First Prev
of 2
Next Last
inovermyhead

New Johnsonville, TN

#1 Jul 13, 2014
Got a summons to court for hcmc ER for an old unpaid bill. Any idea of how it will go in court?
Wow

Erin, TN

#2 Jul 13, 2014
LOL, good luck.
connhcmc

Kingsport, TN

#3 Jul 13, 2014
hcmc is a noprofit hospital not leagal to sue you for a bill
noexpert

Paris, TN

#4 Jul 13, 2014
connhcmc wrote:
hcmc is a noprofit hospital not leagal to sue you for a bill
U r a moron. They can sue. Just go to court and either pay it in full or set up a payments. The can garnish your pay check it u don't make ur pmts
InTheKnow

Metairie, LA

#5 Jul 13, 2014
noexpert wrote:
<quoted text>
U r a moron. They can sue. Just go to court and either pay it in full or set up a payments. The can garnish your pay check it u don't make ur pmts
LOL, better check your facts before calling someone a moron. You can NOT be sued for medical bills in Tennessee.
InTheKnow

Metairie, LA

#6 Jul 13, 2014
Opps, you CAN be sued, you can NOT be arrested or jailed, nor threatened with either. Sorry!
kk

Paris, TN

#7 Jul 13, 2014
Yes you can be used but usually you can work with their attorney and set up a comfortable pmt plan
freedom-eagle

Paris, TN

#8 Jul 13, 2014
They cannot force you to pay what you do not have.

At worst they set up a month payment plan of 10 to 15 dollars a month.

That's almost nothing when your total bill is in the tens of thousands but they have to accept it.

My kid had his appendix taken out in 1984 and I finally paid it off in 2006.

Just be ready to write a small check every month for the rest of your life.
been there

Paris, TN

#9 Jul 14, 2014
Call the lawyer before court and set up payments. Then you dont even have to go to court. They do charge interest and court fees.
not a free service

United States

#10 Jul 15, 2014
It's not a free service... pay your bill... even it's $10.00 a month.

Too many people use the ER for the family doctor they don't have and then expect to get a free ride. Or every time their kid sneezes they run to the ER... no wonder insurance is so high.

Those of us who pay our bills are footing the bills for the others who abuse the system.
Matlock

Kingsport, TN

#11 Jul 22, 2014
Let's just clear up a couple of things.

1. Yes, they can and will sue you.
2. I would not miss my court date even if you could. Not wise.
3. If you think paying $10 a month is something they have to accept, you're wrong. They can also pursue other methods of collections. And while you might slide by for a while jerking the system around, you'll be the one worried about it and hassled, not them. So do what your conscience will allow.
4. It doesn't matter if anyone is non-profit. That's a tax status not a designation that keeps them from pursuing collections. What an idiot for saying such. lol
5. You should go to court and man up. Pay up. And don't let these low performers guide you otherwise.
MikeB

Paris, TN

#12 Jul 22, 2014
Yeah, people should totally listen to some random internet dude calling himself Matlock. At leats 3 of this retards points are dead wrong. He probably works for HCMC, at least that's what his post sounds like.
Hmmm

Kingsport, TN

#13 Jul 26, 2014
You got him MikeB! Your name carries alot more credibility than Matlock. And if I was in trouble with the hospital I'd go with our advice and ignore Matlock. Your post really seems better written and fact based.

Attention all posters, take MikeB's advice over any other!

Peace.
AnnMarie

Puryear, TN

#14 Jul 26, 2014
I worked for a Debt Collection Agency, where we only collected on Hospital bills and some doctors offices. Matlock had it correct. In TN, you CAN be sued. You can at first set up a payment plan. But they're more than likely going to want proof of income so they can set up according to your income. Important thing is to get your payments sent in every month on time. Same time every month.
Matlock

Kingsport, TN

#15 Jul 26, 2014
Watch out AnnMarie, you're messing with MikeB and he knows more than most! But I appreciate you backing up what I said. These knuckleheads like MikeB watch TV or hear their BFF's talking about their drama and go around spreading it like they know something.

Inovermyhead, better listen to me and AnnMarie, we know. And ignore this sack of poo calling himself MikeB.
MikeB

Paris, TN

#16 Jul 27, 2014
Matlock wrote:
Inovermyhead, better listen to me and AnnMarie, we know.
Yes, they're bound to prove their credentials any minute now. Right guys? We're waiting.

My point, you fucking moron, was that no one should go on a random message board asking for legal advice. Had you bothered to pay attention to my post instead of immediately acting like an immature little twat you'd have realized that.

Any retard with a keyboard can spew whatever nonsense they like and you'd have no way of knowing whether the information was accurate or not. This entire thread is full of conflicting information, yet this person is expected to just trust you and your fake name over anyone else?

Get over yourself. You and "AnnMarie" here (assuming you aren't the same person) can blow your condescending attitudes out your asses.
Mission Accomplished

Kingsport, TN

#17 Jul 28, 2014
LOL, MikeB, you about to have a stroke buddy? Just can't accept being wrong huh? Okay. I'm good. Next!
MikeB

Paris, TN

#18 Jul 29, 2014
Mission Accomplished wrote:
LOL, MikeB, you about to have a stroke buddy? Just can't accept being wrong huh? Okay. I'm good. Next!
Nope. Just waiting for the so-called "experts" to prove the info they've given. So far they have failed to do so. It's up to them to back up the statements they've made, not me.

But since you seem to be one of them, maybe you can help them out? Take your time. We'll be waiting.
against dopers

Paris, TN

#19 Oct 17, 2014
Matlock wrote:
Let's just clear up a couple of things.
1. Yes, they can and will sue you.
2. I would not miss my court date even if you could. Not wise.
3. If you think paying $10 a month is something they have to accept, you're wrong. They can also pursue other methods of collections. And while you might slide by for a while jerking the system around, you'll be the one worried about it and hassled, not them. So do what your conscience will allow.
4. It doesn't matter if anyone is non-profit. That's a tax status not a designation that keeps them from pursuing collections. What an idiot for saying such. lol
5. You should go to court and man up. Pay up. And don't let these low performers guide you otherwise.
In state of TN:
Under $50: considered uncollectable & not likely 2 go 2 court. Will not report on credit.
$50 & over: can b turned over 2 collections (additional fee added). Reports on credit for 7 yrs. Can go 2 court (court fees added). Can b persued on 7yrs after date of service/last pmnt.
*small pmnts do not stop/suspend collection process. Most require $25-$50 min pmnt monthly. If it goes to court, min pmnt can b $50-$100.
*if goes 2 court & judgement: garnishment can b done (approx $100 monthly) & this is additional fee to ur acct. Goes on credit when suit is filed. Garnishment/possession of ur personal property can begin approx 10 days after judgement. The plaintiff can persue ur personal property/persue garnishment for 7yrs aftr judgemnt.
Broken

Paris, TN

#20 Oct 18, 2014
against dopers wrote:
<quoted text>
In state of TN:
Under $50: considered uncollectable & not likely 2 go 2 court. Will not report on credit.
$50 & over: can b turned over 2 collections (additional fee added). Reports on credit for 7 yrs. Can go 2 court (court fees added). Can b persued on 7yrs after date of service/last pmnt.
*small pmnts do not stop/suspend collection process. Most require $25-$50 min pmnt monthly. If it goes to court, min pmnt can b $50-$100.
*if goes 2 court & judgement: garnishment can b done (approx $100 monthly) & this is additional fee to ur acct. Goes on credit when suit is filed. Garnishment/possession of ur personal property can begin approx 10 days after judgement. The plaintiff can persue ur personal property/persue garnishment for 7yrs aftr judgemnt.
Again, in this economy, it is really simple, can't take what you don't have, court or not. Debtor's prison done away with eons ago, Audit your records, record every item, line by line, I found several bookkeeping errors on mine, double billing etc, save for court talking to them is useless. Also, if they refuse payment, record all conversation because denying payment means another legal loophole. Goodluck

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buchanan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Phillip Nelson 8 min Smdh 6
jamye myrick (Sep '14) 10 min Killingme 7
Will Fottest 16 min Yep 37
What was I thinking 53 min Allofyou 20
Jessica Dailey Charles 56 min Josh 2
Puryear Shooting 1 hr Today 3
Tayra hoofman 2 hr Okkkkk12345 7

Buchanan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance