created by: Wow | Apr 30, 2013

Buckhannon, WV

30 votes

Should Union School be sued for excluding poor kids from trips?

Click on an option to vote

• Yes, the trip was designed to make them inferior!
  • No, we all know who set it up to feel important!
Comments
1 - 20 of 60 Comments Last updated May 10, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“.May the odds be ever with you”

Level 7

Since: Jul 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Seems to me that if there is money to sue then there should be money to send the child on the trip. Just saying!
Just Saying

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

I have personally sent extra money w/ my son, so other kids could go on trips so don't play the oh my poor kid card Union does not do that!
Parent

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

If ur not rich or in a click ur kids don't matter teachers pick their favorites and it bs

Level 6

Buckhannon

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Parent wrote:
If ur not rich or in a click ur kids don't matter teachers pick their favorites and it bs
It's ... "clique" ....

Level 7

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

Parent wrote:
I have heard that excuse for a lot of years. The school is still holding fund raisers. At least Mondays paper said so. Get out and do something. There comes a time in life that you have to stop blaming everything on "we're poor". So was I but I made sure I volunteered anytime I could and helped any way I could to make sure my child did not grow up thinking the world owed him a living. I also worked as did my husband and not at great big paying jobs. You can do what you set your mind too. Stop the blame game.
Only me

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2013

Judged:

I don't know that they should be sued. I do believe that they should plan trips that are more affordable for everyone. It's not because the kid is poor, it's because the economy sucks, people are struggling and some people just don't give a damn and think they are owed everything
How Bout

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

How Bout getting your a$$ off welfare and go get a job so you will have money to support your kid. I work hard to give my kids the opportunities that I did not have growing up. I do not waste my money on cigarettes, booze or drugs like most of the ones complaining do. You cannot punish those who work hard by telling their kids that they cannot do something because of all the lazy A&& people on welfare. Why should I have to set my standards down to the level of other people. If you cannot afford it so be it but why punish those of us who work hard to be able to afford it. As a parent, you are supposed to want what's best for your children. So buy 4 less cartons of cigarettes and send your kid on the trip. Stop being so selfish by spending all of that money on yourself and support your kids
John Galt

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

The "poor" often exclude themselves, and "Yes" their children from partaking in many opportunities available to others. This usually begins with refusing to understand the value of an education. Drop-outs are unskilled and cannot find employment which can support themselves, let alone a family. With all the spare time and welfare cash, they slip into booze and drugs. Then there is the teenage pregnant girl, who wishing to escape a dismal familky life, copulates with the first redneck meal ticket that finds her "charms" attractive...at least until after severtal romps in the back seat of an old pick-up truck. But the story for both leads to the same ending...on welfare, food stamps with a medical card, awaiting the first of the month when the EBT line-of-credit is magically replenished, and that once monthly trip to a pizzaria or McDonald's adds a glimmer of light to an otherwise miserable existance. The moral of the tale? Stay in school, get an education, and think about you and your child's future before you "hit the sack", with a dropout loser and get knocked-up!!! nuff' said!!!
Beth

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

John Galt wrote:
The "poor" often exclude themselves, and "Yes" their children from partaking in many opportunities available to others. This usually begins with refusing to understand the value of an education. Drop-outs are unskilled and cannot find employment which can support themselves, let alone a family. With all the spare time and welfare cash, they slip into booze and drugs. Then there is the teenage pregnant girl, who wishing to escape a dismal familky life, copulates with the first redneck meal ticket that finds her "charms" attractive...at least until after severtal romps in the back seat of an old pick-up truck. But the story for both leads to the same ending...on welfare, food stamps with a medical card, awaiting the first of the month when the EBT line-of-credit is magically replenished, and that once monthly trip to a pizzaria or McDonald's adds a glimmer of light to an otherwise miserable existance. The moral of the tale? Stay in school, get an education, and think about you and your child's future before you "hit the sack", with a dropout loser and get knocked-up!!! nuff' said!!!
My children don't go to Union Elementary and I am thankful. Schools should take into account that not every parent can afford to shell out $200. Field trips should be fun...not exhausting. I know there are plenty of opportunities to learn things from a DC trip but give me a break. There are plenty of places these kids can go to and learn things and they are alot closer than DC.

There is no sense in making these children feel inferior just because the parents can't afford to spend that much money. If parents are so determined that their kids get to see DC, why don't they take a family trip during the summer. Sounds to me that someone is on a power trip and is determined that this trip is a "go" for their child and don't give a crap if the other children can't go.
Adults seem to be the problem most of the time. Why don't they give the kids a list of locations and let them choose and tell them that some of their friends can't afford to go if they pick the more pricey ones and I bet the kids would choose their friends over DC.
Mama

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Seriously??!! Union School chose a field trip that costs $200. per child!! Middle income parents would be hard pressed to come up with that kind of money for a field trip, let alone lower income parents. A few years ago, we had two children going on the same field trip (1 in 4th grade & 1 in 5th grade) and there is no way we could have paid $400. for both of them to go on a field trip. JMO

Level 7

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

I would be curious to know just how many kids we are talking about not being able to go? Not names, just a number.
gracious

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

These parents have known the entire year. There is no possible way in the course of a school year a parent could not save that money. Even a single parent of multiple children on minimum wage! Trust me I have been there. Besides that, there have been multiple fundraisers to try to make it so that noone had to pay anything, and the parents outraged now are the ones who did nothing...no fundraising...I do not know why they are being defended. If you are going to start a stupid forum on here about this, tell the truth! I'm sure this pisses off the parents who have worked hard and done more than their share over the year to try and make it happen free for all the children and now to see crap like this knowing its from a parent who has done nothing and now is upset

Level 2

Since: Sep 12

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

I was a poor kid growing up but my parents still managed to get me money for field trips. Manage your money a little better and cut out stuff not needed in life.

Level 7

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

katniss 641 wrote:
I would be curious to know just how many kids we are talking about not being able to go? Not names, just a number.
I wasn't being mean. I just thought there would be something more that could be done if it wasn't a whole lot of kids. Sorry that I offended so much that I got judged. But that is the usual way. Try to do something to help and get put down. Still think its a good idea for a field trip.
magic school bus

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

200 bucks for a weekend in dc, museums, food and fuel is very affordable,and over the course of an entire school year lets say over a 9 month period, that would be around $22.22 a month. Seems very reasonable to come up with, and from what I understand the total cost of said trip would have been 400 per child I do not know that for sure but it is what has been said to me. So in saving the total full cost amount would be about 44.44 a month. Still very doable if budgeted correctly, so stop crying my poor kid should go for free and step up as a parent.
Beth

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

magic school bus wrote:
200 bucks for a weekend in dc, museums, food and fuel is very affordable,and over the course of an entire school year lets say over a 9 month period, that would be around $22.22 a month. Seems very reasonable to come up with, and from what I understand the total cost of said trip would have been 400 per child I do not know that for sure but it is what has been said to me. So in saving the total full cost amount would be about 44.44 a month. Still very doable if budgeted correctly, so stop crying my poor kid should go for free and step up as a parent.
Still, common sense should intervene and tell the idiots that choose the field trip destinations that not every child can go at that price. There is no sense in planning a trip for all the children if they can't choose a place everyone can afford. I am in the upper income level and I would find it edgy to give the school $200-$400 dollar for a field trip. That is getting shady. The BOE should consider a much cheaper trip. Why do they have to choose a place so far away that the children have to spend the night away from home.
How much supervision is there going to be? Why not make it a day trip and cut out the costs of hotel and food and the kids could pack a lunch?????? It has nothing to do with stepping up as a parent. If your so determined to take your child then by all means schedule a family trip and stop forcing the expense onto others that can't afford it. Nothing says they are on welfare or any of that crap. Poor doesn't mean welfare always. Sometimes it means a single parent working their ass off to make ends meet!!!!
who cares

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

I know for a fact that Union has students that are going hungry when they are at home and local churches are supplying these students with back packs of food to have something to eat on the weekends. Shouldn't this be taken into account with the planning of expensive field trips?
magic school bus

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

no one is forcing any expense on anyone if you dont want to send your child, then do not send them.
magic school bus

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

And If people cannot feed their children then CPS needs called, that is just down right neglect!
WHY

Buckhannon, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Stop unless you know all the facts about this trip. I do know that it is only the 5th grade going. They have been doing all kinds of stuff to rise the money so all the kids could go.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Buckhannon Forum right now

Search the Buckhannon Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WV How To Open A Beer With A Banana 35 min Ferguson nedeep i... 110
Cops at progressive bank? 1 hr yoyo 4
Name the biggest pill smokers in bu 4 hr Josh 2
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 5 hr George 56,421
WV 2 dead in explosion at W.Va. chemical plant (Dec '10) 7 hr Jimmy Love 3,940
Kaleb Loudin 14 hr Cudi 48
Debate: Ferguson - Buckhannon, WV 21 hr Strap68 9
•••
•••
•••
•••

Buckhannon Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••