Iola's only bank cites lack of growth in closure

Nov 29, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Theeagle.com

The financial institution once known as Iola State Bank -- founded 101 years ago and the lone bank in the town of 350 people -- will close its doors at the end of the year, three years after being acquired by ...

Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Jun 16, 2012
Daniel Lee

Clyde, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2008

" Our customers are visiting less and less to the Iola location," Bow said. "We do not expect more growth in this area, so the decision was made to close this store on Monday, Dec. 29."
Hear that Dandy Doug Devine, the bank doesn't expect more growth in this area so they are leaving, but, Iola ISD will have a new $11million school and a $1.3 million football field, too bad there won't be anyone left living in Iola to attend the games!
unbelieveable

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2009

I wonder if they've found someone stupid enough to buy the bonds yet?
Who's going to pay it?
Main street has 12 buildings on it. Only 2 of those buildings have operating businesses in them. The remaining 10 buildings are either being used as storage or are for sale, including the bank building!
The town is dying a slow death, but, we'll have the best football field in the state!
I wonder, now that the early voting booths are no longer going to be in the school with the school secty as the election judge overseeing (no conflict of interest there) if the school will win as many of their projects as they usually do?
dumbfounded

Cross Plains, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2009

The town is dying, but, we're going to have a first class football field, WTG Iola!
fresh start

Crockett, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2010

get a new school board, John Kay, Mike Wethington & Ira Betts challenging incumbents for seats.
Vote the old guard out, the ones who raised your taxes so they could have a new football field.
Truth be told

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2010

So what you are saying is that Iola made the bank go bankrupt with people from hearne working there?
But yet you will be keeping the money for your silly ass field!! Fix your streets first, then consider adding a field.
fresh start

Grapeland, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 10, 2010

what are you talking about, who mentioned Hearne?
The bank didn't go bankrupt, it was a wells fargo bank, but wells fargo didn't think there was enough growth in Iola to warrant staying open, but the school thinks there's enough growth (there isn't) to build a new school and football field.
Metiche

Köln, Germany

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2012

Plow the whole town under. What a joke iola...
Rednecks have no future...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Bryan Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bryan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••