Indiana cougar sightings to become common

Full story: WLFI Lafayette

Urban dwellers in Indiana can expect to see more cougars, according to a Purdue expert.

Comments (Page 6)

Showing posts 101 - 120 of125
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
moonfang

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2011

My dad said that we can't go outside! Too bad, hope they stay away from us.
The Horsemen Knew Her

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2011

Officials are covering up how many cougars are being found East of the Mississippi. Just like they denied that coyotes were moving east decades ago, or that bears are returning to old hunting grounds.
gmace

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2011

nature wrote:
like the poster said earlier Cougars and Bobcats are two very distinct species....
That is a pretty bad error. For those not familiar with the wild cats indigenous to North America it can definitely add to the confusion.
Seeing as how The DNR's around the country have a habit of telling people that "they didn't see a "Cougar"... fill in the rest
around here ppl will beg to differ they are every where they killed a horse of my cousins earlier today
LauraS

Mattoon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2011

friends of mine from Vermillion Co. IN just called to tell me that a large bobcat was found dead on the highway east of Clinton, and tracks that were too large to be a bobcat were found in the woods behind their house today. Cougar possibly? That's All we need, is for the DNR to plant them for the deer population! The stinkin' coyotes are bad enough!Now they are breeding with dogs, thus Coy/dogs who can be extremely agressive!
Jim Rockford PI

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2011

My buddy Angel said that young Cougars and Bobcats have been breeding with housecats that stay out all night.
wishladya

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

A number of years ago while visiting a friend who had a number of wild animals in cages (an African Lion, monkeys, a bear, coyotes, wolves, foxes etc. all brought to them as babies when they got too big to be pets) near Barbee Lake in NE Indiana. They had built a pen with a den in the ground for the bear. It was near 2 a.m. and we'd been playing cards. We stopped to get a snack, and I was looking out the window when I saw a bear standing on its hind legs looking into the bear cage. I assumed their bear had gotten loose. When we went out to see how it got out the bear went crashing off through the bushes. We were examining the cage to see how she got out & heard her snuffling down in her den. A boy bear had apparently come to visit her.
wishladya

Fort Wayne, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

I see a good argument for the 2nd Amendment to remain just as the Founders envisioned it. We need to be able to protect ourselves.

Been thinking of getting some chickens, but will have to redesign the chicken house & pen to keep the chickens in and the other critters out.

I would never leave a dog or cat outside without keeping a watch on it. Years ago we had to keep an eye on our livestock because people would turn their dogs loose in the Spring so as not to have to pay "dog tax" on them. They would run in packs and attack sheep and pigs and kill them. I guess the EPA and PETA haves achieved their objective of restoring the country to the animals.
Lt Theo Kojak

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 1, 2012

Crocker informs me that by law you are allowed to shoot any unleashed dogs that are chasing, attacking or harrassing any of your livestock.

Stavros says that there is a shoot on sight for Coyotes year round

Who Loves Ya Baby !!
ThAdd

Richmond, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2012

I was hunting in Randolph county with my grandma just east of Winchester in and we thought we saw a large coyote about 350 yards away then we got the binoculars and we saw the large tail and we had seen prints...... It ran off in to the woods about a min later I alway carry my shotgun no when I go to the woods
Andrew

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2012

Matthew wrote:
i saw large cat prints on my property in switserland county. i heard stories of cougar sightings in the area.then the night of 3-28-09, my friends and family members and i, heard a loud groul from the woods not far away.my sister came running in the house scared and shaken!It sounded like a cougar to us!Cougars are known to kill peaple, I will carry a gun with me when I go out in the woods from now on!
Just curious as to wich part of Switzerland Co. I had an experience with a large cat in the late 90's near the Switzerland_Ohio County lines. Recently we have had some unexplaied things sighted around my farm.
Lafayette Local

Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2012

Come to Lafayette Local to get all the latest news & updates in and about Lafayette, Indiana. LafayetteLocal.com is the premier city directory for Lafayette IN.

LafayetteLocal.com offers up to date news, weather reports, housing guides, Lafayette chat rooms, coupons & local area business discounts!

www.LafayetteLocal.com
John chase

Lafayette, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2012

I have heard about the big cat sightings in Lafayette IN for years. I was driving tonight and finally got to see one along the road. I don't know species of cats well enough to give it a name but it was solid black and a little bigger than my lab. It was a nice sight to see just upset I could not get pictures of it before it ran off. I was by Wainwright middle school where I spotted it.
Merri

Pittsboro, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2012

On April 19, 2012-I was hiking with our german shepherd along the creek at the back of our property. It is wooded on both sides. The dog and I both sensed something 3 times, like we were being watched . I also noticed there weren't any deer or raccoon tracks, which are always there. I found that odd. We started to head back home and heard a rustling in the foiliage of the island in rhe middle of the creek. I saw a Shiny, solid black,large cat-like tail flick up in the air and then down, in a smooth movement.We stood there for a couple of minutes,trying to see what it was. I realized tvis could be a dangerous situation, so i called the dog and got out of there. This was in Danvikle, north of Cartersburg, east of Clayton. I didn't hear growling, but the tail was as large as my dog's. I love the walks, but I am afraid it has taken up residence. could it have been a marten or fisher? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am putting up a hunting camera...I want to know what's out there.
Gerard

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2012

Laugh at my comment if you will but say no lie that in the central part of indiana iv seen 6 inch tracks and heard somthing growl when walking through a brush area with a friend - it scared the crap out of us and even though we had break barrels we decided to retreat....
Im not saying i encountered a m-lion , im saying i dont know what that was if anyone has a clue post it
Kelly

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

I seen a big black cat in southeastern indiana it was not a cougar but a black leopard. It had stoped on the side of the road as i passed in my car on a small back road in switzerland county. I was going slow and got a good look at it,Scared me half to death tho it was very close when i past it and my window was down.....but it had rosettes in it black fur i could see them when my car lights hit it side.Ive talked to a few people in the area and they said theres more then one... so happy hunting!
Wish I knew

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2012

Merri wrote:
On April 19, 2012-I was hiking with our german shepherd along the creek at the back of our property. It is wooded on both sides. The dog and I both sensed something 3 times, like we were being watched . I also noticed there weren't any deer or raccoon tracks, which are always there. I found that odd. We started to head back home and heard a rustling in the foiliage of the island in rhe middle of the creek. I saw a Shiny, solid black,large cat-like tail flick up in the air and then down, in a smooth movement.We stood there for a couple of minutes,trying to see what it was. I realized tvis could be a dangerous situation, so i called the dog and got out of there. This was in Danvikle, north of Cartersburg, east of Clayton. I didn't hear growling, but the tail was as large as my dog's. I love the walks, but I am afraid it has taken up residence. could it have been a marten or fisher? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I am putting up a hunting camera...I want to know what's out there.
I live on a farm in West Virginia. We have a 100 acres of land that is swarming with bear, fox, bob cats, coyotes, deer, and lots of critters. However, we do have a black cat and a mountain lion. Each deer season, the black cat gets spotted and I have pics from a trail cam. I do believe it is a fisher cat but my husband and father do not. Wish I could show you the picture. We do have a mountain lion and it is tan. No, it is not a bob cat! My father is very wise and has lived here all of his life. He knows his land and he knows what's on it. People just don't believe that mountain lions and panthers live on the East Coast but I don't care... I know they do. I am amazed at the beautiful animals and do not feel threatened by any means. They are just as scared of us......I do believe your story about what you saw and I hope you see it again. Trail cams, that's what you need. I have alot of pictures!
Bubba

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

I find it hilarious that our so called "officials" if you will, DNR etc, claim there are no big cats east of the missisippi, and even more funny when someone refers to panthers (black jaguars) as tropical cats, my families farm is in Craigsville West Virginia, my Dad grew up there, there are panthers down there on that mountain, and have been for years, my uncle had one follow him all the way up to the house before, besides my family having seen them numerous times, I now live in northern Indiana and personally know of 4 encounters with cougars at Kingsbury Fish and Wildlife in Laporte county, and just yesterday heard about a farmer in New Carslile had a horse mauled by one, they're here whether anyone wants to believe it or admit to it or not!
zip44

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2012

jay wrote:
im an avid hunter and fisherman and i live in vermillion county indiana and through out the years in my deerstand ive saw bobcats feral hogs flyin squirrels badgers and so on but the most shocking sighting i had was in 1991 i was on my way to school on the school bus out in the country quaker to be exact and we came up on the top of a hill at a stop sign and i just so happened to look to the west and i saw a jet black cat that stretched three quarters across the road it was so long and it leaped in the woods i told e body but noone saw it it was frustrating gettin someone to believe me
Maybe the cougar ate all the punctuation?
Christina Garcia

Shelby, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

I was driving from dropping my husband off at South Bend airport one night and I was sad he was going to be leaving me for 2 weeks in california so I was getting back onto the highway balling my eyes out. Im not sure exactly what highway it was but it was a curved road to get on. As I took the curve slowly I saw a big cat to the right of the road where there was alot of bushes and darkness... It was in front of me about to walk into the brush and as I approached it, it crouched down (like a cat would do if he were about to pounce) and turned back towards the road and stared at me luke he was waiting for me to pass so he could jump on my car! Needless to say I slammed my foot on the gas scared as hell and started crying even more harder and screamed all the way onto the highway. I laugh about it now but I swear it was either a cougar or mountain lion of some sort.
ken

Cloverdale, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 15, 2013

I saw a dead one that was hit by a truck or car on highway 67 about a mile south of paragon, i would have guessed it at 100-120 pounds, it had died with its eyes open and mouth open and had the unmistakable head shape and fangs of a cougar. I was unable to stop to get the carcus, the bloomington DNR acted like they didnt believe me. But I am positive what it was.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 101 - 120 of125
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Buck Creek Discussions

Search the Buck Creek Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IN IN Property Tax Cap Amendment, Public Question 1 (Oct '10) 5 hr Bounty 1,284
Fifth Street Coney Island? (Oct '10) Apr 3 Rick 8
Fourteen police officers receive recognition fo... (Apr '08) Mar 25 violated 13
dragonbane tattoo (May '12) Mar '14 Maynard G Grebs 3
Crews battle heavy smoke, house fire in Frankfort Mar '14 Little guy 1
Indiana cougar sightings to become common (Jul '08) Feb '14 Idealist 85
Purdue clears police who detained student journ... Feb '14 Idealist 2
•••
•••