Swaggart's "Frances & Friends": All Doctrine, No Compassion?

Posted in the Brusly Forum

Bible Bearer

Van Buren, AR

#1 Jul 12, 2014
I do believe that the show, with its revolving panel, does an excellent job at dealing with some very important issues of our time, and does an even better job at preaching and teaching the Word of God, boldly, in sound doctrine. However, the sins that they preach against (and preaching against sin is most definitely needed) is only half of what is needed: Truth must be tempered with compassion, and justice with mercy. Some churches are all Spirit and no Truth ("wildfire" reigns), while others have their doctrine down, are all Truth, but are as "dead" as the proverbial doornail. Jesus said that they that worship the Father must worship Him in Spirit and in Truth. Both Spirit and Truth, not either/or. And in keeping with this, many people who have fallen into sin, even deep sin, didn't wake up one day and say "I have a wonderful life. I have a great career, the best kids, and a wife that loves me - then stretches and yawns and says "I think I wil become a crack addict today, or find some cigarettes to smoke or become a drunk." It doesn't happen that way. Sure, some fall into sin as they slowly engage in behavior that they have no business doing, but others use drugs, sex, cigarettes, alcohol, etc, etc as a crutch, or because life has beaten them down. The Bible says that when Jesus would come "a bruised reed he would not break, and a smoking flax shall he not quench." In other words, while he would tell it like it is on a host of issues, he would love people, talk to them about their problems, be willing to dig deep to find out why they were at where they were. He would do both: he would preach against AND for. IOW, He would say that such and such is wrong, but He would want us to say, too, that many are where they are because of an abusive home, were sexually abused, their wife left for no good reason, or a husband beat them like a "dog." Many ministers and perhaps their wives across the U.S. just simply aren't able to do both simultaneously, and fall back on "take your burdens to the Lord and leave them there" because they have nothing personal to offer beyond that. Others say this, and it is true that we are to take our burdens to the Lord and leave them there, but talking to a minsiter, a friend, etc about life - with all of its complexities - isn't "psychology," nor is it a failure to take things to the Lord. Both can be done, and should be done. A husband and wife can go to the altar and shout, be slain in the Spirit, after they get saved, etc, but they will still have the probems of life to deal with - and they - like many - need someone who isn't limited to preaching behind the pulpit broadly about things - an inch deep and a mile wide.......

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brusly Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jindal headlining all-day prayer rally in Baton... 12 hr Cordwainer Trout 2
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sat Observer 19,589
Baton Rouge, in fact all of Louisiana, is the a... Jan 21 pmclegal 5
Louisiana working poor pay higher rate of state... Jan 21 littlefoot 2
prostitutes (Oct '10) Jan 19 durj 6
Jimmy Swaggart Ministries Beg-A-Thon : A 2 Part... (Jun '13) Jan 18 cocoro 132
Review: Gardere Communications Jan 17 Reviewer 1
Brusly Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Brusly People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:41 pm PST

ESPN 3:41PM
Saints owner Benson being sued by family
NBC Sports 8:52 PM
Report: Texans D-line coach Bill Kollar to join Gary Kubiak in Denver
NBC Sports 3:41 AM
Mickey Loomis: Saints letting Junior Galette case run its course before taking any action
NBC Sports 5:04 AM
Saints players shocked by team's ownership squabble
NBC Sports 7:42 AM
Jimmy Graham: Pro Bowl will help dictate if he needs surgery