Jail Life (in Yulee, Nassau County, FL)

Jail Life (in Yulee, Nassau County, FL)

Posted in the Bryceville Forum

United States

#1 Feb 19, 2009

Jail life

I'm Jessica T. Emmett and I'm an inmate at Nassau County Jail. I've been here for 22 days and this jail is the worst. I don't expect this to be a Holiday Inn or anything but I'm human just like the rest of the world.

Today is Feb 9. It's 7:30 a.m. and we as females are cold because they have the a/c on 24/7 even when it's 18 degrees outside, but you'll see the guards in coats, all warm and stuff. We complain about it all day everyday, but we hear it's nothing they can do about it, or even they say, "You're an inmate. You have no choice." Well, not like that but yeah, that's what they mean. I'm getting my second cold in here and I will refuse the meds because I'm not paying $60 for meds when it's not my fault for being sick.

About the meals: we get meals at 6:30 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. No snack at all. The portions are not enough. The food is nasty. We have only five minutes to eat and drink. During meals is the only time we can have a cup. We have to drink water from our sinks. I have to run upstairs to get it because we can't have a cup. But get this: we can order coffee, Kool-aid, etc., or store order but have no cup. Is something wrong with that or is it just me? As for a napkin, we use newspaper. So yeah, thanks News-Leader for the paper. Yeah, we will put our food on the paper when they take the trays from us. I never in my life seen human beings being treated so bad. It's awful.

We have no TV or radio. The days are boring and long. All we have is cards to play with. I don't see why we can't have board games? This place will make you go insane.

One of the cell's toilets was running for four days. The guards knew and we kept complaining about it. Now we have no hot water to take a shower with (two days without hot water!). They told us, "It's 300-plus people taking showers, so what do you expect?" Well, first off, we have had hot water until that one toilet was messed up and ran for four days.

This jail has mold, too. There's mold on the vents, on the metal bed frames, in and on the outside of the mattress. Sick, if you ask me, and we have to live like this. Can we as inmates get some help here? I know we are in here for different reasons, but no one should be treated like this. It seems as if all our rights are gone. And I believe every inmate has the right to be fed good, be warm and a few other things. I feel like we are dogs in a cell. Something needs to be done; I'm asking you for help.

Jessica T. Emmett, Yulee

Story created Feb 19, 2009 - 17:18:17 PST.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bryceville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Orange Park School To Close (Dec '07) 14 hr Edward 1,372
Art n Illusion Hair Salon Sun Christy 11
Comcast turmoil Sat Mary 3
State Attorney and Public Defender (Duval Count... (Mar '08) Oct 2 Mayhem 9,950
Review: First Coast MD (Aug '09) Oct 2 frantn 79
Who is your horrible renter? Oct 1 Burned Disabled Vet 1
News First Coast Gears: 'The Judge' proudly holds court (Jul '14) Jul '14 Mike and Wanda 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bryceville Mortgages