Medford detention continues till Marc...

Medford detention continues till March trial

There are 203 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Dec 17, 2007, titled Medford detention continues till March trial. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

A federal judge on Monday ordered former Sheriff Bobby Medford and two of his top commanders to wait in jail for trial on charges that they took protection money from illegal video gambling operators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

TENNESSEE

Savannah, TN

#21 Dec 18, 2007
My comments on scared people are not public scared its the officials and other officers who knew and did nothing. The public has been standing and falling far too long to allow the officers and the others to say "I knew it but was scared" Sorry if I sounded like I ment public outcries.
They want to lick the icing off the cake of ones who did do something. If you were scared then dont pat yourself now for speaking out.
caerleon

United States

#22 Dec 18, 2007
woot
I've been "watching my back" for too long.
I'm not going to live in fear as if this were Hitlers time. NO way no how. The damage that has been done to my family is fatal. I'm already on a very short candle. My light will shine on this mess as long as God allows. Sensible enough to be wary and very afraid. Still, deep in my heart, whatever happens, if it's my time to go, so be it. God's been with me so far.
I also feel that the more folks speak out, the less danger there will be.
I've got protection mechanisms built into my regimen. Everytime someone is silenced because of these abusers of the rights of the citizens of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, we allow the bad guys to win.
Unfortunately, I live close to his cronies. "Keep your friends close, your enemies closer." I can keep an eye on them that way.

“Fourth Estate = Fifth Column”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#23 Dec 18, 2007
A jail cell might be better than that shabby little apartment he lives in.

Anyway, prosecutors use the 'risk of flight' bullcrap to keep suspects locked up in some lousy county or city jail for as long as possible. It's a softening up strategy used by marginally competent AUSA's with a weak case in the hopes of getting the suspect to enter a quick guilty plea so he can get to a much nicer Club Fed somewhere. Medford was probably a bad apple, but it seems a waste of resources to dunk him in the slammer when so many really bad guys run loose and unchecked.
mom

AOL

#24 Dec 18, 2007
lokel wrote:
<quoted text>
These dam mexicans haven't extorted money from illegal video machine owners, padded campaign funds with stolen money, committed fraud while serving as an elected official, communicated threats, and all the other crap (all felonies), that this jackass has!
maybe not, but they sure have killed two good friends of mine with their drunk driving and uninsured cars that are ILLEGALLY registered in tennessee......sorry, but i see no gain from making bobby stay in jail for Christmas...but we are in asheville where nothing is fair.
BuncCyBapt

Maiden, NC

#25 Dec 18, 2007
Free wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, I don't think our justice system should be used as payback. If we are obligated to allow bonding out for criminals in our community then the ex Sheriff should certainly qualify for some bond. This is a disgusting display of power tripping if you ask me.
Yes, but look at all the players, and according to the indictments the Barron and James Henderson crowd from South Carolina are connected with the WNC/Medford crowd and the Cleveland and Rutherford County crowds. Hundreds of people involved here, including witnesses in fear of their lives.

Plus, the best I can tell there are twelve indictments still sealed. Here are seven sealed indictments and there are five in the Buncombe County cases:
http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/ncw/press/gambling....

People's lives are in danger. Some of these men who used firearms legally might now use them illegally.

I wouldn't call it payback. It might be better called erring on the side of caution. I didn't like the show of force in Weaverville, but maybe the feds had a good reason for it.

How about those rich Henderson boys from South Carolina who became international jet-groupies of the Caribbean with money scraped from the pockets of the poor working man? They had a special team of experts who counseled federal witnesses how to testify, and those witnesses did indeed perjure themselves before federal grand juries. The Hendersons bribed, or attempted to bribe, at least three sheriffs. Are they still in jail or out on bond?

If you believe any of these grand jury indictments these are not just petty criminals or even run-of-the-mill felons. And now they're all ratting each other out. That's a fact. These people are organized and very dangerous. The more of them behind bars, the safer we all are. Would you want to get caught in the cross-fire?

Think mobsters. Think Capone. Think Gotti, folks. Nobody's been capped or burned out yet (so far as we know) but it was just a matter of time.

The justice system is used as payback every day. The experts will tell you it's for rehabilitation and to put the bad person aright, and to protect society from further predation by criminals. But you and I know that most people privately consider prison and the agony that goes with it as revenge.
caerleon

United States

#26 Dec 18, 2007
Tennessee
I've seen more than some what this can do to law enforcement. Believe me, they spoke out or we would not have had a seven year investigation.
I have also seen law enforcement take hits for their efforts.One officer I know personally was supsended for a year and slandered. Walk a mile in their shoes.
wondering

Great Falls, MT

#27 Dec 18, 2007
Although I think they should hang for their crimes, along with more who should be added, I have to agree that it is odd that you can commit murder and walk the next morning and this crippled up old thing can't sweat out his time under monitoring at home. Put a monitor on his ankle and tap his phone.
Ann Ryder

AOL

#28 Dec 18, 2007
wOOt wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think he'd ever go to trial if he were released. Don't know he'd live that long.
I wonder if the big boys want him in jail because that's where accidents happen.
Ron Blackmon

Hendersonville, NC

#29 Dec 18, 2007
This is BS. What happened to Inocent until proven guilty. That is supposed to the law. But I guess the rules don't apply if your not a Democrat. If Bobby did this then he should be punished. but give his day in court. But let him out on bond. He has been charged. Let him go until trial. He is to sick to remain behind bars.
caerleon

United States

#30 Dec 18, 2007
Well said BUNCCTYBAB
ranger

Greenville, SC

#31 Dec 18, 2007
we should look at the rest of the police force, im sure we can find some more guilty people, and you cannot tell me van duncan didnt know about this, bs. who do we trust now, what about the hwy patrolman rapping women, its time we as citizens take a long hard look at our justice system, im sure bobby is guilty but what about the rest behind the badge, and how about the captain who rolled over on his cop buddies, was he about to get caught,and gave a deal.PROTECT AND SERVE!! THE PEOPLE NOT YOUR BANK ACCOUNTS. MY TRUST IS GONE!! THANK YOU!!
caerleon

United States

#32 Dec 18, 2007
Then there's the issue that a crooked justice system in this county has allowed murderers, drug dealers , rapists and pedophiles to walk free. This reputation may or may not be the mitigating factor behind the FEds thinking. After all , as BCB said, this is an organized crime syndicate. They can hire criminals who they have released for little money or for promises of leniency. These criminals then aid the criminals in power. I was told by a former cop who was dirty that all it would take to get rid of someone here is 100. dollars. By getting felons to do their dirty work, they appear unbesmirched by the crimes they instigated.
wOOt

AOL

#33 Dec 18, 2007
I wonder why they moved him to Caldwell Co. Too dangerous in Buncombe County Jail?
TENNESSEE

Savannah, TN

#34 Dec 18, 2007
caerleon wrote:
Tennessee
I've seen more than some what this can do to law enforcement. Believe me, they spoke out or we would not have had a seven year investigation.
I have also seen law enforcement take hits for their efforts.One officer I know personally was supsended for a year and slandered. Walk a mile in their shoes.
Well I admire your friend. He took the job and oath. I am proud of the ones that did. Its the ones that did not I say should not be tooting their own horn NOW.

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Since: Feb 07

Leicester

#35 Dec 18, 2007
wOOt wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think he'd ever go to trial if he were released. Don't know he'd live that long.
I agree. I think that what we are seeing right now is the bottom of the barrel. The higher ones have yet to fall. If they ever do. I do not know any facts or anyone (hopefully) related to this mess, but my gut tells me that if Medford got out, he would just simply disappear.

And not a flight risk? Theres a 50/50 chance of that. There is also a chance that others would dispose of him properly. 50/50 chance of that, as well.

And anyone that can go to Harrah's and gamble can definitely stand or sit for more than 15 minutes at a time.

I dont buy into the BS that is being put out there as PR of Bobby being a sad, pained old man. Just the sad part.
lokel

United States

#36 Dec 18, 2007
Ron Blackmon wrote:
This is BS. What happened to Inocent until proven guilty. That is supposed to the law. But I guess the rules don't apply if your not a Democrat. If Bobby did this then he should be punished. but give his day in court. But let him out on bond. He has been charged. Let him go until trial. He is to sick to remain behind bars.
Too sick to remain behind bars?

So according to this logic we should allow all "sick" prisoners to go free?

Really sounds like he is sick when he made over 200 trips to Harrah's in the last couple of years, and managed to stand or sit at a slot machine (as recently as August according to the records from Harrah's - which have been entered as evidence), long enough to loose 54,000$!

I do not think the Federal agents or Judges give a crap about political affiliation.
Christmas

United States

#37 Dec 18, 2007
I can't understand what having MR. Medford locked up for Christmas has to do with anything.If he were a true christian he wouldn't have been involved in this mess, and if he isn't why would he need to home for the LORD'S birthday.Lokel, I did get a good laugh about your comment to the girlfriend not being able to entertain the old coot.(good one ,we all need a good laugh at least once a day).It is almost like watching a good comedy show when you see his buddies on the news trying to defend him,especially when people know what kind of creeps his buddies are.I think if I were them I wouldn't do anything to draw attention to myself.
TENNESSEE

Savannah, TN

#38 Dec 18, 2007
Dunnin wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. I think that what we are seeing right now is the bottom of the barrel. The higher ones have yet to fall. If they ever do. I do not know any facts or anyone (hopefully) related to this mess, but my gut tells me that if Medford got out, he would just simply disappear.
And not a flight risk? Theres a 50/50 chance of that. There is also a chance that others would dispose of him properly. 50/50 chance of that, as well.
And anyone that can go to Harrah's and gamble can definitely stand or sit for more than 15 minutes at a time.
I dont buy into the BS that is being put out there as PR of Bobby being a sad, pained old man. Just the sad part.
I agree with most of this. The bottom of the barrel? The barrel is just now being opened. The bottom is a long way down. If Bobby is the ring leader that is. If he is not the ring leader then they bypassed to Bobby and the ring leaders will never be known.
Chalk Artist

Asheville, NC

#39 Dec 18, 2007
The "photo" is funny. Not very flattering to Bob Long.
TENNESSEE

Savannah, TN

#40 Dec 18, 2007
Can we all say Scape-Goat

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bryson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paper Factory Smell (Jun '10) 2 hr Cancer 27
Mine Shaft Extreme & Adventure? Aug 24 ZombieCompound 1
Is law enforcement letting linda get away with ... (Jun '13) Aug 19 Charles G Jenkins 8
shine (Mar '14) Aug 17 NotACop 2
Beware of Julie - Hairdresser (Feb '16) Aug 16 Anonymous 13
Jim Tom Is My Biological Father Aug 13 Hardcore MF 6
Other Atheists? (Jul '14) Aug 13 Van helsing 3

Bryson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bryson City Mortgages