Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel

Full story: Newsday 71,120
Safety pins and screws are still lodged in 15-year-old Ami Ortiz's body three months after he opened a booby-trapped gift basket sent to his family. Full Story

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#72346 Apr 23, 2014
ERIC,

Neither Confucius, Krishna, Buddha, Gandhi, Lao Tzu or Jesus were perfect (in fact, they were far from perfect) and so many of their teachings are questionable. In a future post, I will debunk the Golden Rule. Wait till then. Bye.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#72347 Apr 23, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!
Look at the titles of the books you posted. Do you really think Jews are the only ones who can pronounce that "Everything is God" or "A New Radical Look at what believing in god means........" Seriously.
When all else fails, just change the definitions (that is, move the goal posts).
You can call anything anything you want.
You are a theist and you believe in god. We established that a while back. Or at lest I did.
you just like to dress it up in a lot of new age language but under all those incense and naval gazing you are a traditional god-believing, good boy!!
Nothing wrong with that. Own it!
Two more books - without "radical"

http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Life-God-Dis...
The Secret Life of God: Discovering the Divine within You

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Into-Encountering-G...
The Way Into Encountering God in Judaism

Location hidden

#72348 Apr 23, 2014
BOTTOM LINE

Neither Confucius nor Krishna nor Buddha nor Gandhi nor Lao Tzu nor Jesus were perfect (in fact, they were far from perfect) and so many of their teachings are questionable.

In a future post, I will easily debunk the Golden Rule.

Bye.

Location hidden

#72349 Apr 23, 2014
GIVING MIT A MISS AT THE UNDERGRAD LEVEL

So, dear deans of the OXFORD UNIVERSITY please note that most of the top ranking Indian students will seek admission either to the IITs or in some cases to MIT to undergrad courses in STEM subjects.

At the undergrad level, the best students back here, will, in most cases, rather give MIT a miss than the IITs.

At the undergrad level, IIT is way better than MIT, whereas Oxford comes nowhere close.

Goodbye, Oxford.

“Legumes of the World Unite ”

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#72350 Apr 23, 2014
former res wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!
Look at the titles of the books you posted. Do you really think Jews are the only ones who can pronounce that "Everything is God" or "A New Radical Look at what believing in god means........" Seriously.
When all else fails, just change the definitions (that is, move the goal posts).
You can call anything anything you want.
You are a theist and you believe in god. We established that a while back. Or at lest I did.
you just like to dress it up in a lot of new age language but under all those incense and naval gazing you are a traditional god-believing, good boy!!
Nothing wrong with that. Own it!
I think where you miss on all of this is that it was NEVER my intent to argue for the existence or non existence of God. We werent discussing that. The question came up, what do Jews believe. You took the liberty of posting some basic stuff. I retorted that the breadth of Jewish beliefs on the topic was much deeper than that, and included additional god concepts as thus promoted by panentheism, pantheism, and nondualism. THEN I posted 3 (and then 2 more) books that get into greater depth on the subject - if for no other reason - to give you a taste how these alternative concepts are more mainstream than you would think.

The more scholarly of these books argue that these concepts WERE included within the mainstream of Judaism, along with conventional theistic approaches, until the mid 1800s. Sometime during the period, Jews were under pressure to assimulate in the Western countries, and these alternative approaches became associated with mysticism and became too embarrassing (this was the same period that German Jews founded the reform movement and adopted Christian worship practices). In the last 30 years there has been a renaissance of Jewish learning, and these alternative traditions have made a come back.

The whole verbiage of "radical" was to snarkily demonstrate to the reader that there is nothing that radical - that these perspectives are actually as Jewish as the theistic approach.

I dont expect you to buy into these alternative approaches any more than one would expect you to buy into theism. I just posted them to show you they are out there, and more accepted than you would think.
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
We can split hairs, but there are many different God concepts in the Jewish religion, from the God in the sky of the literal reading of the bible to various panentheistic, pantheist, and non dualistic concepts popular in Hasidism and in the Kabbala.
The citations you are quoting dont get into the issue very deeply

Location hidden

#72351 Apr 23, 2014
MIT WELCOMES TOP RANKING IIT UNDERGRADS

The best students in India, even after being selected by MIT, would rather study at IIT than at MIT at the undergrad level since they know that MIT will welcome them with open arms after they complete the undergrad degree from the IIT which ranks above MIT at the undergrad level in terms of difficulty of course work.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#72352 Apr 23, 2014
STEFANO COLONNA wrote:
<quoted text>
There are no perfect rules.
For example, a male masochist who applies the golden rule to a woman non-masochist.
True. The golden rule has some flaws. I think it is better replaced by a set of two rules:

1. Do no harm
2. Do unto others as they would do unto themselves

In essence, treat people the way they want to be treated, with the caveat that you are not to do any harm to them or others.

Location hidden

#72353 Apr 23, 2014
Nonsense. Fool. LOL.
Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

#72354 Apr 23, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
ERIC,
Neither Confucius, Krishna, Buddha, Gandhi, Lao Tzu or Jesus were perfect (in fact, they were far from perfect) and so many of their teachings are questionable. In a future post, I will debunk the Golden Rule. Wait till then. Bye.
So, this is what we have to anticipate. All of the great philosophies and all of the world religions have a rule of reciprocity--including those centered in and around India. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule Joel is going to debunk all of them. Joel knows more than all of them.

Sri Aurobindo

Once we have determined that this rule of perfect individuality and perfect reciprocity is the ideal law for the individual, the community and the race and that a perfect union and even oneness in a free diversity is its goal, we have to try to see more clearly what we mean when we say that self-realisation is the sense, secret or overt, of individual and of social development.

Location hidden

#72355 Apr 23, 2014
SMOOTH SAILING IN US GRAD SCHOOLS

Those students who do reasonably well at IIT, not to speak of the toppers, at the undergrad level, find it smooth sailing at the top grad schools in the US since the IIT course work prepares the undergrads so well to face up to the most exacting academic standards.

Location hidden

#72356 Apr 23, 2014
IRANIANS AT NASA

I hear that quite a few of the top guys at NASA are Iranians.

Location hidden

#72357 Apr 23, 2014
TEHRAN'S SHARIEF UNIVERSITY

Tehran's Sharief University is said to be the world's best undergrad school for Electrical Engineering. Their students have impressed the profs at elite US grad schools immensely with their extremely high academic standards.

I have met quite a few brilliant Iranian students at IIT (Mumbai) and always found them well prepared, focussed and fast but nothing to beat the South Korean students in Math - they're amazing. I still vividly recall their penetrating skills in Math during those years.

Location hidden

#72358 Apr 23, 2014
SOUTH KOREA - RISING TO THE TOP

From being a poor, war ravaged and enslaved nation till a few decades ago, the rise of South Korea has been phenomenal that today it ranks among the most technologically advanced nations of the world and is ranked among the top performing economies of the world.

At the IMO, South Korean students are grabbing the top slots and two years ago a team of 6 high schoolers bagged the world number slot at the IMO.

Kudos.

I foresee a very bright future for South Korea.

Location hidden

#72359 Apr 23, 2014
IMO = International Math Olympiad

Location hidden

#72360 Apr 23, 2014
TYPO

At the IMO, South Korean students are grabbing the top slots and two years ago a team of 6 high schoolers bagged the world number ONE slot at the IMO.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#72361 Apr 23, 2014
Cult of Reason wrote:
<quoted text>
True. The golden rule has some flaws. I think it is better replaced by a set of two rules:
1. Do no harm
2. Do unto others as they would do unto themselves
In essence, treat people the way they want to be treated, with the caveat that you are not to do any harm to them or others.
Words can't be tricky.

Some people may be harmed by something that other people don't. It's matter of people sensibility.

Location hidden

#72362 Apr 23, 2014
ERIC,

I am not here to placate you with sweet nods nor pamper your ego.

You can stay within the limitations of philosophies, not me.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#72365 Apr 23, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
When did I make that claim? Hint - I didnt.
And when did authors ever write their titles?
Read the actual descriptions. Thats why I posted the links. Its all about that, from the Jewish perspective, NONE of this is new. Thats the point.
<quoted text>
Again, you are going into straw man tangents
You cited a whole lot about supposedly what Jews believe. Instead of labeling that plainly superficial, and backing it up with my opinion, I chose to cite actual references that support my view. I can easily cite 3 more books that dont use the word radical....Thats not changing the goal posts.
Remember, it was you that asked what I meant by a God concept. Its you who seem to be fixated on what a God concept "should be", not us Jews. We have flexibility, as supported by those works. And others.
Needless to say, one can always cherry pick the literature to find that which they agree with or supports their position.

But this neither makes their take on things mainstream nor generally accepted by the rest of the flock.

I can find priests that say it's ok to marry or whatever but this is not the way the church sees it. Nor the rest of the parish. Nor 99% of fellow Catholics.(And some of these priests may written books.)

I post the opening paragraphs of much longer articles......by necessity, yes they begin in a very general way, much like our essays did in HS and college.

We have religious folks, theists, who believe in god (or a god concept if you prefer) and we have nonreligious folks who don't. Whether one goes to church or joins a club is beside the point in my view.

I don't say should or prescribe how something should be. I just want to keep it honest and call it what it is.

We went back and forth on this for a while back and my conclusion was essentially the same and you didn't disagree with me at the time.

So why now? You can meditate and be a good person without being a part of an organized religion. It works for you. And you wouldn't go if all those texts and traditions didn't hold meaning for you. And if you thought some old folks just made all that shxt up 6000 years ago it wouldn't be quite be the same.

You believe in god, or if you prefer a god concept.

We've done all this before. Shalom.
Eric

Arlington Heights, IL

#72366 Apr 23, 2014
JOEL COOL DUDE wrote:
ERIC,
I am not here to placate you with sweet nods nor pamper your ego.
You can stay within the limitations of philosophies, not me.
No, you are here but to give yourself platitudes by judging your own posts.
former res

Cheshire, CT

#72367 Apr 23, 2014
Frijoles wrote:
<quoted text>
Two more books - without "radical"
http://www.amazon.com/The-Secret-Life-God-Dis...
The Secret Life of God: Discovering the Divine within You
http://www.amazon.com/Way-Into-Encountering-G...
The Way Into Encountering God in Judaism
The first book is written by a rabbi about how to better experience god without all these preconceived notions of what we were taught or thought god was or should be.

"Awakened to finally experience a personal connection to God, we are at last able to receive God's love unconditionally and discover our ultimate identity, divine purpose, and true happiness."

Maybe I've lost the point.

Are you saying the author is not a theist? That he writes a book about connecting to god but doesn't believe there is a god?

I thought your articles were countering the definitions I posted of god concept, theist, jewish god concept etc.....right?

You were trying to say that you were not a theist because your belief in god is a little looser than some, correct? I think that's the part I wasn't quite buying. To me, you are a theist and think to most folks you would be.

Bottom line.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buckhorn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do you have VERIZON and you didn't have service... Dec 13 yankeedudell 2
Experience Victorian Christmas tonight at Silve... (Dec '09) Dec 9 billie 4
Dr. Twana Sparks (Dec '09) Dec 9 MSGT Don 49
* the Silver City Daily Press * Dec 9 billie 1
Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... Dec 9 billie 1
Grant Co.---rotten corner of NM (Sep '11) Dec 7 Insect Trust 44
wow! (Sep '13) Sep '13 Ayako Voisin 1
Buckhorn Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web