35 years in prison pleases cop dad

35 years in prison pleases cop dad

There are 165 comments on the The Jackson Sun story from Jun 26, 2007, titled 35 years in prison pleases cop dad. In it, The Jackson Sun reports that:

“We felt we had a good case. April's our main witness. She had been through so much. We let her decide if she wanted it to go to trial.”

McKenzie Police Sgt. Jackie Sykes said Monday that he is pleased with the 35-year prison sentence that Virgil Samuels received for kidnapping and brutally attacking Sykes' daughter, April, in November 2005. via The Jackson Sun

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Jackson Sun.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
brittney

United States

#1 Jul 17, 2007
I think that this is a bunch of bullshit!!!!
Their is always 2 sides of a story!! Damn!!! Can he get a 1 hour on the Montell Williams show???!!! Paris is a small town and if you know anything about it then you already know that it is pretty much based on mionrity! Her father being a police/ex D.A.R.E officer helps the situation a whole lot!!! Suppose it was a black female raised on section 8??? Would it be any different??? I THINK HE IS INNOCENT AND DESERVES A FAIR TRIAL!!!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
last of a dyin breed

United States

#2 Jul 17, 2007
I know the man pleaded guilty but if u look at the case he didn't have any other choice. He was in a town where he didn't have the upper hand and the girls dad was a cop! It was either 35 or life which would u choose? There was more people there that know more about the situation at hand. All I am saying is can the brother get a fair trial?
bowhunter669

Benton, KY

#3 Jul 22, 2007
The "brother" had the young lady's boyfriend locked in the trunk while he was raping her. The boyfriend escaped and alerted Police. So the "brother" was looking at two witnesses whom were there. The "brother" should be set on fire and stabbed as was miss Sykes.

Since: Jun 07

Columbia, TN

#4 Jul 29, 2007
May God have mercy on the soul of this brother. He admitted doing it. Who treats their fellowman in such cruel, inhumane ways? There are monsters among us.
Crys

United States

#5 Jul 29, 2007
I think you should be ashamed of yourself. I am a former co-worker of Jackie Sykes and, in my opinion, 35 years is quite leanient compared to what he should have gotten. I don't care what race Samuels is, No human being should ever have to go through what April went through and...to assume that any US court would put an innocent man behind bars solely because he is black is absurd. Also remember that Brandon McMinn survived and can account for some of what happened.
Running for months on end, in itself, is an action of guilt and the fact that he admitted it was just icing on the cake...Read the following carefully and put yourself, or your child (if you have any) in HER place...Black, white, indian, or asian...he should have been put to death for half of what he did...revived and executed again.

["The series of events began in the parking lot of a restaurant in Paris. Samuels reportedly abducted Sykes and her ex-boyfriend, Brandon McMinn. Samuels choked the ex-boyfriend of April Sykes, Brandon McMinn, into unconsciousness and chased Sykes, who had fled the driver seat of her Chevrolet Malibu. He captured her and forcefully returned her to the vehicle where Samuels knocked out the window and forced McMinn into the trunk of the vehicle.

Samuels drove to a cemetery in Paris, where he dragged Sykes into a ravine area, raped and assaulted her repeatedly.

Samuels then drove the Malibu further away from the cemetery, backed into a driveway and obtained a can of gasoline. Throughout the drive, Samuels continued to assault Sykes, forcing her to lie down in the seat.

At some unknown point, McMinn was able to escape from the trunk of the vehicle.

Samuels drove to an isolated field road off Van Dyke Grove Road where an additional rape and violent assault occurred. He also stabbed her, leaving her in a state of semi-consciousness, and attempted to run over her on the field road...He locked her in the trunk of the vehicle and set her and the vehicle on fire. He poured gasoline on the victim and the car.

Despite the fright, shock, and terror of being burned alive, Sykes somehow located the trunk emergency latch and somehow struggled for her life to make it to the hard surface road.
"]
brittney wrote:
Their is always 2 sides of a story!! Damn!!! Can he get a 1 hour on the Montell Williams show???!!! Paris is a small town and if you know anything about it then you already know that it is pretty much based on mionrity! Her father being a police/ex D.A.R.E officer helps the situation a whole lot!!! Suppose it was a black female raised on section 8??? Would it be any different??? I THINK HE IS INNOCENT AND DESERVES A FAIR TRIAL!!!!!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
riiight

Springville, TN

#6 Nov 8, 2007
I DO know something about Paris, seeing as how I was raised there. I also know Virgil. The fact that April was a police officer's daughter helped put the icing on the "he had it coming" cake, but Virgil baked that cake all by himself. It wouldn't have mattered who it was.

The minority card really can't be played here... because it seems like you are suggesting that he is innocent *because* he's black and she's the white daughter of a cop. That makes no sense. I'm sure during the course of the attack, she got a gooood look at him. Accept it, and don't bring his race into it. I happen to know that he has a younger brother that turned out just fine.
brittney wrote:

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#7 Nov 11, 2007
If he did the crime and was convicted, he has no reason to complain about the sentence he was given. His skin color doesn't change the fact of his guilt.

Listen, some of you out there need to get a clue: if he's guilty, HE'S GUILTY AND DESERVES PUNISHMENT. He doesn't become NOT guilty simply by virtue of his skin pigmentation.

United States

#8 Nov 11, 2007
My feelings exactly, Roberta G!

Location hidden

#9 Nov 11, 2007
Thanks, Madee, and good to see you :)

United States

#10 Nov 11, 2007
Good to see you, too, Roberta! I have taken a break from some of the threads you have seen me on. It's good to run into you, here, of all places, and denie, on Erleichda baby, Lighten up....

Peace and blessings to you, Roberta!

Location hidden

#11 Nov 12, 2007
Yes, I'm taking a bit of a break from the same thread, but will be going back to it soon :)

But between now and the end of the year, I'm going to have to force myself to cut back on topix-time! Like most people, I'll be all too busy for the next six weeks. Can you believe Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK???
Kansas

Deerfield, IL

#12 Nov 15, 2007
I am sure that miss brtiney up there would change her tune if it would have been her or someone she loves. I rode a school bus with April all of my child hood. No body deserves to go through what she has. Virgil got away to easey!
for sure

Cordova, TN

#14 Aug 5, 2008
i know for a fact that mr. samuels is innocent!!!! he is a very good father,uncle,son,brother and friend no matter what anybody thinks. has anybody thought WHY he would all of a sudden just "turn violent"??? Nobody will ever know the REAL truth.. do people actually realize that ms. sykes wasn't MISS Perfect either??? she has had drug problems and of course no one has heard about her DUI's and cocaine habit!!!!
mr. samuels is not a violent person at all. he deserves to be FREEEEEEEE!!!!
one day the truth will finally come out!!!!

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#15 Aug 5, 2008
for sure wrote:
i know for a fact that mr. samuels is innocent!!!! he is a very good father,uncle,son,brother and friend no matter what anybody thinks. has anybody thought WHY he would all of a sudden just "turn violent"??? Nobody will ever know the REAL truth.. do people actually realize that ms. sykes wasn't MISS Perfect either??? she has had drug problems and of course no one has heard about her DUI's and cocaine habit!!!!
mr. samuels is not a violent person at all. he deserves to be FREEEEEEEE!!!!
one day the truth will finally come out!!!!
Keep your crime in Memphis and we shall all get along.
dixie chick

Washington, MO

#16 Aug 5, 2008
You know i know for a fact that if you are well known in paris or dover nothing will happen about a crime they committed. My son lost his life in dover because of his so called friends and a couple that was throwing a b/d party for there daughter and that they was serving beer and cocaine to all these minors there. But since they were close to the law there they would not investigate my sons death and the so called friends got away with murdering my son. But they have to answer to god at the end and thats what i am waiting for! Thanks to all his so called friends for lieing to me. The only one that could and would of saved him that night would of been jeremy and jessie, wished you could of been there for him.

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

Paris, TN

#17 Aug 6, 2008
dixie chick wrote:
You know i know for a fact that if you are well known in paris or dover nothing will happen about a crime they committed. My son lost his life in dover because of his so called friends and a couple that was throwing a b/d party for there daughter and that they was serving beer and cocaine to all these minors there. But since they were close to the law there they would not investigate my sons death and the so called friends got away with murdering my son. But they have to answer to god at the end and thats what i am waiting for! Thanks to all his so called friends for lieing to me. The only one that could and would of saved him that night would of been jeremy and jessie, wished you could of been there for him.
I know Jeremy. Didn't you slap a $500,000 judgement on him? He was at fault because he was the one driving.
Jenny

Paris, TN

#18 Oct 23, 2008
brittney wrote:
You should be ashamed! I live in Paris, TN and personally know Jackie & his daughter. Jackie is a wonderful man who is always available to help out his neighbors. Because of this whole fiasco, He has lost his home paying for medical & legal fees.
It dosen't matter if April was white or black or green, and it dosen't matter if Virgil was either.
What he did is NOT ok, and should not have to be endured by anyone. I hope the sick guy rots in jail for what he did to a young lady.
krissy de lornes

United States

#19 Oct 25, 2008
lets give the black man another free ride.
anon

Union City, TN

#20 Nov 3, 2008
Roberta G wrote:
If he did the crime and was convicted, he has no reason to complain about the sentence he was given. His skin color doesn't change the fact of his guilt.
Listen, some of you out there need to get a clue: if he's guilty, HE'S GUILTY AND DESERVES PUNISHMENT. He doesn't become NOT guilty simply by virtue of his skin pigmentation.
Very good pt. however had it been anyone else's child what would have happened?
Good Deal

Gatlinburg, TN

#21 Nov 3, 2008
I'll bet this sentence will act as a pretty good deterent should anyone decide they want to try or do something similiar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buchanan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shelby McMurray 1 hr Baller 5
Tosh 1 hr Step off 1
Emily Chamness? 2 hr Anonymous 1
Woodys 2 hr Jamie 9
Wayne Virva 2 hr Thisdumbbitch 12
Kelly Jackson (Jun '10) 7 hr repl 001 14
people stop calling me for roof estjmates 8 hr Wow 24

Buchanan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance