Each crane marks a life interrupted

Each crane marks a life interrupted

There are 8 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Sep 6, 2008, titled Each crane marks a life interrupted. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

By Frederick Melo [email protected] Article Last Updated: 09/06/2008 10:11:10 PM CDT This text is replaced by the Flash movie.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Bill Samson

Gainesville, FL

#1 Sep 7, 2008
Seems like I remember doing this 16 years ago, so they are not original.
Steph

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Sep 7, 2008
So what if it's not original? A token of rememberance is a wonderful thing. I folded cranes in honor of the Chinese hurricane victims and would be delighted to fold some in rememberance of the Japanese internees as well.
Art former internee

Scottsdale, AZ

#3 Sep 7, 2008
And even less is written of the internment of German Americans and Italian Americans in our history books.

For more on the internment of German Americans please visit http://www.foitimes.com
Cindy Stainker

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Sep 7, 2008
Thank you to Carly and Michelle, you are doing a great thing. This was a terrible time in both Japanese and American History. This never should have happend, these people were american citizens by the time Pearl Harbor happend. There is a movie about this subject called Come see the Paradise. It tells what happend in Hawaii before and after the internment.
Observer

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Sep 7, 2008
Carly and Michelle could be commended for their thoughtfullness, but they and most Americans have been mislead. There are documented cases where Americans born of Japanese ethnicity committed treason during WWII. A Japanese/American couple tried to help a downed Japanese pilot after he crash landed on their island on Dec. 7, 1941. In the process, they shot a man who did not want to help the enemy pilot.

It was a different time, so it is unfair to judge the decisions made over 60 years ago by today's standards.

If the girls want to commemorate victims, they could fold several million paper cranes in honor of the Chinese, Filipino, Korean, American, etc. people that were starved, raped, murdered, tortured and even worse by the Japanese during the war.

By the way, I hope Michelle is smarter than her mother. "Mom, Minneapolis and St. Paul have a considerable population greater than 117,000."
Waste

United States

#7 Sep 8, 2008
What a waste of paper. Really now...
Susan

Austin, TX

#8 Sep 17, 2008
There are no documented cases where Japanese Americans committed treason during WWII. Nobody was ever convicted of treason, nor even charged, which is the crux of the issue. Should anyone be denied due process (a constitutionally guaranteed protection) due solely to their race?

Racists think that all people of some race should be scorned and punished for acts committed by others of that race. This idea falls way short of our American ideals.

I commend Carly and Michelle for their astute grasp of this issue, for their compassion, and for their commitment to justice and equality.
Katie

Denver, CO

#9 Sep 17, 2008
Everyone who posted a comment so far is completely missing the point of their efforts. I have actually been to one of the conventions and I have met these girls. They are intelligent and wonderful people who are trying to help spread the word about a subject that hasn't even been taught in school to me yet. I feel like the people who have posted these comments should not be reading these types articles if they cannot look at them with open minds. I upsets me that there are people like them in this world and the country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buffalo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Curious (Sep '15) Sep '15 Curious 1
The sign man (Aug '15) Aug '15 Montigramma 1
News Jennings bank troubles started with expansion (Oct '09) Jul '15 Court romance 5
News Monticello Man Arrested For Domestic Assault by... (Dec '12) Jul '15 Tellitlikeitis 9
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Monticello, MN (Dec '14) May '15 wenischshelly 4
Looking for Carol that worked at the Sawmill ba... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Carol sawmill 1
News New concept in solar energy poised to catch on ... (Mar '15) Mar '15 Solarman 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buffalo Mortgages