Comments
21 - 40 of 51 Comments Last updated Jun 11, 2013
Just the Facts Jack

Macon, GA

#22 May 22, 2013
Small minded people wrote:
<quoted text>
How interesting would life be if people would STOP watching the idiot tube with all the mindless, useless CRAP it feeds us and actually do something meaningful????
You really got me thinking! What would everyone do if there was no TV, Internet, computers, autos, air conditioning, lights, washing machines, dryers, refrigerators and all other electrical appliances.

It can happen. so what do we do? I guess we watch all the crap while we can, and hope that NCIS continues until I die. Thanks for making me apprecaiate this crappy programming a little more.
Read

Carrollton, GA

#23 May 22, 2013
Just the Facts Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
You really got me thinking! What would everyone do if there was no TV, Internet, computers, autos, air conditioning, lights, washing machines, dryers, refrigerators and all other electrical appliances.
It can happen. so what do we do? I guess we watch all the crap while we can, and hope that NCIS continues until I die. Thanks for making me apprecaiate this crappy programming a little more.
People might start reading a enjoying life again like the simple things.

“Get off my lawn”

Since: Jul 10

Bremen, GA

#24 May 23, 2013
Just the Facts Jack wrote:
We'd live in houses with windows open, we'd have hand fans, we'd walk or ride a horse, we'd use kerosene lamps or candles, we'd hand wash clothes and hang them on a line to dry, we'd only prepare as much food as we'd eat at a single meal, and in our spare time we'd read, play games with each other, tell stories, sing around the family piano, and sit on the front porch and say "Howdy" to the neighbors.

Heck, we might even get know who are neighbors are!

You know, the way our grandparents lived life. I could do it. Could you?
anon

Carrollton, GA

#25 May 23, 2013
wobbler1957 wrote:
<quoted text>
We'd live in houses with windows open, we'd have hand fans, we'd walk or ride a horse, we'd use kerosene lamps or candles, we'd hand wash clothes and hang them on a line to dry, we'd only prepare as much food as we'd eat at a single meal, and in our spare time we'd read, play games with each other, tell stories, sing around the family piano, and sit on the front porch and say "Howdy" to the neighbors.
You are so full crap.You would be the first one freaking out just knowing you were not able to stir up shit on a daily basis.You couldn't handle not being able to feed your face at all the fast food joints in Bremen.SMH!

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#26 May 23, 2013
You make me laugh. I grew up in the 60's, and actually lived this way. I remember when we got our first window AC unit, in Florida. The school wasn't even air conditioned!

I cook supper every single night, and I can easily go for weeks and months without the internet. I know how to use those arcane things called "books", you know.

I honestly wouldn't miss technology one tiny little bit.

“Mess with these Claws......”

Since: Oct 09

Villa Rica, GA

#27 May 23, 2013
I also grew up in a time where there were very few modern conveniences. Three channels on the black and white TV so hours were not spent glued in front of the tube. No AC in the schools or homes. My parents did eventually get a small AC unit for their bedroom. You relied on fans and open windows for a little comfort. Clothes were hung on the line outside to dry. Less modern conveniences allowed families to be close and have more family time together. Kids played OUTSIDE all day(less obesity in kids then as compared to now). We used our minds and became creative.

I admit, I would miss a few of the modern technologies, computer, cell phone. I don't watch much TV so wouldn't miss that at all. Heck, I don't even need a TV in my house. I haven't even upgraded to a smart phone, I don't live on my cell phone, I use it to make calls, that is all I need it for. I like knowing help is a phone call away if stranded by car etc. Too many people live their lives on their cell phones. Kinda would be nice to be back in those times of lesser modern conveniences.

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

#28 May 23, 2013
octoberK wrote:
I also grew up in a time where there were very few modern conveniences. Three channels on the black and white TV so hours were not spent glued in front of the tube. No AC in the schools or homes. My parents did eventually get a small AC unit for their bedroom. You relied on fans and open windows for a little comfort. Clothes were hung on the line outside to dry. Less modern conveniences allowed families to be close and have more family time together. Kids played OUTSIDE all day(less obesity in kids then as compared to now). We used our minds and became creative.
I admit, I would miss a few of the modern technologies, computer, cell phone. I don't watch much TV so wouldn't miss that at all. Heck, I don't even need a TV in my house. I haven't even upgraded to a smart phone, I don't live on my cell phone, I use it to make calls, that is all I need it for. I like knowing help is a phone call away if stranded by car etc. Too many people live their lives on their cell phones. Kinda would be nice to be back in those times of lesser modern conveniences.
You probably even drank water from a garden house and somehow did not die! Get one of the little punks to try water from a garden hose.

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#29 May 23, 2013
There's nothing better than cold cold water from a garden hose after mowing the lawn, is there? Or the smell of sheets and towels that have dried out in the sun...

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#30 May 23, 2013
wobbler1957 wrote:
There's nothing better than cold cold water from a garden hose after mowing the lawn, is there? Or the smell of sheets and towels that have dried out in the sun...
There is nothing to compare garden hose water to.
Ranger

Douglasville, GA

#31 May 24, 2013
wobbler1957 wrote:
I loved Andy Griffith.
Maybe it's the way the show is advertised on whatever channel it's on. It seems to me they're going out of their way (the channel) to emphasize how silly and dumb the SOUTHERN people are, and I resent the hell out of that.
It has nothing to do with not liking pleasant family oriented shows. It has everything to do with disliking my culture and heritage being made fun of.
I might give it a try.
Because Ernest T. Bass and the Darling family aren't silly and dumb in their portrayal of Southerners?

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#32 May 24, 2013
Ranger wrote:
<quoted text>
Because Ernest T. Bass and the Darling family aren't silly and dumb in their portrayal of Southerners?
To be fair, look at the cast of "Cheers" to see some dumb folks up north.

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#33 May 24, 2013
True, true... or "Friends".

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#34 May 24, 2013
wobbler1957 wrote:
True, true... or "Friends".
How about "Laverne and Shirley"? lol!

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#35 May 25, 2013
Or "Roseanne"!!

“Unions are still scum ”

Atlanta

#36 May 26, 2013
wobbler1957 wrote:
Or "Roseanne"!!
Well the main star of that show is clearly a nut.
misticosombrero

Cedartown, GA

#37 May 26, 2013
wobbler1957 wrote:
<quoted text>
i could, and have,but wouldn't like it today. i'm older than you wobbler and remember having to use at one time or another all you cite above (conversely, being WITHOUT all the modern HOUSEHOLD conveniences of today); even had to bathe in the creek when we visted 1 of my Aunt and Uncle's...had to watch for the leeches afterward, too; no biggie for us kids, but being a grown-up, pumping water from a hand-pump in buckets, heating it on the stove (electric I might add, not wood-burning) and taking a bath to go to work?...UNH-UH...don't want to go back to those times.

i like flipping a light switch for light, washing machines and dryers for my clothes, cable TV, the wonder of air-conditioning, and cell phones. I like the internet dfor the ease of gathering information, shopping and commu8nicationg with businesses and frineds and family.

Do i want to go back to the old tuimes? Absolutely not. Societally?=A BIG Yes.

wobbler, you might could do it...but do you REALLY want to? i for one do not.
misticosombrero

Cedartown, GA

#38 May 26, 2013
wobbler1957 wrote:
You make me laugh. I grew up in the 60's....I honestly wouldn't miss technology one tiny little bit.
Bull! how about your clotheswasher, clothesdryer (and hairdryer), DISHWASHER, air conditioning, electricity, INDOOR plumbing and a hot-water-heater(yes, a shower with HOT water), NOT going to a cold outhouse (in the daytime, MUCH LESS at night)?

washing your clothes by hand and hanging them out to dry? balderdash....what did you do in the dead-of-winter?...or when it rained for several days?

i do agree with you about books, and lament the day that video games mucked-up so much of the kids time outdoors. althoug i like renting movies.

i know all my neighbors, visit the library, read voraciously, use the heck out of my cell phone, and my computer, watch/read/listen to news all the time, travel in my air-conditioned car.

back to the old days?'fraid not.

“Get off my lawn”

Bremen, GA

#39 May 26, 2013
When I say "technology" I mostly mean computers and everything that came with them. Would I want to live like my great-grandparents, without CH/A or cars or electricity or indoor plumbing? No, but I could if I had to.

Incidentally, when it rained or was too cold to hang clothes outside, you hung them inside -- down in the basement if you had one, or in the hallway if you didn't. I remember dodging wet clothes and sheets when I was a kid. We never had a dryer the whole time I was growing up.

Going to the outhouse at night wasn't an issue if you had chamberpots!

I still don't have a cell phone. I just don't feel the need to be that connected, or that available.
MamaJune

Decatur, GA

#40 Jun 6, 2013
The way Honey Boo Boo throws her pouty temper tantrums reminds me of a Woman from Bremen! Lol.... You know who you are!
seriously

Carrollton, GA

#41 Jun 7, 2013
I'm sure the Robinson crew are laughing all the way to he bank..These people are very educated and have more money than any of you people will ever have.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buchanan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cedartown Automotive 2 hr hootchie 2
HBO and Homo 2 hr be real 15
Bremen Football 6 hr 4OSM 29
cms lice 6 hr robbie s 5
Buchanan PD 8 hr Dingo5 17
preschool 9 hr preschoolmom 5
Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 11 hr rename 53,508
•••

Buchanan News Video

•••
•••

Buchanan Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Buchanan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••