Swain at last makes foray into animal...

Swain at last makes foray into animal control

There are 17 comments on the Smoky Mountain News story from Oct 2, 2009, titled Swain at last makes foray into animal control. In it, Smoky Mountain News reports that:

Swain County Manager Kevin King has an ambitious idea for finally addressing the years-old issue of animal control, or lack thereof, in the county.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Smoky Mountain News.

Long suffering neighbor

United States

#1 Oct 6, 2009
If Kevin King and the Commissioners wanted to help they would place an exemption in the animal cruelty regs allowing large aggerssive dogs to be shot on sight if they are on the private property of another. Owners would be forced to take responsibility and control their dogs or replace them repeatedly. It's a damn shame that an a**hole neighbor with an inadequacy problem so bad that they have to have a few bulldogs or whatever breed can just set them loose and until they kill a kid or an old person or a pet there is nothing to do but protect yourself and loved ones and property, shoot their dogs and go to jail for being "cruel". And why do I and my kids have to dodge their dogs feeces in my yard?
Long suffering neighbor

United States

#2 Oct 6, 2009
What Swain needs is a "Nuisance Neighbor" law so if you have problems over noise, animals, use and so on, you could, after gathering enough evidence to satisfy a Magistrate, cite them in front of a commission of local people (of both political parties and otherwise as diverse as practicable) and if the commission finds a neighbors conduct unreasonable, and if declared a "nuisance", fine them and use other means of persuasion to have them change their ways.
Thats Right

United States

#3 Oct 6, 2009
I agree with you on both, neighbor. Matter of fact, we must have the same neighbor or we have a lot in common otherwise. I've found a BB gun to be very effective on unwanted critters. Stings, but don't do any damage from a distance, and they learn where my yard starts and theirs stops. As for the actual neighbor, I'm at wits end. Hope they move away someday. We do need some kind of enforcement regarding dangerous breed dogs, at least, but everybody needs to be responsible for their own animals and respectful of the rights of others. We do have laws in place but getting them enforced is another thing. With the rise in crime and reductions to law enforcement, commissioners need to come up with a plan. Issue needs public vote though, so it don't cater to the transplants over the locals.(ie, hunting dogs are are gonna bark, chickens don't need rabies tags, etc.)

Most pit bulls are guarding meth houses, anyway. Should be a dead give-away to law enforcement. Their presence should be considered probable cause for a search warrant.
Long suffering neighbor

United States

#4 Oct 7, 2009
T.R. I had temporary success by taping the wrapper from a new dog bowl to an empty antifreeze jug and leaving it beside the road at the bottom of thier driveway. I guess it's about time to do it again now that the weather has cooled. Also I use CB short .22 ammo which is available from the sports store beside Lester's Sports on Everette St. The sound of the impact is louder than the discharge if you use a long barrel .22 rifle. If you can believe it I asked a member of the Commission about some protection as outlined above and the c****d advised me to put a plastic soda bottle over the muzzle of a .22 and let fly. I was shocked he counciled me to break the law rather than accept some responsibility. I wonder if he even ralizes that is against the federal law? I wish they could realize that taking a stand would gain more votes than is costs them? I won't vote for any incumbents this time if we don't get some relief.
Lng Suffrg Nghbr

United States

#5 Oct 7, 2009
TR I think topix may have squelched my last. The operative info in it was .22 CB short. 20 or so grain bullet, 700 or so FPS and no powder. Just primer. At 700 fps there is no trans-sonic crack. It is almost impossible to determine the location of the first shot. Never shoot twice.
Thats Right

United States

#6 Oct 7, 2009
Lng Suffrg Nghbr wrote:
TR I think topix may have squelched my last. The operative info in it was .22 CB short. 20 or so grain bullet, 700 or so FPS and no powder. Just primer. At 700 fps there is no trans-sonic crack. It is almost impossible to determine the location of the first shot. Never shoot twice.
Does this harm the animal? I don't want to do real damage, just train them to stay out of my yard. I've had this neighbor's dogs kill our pets and bite me on my own porch before. I'm scared of what could happen to small children in the neighborhood since they keep one or many pits and let them run loose. One of their goats even charged me in my yard once. I'm always careful to look about before going out to work in the yard and keep an eye out while out there. Commissioners need to do something that will work out for all to enjoy pets but be responsible for their behavior.
LSN

United States

#7 Oct 8, 2009
TR CB's will pierce skin and they will flat get their attention. If I had been through what you've been through I'd be to the "to hell with it" stage and start killing dogs. I'm not mean enough to poison dogs because poison is so indescriminate and is unable to sort a repeat offender from the honestly-just-passing-through animals. I could get that hard if I was left no choice. Goat miscreance is beyond me. I killed the last goat I saw standing on one of our cars and put it in the dumpster (but you're not supposed to put animal corpses in the dumpster) and haven't had a goat problem since. Start documenting problems and call the Sheriff himself EVERY TIME you have a problem, If you let those critters back you down you'll never be in charge on your property again. Good Luck and good hunting.
Mad as Hell and Fed Up

United States

#8 Oct 8, 2009
If they spend enough on vet bills they won't be able to feed so many dogs and wounded or crippled dogs don't roam. Shoot to wound and give'em hell! Let you asshole neighbor's pay to have them put down or record them putting one out of it's misery and call the law on them for cruelty. I think I know who long suffering is.
LSN

United States

#9 Oct 8, 2009
And "Shoot to wound and give em hell" outed you too big boy. I'll see ya around half time tommorrow night.
Mad as Hell and Fed Up

United States

#10 Oct 8, 2009
Teeeeen-four.
Dog Tired

United States

#11 Nov 6, 2009
I find it amazing that dogs are allowed to roam free, dangerous or not. Two neighborhood dogs nip at my granddaughters feet as I try to bring her in from the car. The same dogs come to my door every morning and bark at me through my sliding glass door waking anyone in the house. They dig through everyone's trash. One has been hit by a car twice (that I know of) on Hwy 19. Three neighbors have addressed the problem with their owners, only to have them post a no trespassing sign. Great! Your dogs can wreak havoc on the others, and the response is "We don't want to know." Isn't THAT cruelty to animals, the dog that has been hit by a car twice now has not been to the vet (that we know). How about public safety. It will surely be an insurance claim for somebody just trying to get to the grocery store when they too hit this loose dog.
outside looking in

Farmville, NC

#12 Jan 20, 2014
I happen to know that there is a cadidate for Sheriff that plans to resolve this problem ,with the lack of animal control . It is the responsibility of the Sheriff .
the wanderer

Bryson City, NC

#13 Jan 22, 2014
Which candidate would it be? and just curious what the plan for the animal control would be? Animal control is not a cheap undertaking
Kevin

United States

#14 Mar 14, 2014
The sheriff can only do what the commissioners approve, if you take the Sheriffs budget and use for an animal shelter how are you going to pay people to run the shelter? There is just not enough money in the budget to build a shelter and hire people to work it, the sheriff isn't responsible for money the county manager won't give him! The candidates trying to win the sheriffs race have good intentions I'm sure, but the current sheriff I believe if focused on the problems he can control i.e. drugs, getting good people in our schools (SRO's), community policing, proactive law enforcement etc... If the money was available through the county I'm sure Sheriff Cochran would do everything he could to provide folks with a shelter!
Outside looking in

Tarboro, NC

#15 Mar 16, 2014
George Powell for Swain County Sheriff
That's the solution , he has spoken to me many times about animals running at large and nuisance neighbors who repeatedly create a less than desirable situation for those around them.
George will pursue new ordinances and enforce the existing Laws !
Vote George Powell for Swain County Sheriff 2014
Outside looking in

Tarboro, NC

#16 Mar 16, 2014
George Powell
the wanderer wrote:
Which candidate would it be? and just curious what the plan for the animal control would be? Animal control is not a cheap undertaking
Outside looking in

Tarboro, NC

#17 Mar 16, 2014
You are correct the Sheriff can not afford to run an animal shelter under his current budget , however he can enforce the laws regarding animals at large especially if they are dangerous animals . There are organizations that are willing which have told me they are willing to help with the animal shelter issues. The Sheriff can petition for stronger county ordinances that would allow more control over nuisance animals and the owners . George Powell and I have looked into this and there are alternatives . Elect George Powell for Swain County Sheriff and see the difference !---------
Kevin wrote:
The sheriff can only do hat the commissioners approve, if you take the Sheriffs budget and use for an animal shelter how are you going to pay people to run the shelter? There is just not enough money in the budget to build a shelter and hire people to work it, the sheriff isn't responsible for money the county manager won't give him! The candidates trying to win the sheriffs race have good intentions I'm sure, but the current sheriff I believe if focused on the problems he can control i.e. drugs, getting good people in our schools (SRO's), community policing, proactive law enforcement etc... If the money was available through the county I'm sure Sheriff Cochran would do everything he could to provide folks with a shelter!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bryson City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mine Shaft Extreme & Adventure? 16 hr ZombieCompound 1
Is law enforcement letting linda get away with ... (Jun '13) Aug 19 Charles G Jenkins 8
shine (Mar '14) Aug 17 NotACop 2
Beware of Julie - Hairdresser (Feb '16) Aug 16 Anonymous 13
Jim Tom Is My Biological Father Aug 13 Hardcore MF 6
Other Atheists? (Jul '14) Aug 13 Van helsing 3
Drug Dealers (Aug '08) Aug 13 This bro 44

Bryson City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bryson City Mortgages