how do you like living there?

Posted in the Buchanan Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Sam Williams

Littleton, CO

#1 Mar 20, 2006
Hi,we are from Colorado and looking for a change. How does anyone like Murray or areas around Murray? Got any advice on a good place to come visit for a possible great place to raise children in your area? We happen to stop by Murray on a resent road trip and found it to be friendly..........but don't know much about it. Anyone care to comment?
j l hudgins

Hickory, KY

#2 Mar 23, 2006
murray is a good town but if you are looking for cheep tax move across the line in tennessee we live in buchanan tn and do most of our shoping in murray ky
j l hudgins

Hickory, KY

#3 Mar 23, 2006
we live in buchanan tn about 20 miles from murray thats where we do most of our shopping
don taylor

Hickory, KY

#4 Mar 23, 2006
buchanan is a great place to live
Sam Williams

Aurora, CO

#5 Mar 26, 2006
Hi, thanks to each of you for your comments. That's good to know about the taxes, our taxes are crazy high here! We will definetly check on Buchanan!
Thanks again for your time!
Sam
Shannon

Joliet, IL

#6 May 2, 2006
I lived in Murray for 4 years in the early 90's. I am originally from Chicago and live there now as well. i loved Murray. I hear it has changed a bit with it not being a dry county anymore (which I liked having by the way) but the people are friendly, it is considerablly safer and the feeling of a smaller town but your only an hour away from Paducah makes it not too small. I have friends that live there to this day and I would move back in a heart beat!
Good Luck on your search
Phyllis Rogers

Leawood, KS

#7 May 5, 2006
j l hudgins wrote:
murray is a good town but if you are looking for cheep tax move across the line in tennessee we live in buchanan tn and do most of our shoping in murray ky
Do you know anything about Puryear Tennessee? I use to visit there when I was a child and still have some family there.
jerry watkins

Hickory, KY

#8 Jan 16, 2007
puryear used to be a nice place to live, until mark lane moved his junkyard to cherry st. then all the trash followed. the city does nothing to make him clean it up. stay away from this town.
greg and deb

Delavan, WI

#9 Jan 16, 2007
Don my husband and I just bought 25 acres in buchanan,we will be moving there this summer.I am pleased to hear positive things about our future homesite area.My husband picked the property out without me even seeing it and bought it!I have seen it since and am excited to start our new life there.we have 2 horses and a chocolate lab.Do you know of anyone who sells good horse hay in that area?we'd be pleased in doing business with them.
don taylor wrote:
buchanan is a great place to live
new to murray

AOL

#10 Mar 2, 2007
Just moved to murray about a month ago,and love it! Anyone know of any good jobs in or around murray?I really would appreciate any help.
m gilger

Coldwater, MI

#11 Mar 21, 2007
my oldest daughter will be going to murray state in the fall of 2008 and we are all moving down with her,we live in michigan now and there are 6 of us anyone have any tips and how about jobs any good ones thanks
Crystal

United States

#12 Apr 4, 2007
m gilger wrote:
my oldest daughter will be going to murray state in the fall of 2008 and we are all moving down with her,we live in michigan now and there are 6 of us anyone have any tips and how about jobs any good ones thanks
I actually live in Paris, but I work in Murray at Cracker Barrel on the weekends. For a college town, Murray still has a small town feel. Traffic is kind of nerve racking, but all in all, I love Murray. I believe there are a few factories. There are quite a few resturants, retail stores, and whatnot. Murray State is a great school, too, by the way!
Diamond DEX

Morehead, KY

#13 May 25, 2007
I wonder about the Murray and Mayfield area if theirs any work their for someone in Direct care.
Notjoebob

Milwaukee, WI

#14 Jun 20, 2007
Murray is a great place to live if you have a job or are retired. Good jobs are not easy to find in this area, even if you have a degree. I love it here, but I would advise anyone thinking of moving here to look into jobs before they move here.

Good luck
dont go there

Franklin, TN

#15 Jun 20, 2007
Diamond DEX wrote:
I wonder about the Murray and Mayfield area if theirs any work their for someone in Direct care.
...Mayfield is a town that has been over run by crooked government and mexicans...murray is your best bet but Paducah is better as far as work....
Mayfield Born MSU Grad

AOL

#16 Jul 6, 2007
I find it interesting that many of the folks answering this question can't spell, nor do they have a great command of the English language. I can say with confidence that
1) Kentucky is my home, but it's changed a great deal, there are no jobs, and the coal mines destroyed most of the land (Muhlenberg County is my home and it looked like the surface of the moon when Peabody, Sinclair and other coal companies finished with it);
2) Murray State University has always been a great place to live and go to college, but;
3) One should get out in the world and find out about "mexicans" and others, develop a world view.

I hope that, if you do move from Denver to the Murray area, you manage to meet some people who are more enlightened, intelligent, fair, kind, open-minded, interesting and wittier than some of these rubes.
Murray Girl

United States

#17 Jul 23, 2007
I grew up in Murray and went to MSU briefly. While at the time I hated it, and could not wait to get out in the world and find out about "mexicans" and develop my own world views, after seeing the world and much of the US, now I would move back there in a minute.(BTW, there are even mexicans in Murray now, which isn't a bad thing if they would learn the ENGLISH language!)

My parents have lived there for 38 years (still do) and it is a great little town, but you definitely need to find work before you move there. I live in Nashville, TN now, which is only 2 hrs away and always love to go "home" whenever I can.

It is a great place to raise a family. Although it is a growing city and there is still crime, it in no way compares to anyplace you will ever live. The public schools are good, the people are friendly and accepting, and the cost of living isn't terribly high.

Don't think for a minute that the fools that are posting on here that cannot read, write, or spell came from Murray! I am sure that there are some in Murray that are afflicted with illiteracy, but most of our parents taught us better than that!

Good Luck!

“Howdy”

Since: Dec 06

United States

#18 Jul 24, 2007
My mother lives in Buchanan, Tennessee and she goes to Murray a lot to save on money.
She saves on taxes and she gets a discount for being a senior citizen.
So once a month she really loads down her vehicle with grocerys.
raven

Bowling Green, KY

#19 Oct 18, 2009
I WAS BORN AND RAISED IN PURYEAR WENT TO THE SCHOOL MY MOTHER AND FATHER ARE STILL THERE TO THIS DATE PURYEAR HAS ITS GOOD POINTS AND BAD
BUT LIKE MY GRANDFATHER SAID YOU NEVER LEAVE
NUF SAID
on the lake

Boaz, KY

#20 Oct 18, 2009
I've lived all over the world and all over the U.S. and I've never met so many F**KED UP people as I have in west Kentucky. Stay away... far away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buchanan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
danica crisell (Aug '13) 1 hr Nah_bruh 37
does anyone know him? 1 hr Floyd 4
Reddit 4 hr rolo 1
Kelsey Underwood 13 hr Kelsey 3
carlton? Mon Curiositybites 5
bi guys in paris tn ;) Mon Kelsey 2
Tittie bars in Henry County? Mon Mickey 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buchanan Mortgages