Boy's Death Prompts Call for Gun Safety

Boy's Death Prompts Call for Gun Safety

There are 26 comments on the First Coast News Jacksonville story from Apr 4, 2008, titled Boy's Death Prompts Call for Gun Safety. In it, First Coast News Jacksonville reports that:

Talk Back: Post a comment on this article By Victor Blackwell First Coast News BRYCEVILLE, FL -- A Crescent City boy's death reminds us that a lack of information can be fatal.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at First Coast News Jacksonville.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#1 Apr 4, 2008
they will need to get the brother who brought the gun into the house some serious counseling.
TWD

Jacksonville, FL

#2 Apr 4, 2008
i AGREE PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN ABOUT GUNS BEFORE THEY BUY OR HANDLE THEM, A PISTOL IS ALWAYS LOADED UNTIL THE MAGAZINE IS REMOVED AND THE SLIDE IS BACK AND DECLARED SAFE WITH ALL ROUNDS OUT, PEOPLE MAKE THE MISTAKE OF PULLING IT APART AND PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER WITH THE MAG IN, IT IS THEN LOADED BOOM, TRAIN THESE PEOPLE IS ALL I SAY, IT IS NOT THE GUN BUT THE HAND THAT HOLDS IT, AN EDUCATED SHOOTER WILL BE SAFE, A PERSON WHO HAS NOW KNOWLEDGE WILL BE A DEADLEY WEAPON, ALWAYS BE SAFE AND THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU WILL BE SAFE, BEING EX AIRFORCE MY WIFE RECITES THE SAFETY DRILL EVERYTIME SHE TOUCHES MY PISTOL OR HEARS THE NEWS ABOUT ANOTHER MISTAKE WITH A HANDGUN.
Roger

Saint Marys, GA

#3 Apr 4, 2008
As usual the news states the brother "found" this gun and brought it home. The brother KILLED his own brother! The woman apparently picked up the gun to remove it from the where it could harm the brothers. If this is what happened, Lock up the brother and give the woman counseling so she can try to cope with the death of a loved one. If you "FIND" a gun, don't touch it, call the police! Even if it dosen't work you may ruin evidence from a previous crime. Why would you bring it home where it could KILL your family??? Wake up people, THIS, is a STORY!!!
p e a

Atlanta, GA

#4 Apr 4, 2008
does mr peters have his hand gun with a trigger lock engaged ?
Inconspicuous

AOL

#5 Apr 5, 2008
Safety is and always should be number one with firearms. I live in a household with two adults and both of us have guns. I do have to say that an empty gun will do you no good unless you want to throw it at him. Criminals will not give you the time to unlock it and load. Most buy guns for protection and mine is ready when needed.
MICHELLE JAX

Pontiac, MI

#6 Apr 5, 2008
EVERY TIME A CHILD IS KILLED WITH A GUN IN THE HOUSE,THERE IS A BIG FUSS,THEN IT SLOWLY GOES AWAY UNTIL ANOTHER ONE HAPPENS. WHAT IS REALLY BEING DONE TO CONTROL,AND KEEP GUNS OUT OF THE HANDS OF CHILDREN? NOTHING,PEOPLE ARE STILL CARELESS,AND STUPID.IT IS VERY SAD TO THINK ANOTHER CHILD IS DEAD BECAUSE OF THAT.WAKE UP PEOPLE, KEEP GUNS LOCKED UP,OR OUT OF THE HOUSE ENTIRELY WHEN THERE ARE YOUNG PEOPLE AROUND. WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER DEAD CHILD...
OP Resident

Jacksonville, FL

#7 Apr 5, 2008
Unfortunately it takes something horrible for people to re-focus on gun safety. It is not the guns that are killing. It is the lack of responsibility and lack of common sense when it comes to common sense in regards to guns and our children.
Backwoods

United States

#8 Apr 5, 2008
Must have been a teacher silincing an affair
Usingmyrights

Keystone Heights, FL

#9 Apr 5, 2008
I guess FCN didn't like what I had to say because my first two posts on this topic disappeared.

“The Inevitable”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#10 Apr 5, 2008
Backwoods wrote:
Must have been a teacher silincing an affair
please stay in the backwoods, you're about as dumb as a rock, and please tell me your not breeding.

“The Inevitable”

Location hidden

#11 Apr 5, 2008
If somebody accuses you of lying through your tooth, you might be a backwoods man.
Stacy

Jacksonville, FL

#12 Apr 5, 2008
Guns don't kill people. People kill people. Sometimes by using guns. But the gun is harmless when it is sitting there untouched.

“It's A Kind Of Magic”

Middleburg, FL

#13 Apr 5, 2008
I don't know these people, but unless you live in a cave, you must have some sense about general gun safety. Who "finds" a gun, then instictively puts their finger on the trigger, while pointing it at someone?

There's yur sign.

“3 words changed my life ”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#14 Apr 5, 2008
TWD wrote:
i AGREE PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN ABOUT GUNS BEFORE THEY BUY OR HANDLE THEM, A PISTOL IS ALWAYS LOADED UNTIL THE MAGAZINE IS REMOVED AND THE SLIDE IS BACK AND DECLARED SAFE WITH ALL ROUNDS OUT, PEOPLE MAKE THE MISTAKE OF PULLING IT APART AND PUTTING IT BACK TOGETHER WITH THE MAG IN, IT IS THEN LOADED BOOM, TRAIN THESE PEOPLE IS ALL I SAY, IT IS NOT THE GUN BUT THE HAND THAT HOLDS IT, AN EDUCATED SHOOTER WILL BE SAFE, A PERSON WHO HAS NOW KNOWLEDGE WILL BE A DEADLEY WEAPON, ALWAYS BE SAFE AND THE PEOPLE AROUND YOU WILL BE SAFE, BEING EX AIRFORCE MY WIFE RECITES THE SAFETY DRILL EVERYTIME SHE TOUCHES MY PISTOL OR HEARS THE NEWS ABOUT ANOTHER MISTAKE WITH A HANDGUN.
they did not buy this gun...the brother found it..which i would love to know where he found a loaded handgun..and hid it in the house..the step mom picked it up and she apparantly hit the trigger and being it was already cocked, a tragic death occured...they need to find out where the brother really got the gun..ive never found a gun just laying around in the road to be found...
homeowner 32210

Jacksonville, FL

#15 Apr 5, 2008
I agree with scott 1 where did the gun really come from and what else has it been used for. why did the brother hide the gun in the house to begin with? there is more to this story than what has already been told.....
thomnsendy

Middleburg, FL

#16 Apr 5, 2008
I found a dirty steadknife in the sofa last year and accidentally stabbed my neighbors kid. I guess I should have not pointed it at his heart before testing it's sharpness.
Jordan

Lansing, MI

#17 Apr 5, 2008
What more is there to know about guns other than the golden rule which is don't point it at anythign you dont intend on shooting.

Almost everyone in the world automatically knows this. I see no reason to freak out over gun safety.
mee

Live Oak, FL

#18 Apr 5, 2008
The fathers ex-girl friend, shot the boy!???
Inconspicuous

AOL

#19 Apr 6, 2008
Jordan wrote:
What more is there to know about guns other than the golden rule which is don't point it at anythign you dont intend on shooting.
Almost everyone in the world automatically knows this. I see no reason to freak out over gun safety.
I totaly agree with that Jordan. I knew from a very early age not to point my toy guns at people. Thats back when toy guns were ok to have. Also, it was an adult who handled the gun when it went off so the people that want to scream about trigger locks are just blowing smoke. It dosent apply to this case.
Wolf

Jacksonville, FL

#20 Apr 7, 2008
Inconspicuous wrote:
<quoted text>
I totaly agree with that Jordan. I knew from a very early age not to point my toy guns at people. Thats back when toy guns were ok to have. Also, it was an adult who handled the gun when it went off so the people that want to scream about trigger locks are just blowing smoke. It dosent apply to this case.
I too have known since I was very young that a gun should not be pointed at anything you do not intend to destroy. I was taught at a very young age what the difference was between seeing guns used in movies or when you played Cowboys and Indians and when they were used in real life. I think that education is still the key issue in gun safety not bans and gun control. If you do your research you will find that in nearly every country that has tried gun control crime and deaths involving guns did not drop and in most cases increased (Australia was one and lets not forget Hitler's move to control guns and what came after that).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bryceville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hunter's fatal fall from tree stand near Jackso... (Nov '11) 7 min annomyus 2
News Black Donald Trump Supporter Shot In Cleveland Bar 9 hr Retired SOF 2
Need viewpoints 19 hr Fed up citizen 1
Is Jacksonville a good place to live for a long... (May '06) Thu Redneck Woman 259
Art n Illusion Hair Salon (Jun '15) Thu Caroline 22
Hillary clinton IRS investigation Wed Norman VN 1
Thinking of moving to McClenny Jul 26 married with chil... 2

Bryceville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bryceville Mortgages