Haralson County Firefighter Criticall...

Haralson County Firefighter Critically Injured from a Fall at the Fire Station

Posted in the Buchanan Forum

Concerned Mother

Villa Rica, GA

#1 Jan 25, 2014
I am a Haralson County taxpayer and I, like everyone else, feels that we are over-taxed from the local level to the federal level. That said, we must not allow this to happen again. Our county firefighters are at those fire stations by themselves and anything can happen. The fireman that was injured was using a ladder to light the heat unit and the ladder came out from under him. He was unconscious for 2 hours. It's time that we put at least two fireman at each station. The fire department does a great job with very little resources. My son is a firemen and it scares me to death to know he is there alone. A fall, heart attack, stroke will kill them and no one will know. Let's support our firemen!!
Taxpayer

Villa Rica, GA

#2 Jan 26, 2014
Or just close a lot of stations. If you feel that we are overtaxed, this is the single largest waste of taxpayer money in the county by far. We need 2 stations at the very most. There are only roughly 25k residents here. Especially if we can get an ambulance service that actually works and isn't just a cash cow for someone.

“Home In Georgia Now”

Since: Jul 07

The "City of Gold" in Georgia

#3 Jan 26, 2014
Concerned Mother wrote:
I am a Haralson County taxpayer and I, like everyone else, feels that we are over-taxed from the local level to the federal level. That said, we must not allow this to happen again. Our county firefighters are at those fire stations by themselves and anything can happen. The fireman that was injured was using a ladder to light the heat unit and the ladder came out from under him. He was unconscious for 2 hours. It's time that we put at least two fireman at each station. The fire department does a great job with very little resources. My son is a firemen and it scares me to death to know he is there alone. A fall, heart attack, stroke will kill them and no one will know. Let's support our firemen!!
I appreciate your concern and respect your point of view. However step back and look at the situation you mentioned. I know in my job I am not allowed to do any "work at heights" (over 6 feet) unless I have on fall protection. A work permit has to be written by another person. In other words I am not allowed to do certain tasks like this one, one involving electrical testing over certain voltage, entering confined spaces etc if I am a "lone worker". It is all about safety. So if you objectively look at what happened by doing root cause analysis with the facts you presented the logical conclusion was the fireman did not properly secure the ladder to do the task he wanted to do was on issue. So if the fireman was injured as you say it sound like Haralson County has some piss poor work safety practices in place for their employees. As far as the heart attack, stroke, fall one way to address this is to buy a "man down" system for the fire personnel to wear. A lot cheaper than another employee.
Ghost11

Talladega, AL

#4 Jan 26, 2014
Taxpayer wrote:
Or just close a lot of stations. If you feel that we are overtaxed, this is the single largest waste of taxpayer money in the county by far. We need 2 stations at the very most. There are only roughly 25k residents here. Especially if we can get an ambulance service that actually works and isn't just a cash cow for someone.
You my friend are an idiot if you think this county only needs two fire stations!!! Do you know how far it is from buncombe to Felton or draketown to steadman?? That was probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen in topics. Oh and I'm not and never have been a firemen
agreed

Oxford, GA

#5 Jan 26, 2014
Ghost11 wrote:
<quoted text>
You my friend are an idiot if you think this county only needs two fire stations!!! Do you know how far it is from buncombe to Felton or draketown to steadman?? That was probably the dumbest thing I've ever seen in topics. Oh and I'm not and never have been a firemen
I like my fires put out before it goes out on its own myself. The issue in this situation should have been handled by a qualified HVAC guy in the first place.
fireman1296

Hamilton, GA

#6 Jan 27, 2014
Taxpayer wrote:
Or just close a lot of stations. If you feel that we are overtaxed, this is the single largest waste of taxpayer money in the county by far. We need 2 stations at the very most. There are only roughly 25k residents here. Especially if we can get an ambulance service that actually works and isn't just a cash cow for someone.
You are a flaming idiot! Truth is I bet you dont pay taxes, you probably live off of other peoples taxes! You welfare leach! Shut your pie hole and go into your closet and do us all a favor..........take a buckshot breath mint!
woodknocker

Carrollton, GA

#7 Jan 27, 2014
This is amazing. I have seen these guys perform heroically and our fire department is terribly understaffed. I know the county is looking to cut further but a quick look at insurance and federal guidelines show that we need to hire firemen and build fire stations. Taxpayer obviously has never needed the services of these brave people. It is amazing to see how backward Haralson County really is.
Yea Right

Carrollton, GA

#8 Jan 27, 2014
This is why Haralson County can't get or keep good people. Good luck if you have an emergency.
Yea Right

Carrollton, GA

#9 Jan 28, 2014
I would say you all deserve what you will get but that's not true. No one deserves to die in a house fire or have a heart attack. Haralson County has no infrastructure. Best Wishes and I hope you all stay free of any emergencies.
woodknocker

Villa Rica, GA

#10 Jan 28, 2014
Haralson County would be in trouble today in the snow with those two stations. There are taxpayers all over the county requesting services. What a waste of money.
Taxpayer

Atlanta, GA

#11 Jan 29, 2014
Well first of all, there are apparently a lot of firefighters on here. I wasn't taking away from what they do, it is much appreciated. However, how many homes are saved? Their primary function is to be first responders, which should be the ambulance service that we pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to so they can have 2 ambulances in the area. My point was that we should close some fire departments and demand better service from the ambulance service. I knew I would catch a lot of crap on here because the fire department does NOT operate professionally, a lot of the firefighters are in their role due to who they know and it is a very sought after career path because you can do anything and still remain in the department. They are public service workers who are not held to any type of accountability system like the private sector. I would like to see how many calls they get and the result of those calls, what is the cost of the fleet, fuel costs, utility costs, all P&L. Where is that published? It would absolutely stagger all of you if you see the numbers and compare it to a private sector worker. All of this was done by a commissioner that wanted to put his stamp on the county. We should have volunteer firefighters with a chief to head things up and a real ambulance service. I am a huge fan of our fire chief, I really believe that he does a great job. I just think it is too big, that's all.
hccitizen

Marietta, GA

#12 Jan 31, 2014
Taxpayer wrote:
Well first of all, there are apparently a lot of firefighters on here. I wasn't taking away from what they do, it is much appreciated. However, how many homes are saved? Their primary function is to be first responders, which should be the ambulance service that we pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to so they can have 2 ambulances in the area. My point was that we should close some fire departments and demand better service from the ambulance service. I knew I would catch a lot of crap on here because the fire department does NOT operate professionally, a lot of the firefighters are in their role due to who they know and it is a very sought after career path because you can do anything and still remain in the department. They are public service workers who are not held to any type of accountability system like the private sector. I would like to see how many calls they get and the result of those calls, what is the cost of the fleet, fuel costs, utility costs, all P&L. Where is that published? It would absolutely stagger all of you if you see the numbers and compare it to a private sector worker. All of this was done by a commissioner that wanted to put his stamp on the county. We should have volunteer firefighters with a chief to head things up and a real ambulance service. I am a huge fan of our fire chief, I really believe that he does a great job. I just think it is too big, that's all.
let me explain a few things that you may not be aware of.....everyone is first responder trained at least on a fire truck They have the capability to help a patient before an ambulance gets there. There are 3 ambulances in the county. This is why fire trucks respond along with ambulances on certain calls. The firefighters respond to many calls alone because due to tax money or should i say lack of. We do have volunteers in the county. There is even a volunteer station. Let me ask you this...if your house were on fire would you want volunteers only to come put it out from across the county and this is only after they drive from their houses to the station to get a truck? Or if someone wasnt breathing chances are the firefighter will get onscene first to start CPR. And yes many homes are saved. The ones you hear about in the paper are the ones that werent saved because tragedy is what sells papers and news. The public safety workers are held to accountability. Their moves are watched on and off duty. They are held at a higher standard because the public watches every move they make. Also in closing the public safety employees in this county are some of the lowest paid in the state. They go out every day risking their lives to help people who think they shouldnt even get paid at all. You said it was much appreciatied.
UDummies

Bremen, GA

#13 Feb 1, 2014
Did y'all know your insurance would go sky high if you don't live within 10 miles of a fire stations? Tallapoosa Journal reported one man lived 1/10 of a mile from being within 10 miles of a station and his ins went from $200 to $1500.
woodknocker

Villa Rica, GA

#14 Feb 3, 2014
This is why Haralson County is a joke. All the taxpayers need to do is to look at the surrounding counties and note what the leadership is doing with their fire departments. Any reputable business or industry would be foolish to locate to Haralson. Just look at Carrollton, Carroll County, Polk County, and Paulding County. They are investing heavily in their public safety. This is a deal breaker with industry and it also gives new and old citizens peace of mind to know that the fire department and law enforcement are the best there is. Haralson is and will always be a joke. These men and women work for close to minimum wage and struggle to work 2 or 3 jobs to support their families. Haralson will never be able to hire or retain good firefighters. Yes, the county should not be subsidizing an ambulance service that makes millions for its rich ownership. Haralson Fire will continue to be the punch line to a bad joke. I only hope that it is not one of your family members that needs excellent care when time matters. It will then be too late. Chief Walker and Chief Entrekin are doing a GREAT job with the resources that they have. They are true leaders and that is why they have the staff that are there now. This will not last, however. Haralson Fire is now dangerously understaffed and is working with outdated and damaged equipment with no plan to remedy it. It is sad to see how bad this department is due to the apathy of the county commission. You all need to wake up and fund this department before it's too late. We need to support Chief Walker with funding and staff support before someone you love needs them. It may already be too late. Good luck Haralson County. You are going to need it.
Jacked up Chevy

Temple, GA

#15 Feb 3, 2014
Speaking of public safety, how much are we giving the ambulance service to do business in this county? What are surrounding counties paying for ems?
firefighter1296

Hamilton, GA

#16 Feb 5, 2014
Taxpayer wrote:
Well first of all, there are apparently a lot of firefighters on here. I wasn't taking away from what they do, it is much appreciated. However, how many homes are saved? Their primary function is to be first responders, which should be the ambulance service that we pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to so they can have 2 ambulances in the area. My point was that we should close some fire departments and demand better service from the ambulance service. I knew I would catch a lot of crap on here because the fire department does NOT operate professionally, a lot of the firefighters are in their role due to who they know and it is a very sought after career path because you can do anything and still remain in the department. They are public service workers who are not held to any type of accountability system like the private sector. I would like to see how many calls they get and the result of those calls, what is the cost of the fleet, fuel costs, utility costs, all P&L. Where is that published? It would absolutely stagger all of you if you see the numbers and compare it to a private sector worker. All of this was done by a commissioner that wanted to put his stamp on the county. We should have volunteer firefighters with a chief to head things up and a real ambulance service. I am a huge fan of our fire chief, I really believe that he does a great job. I just think it is too big, that's all.
WOW!!! you must know a whole lot about public safety..........NOT!!!!!!!! You need to do some research before you go spouting your mouth off. Tell you what, why dont YOU get off the computer playing rambo and go to one of the stations and work a shift. Oh, and do that job for $8.00 an hour. All the information you are moaning about is all public record.......go request it. You are right about some things though, but basically clueless about the majority of things.
Wow

Palmetto, GA

#17 Feb 23, 2014
I have always supported Chief Walker and he is a great man, the best this county has ever seen, but taxpayer is right. His point is that the ambulance service underperforms in this county and if it were to perform as it should and provide a real service to the county, we wouldn't need as many firefighters. Being a firefighter in this county is a fall back plan to most of these guys. There are a few heroes out there as anywhere, and we all owe a debt of gratitude to them to a certain degree. However, they are doing what their job is required if them. If an electrician gets injured or killed on his job, who will call him a hero? Nobody, he was doing his job. There are folks literally starting fires because they are bored and want to put one out. That means you are overstaffed by any definition. I have seen the numbers, I operate a private business and I would have already had a huge layoff with that much lack of productivity. Go ahead and persecute me and anyone else who is making this point. I don't believe it is my duty as a taxpayer to provide a career path to folks when we aren't using our resources correctly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Buchanan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 hr capn obvious 88,165
Yall do know that this is not just the Bremen F... 11 hr Stuxnet 3
Women arrested for running over Husband in Hara... (Jul '13) 16 hr dogpound 55
Golf 18 hr Bad golfer 20
Poll 2016 Presidential Election- Who will you vote for? 22 hr Irony 5
Christmas Help please!! (Dec '10) Thu Butt hurt Kurt 9
Freddy carroll Dec 4 I know 7

Buchanan Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Buchanan Mortgages