why employers willnot hire a convicted felon

Created by a convicted sons mother on Mar 28, 2008

723 votes

Click on an option to vote

is it the law?

we should allow them a chance

A pissed off American

Niles, MI

#192 Feb 27, 2013
You my friend are an idiot. "Hard Working"? You have no idea what the hell you are talking about, and shouldn't be allowed to have a license to have a business in this Country. You think you are a judge, not a conscientious business man, or sensible individual. Because anyone gets arrested does not mean they need to be labeled "Felon". Some are innocent, some were in the wrong place at the right time, some merely made a stupid mistake. Second Chances? Christ man think about what you say before you spew nonsense! Hell most people in our Government should be held for crimes against its own citizens! There are thousand of educated, skilled, "Hard Working" unemployed people in this country and are not working because of small thinking people just like you. In as much as a business owner has a right to hire people that are able to do the proper job for that business, you shouldn't have a right to base that decision on an applicants background unless you feel they are a danger to you, your employees, or customers......period! Not every felon is dangerous, or a detriment to an industry.....period! Maybe it is your intent to hire less qualified, or illegal applicants because they somehow slid by the legal system most likely because they were lucky enough not to get caught for the stupid little things they did growing up, and before you say it, yes I know some people are just decent folks who didn't do dumb little things. However, we live in a "real world", that experience "real things" which "yes" include doing things that can be paid for........in this case jail! I am so very glad you were one of the lucky ones, or was blessed with "Wings". I hope your "Business" fails miserably you unforgiving, small minded, sanctimonious ass.
The REAL Truth wrote:
well i guess its just more punishment. Ppl dont like to have others work for them if they have already proven in their life that they cannot do right. I myself own a business, and i do not hire anyone for any reason that has a felony on their record. Im sorry but that is and will be the way employers do things. Ppl want trustworthy, honorable, hardworking ppl to work for them. Everyone gets a chance to prove themselves in life. No matter what situation u are in from birth, everyone gets a chance to prove themselves. Your son has proven himself to be a felon. From a mothers stand point, you see your son and a changed man, but from the community and the employers standpoint, we see a person who has already screwed up. I live my life by an old saying that my father told me and i do this still to this day, "Give them a second chance, but not a third". But in the business world, ppl with records, dont get a second.
expunged record

Magnolia, AR

#193 Mar 1, 2013
The REAL Truth wrote:
well i guess its just more punishment. Ppl dont like to have others work for them if they have already proven in their life that they cannot do right. I myself own a business, and i do not hire anyone for any reason that has a felony on their record. Im sorry but that is and will be the way employers do things. Ppl want trustworthy, honorable, hardworking ppl to work for them. Everyone gets a chance to prove themselves in life. No matter what situation u are in from birth, everyone gets a chance to prove themselves. Your son has proven himself to be a felon. From a mothers stand point, you see your son and a changed man, but from the community and the employers standpoint, we see a person who has already screwed up. I live my life by an old saying that my father told me and i do this still to this day, "Give them a second chance, but not a third". But in the business world, ppl with records, dont get a second.
I wonder how many ex-felons are working at your place of business right now that have had their record expunged!!! I hope all of them you dumbass!! Just because you get a felony charge does not mean you have to be a felon forever!! It's called expungement, look it up you stupid f*ck!!

Since: Mar 13

Corpus Christi, TX

#194 Mar 6, 2013
To the folks here who do have a record i feel your pain. In 1991 i made a mistake received 10 years for this crime for a first time offender of a nonviolent crime. Boo hoo poor me well for the past 10+ years of my life i have held a few good jobs which i lost thanks to the N.S.A that increased company's insurance rate's basically out lawing it to hire any one skilled or unskilled x felons into specific area's of the work force.
i believe this is a grand case of discrimination and prejudices in America, but here in this day and time. The term is over used it is a horrible truth of life. Make a mistake and you will have to basically start you own type of business if you would like to make it. In the world today or spend months looking for an under payed job with no benefits, and no chance to better your self.
Though the folks out there who have never made any " mistakes" or lucky enough to have a good attorney or folks to buy them out of the charges well I'm happy for them and the despair they have missed out on. So to act like you are so much better because you never had to pay for the wrongs you have done do not act like you are so much better than the unlucky ones here. Hopefully you will never have a child who has made the mistake or wrong time wrong place or the bad said of a cop who is out to get some one you know. This way you can keep your rose colored glass on and blame it on the individual who was steal steaks to feed his family or kid who is talked in to doing something wrong to impress his friends. or the poor sob who comes home to find there loved one cheating on them. also the one who made an copy there enemy by standing up for what they believe in.So to the folks who belive you dont deserv another chance may you never know the inconvince of haveing to live with a mastake that has been made and you keep being the perfeact unsoild indevedual you are and for all that you bestow on others may it be returened to you 10 fold
Pennsylvannia felon

Southampton, PA

#196 Apr 2, 2013
I would like my previous comment removed. I didnt expect this website to use my IP address to track me down to my homtowne. Ths is a violation of privacy.
Reader

United States

#197 Apr 3, 2013
Some employers are felons
Kelly

South Burlington, VT

#198 Apr 25, 2013
I will not say I completely disagree with your choices. But I wil say that I disagree with putting all felons in the same catagory. I, myself am a convicted felon. I went through some pretty bad traumas and was in a bad neighborhood. I got into drugs and went downhill fast. I have since picked up the pieces and am a great worker and renter. I have worked full time for the same place for years, have 3 solid years with one landlord and was never late on my rent, not even one day. I paid my rent the day before. Faithfully. My hiring boss said that she is happy she gave me a chance. I do know, unfortunately, plenty of losers, scum, and awful people. Some of them are not felons! They have never been caught, or just rat people out. They are squatters. They ask to stay a few nights at someone's place and then refuse to leave. When the cops get called, there is nothing that can be done because they have been there for over 72 hours. I stay far away from everyone. I am very quiet and have yet to recieve a complaint. I used to be young and neive myself. Not anymore. I also will not put everyone with a felony under one catagory. I research. Call past landlords. Every single one. Call their employer. There are many things a landlord can do to get a feel for what kin of person is applying than being a person who discriminates. Where I work, I have many people who like me, and respect me. If I had to be discriminated by someone like you all the time, I would be discouraged. Why would someone change if there is no benifit to it? Homelessness leads to many problems. Being forced to live with the kind of people who will let you rent their couch does not take you out of the bad element. Instead of discriminating, how about educating yourself? You are a bad judge of character and because of that you discriminate? That's sad. And I'm sorry, but, wrong, and illegal. If you sat down and learned how to be a better judge of character (and not judge that character on someone's past) you may just meet the most loyal person ever. I truly am more loyal to the people who have given me a chance than to anything else in my life. I would rather die than lie or cheat them. I can't imagine where my life would be without them. I have met some pretty rotten felons, and non-felons. Both. I have met people who are convicted of a felony/crime because they were the easiest choice for the police department, and could not afford a lawyer who would do anything other than scare them into taking a plea. Because believing in their client would have taken work. I know someone personally who wa arrested for a crime that thy clearly didnt commit. It was 4 felony counts! Thank god they could afford an attorney who actually did work and after all that work and $3,000 was able to prove their innocents! I've seen the justice system give a felony to someone who was just sitting in a car unknowing that the person they were waiting for wa stealing inside the store! An I've also seen someone who went into a home while it was occupied and burglarized it, get convicted of a misdemeanor charge as part of a plea agreement. Don't judge a book by its cover. You never know if your judging was the worst thing. It's people like you and your thinking that prevents many people from getting a real chance at life. How does someone mak money when they are denied a job? Ummm stealing? Selling drugs? You see it many times in tv, ppl sold drugs because they got denied a job so many times and they were moments from being homeless. I am thankful to my landlord of 3 years, my current landlord, and my boss, who never gets anything but loyalty an the truth from me!
Max Factor

United States

#200 Apr 29, 2013
loose booty friday wrote:
kimberly burdine barnes bad daughter is a felon in prison right now.
Nobody is going to put up with your shit on this thread you keep this shit in Magnolia we don't want it here Posting Names on here will get this thread removed get your ass off this thread before I report your ass.
put up with it

Magnolia, AR

#201 May 1, 2013
Max Factor wrote:
<quoted text> Nobody is going to put up with your shit on this thread you keep this shit in Magnolia we don't want it here Posting Names on here will get this thread removed get your ass off this thread before I report your ass.
loose booty friday wrote:
kimberly burdine barnes bad daughter is a felon in prison right now.
Nobody is going to put up with your shit on this thread you keep this shit in Magnolia we don't want it here Posting Names on here will get this thread removed get your ass off this thread before I report your ass.

U will put up with it just like the elderly lady nikki beat and robbed hadto put up with being beaten and robbed so put up with it and we will post all names of criminals all we want just like banner news and magnolia reporter
2nd chance

Saint Paul, MN

#202 May 3, 2013
Steve wrote:
I own a business and will NOT hire a convicted felon. We all make mistakes but that is one I will not make! I have a family that works in and around my business and I will not risk there safety or my own for a felon. There are things you can do, but not for me. Feeding my family is the number one priority in my book...I can't be looking over my shoulder all the time and wonder if I am getting ripped off. I have had a few convicts in my employ and it never once worked out for the best.
You are lying. It never works out probably because you were either scared all the time or you were giving them a hard time.I have hired 127 people and 86 of those people are felons. They ve learned from their mistakes,and most of them here still working here over 6 years and they are nice people. I dont think they ever going to quit this job.$12.50 start is not bad,and .30-.50 cent a raise each year is not bad either. You call this a free country, no 2nd chance, its b*llsh*t.
2nd chance

Saint Paul, MN

#203 May 3, 2013
they government wants people to suffer, which sucks. Am going to retire next year. I wish I was not that close to retirement I could have ended up hiring only felons. working with this people and is great, because my kids who works here and had bad temper learned from this felons. so they don't make the same mistakes and It changed their lives. Everybody got their own story. I hired felons with one time everything except for murder, attempting murder,and rape, because no one deserve to be killed and or raped.
Latasha Banks

United States

#204 May 17, 2013
Sir I disagree everyone is a felon people everywhere have done horrible thing's but they haven't been caught so if YOU don't wanna give humans a chance to work that's your lost Sir.....
Bill

Cleveland, OH

#205 May 30, 2013
You may want to look at what happened to Pepsi when they discriminated against hiring felons. Hmmm. Cost them 81 million dollars. If I apply an you don't hire me if I'm qualified just because I'm a ex-felon. I WILL SUE YOU!!! and I will win. DISCRIMINATION.. Do you know what I mean hypocrite, you are a liar if you think I believe you have never broken any law. It's very easy to be a felon, do you think billionaires got there be being good honest people!!
The REAL Truth wrote:
well i guess its just more punishment. Ppl dont like to have others work for them if they have already proven in their life that they cannot do right. I myself own a business, and i do not hire anyone for any reason that has a felony on their record. Im sorry but that is and will be the way employers do things. Ppl want trustworthy, honorable, hardworking ppl to work for them. Everyone gets a chance to prove themselves in life. No matter what situation u are in from birth, everyone gets a chance to prove themselves. Your son has proven himself to be a felon. From a mothers stand point, you see your son and a changed man, but from the community and the employers standpoint, we see a person who has already screwed up. I live my life by an old saying that my father told me and i do this still to this day, "Give them a second chance, but not a third". But in the business world, ppl with records, dont get a second.
Philip from Ohio

Athens, OH

#209 Jul 28, 2013
Mr. The real truth, let me tell you something you dipshit. I am a convicted felon (when I was 17) and I am here to tell you, when ppl hear of my conviction, they usually say "the difference between me and you is that you got caught." What this translates to is that alot of ppl have broken the law and just didn't get caught. You may have hired one of these ppl and don't even know it. You are a self rightous SOB! If you make a mistake and all ppl judge you for is the time you messed up, the world would be in pretty bad shape. I have been a tax paying, productive member of society since I served my time and I'd like to see you on the other side of the fence. Your not a strong enough person to bounce back from that type of situation. You sit there on your high horse and look down your nose all you want, but I bet you have a family member or know someone by now that has got into trouble with the law but has learned from their mistake and DESERVES a chance and I hope they don't get it so you can feel what it is like and how it affects us and our families. I hope you rot in HELL you Fucking Son of a Bitch!
morris

United States

#210 Jul 29, 2013
Philip from Ohio wrote:
Mr. The real truth, let me tell you something you dipshit. I am a convicted felon (when I was 17) and I am here to tell you, when ppl hear of my conviction, they usually say "the difference between me and you is that you got caught." What this translates to is that alot of ppl have broken the law and just didn't get caught. You may have hired one of these ppl and don't even know it. You are a self rightous SOB! If you make a mistake and all ppl judge you for is the time you messed up, the world would be in pretty bad shape. I have been a tax paying, productive member of society since I served my time and I'd like to see you on the other side of the fence. Your not a strong enough person to bounce back from that type of situation. You sit there on your high horse and look down your nose all you want, but I bet you have a family member or know someone by now that has got into trouble with the law but has learned from their mistake and DESERVES a chance and I hope they don't get it so you can feel what it is like and how it affects us and our families. I hope you rot in HELL you Fucking Son of a Bitch!
You're a dick for wanting someone to rot in hell just because they voiced their opinion. Guess you didn't learn as much as you should have.
Reader

Savannah, GA

#211 Jul 29, 2013
Many prominent business and professional men commit felonies on a regular basis they pay off the cops if they get caught.or the cops work for them in the first place.You can get away with anything now days if you have the money and the right backing.and community status.with so many laws a report recently came out stating if anyone is surveilled for a long period of time they will be caught committing a felony.
Will

Hinesville, GA

#212 Aug 5, 2013
The only difference between an employer without a record and someone applying for a job with a record is that the emplyer didn't get caught. You show me someone who says they've never done anything in their life that could have gotten them in trouble with the law and I'll show you a liar.
Forgiving

El Monte, CA

#213 Aug 7, 2013
I would hate to see you or anyone close to you in the situation this young man is in! And All of society does not see convicted felons the way you do! Companies will take a chance on an illegal immigrant that could blow up the company or even worse! Instead of a convicted felon with who is qualified for the position trying to fit back into society!
The REAL Truth wrote:
well i guess its just more punishment. Ppl dont like to have others work for them if they have already proven in their life that they cannot do right. I myself own a business, and i do not hire anyone for any reason that has a felony on their record. Im sorry but that is and will be the way employers do things. Ppl want trustworthy, honorable, hardworking ppl to work for them. Everyone gets a chance to prove themselves in life. No matter what situation u are in from birth, everyone gets a chance to prove themselves. Your son has proven himself to be a felon. From a mothers stand point, you see your son and a changed man, but from the community and the employers standpoint, we see a person who has already screwed up. I live my life by an old saying that my father told me and i do this still to this day, "Give them a second chance, but not a third". But in the business world, ppl with records, dont get a second.
thats tough

Magnolia, AR

#214 Aug 12, 2013
I've been reading some of the posts and am surprised at how angrily felons respond to some of these posts. I grew up knowing the competition in real life. Sports in school and boys club taught me the rules of competition. Now getting a job is loaded with competition. So i knew growing up that you cant' be a juvenile delinquent and land the good jobs. You couldn't drop out of school and expect to be hired over someone that had the drive to finish school. competition!!! You shouldn't expect to gain employment over someone that hasn't stolen, robbed, raped, or do any other felon act from someone that has. I believe in a second chance but when it comes to committing a felony you have to ask yourself, how competent was the thinking that earned the right to be called a felon. It is a world of competition and i am glad i have a leg up over a felon. I told my son he didn't have to graduate and do good. He asked me why. I said because they will always need good ditch diggers.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#215 Aug 27, 2013
Will wrote:
The only difference between an employer without a record and someone applying for a job with a record is that the emplyer didn't get caught. You show me someone who says they've never done anything in their life that could have gotten them in trouble with the law and I'll show you a liar.
Sounds alot like...."I Don't Like, TAKING Responsibility" Spin?......
brendan

United States

#216 Sep 10, 2013
Landlord wrote:
I am a landord I own a small apartment building in St. Paul Minnesota. When I first bought the building I was naive and rented out to people with felonies . I gave them a chance. Here is my experience. the 2 renters that had felonies were absolutely the worst people to work with. They broke the windows in my property, threatened to kill me and never paid rent on time. Here is the funny thing.... the people that dont have anything on their record ALL have been good renters. DONT work with felons and dont rent to them either. NOW I NEVER rent to felons no matter how many apartment units are empty. I would rather foreclose on my property than deal with felon scum. I also own a small remodeling company. I was very young when I started it 21 and also naive . I was trying to save money on subcontractors and employees. So what did I do... I thought to myself why dont I give people with misdemeanors and felonies a chance they will WORK for anything.....well wrong again WORST EXPERIENCE of my life. the problem with hiring people with felonies or misdemeanors is being guilty by association. If your company hires a felon and he does something wrong YOU ARE SCREWED AND THE PIGS and LAWYERS will come after you and your business.
I'm a felon. I have drug charges. All I want is chance to live my life better than what I did. No one will hire me and I have to live with family. I try to keep my head up but it's hard when you're living on handouts. When I got I had nothing but my shoes, pants, and shirt that where on my back. I lost my car, my home, my girlfriend, and my job. I had nothing. All I want in this life is to be happy but that goal is really hard to achieve when everybody wants to put you down an generalize you with every bad experience they've had or not had. A chance is all I ask. Is there something wrong with someone who just wants to better themselves amd their life?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buckner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alcide Baudoin (Sep '13) 12 hr Free alC 10
Dentists Dec 19 Zach 8
Magnolians abilities to cut historical olive trees Dec 16 Observer 1
Earn free gift cards for wal-mart and other stores Dec 14 Pitforpit 1
How to (Mar '14) Dec 14 snake 19
Does anyone know a guy named Billy Pipkin is he... (Mar '12) Dec 14 donebizwhim 8
he said he loves me, but doesn't like me anymore. Dec 9 oh my 12
Buckner Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Buckner People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Buckner News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Buckner

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:16 am PST

NBC Sports11:16AM
Redskins' RG3 has full practice, probable for game - NBC Sports
NBC Sports11:54 AM
DeMarco Murray good to go for Sunday
NBC Sports12:42 PM
Could Watt be 1st NFL MVP since Taylor in 1986? - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 1:04 PM
Romo, Cowboys not backing off against Redskins - NBC Sports
Yahoo! Sports 3:01 PM
Andre Johnson surprised his uncle said he's open to a pay cut