College student left paralyzed after ...

College student left paralyzed after beating

There are 508 comments on the Post-Standard story from Mar 25, 2008, titled College student left paralyzed after beating. In it, Post-Standard reports that:

The family of a University at Buffalo student allegedly beaten by three men last weekend says the student remains paralyzed from the waist down. via Post-Standard

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Post-Standard.

First Prev
of 26
Next Last
lsm

Schaumburg, IL

#1 Mar 26, 2008
Our prayers are with mike and his family.We wish
for the best to help Mike.Also the 3 that did this
should someday soon get it right back to them.They need to know how and what it feels like.
Can,t we walk anywhere or anytime without being
worried? Lets all support Mike and his family
Unknown

Buffalo, NY

#2 Mar 27, 2008
To clear a few things up, I know the 3 men who assaulted the victim. Kevin Rowland was solely responsible for this tragedy, and if it wasn't for Michael Gunderman and Charlie Jordan who themselves would never hurt a fly, Bliss would of been dead. Gunderman and Jordan are straight edge college kids who aren't even in a fraternity. Charlie and Michael got themselves wrapped up in a mess for trying to get their friend off of Bliss. Don't get me wrong what happened was a tragedy, but Bliss was egging Kevin Rowland on and kept on provoking Rowland to the point that physical altercation was imminent. The one man who should pay is Kevin Rowland, the other two were innocent bystanders who did what anyone would do in the same situation of helping their friend, and tried to make him stop. My prayers are with all of the families, to the Bliss's and to the Gunderman's and Jordans.
Deacon Chilly Willie

United States

#3 Mar 28, 2008
Unknown wrote:
To clear a few things up, I know the 3 men who assaulted the victim. Kevin Rowland was solely responsible for this tragedy, and if it wasn't for Michael Gunderman and Charlie Jordan who themselves would never hurt a fly, Bliss would of been dead. Gunderman and Jordan are straight edge college kids who aren't even in a fraternity. Charlie and Michael got themselves wrapped up in a mess for trying to get their friend off of Bliss. Don't get me wrong what happened was a tragedy, but Bliss was egging Kevin Rowland on and kept on provoking Rowland to the point that physical altercation was imminent. The one man who should pay is Kevin Rowland, the other two were innocent bystanders who did what anyone would do in the same situation of helping their friend, and tried to make him stop. My prayers are with all of the families, to the Bliss's and to the Gunderman's and Jordans.
Ok so what brought it on ??
fair

Walworth, NY

#4 Mar 28, 2008
was it gang related ?
Unknown

United States

#5 Mar 28, 2008
no it was not gang related whatsoever and what brought it on was that Bliss was drunk out of his mind so was Rowland, Bliss kept on trying to fight Rowland and he completly lost control and in the end Jordan was trying to get him to stop and Gunderman needed to help Jordan to get him to stop... Same thing that goes on in every bar around the country unfortunatly
Anonymous2

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Mar 28, 2008
I stand behind the other anonymous post. I went to school with Charlie Jordan and Mike Gunderman. Nice, gentle guys. It was absolutely not gang related.
Deacon Chilly Willie

United States

#7 Mar 28, 2008
Thanks for the answer
Unknown wrote:
no it was not gang related whatsoever and what brought it on was that Bliss was drunk out of his mind so was Rowland, Bliss kept on trying to fight Rowland and he completly lost control and in the end Jordan was trying to get him to stop and Gunderman needed to help Jordan to get him to stop... Same thing that goes on in every bar around the country unfortunatly
fair

Walworth, NY

#8 Mar 29, 2008
that is what gangs do
bill12180

Gorham, ME

#9 Mar 29, 2008
Charlie and mike didn't do anything. if you believe the media and everything they are saying then i guess you believe in the easter bunny as well.
Joey

United States

#10 Mar 30, 2008
So I think it's interesting that this Kevin kid went crazy on Bliss and when two people try to stop Kevin they are seen as gang members, do you people honestly believe everything that is said on the news?
John Rowland

Bronx, NY

#11 Mar 30, 2008
my brother is not a monster, he is not a fighter and I do not know why he would ever do anything like this . . . i do not know the full story at all but to all you people saying all this your wrong
Cooter

Smicksburg, PA

#12 Mar 31, 2008
John Rowland wrote:
my brother is not a monster, he is not a fighter and I do not know why he would ever do anything like this ... i do not know the full story at all but to all you people saying all this your wrong
Ya right. Wake up moron.
bob

Rochester, NY

#13 Mar 31, 2008
you guys say that those to didnt do anything. thats why hes left in icu paralized. my friend is a big kid and he could have taken that one kid how did he get knocked on the ground how was he getting kicked in the head and back and ribs at the same time. does the ONE kid have 3 legs. what gave those kids the right to kick when hes down and ruin his future. and then to have smerks during there mugshots and say there going to say there things to the officers in the police station. what gave them the right to do that. how lame do you have to be to kick when someone is face down on the ground. this last week has been the toughest thing for the whole family, sending there kid to college and getting a call that he was brutally beaten up. and seeing the look on his 8 year old sister who looks up to him. why why did this have to happen. these two kids your sticking up for know what that did and know that there not going to get off easy. there going to serve time no matter what. and i hope every day they sit in there they no how much they hurt the family. tell them they better not kick those guys in prison. Keep the PRAYS coming, thanks
shirl068

AOL

#14 Apr 1, 2008
No matter how people decide to cover the situation, the fact remain's you are the company that you keep. If a shoplifer lifts, and your with them, you are guilty as far as the law goes. If the convict all three a message would be sent out loud and clear. I advise that the parents take deep consideration into who are their children keeping company with. If they say so-n-so is a thief, or use to be in a gang, get your child away from that person no matter if the previous child is no longer gang banging. There are lot's of people to hang with than these poor excuses of a criminal mind and behavior. I hope the sentence can be reduced for the other two, but the fact remains they were participents and should be punished.
John Rowland

Bronx, NY

#15 Apr 1, 2008
Cooter wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya right. Wake up moron.
well unless your part of the jury it doesnt really matter what you say.
Cooter

Hughesville, MD

#16 Apr 2, 2008
Get the soap on the rope ready. Big bubbas coming.
kelly

Liverpool, NY

#17 Apr 2, 2008
I find it hard to believe the police would arrest 2 people trying to "save" his life. If the other 2 didn't have anything to do with it, why wouldn't rowland, their roommate and "friend", clear them initially? it's not like his sentence would be any greater or lesser. To beat someone this severely is unimaginable... inhibited or not. How could anyone allow this to happen? Where were Mike's friends? From reports, his roommate was at the aftermath of the scene and was arrested for disorderly conduct.
My prayers are with the Bliss family.
Extremely Bothered

Charlotte, NC

#18 Apr 2, 2008
Hey John Rowland - if this is what happened to your brother - he was severely beaten to being paralyzed - I'm sure you'd call the person who did it - a monster - and would want him punished. Your brother - ruined someones life - PARALYZED this kid - why, because he's tough?? people understand that fights happen - but to kick and stomp someone in the head while theyre down is not human!! He clearly has issues, drunk or not. He will go to jail, and I hope he stays there for a LONG time. And for the other two - they were clearly involved as well, reguardless of what their lawyer says. All three of them will be punished and hopefully will someday have remorse.
hey bob

Staten Island, NY

#19 Apr 2, 2008
Learn the difference between there and their and they're. It strengthens your argument when you come across as an intelligent individual. Come to think of it, so does punctuation and spelling.
shirl068

Staten Island, NY

#20 Apr 2, 2008
First off, being in a gang and "gang banging" are two entirely different things. Look it up. Also, these "kids" are in their 20's no parent has control over their "children" at this age.
Also, comparing this to shoplifting makes you look like a moron, so does calling this gang violence. It's a drunken bar fight.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Minneapolis KILLS 20,972
When dating a Colombian man, what are some info... (Sep '13) Sat Coffee savings 36
Gay Skype Fun (Aug '15) Fri Kevin 37
Buffalo NY - Attn Adoptees and Birth Parents an... (Nov '13) Fri jbohacek 17
Ghetto assed names in the news (Nov '16) Fri Ken 15
Philip Litten Jul 21 test 3
Only homosexual men study Library Science Jul 20 Marti 37

Buffalo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages