped or reacted to different thing that were caused by the trauma they went through well after the war was over.
Have a nice day
You can not diagnose PTSD until a person has been documented as dysfunctional for more than 30 days. U r a idiot

Location hidden

#19 Dec 16, 2011
son ot tbird wrote:
<quoted text>
You can not diagnose PTSD until a person has been documented as dysfunctional for more than 30 days. U r a idiot
NOW why don't you go back and read what I wrote?
You seem to know a lot about PTSD so you would know that they didn't come up with this name until in the late 50 or so.
Before that it was called shell shock , yes some people with shell shock only had it for a short time but people like my uncle had it for years and as I said if you wanted to wake him up you stood by the door to his room and yelled his name.
Hope you have a nice afternoon.
dan knudson

Sioux City, IA

#21 Jan 18, 2012
A mental health professional is trained to detect toxic processes in a patient's self presentation, but nobody is capable of looking into ones' mind. I have PTSD rated 100%. It is most evident socially. PTSD is solitary and friendless. For years I have walked aimlessly in city streets...endless walking while in the grips of dysphoric thoughts. Depression has kept me from even holding a job. I sit in V.A. waiting lounges listening to vets talk about their PTSD claims as though it is a cause celebre. Also,they talk about their family life,their jobs,their hopes and dreams for the future when the VA gravy train with biscuit wheels comes rolling in from their disability claim. Sadly, the guys who really need help don't come around. These are also the men penalized for forgetting to mail in 21 4140 forms, and having their benefits reduced. It is a sad egg to swallow.
Son ot tbird

Buffalo, NY

#22 Jan 18, 2012
dan knudson wrote:
A mental health professional is trained to detect toxic processes in a patient's self presentation, but nobody is capable of looking into ones' mind. I have PTSD rated 100%. It is most evident socially. PTSD is solitary and friendless. For years I have walked aimlessly in city streets...endless walking while in the grips of dysphoric thoughts. Depression has kept me from even holding a job. I sit in V.A. waiting lounges listening to vets talk about their PTSD claims as though it is a cause celebre. Also,they talk about their family life,their jobs,their hopes and dreams for the future when the VA gravy train with biscuit wheels comes rolling in from their disability claim. Sadly, the guys who really need help don't come around. These are also the men penalized for forgetting to mail in 21 4140 forms, and having their benefits reduced. It is a sad egg to swallow.
Sad that you are such a mess that you are surfing topix and posting eloquent diatribes to excuse your poor performance in life. Boooo hooooooooo
GUMPnf

Niagara Falls, NY

#23 Jan 18, 2012
Son ot tbird wrote:
<quoted text>
Sad that you are such a mess that you are surfing topix and posting eloquent diatribes to excuse your poor performance in life. Boooo hooooooooo
YOU are sick
Lifer Couch

Chesapeake, VA

#24 Jan 18, 2012
dan knudson wrote:
I am in support of people like you 100%

I am sure you do not dress up in some biker costume with a dirty vest that claims you are some kind of war hero.

Those kind of idiots who run around wearing it on their sleeve surely saw no real combat. They have no idea what its like to be in a hot war zone wondering if today will be there last. They have no idea what it is like for your body to come back home, but be changed in a way that you will never be the same.

They ride their loud Harleys. They dress in their costumes. They raise their beer mugs and yell "LOOK AT ME...I AM YOUR HERO" while poor bastards like you who have really seen and felt terror pay for the rest of your lives

Thank you, Sir
Son ot tbird

South Windsor, CT

#26 Jan 18, 2012
Lifer Couch wrote:
<quoted text>I am in support of people like you 100%

I am sure you do not dress up in some biker costume with a dirty vest that claims you are some kind of war hero.

Those kind of idiots who run around wearing it on their sleeve surely saw no real combat. They have no idea what its like to be in a hot war zone wondering if today will be there last. They have no idea what it is like for your body to come back home, but be changed in a way that you will never be the same.

They ride their loud Harleys. They dress in their costumes. They raise their beer mugs and yell "LOOK AT ME...I AM YOUR HERO" while poor bastards like you who have really seen and felt terror pay for the rest of your lives

Thank you, Sir
Dan is a weak bitch
dan knudson

Kansas City, MO

#27 Jan 18, 2012
Lifer Couch wrote:
<quoted text>
I am in support of people like you 100%
Thank you, Sir
Stick it up your balloon knot!
Son ot tbird

South Windsor, CT

#29 Jan 18, 2012
dan knudson wrote:
<quoted text>Stick it up your balloon knot!
What's wrong faker? Too cold to walk the streets aimlessly? I guess you aren't as crazy as you pretend to be

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay Skype Fun (Aug '15) Tue Kylehicks14 6
Alleged Mafia Activity in Buffalo, Niagara Fall... (Mar '16) Tue usa goverment is ... 101
News Rachel Stra Is Back In Court (Dec '07) Tue Same Jen new user... 77
Only homosexual men study Library Science Tue Colleen Brennan 28
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Jun 26 True That 20,946
What Didn't Die? Jun 25 traveller 7
More monkeys in the city than in the Buffalo Zoo! Jun 25 lol 3

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages