Ken Ton School cover-up

Posted in the Buffalo Forum

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Bilbo Baggins

Buffalo, NY

#1 Aug 12, 2010
"Kevin Kruger was named the new principal at Benjamin Franklin Middle School, where he replaces Doug Smith who has retired."
<hr>
Anyone know what happened to Doug Smith? He was suspended a few months ago over a "conduct" issue, now he quietly retires with full pension.
Bilbo Baggins

Buffalo, NY

#2 Aug 12, 2010
Found the original article from the Tonawanda News:

TOWN OF TONAWANDA — Benjamin Franklin Middle School Principal Doug Smith was placed on administrative leave last week by the Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda School District for an apparent violation of district policy.

Superintendent Mark Mondanaro announced Smith’s status at Tuesday’s Board of Education meeting. He would not explain the reason for the action, but said the decision was made Thursday because Smith “possibly did not follow policy.”

“This does not involve the safety and well-being of children at all,” Mondanaro quickly stated.

Marilyn Carmichael, a former district employee, has been named interim principal.

Mondanaro would not say if Smith will return, but said the district is still “working through the situation with the employee.”

He would not elaborate further citing personnel rules, but after the meeting Mondanaro said the issue was brought to the district’s attention on Thursday, the same day that Smith was placed on leave.

“There isn’t more to say about it,” Mondanaro said.“It pretty much came to our attention and we dealt with it.”
KaiserTown Spy

Lockport, NY

#3 Aug 12, 2010
Bilbo Baggins wrote:
TOWN OF TONAWANDA — Benjamin Franklin Middle School Principal Doug Smith was placed on administrative leave last week by the Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda School District for an apparent violation of district policy.
Superintendent Mark Mondanaro announced Smith’s status at Tuesday’s Board of Education meeting. He would not explain the reason for the action, but said the decision was made Thursday because Smith “possibly did not follow policy.”
“This does not involve the safety and well-being of children at all,” Mondanaro quickly stated.
Marilyn Carmichael, a former district employee, has been named interim principal.
Mondanaro would not say if Smith will return, but said the district is still “working through the situation with the employee.”
He would not elaborate further citing personnel rules, but after the meeting Mondanaro said the issue was brought to the district’s attention on Thursday, the same day that Smith was placed on leave.
“There isn’t more to say about it,” Mondanaro said.“It pretty much came to our attention and we dealt with it.”
Thanks for the heads up on this important issue.

Get back to us when you get to the bottom of this.

I wonder what the tea bagger view is on this?
Zippy

United States

#6 Aug 12, 2010
Bilbo Baggins wrote:
This guy Smith used to be principal at Kenmore West then they brought some broad to be an 'associate ' principal one year and then he was gone from the high school.. and turned up at the middle school.. now.. he's out of the school system altogether. Another coverup? possibly. Its wierd that he was moved around like that quickly and now out completely.
Ken West Alum

Buffalo, NY

#7 Aug 12, 2010
The students at Ken West liked him for his laid-back, hippie attitude. About 4 yrs ago, the BrainTrust at 1500 Colvin brought in a female Nazi from West Seneca to nudge Smith out. He was supposedly disciplined for "inappropriate computer use," which could mean anything IF they really wanted to force you out.
Ken West Alum

Buffalo, NY

#8 Aug 12, 2010
How about a thread on former Steven A. Achramovitch AND HIS ABRUPT "TRANSFER" TO THE GREECE SCHOOL DISTRICT?

C'mon let's hear from some of the history teachers in Ken Ton
resident

Buffalo, NY

#9 Aug 12, 2010
Ken West Alum wrote:
How about a thread on former Steven A. Achramovitch AND HIS ABRUPT "TRANSFER" TO THE GREECE SCHOOL DISTRICT?
C'mon let's hear from some of the history teachers in Ken Ton
This may just be a nasty rumor.
allegedly, the former had an affair in his office, after hours. With a co-worker, or possibly a teacher in the district. They were caught, allegedly.
resident

Buffalo, NY

#10 Aug 12, 2010
Ken West Alum wrote:
The students at Ken West liked him for his laid-back, hippie attitude. About 4 yrs ago, the BrainTrust at 1500 Colvin brought in a female Nazi from West Seneca to nudge Smith out. He was supposedly disciplined for "inappropriate computer use," which could mean anything IF they really wanted to force you out.
Interesting you say "BrainTrust" at 1500. Why is this guy bringing all the losers from other districts to ruin our district. I also heard they had to fire the new building and grounds supervisor, he did not last very long either.
Ken West Alum

Buffalo, NY

#12 Aug 12, 2010
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
This may just be a nasty rumor.
allegedly, the former had an affair in his office, after hours. With a co-worker, or possibly a teacher in the district. They were caught, allegedly.
It WAS (allegedly) a teacher, who's spouse was also a teacher in the District. Here's where it gets complicated. The super (allegedly) used his position to "negatively effect" the career of his lover's spouse. Neighbors in the toity Deerhurst Pk neighborhood report more than a few interventions involving the authorities.
Ken West Alum

Buffalo, NY

#13 Aug 12, 2010
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting you say "BrainTrust" at 1500. Why is this guy bringing all the losers from other districts to ruin our district. I also heard they had to fire the new building and grounds supervisor, he did not last very long either.
Haven't heard that.
Leonard J. Law is listed in public records as Superintendent, Buildings & Grounds, before that it was Oliveri.
Am I missing something?
resident

Buffalo, NY

#14 Aug 12, 2010
Ken West Alum wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't heard that.
Leonard J. Law is listed in public records as Superintendent, Buildings & Grounds, before that it was Oliveri.
Am I missing something?
He was "allegedly" let go sometime in the spring of this year.'Supposedly' the transportation supervisor is next. This is rumor from a good source....I may be wrong. Maybe someone can enlighten us.
Ken West Alum

Buffalo, NY

#15 Aug 12, 2010
Talk to some of the older Bus Drivers about O'Connor's meteoric rise from the maintenance shack to Head of the Dept.

It's odd how his name is missing from the KT Dept homepage.

By the way, how much are they paying that Stefan Mychajliw guy? I know his salary is public domain
John Johnson

Tonawanda, NY

#16 Aug 12, 2010
Ken West Alum wrote:
By the way, how much are they paying that Stefan Mychajliw guy? I know his salary is public domain
I'd assume it's more than the $78,150 per year he was getting paid in Buffalo.
iamwhoiam

Buffalo, NY

#17 Aug 12, 2010
my two cents

United States

#18 Aug 13, 2010
man....can't adults keep their hands off each other in our schools? never heard this crap before but i always knew that smith was a goof of a principal. I knew the Achramovitch family and if steve couldn't keep it in his pants..it answers alot of questions i had about the dude. But then again, I'm forming an opinion on hearsay on a blog without proof.
Ron Kovic

Buffalo, NY

#19 Aug 13, 2010
The Kenton School District is a cesspool of corruption, mismanagement and nepotism. If you want a coveted teaching gig, either KNOW someone or BLOW someone. How about the annual taxpayer-paid junkets to Orlando, for teaching "conferences." It's a taxpayer funded vacation!

Notice how every teacher and administrator that has been charged with malfeasance is allowed to quietly retire and collect their pension. The only recent exception was the Ken West teacher who was banging teens at an area hotel, and had signed in under the name "Art Vandelay." He was arrested and fired.
Suspectblackmale

Buffalo, NY

#20 Aug 13, 2010
This is getting boring. How about some real dirt on who these overpaid whiners are banging?
HELLO

Buffalo, NY

#21 Aug 13, 2010
Carmmelina Persico doing a great job!!!!
just me

Grand Island, NY

#22 Aug 14, 2010
take a trip to the transportation department if you need something to fix. as if the debacle of changing everything around last year wasn't enough, now the boss thinks it's within his power to break our UNION CONTRACT. handing out runs to whomever he decides to (even though we have a bidding process according to seniority, that is stipulated IN OUR contract, he gives runs and adds time to anyone he chooses to) we filed a grievance just a couple weeks ago, when he was ousted from Williamsville there were numerous grievances still unsettled, so if you want to help, come to our establishment. UNION all the way!
Lester Piggot

Buffalo, NY

#23 Aug 14, 2010
Everybody hates a Union buster. What's this guys name?

A job action the 1st week of school would certainly get the attention of the administration. What if 50% of the bus drivers called in sick the 1st day of school?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NFTA Bus to Clarence 6 min Buck Rohde 5
i wrote an article regarding buffalo's mob problem (Oct '12) 17 min Buck Rohde 23
All Liberals Are Sociopaths (Jun '13) 1 hr Ibid 188
Tom Connolly WBEN Radio 3 hr Monroe County 59
road vultures (Nov '08) 5 hr centermass 137
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 21 hr Samuel-7g-Jackson 20,089
Dicks Tattoo Shop (May '11) Tue Lou 24
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages